Disney Company buys Marvel Comics for $4 Billion

Shortline Bus

LOS ANGELES — The Walt Disney Co. (DIS) said Monday it is acquiring Marvel Entertainment (MAR) for $4 billion in cash and stock, bringing characters like Iron Man and Spider-Man into the family of Mickey Mouse and WALL-E.

Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of 5,000 Marvel characters. Many of them, including favorites such as the Fantastic Four and the X-Men, were co-created by the comic book legend Stan Lee.

Read more: http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/2009-08-31-disney-buys-marvel_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

LOS ANGELES — The Walt Disney Co. (DIS) said Monday it is acquiring Marvel Entertainment (MAR) for $4 billion in cash and stock, bringing characters like Iron Man and Spider-Man into the family of Mickey Mouse and WALL-E.

Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of 5,000 Marvel characters. Many of them, including favorites such as the Fantastic Four and the X-Men, were co-created by the comic book legend Stan Lee.

Read more: http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/2009-08-31-disney-buys-marvel_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO they marvel sold them to the devil

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...Though I understand this is tough times but this is just sad.........the legacy of the 90s X-Men and Spiderman cartoons will now be left in the dust.....and on disney's hands.....UGH...

But on the good side the help marvel to become financially stable,witch mean new projects from the marvel universe.:(

MTA Regional does make a good point. However i am sure at least a majority of the comic book hardcore fans will be very unhappy that a company that owns ABC-TV, ESPN and promotes international known teen stars like Miley, the Jonas Brothers and more now adds the Marvel family to its zillion dollar collection.

Off topic but related. Who now owns Marvel's long time rival DC Comics?

I enjoy comic books when i spy a good issue, i hope this is simply ownership change, and nothing else.

One thing though, now Marvel & DC will be WB vs disney.

At least we know now why the magneto origins film was delayed. Same thing happened when disney bought pixar, cars was delayed a year and a half.

- A

The one thing about Disney I hated was they've been 'editing' some of the episodes they've aired like the Hulk and such on Disney XD.

But technically since they're the only ones that have the 90s shows. This wasn't too big a surprise as they own the rights to broadcast their cartoons. I just wonder what this means for the shows on Toon Nick: Wolverine and Iron Man?

there goes the marvel land at Islands of Adventure.

I read on another forum that this deal might not change things for IOA. Plus it's not like Disney has the places that would fit the Marvel comics theme. They already have their own characters plus the Pixar ones.

Heck, they own the Power rangers franchise and all they have is a meet the characters 'parade' at the Hollywood [formerly MGM] studios. So hopefully we won't have to worry yet.

Of course the coaster and the towers will be as is, but the biggest change would be to the Spiderman ride should the rights expire. Funny how Harry Potter will dominate the lost continent area that was generic, and it's Marvel islands that is in question.

Archived