Queens Bus ideas for 2010 and beyond

Shortline Bus

Hey guys. Feel free to post ideas for improving NYC largest borough in size express/local bus service for after the recession. This includes canning outdated and or low peforming bus lines. This is not from any letter i written just your 'realstic' ideas. Without further delay here my ideas for local Queens buses w/ 'express' buses.

Queens Local/Limited Bus ideas.

Q(1)-Elimante the Queens Village branch since the Q36 and Q110 already provide Downtown Jamaica subway connections. The Q1 serves Braddock Ave on all trips at all times. b)Route becomes the Hillside Ave Local and it's westbound terminal extended to the Supthin-Archer LIRR/(E)(J)(Z)station.

Q(4)-Eastbound terminal extended about 5 blocks and terminates at Elmont Road-Linden in Elmont for transfer to the N-1 and N-8.

Q(5)-a)Full time eastbound terminal is Green Acres Mall via Hook Creek at all times. b)expand Merrick limited stop service to run all day weekdays 6am-9pm to compete with the 'gypsy' cabs and vans.

Rename the Q-5 Rosedale branch the Q(5)a and operates weekdays only as the Merrick Blvd local between Jamaica Center and Rosedale LIRR station via Brooklville Blvd.

Q-(6)extend alternative trips daily and all trips between 10pm-6am to JFK Terminal 4 as a back up for the Airtrain if and during suspension of service.

Most buses still terminate at Cargo area. Serves both the Cargo area and Terminal 4 between 10pm-6am daily.

Q(7)-extended to Eastern Road/JFK Cargo area(Q6 terminal)to provide bus service along most of Rockaway Blvd between Cross Bay/Woodhaven and Farmers and also new transfers to the Q-3 as well. Q40 replaces the Q7 for service along 150th Street *south of Rockaway Blvd.*

Q(9)-extended to the Federal Circle JFK airtrain station. This extension is similar to the Q6 idea is designed in case the Airtrain does not run. Also to relieve overcrowding on the Q10 line as well. Also replaces the Rockaway Blvd/131 St branch of the Q-10.

Q10-All buses run via Conduit/Lefferts Blvd. Q-9 replaces the Q-10 131st Street/Rock Blvd branch. The Q10 remains the same other than this 'minor change. South Ozone Park residents can also the Q37 to get to Kew Gardens station.

Q-11-a)Late Night service is canned and is replaced by the Q-53 for 24/7 coordior along entire length of Woodhaven/Cross Bay Blvd between Queens Blvd and the Rockaways. b)The Howard Beach branch is replaced by shuttle bus between Liberty/Rockaway Blvd (A)station and 165th Avenue.

Q12-Extended to Great Neck LIRR on limited trips when N-20/21 runs(daily 6am-11pm) about every 30 minutes and all trips from 11pm-7am when the N/20/21 does not run. In addition runs along entire length of Northern Blvd between Union St and the NYC/Nassau Border.

Q13 replaces the Q12 along Sanford Ave between Main St and 165th St. Also gets new hourly overnight service as well.

Q-14 merges with the Q34 and becomes the Q34. Weekdays 6am-11pm runs along entire route as Kissena/Parsons Local between Whitestone-7th Avenue and Jamaica-Parsons and Archer. Weekends and Nights as 'semi-shuttle' between 7th Avenue-Whitestone and Main/Roosevelt only. " Gets 1-hour overnight service.

Q16-Rename the Utopia Pwy branch the Q16a and reduced to operating rush hours only. All other times all Q16's runs via FL Blvd/Willets Point Blvd.

Q-17-"Limited' expanded to all day weekdays until 9pm. B)all "Q17 limiteds' extended to 14th Avenue-College Point(existing Q20b terminal)weekdays only replacing the Q20b. c)"local Q17' runs between Main St and Archer/Supthin at all times.

Q18-extended to the Atlas Park Shopping Center in Glendale and creating new transfers to the Q29, Q38 and Q54. Also Q18 Travels along 69th Street between Metro Ave and Woodside Ave reducing travel time w/ endless amount of turns.

More to come. Feel free to post reactions/comments on these first set of idea.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL! Okay. Let's come back to reality here. Let's review this...real quick.

1) The Q1. I like how you just have the Braddock Av service only. Not bad. However, Q1 to Jamaica LIRR Staion...um no. The Q43 is fine along Hillside Av and ridership is not that bad west of Merrick Blvd. The Q43 is good by itself along Hillside Av.

2) The Q4 idea was dicussed MANY times in the past. The reason why it was not done is because the people of Elmont did not feel comfortable having a "city" bus end at that "peaceful" residental area. You get what I'm saying here? Another hint, a little racism involved here. Now you get it?

3) The Q5. Why have the Q5 serve Green Acres Mall ALL the time. Green Acres is not 24 hours, which is why the Q5 ends at Rosedale LIRR Station during the late night and overnight.

4) The Q6, Q7, Q9 and Q10 ideas are not bad (in my opinon) BUT there is (or was) some talk about extending the Q7 to Green Acres Mall via Conduit Av. Again, that was being discussed...I don't think so anymore.

5) The Q11 late night service is needed because you are not going to wait for the Q53 coming from Woodside as oppose to the Q11 beginning right there at Queens Blvd. May not work.

6) The Q12 is still being talked about serving Great Neck and your idea of having the Q12 serve ALL of Northern Blvd between Main St and Glenwood St may not be a bad idea. Keep in mind though that Main St between Northern Blvd and Roosevelt Av is clogged with traffic every freakin day. So that might your ONLY snag.

7) The Q13 idea may work but one thing you have to keep in mind, if the MTA decides to open the doors on Nassau County bus routes, then the N20 and N21 will be serving both ways along Sanford Av. The Q13 is not that much faster either. About 15 minute headways.

8) The Q14. Yeah but there is still talk of actually extending the Q14 to Jamaica. That may NOT go through and just have the Q25 operate by itself along Kissena and Parsons Blvds.

9) The Q16 idea is good BUT I'd extend the Q31 all the way up Utopia Pkwy and therefore you'll just have the Q16 serving Francis Lewis Blvd.

10) The Q17 "LIMITED" is NOT needed serving both directions during the evening rush hour. I was on the Q17 "LOCAL" and I past two limiteds and another local. I can still count how many bus stops as well as how many people got on each stop. That was back on July 24th and today is what...August 14th? Also, did I read correctly...Q17 LIMITED to College Point and Q17 to Archer and Sutphin? Um...no. The Q20B is fine and there's not that much ridership during the weekdays along 14th Av.

11) The Q18 idea is fairly good (again, in my opinon).

Just my two cents!

Queens Local/Limited Bus ideas.-part (2)

Q20b-elimanted and replaced by extended Q17 service along 14th Avenue weekdays only,

Q20a-renamed to just the "Q20' and operates on all trips via 20th Avenue at all times.

Q21.-Couple of years ago in 2007, the (MTA) bus folks made a terrible idea and have the Q21 run as the same route (except for small portion serving Lindenwood)as local version of the Q53. Again playing politics the people of Lindenwood cant have it both ways as this is waste of gas/manpower. They should choose either Queens Blvd or the Rockaways for their terminal. :mad::tdown:

My idea. Run the Q21 between 164th Ave/Cross Bay and Queens Blvd via Lidenwood weekdays 6am-11pm, Saturdays 7am-10pm and Sundays 8am-8pm with 15 minute headways and 20-30 minute headways rest of the day. Use the Q11 or Q53 for more frequent service.

Q22-Create new 1-hour overnight service between Beach 116th-Rockaway Park and Far Rockaway-Mott Avenue service. b)'short turn' Q-22's weekdays and Saturdays until 8pm end at Beach 116th Street.

Q23-Extend Southbound terminal to the Liberty Ave-Rockaway Blvd terminal giving most residents in Southwest Queens for 1st time a direct bus to LGA Airport. New Q-23 route: Current route then via Union Turnpike, Woodhaven, (making limited stops only between Union Turnpike & Liberty Ave)to new terminal. Short turn Q-23 during weekdays still start/end at 71st Ave (E)(F)(R)(V)(G) subway station.

Q-24-Weekdays and Saturdays until appx. 8pm short turn trips (alternative)Q-24's start/end at Broadway Junction (A)(C)(J)(L)(Z) subway transfer station in East NY.

Q-25-All trips during rush hours become Q-25 'limiteds'. Use the Q34 for 'local' service along Kissena/Parsons rush hours.

Q26-Create Sarurday service operating from 6am-11pm Saturday to relieve overcowding on the nearby Q27 line. Headways would be every 20-30 minutes late evenings.

Q27-Operate Limited stop service in both directions rush hours from 530am-10am and 230pm-9pm.

Q-30/31-Increase headways on this line mainly Weekdays. Also Artics should be used on this line as well. Both the Q30/31 routing remains the same.

More to come.

Q44:

1. Run artics.

2. Extend it to connect with the Bx12 SBS.

3. Make it an SBS route.

Q85:

1. Increase service or put artics on this route during Rush Hours.

2. Make the Q85 Limited go to Green Acres.

Q32 and Q47-merge-The new primary route called the Q32 would operate between LGA aiport and Penn Station at all times w/ hourly headways overnights. "short trip' Q32's terminate at 74th Street subway station.

Q33-remains the same.

Q34-see the Q-14.

Q36-Elimnate late night service. Q110 loops in/out via 212nd/212 place overnights between Jamaica Ave and Hilliside and the Q1 is extended to 257thSt/Jericho Turnpike late nights.

Q37-Extened to the Federal Circle JFK airtrain service replacing Q10 131 St/Rockaway Blvd service. Create overnight hourly Q37 service.

Q38 is restuctured. The Q38 Eliot Av branch is replaced by new Q80 line.(see Q80)Q38 Operates between Fresh Pond Rd/67th Ave (M) station and 62nd St/108 Street Forest Hills via 63rd Drive/63rd Road, Penlope/Juniper Valley Road. Q38 becomes weekday only route. Use nearby Q88 and new Q80 route.

Q39 eastbound terminal extended via Cyrpess Ave to the Jamaica Ave-Cypress Hill (J) subway station. Restores bus service along Cypress Ave and provides Spring Creek/East NY residents via B13 and Q56 transfer easy access to Mapeth and Queens Industrial areas in LI City.

Q41-operates via Van Wyck Blvd(aka Van Wyck Highway service road)between 111 Avenue and Atlantic/94th Avenue. Cuts down on endless turns in Richmond Hill area.

Q43-Expand Limited stop service to run all day weekdays until 8pm in both directions between 169th St station and Springfield Blvd. Use Q1 or Q36(until 212 St.) for 'local' Hillside Ave service.

Merge the Q45 and Q49 to run between East Elmhurst(Astoria Blvd-108th St) and eliot ave. New combined route to be called the Q45.

Q46-Expand limited stop service to run rush hours in both directions. Also Q46's needs artics.

Q47-replaced by the Q32.

Q49-merged with the Q45.

Q50-renamed QBX1.

More to come.

Finishing on.

Q53. Create Hourly service overnights between Rockaway Park and Jackson Heights(74th & Roosevelt station)Makes all stops along Cross Bay/Woodhaven 11pm-5am(Saturday late night/Sunday Mornings 11pm-7am)

Q54-Create "limited stop' service between Fresh Pond Road and Supthin/Jamaica Ave rush hours. "Short trips' Q54 start/end at Queens Blvd/Jamica Ave.

Q55-Extended to Queens Blvd/Jamaica Ave to provide Glendale/Ridgewoood residents a 1-seat ride to nearby Jamaica Center and access to the Q60 and the (E) train at Jamaica/Van Wyck station.

Q56-Elimante late night service between 1-5am. Use the nearby (J) line.

Q60-a)needs artics. b)Create Rush Hour limited stop service between Queens Plaza and Union Turnpike-Kew Gardens (E)(F) subway transfer station. c)weekdays until 8pm 'short trip' Q-60's start/end at 33rd Street.

Q64 Extended via 73rd Avenue to 230rd Street-Oakland Gardens. Rush Hours short trip Q64's start/end at 164th Street. Provides 24/7 bus access for Fresh Meadows and Oakland Gardens residents to the Queens Blvdsubway line at Forest Hills.

Q65-Elimante limited stop service. Need artics.

Q66-a)needs artics. b)increased headways & more service for west of 51st Street.

Q67-eastbound terminal extended to the Atlas Park Shopping Center in Glendale. Gives Glendale and Middle Village a direct bus to LIC/Queens Plaza and the industrial areas of western queens. b)westbound terminal extended to Astoria (30rd Avenue and 21st Street).

Q76-Create hourly Sunday service opearting from 8am-9pm.

Q-77 Create hourly Sunday service opearting from 7am-8pm

Merge the Q36 and Q79 w/ alternative Q36's extended to Little Neck Pwy/Hoarce Harding/LIE weekdays 6am-9pm and Saturdays 7am-6pm.

Q102-Operates only between Queens Plaza and Roosevelt Island. 31st Street portion replaced by Q67.

Q103 southbound terminal extended to Greenpoint(Greenpoint Ave/West St)Still operates as weekday only route.

Queens Express Buses to come.

"Q18-extended to the Atlas Park Shopping Center in Glendale and creating new transfers to the Q29, Q38 and Q54. Also Q18 Travels along 69th Street between Metro Ave and Woodside Ave reducing travel time w/ endless amount of turns."

That sounds like a good idea to me. I never understood why the Q18 just doesn't stay on 65th place when going towards Woodside Ave instead of making those turns. I guess to fill a gap. You have the Q45 turning onto 69th St from 51st ave.

"Q18-extended to the Atlas Park Shopping Center in Glendale and creating new transfers to the Q29, Q38 and Q54. Also Q18 Travels along 69th Street between Metro Ave and Woodside Ave reducing travel time w/ endless amount of turns."

That sounds like a good idea to me. I never understood why the Q18 just doesn't stay on 65th place when going towards Woodside Ave instead of making those turns. I guess to fill a gap. You have the Q45 turning onto 69th St from 51st ave.

I am surprised my that officals from (MTA)officals have not done it myself ie changes in the turns in the Glendale/Maspeth area. Even if the service was not extended to Metro Ave, the turns are imo unnessacry especially since on few time i been on Q18 it adds at most 1-2 extra riders per trip. Could it Be NIMBY influenced for now changes to any of former private bus line in that area of Queens?:confused:

I feel like the Q26 could stand to be extended down HHExpwy to Little Neck to ease crowding on the Q30. The Q30/31 don't need artics, they just need better headways. Especially the Q31

The Q36 and Q110 need to switch eastbound terminals IMO and take LTD service off the Q36 its a waste.

If you put artics on the Q46 then you have to decrease headways so you'd just end up having packed artics @ 5 min headways instead of packed 40 footers @ 2-3 min headways. It does need all day LTD service.

The problem with extending the Q64 is that at some point between the current terminal and 188st 73rd avenue is one way W/B. Otherwise its a good idea

The Q79 has no real way of fixing it, alternative Q36's would be too much service on LN Pkwy, not mention the LIRR STA would have no service with your idea. There isn't any way to get more riders on the route as there's nothing of importance on LN Pkwy.

I feel like the Q26 could stand to be extended down HHExpwy to Little Neck to ease crowding on the Q30. The Q30/31 don't need artics, they just need better headways. Especially the Q31

The problem with extending the Q64 is that at some point between the current terminal and 188st 73rd avenue is one way W/B. Otherwise its a good idea.

The Q26 idea is not a bad idea. Extend it to Horace Harding Expwy and Springfield Blvd. Don't increase the schedule, just the route.

The Q64 idea, Jewel Av is one-way EASTBOUND from 164th St to 168th St. I would think using 164th St to 73rd Av and then just follows the Q75 from there UNLESS the Q64 would continue up 73rd Av to the end (which is 230th St). Not bad though.

Q1-Elimante the Queens Village branch since the Q36 and Q110 already provide Downtown Jamaica subway connections. The Q1 serves Braddock Ave on all trips at all times. b)Route becomes the Hillside Ave Local and it's westbound terminal extended to the Supthin-Archer LIRR/(E)(J)(Z)station.

Realistically, I don't know much about the ridership patterns of who uses which branch on the Q1 more... but I will say, I do see a good portion of people on the LIRR QV branch...

Q4-Eastbound terminal extended about 5 blocks and terminates at Elmont Road-Linden in Elmont for transfer to the N-1 and N-8.

No. for more reasons than one... TransitMan already gave 2 of them....

Q5-a)Full time eastbound terminal is Green Acres Mall via Hook Creek at all times. b)expand Merrick limited stop service to run all day weekdays 6am-9pm to compete with the 'gypsy' cabs and vans

Rename the Q-5 Rosedale branch the Q5a and operates weekdays only as the Merrick Blvd local between Jamaica Center and Rosedale LIRR station via Brooklville Blvd.

No & No... Q5 service/routing/numbering is fine.

Q6 extend alternative trips daily and all trips between 10pm-6am to JFK Terminal 4 as a back up for the Airtrain if and during suspension of service.

Most buses still terminate at Cargo area. Serves both the Cargo area and Terminal 4 between 10pm-6am daily.

Either that, or stop it just short of Farmers.... any one else needing access to the main terminals can xfer/walk to the Q3...

Q7-extended to Eastern Road/JFK Cargo area(Q6 terminal)to provide bus service along most of Rockaway Blvd between Cross Bay/Woodhaven and Farmers and also new transfers to the Q-3 as well. Q40 replaces the Q7 for service along 150th Street *south of Rockaway Blvd.*

I will never understand the point & purpose of where (current) Q7's layover...

I guess this isn't too bad of an idea, given what you think should be done to the Q6....

Q9-extended to the Federal Circle JFK airtrain station. This extension is similar to the Q6 idea is designed in case the Airtrain does not run. Also to relieve overcrowding on the Q10 line as well. Also replaces the Rockaway Blvd/131 St branch of the Q-10.

Negative. That route doesn't have to serve any portion of the airport...

I do agree that the Q10 doesn't really need (or shouldn't) have 2 branches anymore... the Q9 can continue down 131st, and share a terminal w/ the Q37, or terminate short of north conduit... I forget which express bus it is; the one that goes down lefferts.....

Q10-All buses run via Conduit/Lefferts Blvd. Q-9 replaces the Q-10 131st Street/Rock Blvd branch. The Q10 remains the same other than this 'minor change. South Ozone Park residents can also the Q37 to get to Kew Gardens station.

What about Q10 LTD's that go straight to the Lefferts blvd AIRTrain station?

Q-11-a)Late Night service is canned and is replaced by the Q-53 for 24/7 coordior along entire length of Woodhaven/Cross Bay Blvd between Queens Blvd and the Rockaways. b)The Howard Beach branch is replaced by shuttle bus between Liberty/Rockaway Blvd (A)station and 165th Avenue.

I might be inclined to agreeing w/ you on this one (well, not on the shuttle bus part, though)... as of late, I've been taking BM5's on some days after work, and QM16's as well... I notice how much more used the Q53 is, around 8/9pm....

Q12-Extended to Great Neck LIRR on limited trips when N-20/21 runs(daily 6am-11pm) about every 30 minutes and all trips from 11pm-7am when the N/20/21 does not run. In addition runs along entire length of Northern Blvd between Union St and the NYC/Nassau Border.

Strongly disagree... you know my stance on this already...

Q13 replaces the Q12 along Sanford Ave between Main St and 165th St. Also gets new hourly overnight service as well.

robbing peter to pay paul... you want to send Q12's to great neck - knowing that'll increase riders per run, you want the 13 to cover the sanford av portion of the 12 (which also picks up quite a bit, as well).... so yeh, disagree w/ this also...

Q-14 merges with the Q34 and becomes the Q34. Weekdays 6am-11pm runs along entire route as Kissena/Parsons Local between Whitestone-7th Avenue and Jamaica-Parsons and Archer. Weekends and Nights as 'semi-shuttle' between 7th Avenue-Whitestone and Main/Roosevelt only. " Gets 1-hour overnight service.

eh, the Q14 itself is a dead draw.. it'd be like increasing unnecessary mileage on an route such as the Q34... The more & more I think about it, may as well leave the 14 alone....

Q16-Rename the Utopia Pwy branch the Q16a and reduced to operating rush hours only. All other times all Q16's runs via FL Blvd/Willets Point Blvd.

Quick, which branch is used more? the willets pt. branch or the Utopia branch? ;)

Q-17-"Limited' expanded to all day weekdays until 9pm. B)all "Q17 limiteds' extended to 14th Avenue-College Point(existing Q20b terminal)weekdays only replacing the Q20b. c)"local Q17' runs between Main St and Archer/Supthin at all times.

agree w/ Transit man... from what I see (and experienced firsthand), there are more ppl. taking locals over LTD's, especially along HHE & points north (towards flushing) anyway....

Q18-extended to the Atlas Park Shopping Center in Glendale and creating new transfers to the Q29, Q38 and Q54. Also Q18 Travels along 69th Street between Metro Ave and Woodside Ave reducing travel time w/ endless amount of turns.

agreed... those unnecessary turns only adds to the runtime of the route... I would also have this terminate w/ the B57

Q20b-elimanted and replaced by extended Q17 service along 14th Avenue weekdays only,

Just eliminate this branch. I don't think a need for a replacement

Q20a-renamed to just the "Q20' and operates on all trips via 20th Avenue at all times.

Long as the routing is unchanged, you can call it whatever ya want ;)

Q21.-Couple of years ago in 2007, the bus folks made a terrible idea and have the Q21 run as the same route (except for small portion serving Lindenwood)as local version of the Q53. Again playing politics the people of Lindenwood cant have it both ways as this is waste of gas/manpower. They should choose either Queens Blvd or the Rockaways for their terminal.

My idea. Run the Q21 between 164th Ave/Cross Bay and Queens Blvd via Lidenwood weekdays 6am-11pm, Saturdays 7am-10pm and Sundays 8am-8pm with 15 minute headways and 20-30 minute headways rest of the day. Use the Q11 or Q53 for more frequent service.

Not so sure about the times of operation (b/c quite frankly, I haven't thought about it)....

Rest of the post, I absolutely agree with this.... Well put bro.

Q22-Create new 1-hour overnight service between Beach 116th-Rockaway Park and Far Rockaway-Mott Avenue service. b)'short turn' Q-22's weekdays and Saturdays until 8pm end at Beach 116th Street.

Not unreasonable...

Q23-Extend Southbound terminal to the Liberty Ave-Rockaway Blvd terminal giving most residents in Southwest Queens for 1st time a direct bus to LGA Airport. New Q-23 route: Current route then via Union Turnpike, Woodhaven, (making limited stops only between Union Turnpike & Liberty Ave)to new terminal. Short turn Q-23 during weekdays still start/end at 71st Ave subway station.

I don't exactly care for the current Q23 terminal situation down there on union tpke. either, but.... Nah, that's too far-fetched to have it connect w/ the A train....

Q-24-Weekdays and Saturdays until appx. 8pm short turn trips (alternative)Q-24's start/end at Broadway Junction subway transfer station in East NY.

Not sure what you're trying to fully convey w/ this one....

Q-25-All trips during rush hours become Q-25 'limiteds'. Use the Q34 for 'local' service along Kissena/Parsons rush hours.

disagree... Q25 service is fine...

Q26-Create Sarurday service operating from 6am-11pm Saturday to relieve overcowding on the nearby Q27 line. Headways would be every 20-30 minutes late evenings.

I give up w/ thinking of ways to improve the Q26...

Q27-Operate Limited stop service in both directions rush hours from 530am-10am and 230pm-9pm.

How frequently, is the question....

Q-30/31-Increase headways on this line mainly Weekdays. Also Artics should be used on this line as well. Both the Q30/31 routing remains the same.

Increase headways AND add artics... a bit much, ya think?

putting artics on particular runs might not be a bad idea for the 30 (something like they do w/ the M100), but the 31? that's overkill if you ask me....

Q32 and Q47-merge-The new primary route called the Q32 would operate between LGA aiport and Penn Station at all times w/ hourly headways overnights. "short trip' Q32's terminate at 74th Street subway station.

Once upon a time, ppl. wanted to combine the 32 w/ the 33... now (guess this is your way of being original w/ your ideas) you think the 32 & the 47 should merge... the reasons why the 32/33 shouldn't merge are the same reasons the 32/47 shouldn't merge...

and two.... you do realize the 47 doesn't serve the main terminal area in LGA?

Q36-Elimnate late night service. Q110 loops in/out via 212nd/212 place overnights between Jamaica Ave and Hilliside and the Q1 is extended to 257thSt/Jericho Turnpike late nights.

I don't know about late night service, bro.... but LTD service on that route... Adios... ASAP...

Q37-Extened to the Federal Circle JFK airtrain service replacing Q10 131 St/Rockaway Blvd service. Create overnight hourly Q37 service.

Nah... same reason Q23's shouldn't all directly serve JFK... every route that runs near the airport doesn't have to serve it...

Q38 is restuctured. The Q38 Eliot Av branch is replaced by new Q80 line.(see Q80)Q38 Operates between Fresh Pond Rd/67th Ave station and 62nd St/108 Street Forest Hills via 63rd Drive/63rd Road, Penlope/Juniper Valley Road. Q38 becomes weekday only route. Use nearby Q88 and new Q80 route.

Right now, I'm skimming through all these ideas & briefly commenting.... I'm gonna have to think this one over... but yeh, the consensus is to somehow split that route....

Q39 eastbound terminal extended via Cyrpess Ave to the Jamaica Ave-Cypress Hill subway station. Restores bus service along Cypress Ave and provides Spring Creek/East NY residents via B13 and Q56 transfer easy access to Mapeth and Queens Industrial areas in LI City.

Not your *ideal* terminal, but leave the Q39 over there on Cooper av....

Let the B13 be the only route that serves those chicanes separating those cemetaries at cypress hills st)....

Q41-operates via Van Wyck Blvd(aka Van Wyck Highway service road)between 111 Avenue and Atlantic/94th Avenue. Cuts down on endless turns in Richmond Hill area.

Sounds nice, but the problem is the gap in service you'd then create.... there's just about nothing that can be done w/ the Q41 in that area... plus the Q9 uses van wyck blvd serv. rd anyway....

Q43-Expand Limited stop service to run all day weekdays until 8pm in both directions between 169th St station and Springfield Blvd. Use Q1 or Q36(until 212 St.) for 'local' Hillside Ave service.

Not sure if that's the answer or not, but I also see this happen on the Q43:

^^

I see people let Q1s and Q36s go by just to get on an already crowded Q43 and get off at a stop the 1 and 36 serve

----

Merge the Q45 and Q49 to run between East Elmhurst(Astoria Blvd-108th St) and eliot ave. New combined route to be called the Q45.

Ok, but realize after such a merge, that it would only be able to utilize the 74th st terminal in one direction (southbound)... Where would the northbound stop be located?

Other than that issue, I agree w/ this.

Q46-Expand limited stop service to run rush hours in both directions. Also Q46's needs artics.

I suppose I can agree to both aspects of this idea...

Q53. Create Hourly service overnights between Rockaway Park and Jackson Heights(74th & Roosevelt station)Makes all stops along Cross Bay/Woodhaven 11pm-5am(Saturday late night/Sunday Mornings 11pm-7am)

I can agree to this.

Q54-Create "limited stop' service between Fresh Pond Road and Supthin/Jamaica Ave rush hours. "Short trips' Q54 start/end at Queens Blvd/Jamica Ave.

Nope. Metropolitan is too narrow for a ltd to make a real difference... and what would be the point of short turning Q54's @ QB/Jamaica?

Q55-Extended to Queens Blvd/Jamaica Ave to provide Glendale/Ridgewoood residents a 1-seat ride to nearby Jamaica Center and access to the Q60 and the train at Jamaica/Van Wyck station.

I would leave the Q55 as is...

Q56-Elimante late night service between 1-5am. Use the nearby line.

didn't know this route had a hawk...

Q60-a)needs artics. b)Create Rush Hour limited stop service between Queens Plaza and Union Turnpike-Kew Gardens subway transfer station. c)weekdays until 8pm 'short trip' Q-60's start/end at 33rd Street.

I'd try LTD service before I throw artics on this route... problem w/ Q60's is that they bunch... and often.

far as short turning buses @ 33rd st... 33rd/QB is so arbitrary...

Q64 Extended via 73rd Avenue to 230rd Street-Oakland Gardens. Rush Hours short trip Q64's start/end at 164th Street. Provides 24/7 bus access for Fresh Meadows and Oakland Gardens residents to the Queens Blvdsubway line at Forest Hills.

I'd like to know what routing you have this taking...

But in hindsight, I can agree w/ the idea...

Q66-a)needs artics. b)increased headways & more service for west of 51st Street.

Disagree w/ this route needing artics... the Q66 simply needs consistent service; whether that's in the form of increased headways, maybe.... thing is, buses arrive too infrequently/erratically... far as 51st goes, there's not too many people on 66's heading to/from QBP....

Q67-eastbound terminal extended to the Atlas Park Shopping Center in Glendale. Gives Glendale and Middle Village a direct bus to LIC/Queens Plaza and the industrial areas of western queens. b)westbound terminal extended to Astoria (30rd Avenue and 21st Street).

yeah, but do they want a one-seat ride to QBP, via the industrial areas no less? Knowing those ppl., highly doubt it.... Especially not knowing if the bus will show up or not (that's the Q67 for ya).... The Q54 was re-routed there, and the Q45 was extended there, that's enough service for Atlas...

Q76-Create hourly Sunday service opearting from 8am-9pm.

Q-77 Create hourly Sunday service opearting from 7am-8pm

Merge the Q36 and Q79 w/ alternative Q36's extended to Little Neck Pwy/Hoarce Harding/LIE weekdays 6am-9pm and Saturdays 7am-6pm.

for starters, little neck pkwy/horace harding would be a truncation of your idea, not an extension....

Regardless, this is by far the worst idea out of the bunch.. If this is your way of connecting the LIRR Pt. Washington branch w/ the rest of the branches, no one in their right mind will take another bus from LIRR Jamaica, to the Q36, ride that outright, and catch the LIRR from there... that's easily an hour and a half ride... taking the Q17 would be so much easier to accomplish said task.... with this, all you'd be doing is prolonging the Q36 for absolutely no reason at all...

Q102-Operates only between Queens Plaza and Roosevelt Island. 31st Street portion replaced by Q67.

Don't know about the ridership on the 102 to comment... The Q67 running along 31st I don't agree with, though....

Q103 southbound terminal extended to Greenpoint (Greenpoint Ave/West St)Still operates as weekday only route.

Why is it that the 103 still even exists? What 5 people is keeping this route afloat.....

I can guarantee you get strict supervision on the Q60 bunching won't be a problem. I spoke to a lot of drivers and they all seem to say the same thing. They don't follow time points until management says something to the dispatchers. This week there were traffic checkers out for the PM rush and on both those days I know at least 10 drivers who were on time that normally would be 10 minutes early.

B35: I was going to quote your post but its late and I'm being lazy ;)

With the Q1 if someone was coming from the (F) then they should just take the Q36 and walk if they need the area around QV LIRR Sta. And if they are just on Hillside and need Springfield BLVD they could just take the Q1 Bellerose or Q43 and change to the Q27 or Q88.

Q5: Can we get a few LTD runs going to Green Acres?

Q14: The thing that gets me about this route is that it basically overlaps the Q34so the might as well become one route, its a waste to have them both serving the same area up until Willets Pt Blvd.

Q16: Which branch does have more riders? I've never taken the Q16

Q26: what about the extension to HH Expwy and at least Springfield Bl?

Q27: I say every 8-10 mins off peak and the bus needs to run the full route late nights

Q30: I just don't see the point in Artics on the route if they beef up the headways. 90% of the time East of 188 St I feel like I'm on the Q79, its empty. I mean there are times when it gets packed but if the damn bus wasn't running on 10-15 min headways that wouldn't happen.

Q31: I always luck out and catch the bus if I need it. But like I've said about the Bx20 unless its at the stop or one absolutely needs it, no one will say they waited for a Q31 just for the fun of it.

Q36: The extension of the Q1 to Floral Park at nights isn't bad I just doubt Jamaica Av have needs any service over there at night. Glen Oaks/Floral Park is dead at 5 pm on a friday so I can't imagine people being upset about no late night service.

I just want to add that Artics on a route= longer headways and less buses on the route. As it stands there are few Queens routes I could see benefitting from that.

Q33-remains the same.

Q34-see the Q-14.

Q38 is restuctured. The Q38 Eliot Av branch is replaced by new Q80 line.(see Q80)Q38 Operates between Fresh Pond Rd/67th Ave (M) station and 62nd St/108 Street Forest Hills via 63rd Drive/63rd Road, Penlope/Juniper Valley Road. Q38 becomes weekday only route. Use nearby Q88 and new Q80 route.

Q39 eastbound terminal extended via Cyrpess Ave to the Jamaica Ave-Cypress Hill (J) subway station. Restores bus service along Cypress Ave and provides Spring Creek/East NY residents via B13 and Q56 transfer easy access to Mapeth and Queens Industrial areas in LI City.

Q47-replaced by the Q32.

Q49-merged with the Q45.

Q50-renamed QBX1.

More to come.

Q41 - You are going to piss off alot of people who live along 127th-129th Street between 109 & Atlantic Aves. I used to live at 127th and the Q41 is one of the many lifelines there.

Q32 - Extending it to LGA is just bad. Thats what we have the M60 for.

B35: I was going to quote your post but its late and I'm being lazy B)

haha... I understand... I was being rather brief, myself... @ the same token, I wanted to comment on all the routes he mentioned... plus, a lot of his ideas I've commented on in the past, so I didn't want to say too much.... well, w/ that said....

With the Q1 if someone was coming from the (F) then they should just take the Q36 and walk if they need the area around QV LIRR Sta. And if they are just on Hillside and need Springfield BLVD they could just take the Q1 Bellerose or Q43 and change to the Q27 or Q88.

A few, or a few more? I never paid attention if Q5's were LTD's or not running out of Green Acres... when I'm out there waiting for a bus, I'm like, I'm ready to hop on anything, b/c it's going to jamaica center regardless :(

Q14: The thing that gets me about this route is that it basically overlaps the Q34 so the might as well become one route, its a waste to have them both serving the same area up until Willets Pt Blvd.

out of the 14 (whitestone)/15 (powells cove apt's)/16 (willets pt/utopia), the 14 has the lowest ridership... I say let those riders have their little service to flushing, simply b/c they would be the odd ones out, having to wait for buses coming all the way from Jamaica...

...unless you have short run Q34's throughout the day that run from Whitestone to Flushing....

Q16: Which branch does have more riders? I've never taken the Q16

Q16 in its entirety is poor.. but the willets pt branch has more riders b/c there's more service given to it... those buses don't always alternate like it shows on the timetables, that's for sure... I'd say 2 out of every 3 buses use willets pt.....

besides, the ppl. you may see waiting for buses along utopia are most likely waiting for the express anyway (qm2a)....

Q26: what about the extension to HH Expwy and at least Springfield Bl?

Oh I'm not saying they're bad ideas... I just don't know which extension would be the most beneficial... I've heard a couple ideas involving that route... the most original one I've heard so far, was having it serve/terminate @ QCC, continue down springfield, to HHE, up hollis ct., to regular route... this would (still) act as somewhat of a supplement to the Q27, while giving students a better chance of the infamous "one seat ride"... lol... but (like any idea), it has its pros & cons......

another idea I've heard, is extending it down francis lewis, en route to LIRR QV.... don't really like that one as much, but, meh....

Q27: I say every 8-10 mins off peak and the bus needs to run the full route late nights

I can agree to that.

Q30: I just don't see the point in Artics on the route if they beef up the headways. 90% of the time East of 188 St I feel like I'm on the Q79, its empty. I mean there are times when it gets packed but if the damn bus wasn't running on 10-15 min headways that wouldn't happen.

I definitely see your where you're coming from, bro....

What I meant was, throwing an artic or two when the # of students waiting for a bus gets real ridiculous, since the 30 serves so many schools, with which said students heavily rely on a bus; i.e. saying, the school trippers being artics only (1 in the AM, 1 in the PM perhaps)... my fault if I implied that artics should run on the Q30 throughout the day b/c you & I know that's unnecessary.... that's what I was hinting towards....

Q31: I always luck out and catch the bus if I need it. But like I've said about the Bx20 unless its at the stop or one absolutely needs it, no one will say they waited for a Q31 just for the fun of it.

hah, it's the opposite for me... that bus just about never comes when I need it... but if I'm on another connecting bus, it's waiting right @ a stop... how's that for dumb luck.....

Q36: The extension of the Q1 to Floral Park at nights isn't bad I just doubt Jamaica Av have needs any service over there at night. Glen Oaks/Floral Park is dead at 5 pm on a friday so I can't imagine people being upset about no late night service.

Makes sense.

I just want to add that Artics on a route= longer headways and less buses on the route. As it stands there are few Queens routes I could see benefitting from that.

IAWTP.

...and I'm curious as to what routes you think would fit the criteria

The Q36 and Q110 need to switch eastbound terminals IMO and take LTD service off the Q36 its a waste.

If you put artics on the Q46 then you have to decrease headways so you'd just end up having packed artics @ 5 min headways instead of packed 40 footers @ 2-3 min headways. It does need all day LTD service.

The problem with extending the Q64 is that at some point between the current terminal and 188st 73rd avenue is one way W/B. Otherwise its a good idea

The Q79 has no real way of fixing it, alternative Q36's would be too much service on LN Pkwy, not mention the LIRR STA would have no service with your idea. There isn't any way to get more riders on the route as there's nothing of importance on LN Pkwy.

I actually thought the Q36 and Q112 should 'switch' their terminals in Eastern Queens/City Line myself. I decided against it because i thought the NIMBYS IN FLORAL PARK WILL GO NUTS AND WANT A 1 SEAT RIDE TO THE (F) line at 179th/Hillside.

On the Q79, if you guys feel mergering it with any Flushing or Downtown Jamaica route is a bad idea i can agree. I DONT LIVE IN QUEENS BUT I HAVE FRIENDS/RELATIVES I VISIT ON OCCASION.

IMO Routes like the Q79, M8, s60, bx14, B31 and B2(NON-RUSH HOURS)would be perfect lines to have smaller 30-foot buses that holds no more than 25-30 passengers. In other words a bus size like the Orion brand used in Westchester on the Bee line #12 and #16 and Suffolk County on most of their routes.

Any More Reactions?

Yes the Q31 needs more service!!I've wasted a good fraction of my life waiting for that damn bus just to stand on a crowded suburban Orion V from Bayside to Jamaica
I alway wonder why they have have orion v suburan on that line.....that's a big line on school days at least put orion v with just reg seats on them..........or pull a q 17 and run it 5 to 6 mins mon to fri......my thing with the. Q25 running ltd but them u will have to add more buses on the on that route.....that's gonna be a nightmare for driver....u got the 25 and the 34....then the 17 come in then the 27 that's a big nightmare....hudson how do u feel about that........

(J)(F)(K)......(JFK)

B35: I was going to quote your post but its late and I'm being lazy B)

Exactly, the same thing for the Q85.

I used to take the Q30 everyday and during rush hours it is as packed as the Q44, and I hate when they put those "Coach RTS" buses on it, one June it was very hot and the bus was packed with no AC and I was standing in the aisle and there was literally a lack of oxygen, I was going to get off the bus but half the people got off on Springfield Blvd so I stayed on all the way to my stop in Little Neck. The Q30 needs artics during rush hours though, a lot of the time I couldn't even get on the bus because it was too packed, I don't know about the Q31.

Routes that could use some artics:

Q6 (rush hour)

Q11 (all day)

Q20/44 (all day)

Q30 (rush hour)

Q46 (rush hour)

Q60 (all day)

Q85 (rush hour)

Q111/113 (rush hour)

I alway wonder why they have have orion v suburan on that line.....that's a big line on school days at least put orion v with just reg seats on them..........or pull a q 17 and run it 5 to 6 mins mon to fri......my thing with the. Q25 running ltd but them u will have to add more buses on the on that route.....that's gonna be a nightmare for driver....u got the 25 and the 34....then the 17 come in then the 27 that's a big nightmare....hudson how do u feel about that........

(J)(F)(K)......(JFK)

Queens needs artics badly on a few lines. Not confirmed but i hear Baisley will get artics and the Q111/113 will be full artculated as early by end of 2010.

Q25 is another line that a good fit for artics since Kissena/Parsons are very wide. However IMO the Q65 does not need limited stop service.

Just my takes.

Archived