Question about Sutter Avenue/Rutland Road (3 train)

Tinamarie

Ok I'm sorry if I'm being a little off-topic, but I wanted some information about the area of Sutter Avenue/Rutland Road. The (3) train goes there.

The reason I ask about this is because I'm doing a project in college about residential segregation we have to explore where our partner lives and such. Ok so she gave me her address and I looked it up and she lives near this station. I never been to this neighborhood in my life and I read about it on Wikipedia and it says it's not that great so I'm pretty terrified.

Does anyone know first hand how this neighborhood really is? Thank you.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh, it's fine. Just like any other neighborhood, be alert, watch your back, and go about your business. It's residential, but Rutland Road and East 98th St itself has a few shops by the train station. Lots and lots of housing in the area, so you will see lots of people hanging out on the street, no doubt about that. Just so you know, I travel through here basically every day I'm home to get home, so I know what I'm talking about. My neighborhood is basically the same. You can go about your business and be fine there. But, if you're still not sure about the neighborhood (which is perfectly fine), bring someone with you. The exit to the station is the 3rd car from the back when going to New Lots by the way.

Ah ok thanks! Yeah I'm going to bring my boyfriend! I also have to go over her house so I'm probably going to go with her of course when I do that.

I was so scared because on Wikipedia it says it's in Brownsville in Brooklyn so I look into the Brownsville article and I quote, "Brownsville is one of the worst if not the worst neighborhood crime wise in Brooklyn. It also has the highest Murder Rate along with neighboring East New York. The 73rd Precinct and 75th Precinct of the NYPD in Brooklyn both have the worst crime problem in all of New York City." So when I read that, I was terrified. I really hope she doesn't live in that bad part of Brooklyn. I don't want to risk my life for a school project.

Ah ok thanks! Yeah I'm going to bring my boyfriend! I also have to go over her house so I'm probably going to go with her of course when I do that.

I was so scared because on Wikipedia it says it's in Brownsville in Brooklyn so I look into the Brownsville article and I quote, "Brownsville is one of the worst if not the worst neighborhood crime wise in Brooklyn. It also has the highest Murder Rate along with neighboring East New York. The 73rd Precinct and 75th Precinct of the NYPD in Brooklyn both have the worst crime problem in all of New York City." So when I read that, I was terrified. I really hope she doesn't live in that bad part of Brooklyn. I don't want to risk my life for a school project.

Yes, that's all true. But, like I said, you go about your business, and you'll be fine. I've been doing it by myself for a long time.

:confused: Thank God I didn't live in NYC in the 70s. I admit I'm still a bit naive when it comes to neighborhoods and I lived in a good neighborhood all my life so I really don't know much, but I really hope she doesn't live anywhere near the really bad part of Brownsville.

Maybe this is why your teacher came up with this project, so that his students would stop believe misconceptions about certain neighborhoods being so bad that you'll either get A. stabbed B. Shot C. Mugged or D. all of the above. Crime happens in every neighborhood.

My professor made this project for us to explore a neighborhood totally different from ours. In fact, we had to be paired up with someone who is not our race or not close to it in some way. We have to explore the neighborhood and decide "Is class or race/ethnicity the most important factor in residential segregation?" Then we have to compare our neighborhoods. I can already tell our neighborhoods are totally different from one another.

Speaking as someone who lives in the heart of Brownsville, my lone piece of advice is just to stay aware and dont linger in one place for too long. You'll be fine, I can vouch for 1991's description. It's not the "best" place, but do what you have to do and dont linger.

Even with those murder figures, that's most likely for people who live there, or hang out there all the time. Just to make one visit like that (especially assuming it's during the day), it's probably no less likely that something will happen there, than a car jumping the curb in midtown and hitting people (which has been happening a lot, relatively, in recent years), or all the other accidents/incidents that hurt or kill people which happen in the "good" sections.

Even with those murder figures, that's most likely for people who live there, or hang out there all the time. Just to make one visit like that (especially assuming it's during the day), it's probably no less likely that something will happen there, than a car jumping the curb in midtown and hitting people (which has been happening a lot, relatively, in recent years), or all the other accidents/incidents that hurt or kill people which happen in the "good" sections.

Look at all the crime that has happened on Wall St. :cool:

Ok I'm sorry if I'm being a little off-topic, but I wanted some information about the area of Sutter Avenue/Rutland Road. The (3) train goes there.

The reason I ask about this is because I'm doing a project in college about residential segregation we have to explore where our partner lives and such. Ok so she gave me her address and I looked it up and she lives near this station. I never been to this neighborhood in my life and I read about it on Wikipedia and it says it's not that great so I'm pretty terrified.

Does anyone know first hand how this neighborhood really is? Thank you.

Yeah I know how the area is firsthand....

You say you're from Queens... well it's somewhat similar to South Jamaica... somewhat... it's not as shady as certain parts of far rockaway are...

It's nothing to be terrified about, you're not gonna be dodging bullets as soon as you step foot there... it aint the wild wild west.... as long as you don't mouth off to anyone hanging out on the street corner (especially), you'll be fine... don't stare at people that look suspicious; but then again, don't walk with your head down as soon as you see them from a distance (either of which can make you a target).... simple street smarts is what I'm getting at here.....

demographics of the area... predominantly african-american blacks, and west indians as well... there's some ricans but they're few & far between.....

if dudes try to hit on you (talk to you), do not be rude about it... and don't give them dirty looks if your plan is to ignore them (doing this will get you cursed out, up until you leave the immediate area)....

(don't know which particular bldg. you're heading to, but around the general area, you will find people hanging out ("loitering"), just as they would in any other neighborhood).....

any other specific questions, feel free to ask em here, or via PM.....

Remember, no matter where you go, they'll be some sort of sketchiness, some areas more, some less. Heck, I live in Bed-Stuy, and if I didn't have my skateboard, you wouldn't find me on those streets anytime before 5:30 in the morning or after 8:30 in the evening, unless I'm accompanied with someone (seriously! Lol). Remember to use common sense and travel with someone if you have to. That will make you less susceptible to danger. Happy traveling! ;)

I have to go twice at least. I hope I don't have to go there at all though. LOL

Yeah I know how the area is firsthand....

You say you're from Queens... well it's somewhat similar to South Jamaica... somewhat... it's not as shady as certain parts of far rockaway are...

It's nothing to be terrified about, you're not gonna be dodging bullets as soon as you step foot there... it aint the wild wild west.... as long as you don't mouth off to anyone hanging out on the street corner (especially), you'll be fine... don't stare at people that look suspicious; but then again, don't walk with your head down as soon as you see them from a distance (either of which can make you a target).... simple street smarts is what I'm getting at here.....

demographics of the area... predominantly african-american blacks, and west indians as well... there's some ricans but they're few & far between.....

if dudes try to hit on you (talk to you), do not be rude about it... and don't give them dirty looks if your plan is to ignore them (doing this will get you cursed out, up until you leave the immediate area)....

(don't know which particular bldg. you're heading to, but around the general area, you will find people hanging out ("loitering"), just as they would in any other neighborhood).....

any other specific questions, feel free to ask em here, or via PM.....

Ok that's good to know. I'm used to getting hit on and I always ignore it so I don't think that would be a huge problem. But when I go there, I'm going to try my best NOT to go alone or at night.

I haven't even been to South Jamaica...UGH! LOL

As for the building, it's in Union Street.

Thanks for the info, btw!

Seroiusly, I don't live there, but I hear from my co-workers who live out there, be careful out there. Robbery is what alot are after, cause they don't have, and if u look like u have and ain't from there, you might be a target.......

Jokingly, dress up in your best thug outta-wear, or trailer trash looking outfit. Don't look afraid, don't walk afraid, and try to blend in. If you are Caucasian, look worse than trailer trash when you go. Look so poor, that those in the neighborhood will think you are gonna rob them, cause you have less than them, even though they ain't got squat. If you are negroid or Hispanic, well just dress like those from the hood do. If you are Asian (of the orient type), well the brothas will be holla'ing at you, especially if you are a cutie.......

Seroiusly, I don't live there, but I hear from my co-workers who live out there, be careful out there. Robbery is what alot are after, cause they don't have, and if u look like u have and ain't from there, you might be a target....

Lovely. :confused: I'm Sicilian, but funny thing is that I get confused for Indian and Spanish alot. Go figure. My boyfriend is Bengali. Yeah we're an odd couple. I emailed my partner and I even told her that if you're uncomfortable to go to my neighborhood or my house, which is pretty safe then we don't have to go. I really don't want to tell her I don't want to go. If she is comfortable with the whole idea, I'm bringing my boyfriend and if he can't come along, I'm taking a cab home to and from her house. I'm not risking my life or my money. I don't really care how much money I have to pay for one or if I'm being naive. Safety first, is what I always say. :tup:

Lovely. :confused: I'm Sicilian, but funny thing is that I get confused for Indian and Spanish alot. Go figure. My boyfriend is Bengali. Yeah we're an odd couple. I emailed my partner and I even told her that if you're uncomfortable to go to my neighborhood or my house, which is pretty safe then we don't have to go. I really don't want to tell her I don't want to go. If she is comfortable with the whole idea, I'm bringing my boyfriend and if he can't come along, I'm taking a cab home to and from her house. I'm not risking my life or my money. I don't really care how much money I have to pay for one or if I'm being naive. Safety first, is what I always say. :tup:

That's good, safety always comes in numbers. ;)

Lovely. :confused: I'm Sicilian, but funny thing is that I get confused for Indian and Spanish alot. Go figure.

You must have that olive to golden brown skin color then........

Just be careful, and I'll send Julio, Harry, and SubwayGuy, along with your boyfriend, as your bodyguards.......

As for me, I would go, but I have others who want to take my money already........

Just be careful, and I'll send Julio, Harry, and SubwayGuy, along with your boyfriend, as your bodyguards.......

As for me, I would go, but I have others who want to take my money already........

Indeed I do have that skin tone. Got it from my dad's side. ;)

I really hope she would rather not let me go to her house and for her to go to my house. It's a journey from her house to my house as well, I wouldn't blame her if she didn't want to go to my neighborhood as well.

I'd volunteer as well, but I'm leaving New York in two days...

Archived