If you could make service anyway you wanted, how would make it?

NYCTNostalgia

After long deliberation and soul searching I have thought of stuff.

(E) and (F) stay express on Queens Blvd on weekends.

(V)'s last stop is Queen's Plaza on weekend with local service throughout the Queens Blvd line up to 71st-Forest Hills.

(R) doesn't go to Queens on weekends with the last stop at 59th street and lexington

I'm pretty sure there is a 1000 different ways this is wrong though.

After long deliberation and soul searching I have thought of stuff.

(E) and (F) stay express on Queens Blvd on weekends.

(V)'s last stop is Queen's Plaza on weekend with local service throughout the Queens Blvd line up to 71st-Forest Hills.

(R) doesn't go to Queens on weekends with the last stop at 59th street and lexington

I'm pretty sure there is a 1000 different ways this is wrong though.

How will the (R) relay at Lexington Avenue?

How will the (R) relay at Lexington Avenue?

999 reasons left to go why what I posted would not work. I guess should explan myself then, if by some metaphysical shock in the universe I was put in charge and I wanted to make the (V) run on the Queens Blvd line by its lonesome self then that would make it hard for any other local to run on Queens Blvd, so their last stop would have to be in manhattan.

On second look, the only way it can work would be to make the the last stop on the (R) 57th street, I'm pretty sure it can lay-up at 63rd and Lex.

I think the easiest solution to Queens Blvd. weekend service is to have the (G)(R) run local, while the (E)(F) run express. Everyone is happy.

It's too bad that for almost a decade this service pattern had never really fallen through. :mad:

I agree with your changes to the BMT and IRT lines. I also fully support the changes proposed with regards to the (A) and (C) trains; the changes seem to enjoy widespread support on these forums. I am considering writing to Howard Roberts to pick his brains on the subject and to get a free Metrocard;)

Your proposed changes to the (;), (D) and (V) are fine with me, but I am not a regular rider on these lines outside of Manhattan, so I am not in a position to comment on service changes in Brooklyn or the Bronx. I do have reservations about sending the (F) via 53rd St, though.

I think the (G) should be extended to 71 Av-Forest Hills, especially on weekends. A few months ago, I was unaware that it doesn't do so, and I needed to get to 46 St on the QBL on a weekend. I thought the fastest way to get there would be to transfer from the (A) to the (L) at Broadway Junction and to the (G) at Lorimer St. Unfortunately, after braving a 30 minutes shuttle bus ride from Myrtle Av to Lorimer St due to a G.O. on the (L), I got on a (G), only to have to get off at Court Sq., take the (E) from 23rd St-Ely Av and transfer to the (R) at Queens Plaza. Of course, I could have simply taken the (A) to 42nd St in Manhattan and transferred to the (R), but thinking I had a shorter journey, I chose not to go through Manhattan with disastrous results (a two-and-a-half hour journey to get from one point in Queens to another point in Queens). It is particularly bad when there is no (G) on the QBL, the (R) is missing due to a G.O. and the (E) is running on the 6Av line in Manhattan, as happened a few weeks ago.

(H) or Rockaway Park (S) shuttle service should stay as it is. Remember that there is a single track connecting the two Rockaway branches at Hammels Wye. If you send a shuttle to Far Rockaway, then that train would have to turn around and make the reverse journey up to Beach 67th St and then switch to the connecting track at Hammels Wye, possibly holding up Far Rockaway-bound (A) trains at the Wye, and also preventing another shuttle going from Rock Park to the Far Rock branch from using the connection until it has passed, or at least reached, Beach 90th St. Theoretically, the problems could be reduced (but not eliminated) by stopping the shuttle at Beach 67th St (so that passengers to Manhattan can transfer via the mezzanine/cross-under to the Manhattan-bound platform), but people wishing to go to the other stations on the Far Rock branch would have to wait for a southbound (A) train, in a manner little different from the present system of transferring at Broad Channel. The switch at Broad Channel works far better, since the shuttle can quickly move out to one of the shorter side tracks just beyond the platform, allowing smooth movement of (A) trains and an easy way to reverse the shuttle back to Rockaway Park. (One could foreseeably run the shuttle in a loop connecting Rock Park, Far Rock and Broad Channel, but this would cause congestion and turnaround problems at both Far Rock and Broad Channel, helping little).

I understand you wanting to serve everyone at the current (A) terminals with express service, but sending the (E) express to Lefferts, a (K) to Rockaway Park, the (A) to Far Rockaway exclusively, and a (C) to serve the local Fulton St stations (regardless of whether you extend it beyond Euclid Ave or not) will cause unbelievable congestion between Canal St and Jay St, since the (E) will no longer end up in a different part of Chambers St, and a (K) would be thrown into the mix to add to the congestion already caused by the (C) and (A) converging onto one line. Rockaway Park has far too few riders to demand full-time service, let alone express service. The current system works fine, between 6:38 and 7:59am, there are trains every 10 minutes from the Rock Park line, alternating between special (A) trains to Manhattan and the Rock Park shuttle. Headways are actually lower during certain rush hour periods from Rock Park than it is from Far Rock, although Far Rock has 4 times as many riders on its branch.

Sending an (E) and a (K) would increase headways along the Fulton St express line so much that any advantage to each terminal having its own express service would be more than wiped out. Given that Lefferts would still have the (C) and the Rock Park riders their shuttle, Far Rock riders would be worst hit, even though they comprise as many or more riders than the Lefferts and Rock Park branches combined. The idea behind sending the (C) permanently to Lefferts and the (A) permanently to Far Rock is to reduce headways on both lines. Lefferts riders can avoid the local by transferring to the (A) at one of the express stops (an (A) can be held at Euclid for a while for this purpose), meaning that although they do not get a "one-seat ride", Lefferts riders still benefit from reduced waiting times at stations.

The idea is to send all (A) trains to one designated terminal, not reincarnate present Lefferts and Rock Park service the (E) and (K) respectively, despite their starting at 179th St. I therefore agree only with your proposed changes to the (A) and (C) lines, and perhaps the (E) with some modifications (perhaps rush hour only express service to Lefferts), but not the (E) as you described, and not the (K) either.

In short, no matter the opposition, I plan:

Send all (C) to Lefferts

The exclusive Queens terminal for the (A) is Far Rockaway.

During rush hours, send 4 (A) trips to/from Rockaway Park. 4 (A) trips to and from Lefferts. That way, during rush hours, Lefferts people will get their one-seat express ride into Midtown.

my idea:

8th av trains

(A)207th st INWOOD-Far Rockaway/Mott av(8th AV EXP/Fulton st LCL)

EXP late nights

©168th ST-Lefferts Blvd(8th AV LCL/Fulton st EXP)*late night take (K)

(E)same

(H)Rockaway shuttle to Rockaway park Beach 116th st (at all times)

(K)Norwood 205st-Metropolitan Av VIA chrystie st connector(BRX EXP peak direction only/8th AV EXP/BKLYN LCL)

*rush hour service only****switches from 8th av to 6th av at W4th ST

*late night service 168th MANHTN LCL-lefferts blvd Fulton st LCL

6th av

(:)(D)same

(F)179th st-coney island

via 53rd st/culver exp/6th lcl/jamaica exp/QNS blvd EXP

(Q6)179th st-kings hwy

via 63rd st/culver LCL/6th av LCL/Jamaica LCL/Queens BLVD EXP

(V)eliminated

B'WAY

(N)same

(Q)forest hills-coney island

QNS blvd LCL/B'way EXP/Brighton LCL

via 63rd st lcl

®same

(W)same **except make it astoria EXP peak direction only

crosstown

(G)court Sq-church Av

nassau st

(J)(M)jamaica CTR-Broad st*at all times

QNS-BKLYN EXP/nassau st exp

<R>Metropolitan av-Bay Ridge 95th st

nassau st lcl/skip stop service in brooklyn

(Z)canarsie rockaway pkwy-bay pkwy

nassau st lcl/QNS-Bklyn lcl/west end LCL

*rush hour service only*

i know there are a lot of problems with this....:):o

my idea:

8th av trains

EXP late nights

(E)same

(K)Norwood 205st-Metropolitan Av VIA chrystie st connector(BRX EXP peak direction only/8th AV EXP/BKLYN LCL)

*rush hour service only****switches from 8th av to 6th av at W4th ST

*late night service 168th MANHTN LCL-lefferts blvd Fulton st LCL

6th av

(:)(D)same

(F)179th st-coney island

via 53rd st/culver exp/6th lcl/jamaica exp/QNS blvd EXP

(Q6)179th st-kings hwy

via 63rd st/culver LCL/6th av LCL/Jamaica LCL/Queens BLVD EXP

(V)eliminated

B'WAY

(N)same

(Q)forest hills-coney island

QNS blvd LCL/B'way EXP/Brighton LCL

via 63rd st lcl

®same

(W)same **except make it astoria EXP peak direction only

crosstown

(G)court Sq-church Av

nassau st

(J)(M)jamaica CTR-Broad st*at all times

QNS-BKLYN EXP/nassau st exp

<R>Metropolitan av-Bay Ridge 95th st

nassau st lcl/skip stop service in brooklyn

(Z)canarsie rockaway pkwy-bay pkwy

nassau st lcl/QNS-Bklyn lcl/west end LCL

*rush hour service only*

i know there are a lot of problems with this....:):o

i like ur idea of both (Q6)(Q) trains.

Interesting, but flexibility issues. How are you going to send both the N and R via 60th from Bway Express with the Q on Bway Local to terminate at 57/7?

i kno, thats y i came up with this idea...

the (N)(Q) can switch terminals, the (Q) operates local to Astoria 24/7, the (R) runs via Queens Blvd Local-Broadway Exp via Bridge (weekends via Broadway Local via Bridge)-4 Av Local, and the (N) can terminate at 57 St/7 Av @ all times via Broadway Exp-4 Av Exp (Late Nights 4 Av Local). (W) remains unchanged.

my idea:

8th av trains

EXP late nights

(E)same

While I understand your intention of trying to pacify Lefferts riders by making the (C) express along Fulton St and local in Manhattan only, that is still an unfair advantage to them, given that they already have a much shorter journey, and putting 6 million annual riders to the Rockaways and Howard Beach on a local isn't going to go down well at all. Full-time express (A) (late nights aside) to the Rockaways is required simply because of the greater distance Rockaway residents and tourists/surfers have to travel. Adding another 10-12 minutes onto their commute is hardly fair.

Currently the (A) goes from West 4th St to Lefferts or Howard Beach in about 40 minutes. Your proposed changes would make it 30 minutes for Lefferts (all good for Lefferts riders), but 50-52 minutes for Howard Beach. It takes another 20 minutes to get from Howard Beach to Far Rockaway, so that would be 70-72 minutes. Not to mention the pitiful morning rush-hour headways on the (A) means one often has to wait at the station for upwards of 12 minutes, and the wide spacing between stations (e.g nothing between Beach 90th and 67th Sts, and again between Beach 60th and 44th) means it takes around 6-10 minutes to walk to the station (unless you get the Q22 immediately). Added together, that would make a journey to Lower Manhattan from Far Rockaway around 90 minutes. This is a figure that doesn't include delays of any kind, and rush hour trips typically take 10 minutes longer due to congestion on the track and trains being held in the station longer as more people get on and off than usual. Once at West 4th St, it would take another 5-6 minutes to get to 42nd St and 8 minutes to get to 59th. Even if you manage to take the Q22 bus to the station (or get dropped off in a car), and make sure you get there the moment the train is approaching, a trip to Midtown is guaranteed to take about 100 minutes.

Far Rockaway riders going to Midtown can take the LIRR, but peak fares of $9.25 one-way is beyond the reach of many people here. Unless Mike Bloomberg can get reelected and force the MTA to allow Far Rock riders to get CityTicket pricing during weekday rush-hours, this is not an option. Right now, Far Rockaway doesn't even qualify for CityTicket on weekends, since the train runs on a branch that goes through Nassau county.

The imperative thing to do is to send all (A) to Far Rockaway and run the (C) to Lefferts. Four or five rush hour peak direction (A) trains can serve the Lefferts and Rockaway Park branches instead.

And you didn't say what the (H)'s other terminal should be.

While I understand your intention of trying to pacify Lefferts riders by making the (C) express along Fulton St and local in Manhattan only, that is still an unfair advantage to them, given that they already have a much shorter journey, and putting 6 million annual riders to the Rockaways and Howard Beach on a local isn't going to go down well at all. Full-time express (A) (late nights aside) to the Rockaways is required simply because of the greater distance Rockaway residents and tourists/surfers have to travel. Adding another 10-12 minutes onto their commute is hardly fair.

Currently the (A) goes from West 4th St to Lefferts or Howard Beach in about 40 minutes. Your proposed changes would make it 30 minutes for Lefferts (all good for Lefferts riders), but 50-52 minutes for Howard Beach. It takes another 20 minutes to get from Howard Beach to Far Rockaway, so that would be 70-72 minutes. Not to mention the pitiful morning rush-hour headways on the (A) means one often has to wait at the station for upwards of 12 minutes, and the wide spacing between stations (e.g nothing between Beach 90th and 67th Sts, and again between Beach 60th and 44th) means it takes around 6-10 minutes to walk to the station (unless you get the Q22 immediately). Added together, that would make a journey to Lower Manhattan from Far Rockaway around 90 minutes. This is a figure that doesn't include delays of any kind, and rush hour trips typically take 10 minutes longer due to congestion on the track and trains being held in the station longer as more people get on and off than usual. Once at West 4th St, it would take another 5-6 minutes to get to 42nd St and 8 minutes to get to 59th. Even if you manage to take the Q22 bus to the station (or get dropped off in a car), and make sure you get there the moment the train is approaching, a trip to Midtown is guaranteed to take about 100 minutes.

Far Rockaway riders going to Midtown can take the LIRR, but peak fares of $9.25 one-way is beyond the reach of many people here. Unless Mike Bloomberg can get reelected and force the MTA to allow Far Rock riders to get CityTicket pricing during weekday rush-hours, this is not an option. Right now, Far Rockaway doesn't even qualify for CityTicket on weekends, since the train runs on a branch that goes through Nassau county.

The imperative thing to do is to send all (A) to Far Rockaway and run the (C) to Lefferts. Four or five rush hour peak direction (A) trains can serve the Lefferts and Rockaway Park branches instead.

And you didn't say what the (H)'s other terminal should be.

i didn't really think of that.... so i guess your right... so i guess:

(A)EXP at all times...Far rockaway/ mott av-207 st

©LCL at all times...Lefferts Blvd-168 st

(E)same

(H)Rockaway park/Beach 116 st-broad channel

i kno, thats y i came up with this idea...

the (N)(Q) can switch terminals, the (Q) operates local to Astoria 24/7, the (R) runs via Queens Blvd Local-Broadway Exp via Bridge (weekends via Broadway Local via Bridge)-4 Av Local, and the (N) can terminate at 57 St/7 Av @ all times via Broadway Exp-4 Av Exp (Late Nights 4 Av Local). (W) remains unchanged.

3 locals and one express?

Besides, I don't think Brighton riders are all that happy with such a thing.

Riders will go bonkers if that were to happen. If it were three expresses and one local, like how the (:(, (D) and (Q6) were before 2001, then that's a different story except the (R) is not as frequent like the (F). Same for the (N), (Q), <Q>, (R) and (W), when the (W) (later the (N)) and the (R) ran local and the (Q), <Q> and the (N) (later the (W)) ran express. Three expresses running in tandem with two locals, or even one local, is not bad, but it all depends on how frequent the locals are. Since the (F) runs frequently, it wasn't a big deal. But since the (R) isn't, another local is required to run with it on the weekdays.

Express service is a huge necessity. Reduce express service and riders will bicker. That's why the SAS is much needed to ease the congestion on the East Side IRT, because despite more and more trains being added to the (4) and the (5) on weekdays, it's not helping the fact that ridership is heavily increasing on that line. Take a few trains way and the MTA will never hear the end of it.

lol not 3 locals.

(N) All Times Except Late Night:

Trains operate between Coney Island-Stillwell Av and Midtown-57 St/7 Av via 4 Av Express, Manhattan Bridge and Broadway Express.

(N) Late Nights:

Trains operate between Coney Island-Stillwell Av and Midtown-57 St/7 Av via 4 AVE LOCAL, Manhattan Bridge and Broadway Express.

(Q) All Times:

Trains operate between Coney Island-Stillwell Av and Astoria-Ditmars Blvd via Brighton Local, LOWER MANHATTAN, Broadway Local and Astoria Local.

(R) Weekdays:

Trains operate between Bay Ridge-95 St and Forest Hills-71 Av via 4 Av Local, Manhattan Bridge, BROADWAY EXPRESS, and Queens Blvd Local.

(R) Weekends:

Trains operate between Bay Ridge-95 St and Forest Hills-71 Av via 4 Av Local, Manhattan Bridge, BROADWAY LOCAL (AFTER CANAL ST), and Queens Blvd Local.

(R) Trains no longer runs via LOWER MANHATTAN. Take the (Q) instead.

(R) Late Nights:

Service Unchanged. Take the (N) for 4 Av Local Service.

(W) Weekdays, Late Nights and Weekends:

Service Unchanged.

The (A) and the (K) will make the (H) redundant. Yeah, what happened to the fantasy forum? I felt like dripping there until I realised it's gone.

I'd like to know as well. I was going to post up my fantasy map I made a few years ago there. Oh well...

Anyways on topic:

(A) As is only to Lefferts only

(H) The A line, but to Far Rockaway only

(C) via Culver to Church Av

(E) via Culver to Coney Island

(:P via 4th Av and then Sea Beach 18/7. Late nights shuttle from CI to 59th-4th Av

(D) via Brighton local 24/7

(F) via 6th Av to WTC-Chambers St

(V) via Fulton to Euclid

(G) Court-Church 24/7.

(J)(L)(M)(Z) no change

(N) via Brighton express 18/5 service

(W) Astoria-Whitehall all times

(Q) via 4th Av and West End 24/7

(R) as is and 24/7

(2) express in the Bronx

(5) local in the Bronx

IRT otherwise as is and no <4> service