R160A's in bad condition... ALREADY!

dmouse

Brake Squealing at higher speeds occurs when dynamics are not generating the requested stop rate. Dynamics are designed to be able to but dead motors etc. can cause them not to in which case the friction brakes will kick in on a particular truck. If you notice you'll often hear squealing on one particular truck not the whole train, that tells you this is what's happening. Sometimes it's more than one truck so it can "sound like" the whole train is squealing but it's not it's just 1-3 trucks

A T/O stopping normally may still cause the brakes to make that loud noise at the very end, as I said in my last post, just means time to inspect the shoe, it might need replacement. A T/O can avoid that in some cases by making a "Metro North stop" - a very light stop at the slowest speeds at the very end - but that costs the T/O running time so in many cases they will continue to stop normally, particularly since the only "side effect" is extra noise, it's nothing that's dangerous. It's not their fault and they're not stopping too fast, they are operating normally and it's just time for some maintenance.

In other words:

-Nothing wrong with the car's design

-Nothing wrong with the T/O

-Nothing unsafe happening

-Just time for some TLC in the shop when the train finishes it's run.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It always amaze me when people have nothing better to do than ***** and moan about every little thing.The R-160s are great.They are faster,smoother, and much better overall than the R32s.While they may not be the cleanest,they run and they run well.

Some of you people here either dont remember,or werent born yet,but during the Late 1970s The R-46 trains were truly awful with their cracked undercarriages.Delays for The morning rush hour were so bad,The Platforms at Union Tpke and 71st Ave,Roosevelt Ave and Queens Plaza were packed in a way like I have not seen since.In fact,the late 1970s and 1980s was horrible with delays and breakdowns.How soon people forget.As for you younger guys,you have NO IDEA of What BAD is when it comes to the trains.

It always amaze me when people have nothing better to do than ***** and moan about every little thing.The R-160s are great.They are faster,smoother, and much better overall than the R32s.While they may not be the cleanest,they run and they run well.

Some of you people here either dont remember,or werent born yet,but during the Late 1970s The R-46 trains were truly awful with their cracked undercarriages.Delays for The morning rush hour were so bad,The Platforms at Union Tpke and 71st Ave,Roosevelt Ave and Queens Plaza were packed in a way like I have not seen since.In fact,the late 1970s and 1980s was horrible with delays and breakdowns.How soon people forget.As for you younger guys,you have NO IDEA of What BAD is when it comes to the trains.

Exactly! Invisible thanks right there.

I still can't believe R160s are on the (E) train.

And whatever happened to the R110s? I saw a picture of them on here but they never get mentioned.

They don't run anymore, the R110A is sitting in Concouse yard, as for the 110Bs, 6 of them are in 207th street, 1 in a school parking lot in CI and two inside the fire training place @ CI yard.

Can I just state that I know damn well none of the people spewing over the R32's in this thread were alive when they first debuted. I'm sure some of them had issues that you may not have heard of. As it was stated every damn line in the system runs through at the very least 1 bad neighborhood (if you need me to i'll list them all). JAM always had/has issues maintaining cars because they have/had around 1000 (idk the exact number) and not enough space. Hell they store trains on the Express tracks and stations so clearly if something is wrong with an R160 it might not be taken to the yard to get it fixed. Y'all need to just chill the hell out and give these cars some time.

Can I just state that I know damn well none of the people spewing over the R32's in this thread were alive when they first debuted. I'm sure some of them had issues that you may not have heard of. As it was stated every damn line in the system runs through at the very least 1 bad neighborhood (if you need me to i'll list them all). JAM always had/has issues maintaining cars because they have/had around 1000 (idk the exact number) and not enough space. Hell they store trains on the Express tracks and stations so clearly if something is wrong with an R160 it might not be taken to the yard to get it fixed. Y'all need to just chill the hell out and give these cars some time.

Thank You Very Much........agreed!

You are absolutely right. The R46s had cracked carriages after the MTA boasted of how wonderful they were. Once the trucks were replaced in the late 70s and the early 80s the R46s ran exclusively on the E and F and it was very rare when you'd see something different on those lines. And they were not particularly reliable, but neither was anything else in Jamaica and other yards. The E and F would take one hour to get to 5th Av and 53rd St. from the 179th St. terminal on a GOOD day. Crowding and delays were much worse than today's crowding and delays. The R32s and older were horrible too, no a/c and were much more likely to breakdown than they are even today. And the A division lines, the IRT, talk of relics and unpleasant rides. Redbirds? These were grafitti covered rattle boxes that you hoped to God would not derail (track fires and derailments were common in that period as well).

Issues like a few frozen FINDS are almost cosmetic. I've said it over and over and over. Frozen and broken FINDS are NO BIG DEAL. A few bolts and screws lose don't mean much more than those particular R160s, just a few in Jamaica, were rushed into service. You know what, the NJ bilevels have issues. The PATH PA5s have issues that have been taken them out of service a various times since they've been tested and in service. The M7s had some issues also. The R142/R143/R160 have been reliable, especially for newbuilds.

I don't hear anyone saying the R160s are the best thing in the world. Thank the MTA for keeping the old 60s era trains in good running condition but also thank the MTA for upgrading and updating the equipment. The NYC area, the LIRR, NJ Transit, and soon PATH now or soon will have a relatively young fleet of rolling stock.

Thank you :tup:

Hallelujah! Someone who gets it!

and now to re-reil this topic....

I believe there are 2 reasons for them FINDs not working:

1) Computer messups (overheatting, etc.)

2) Communication errors (broken cables from sharp turns)

I personally believe it's #2. These trains take sharp curves.

Think about it......

Try twisting a cable and it's connector and see what happens.....and you don't have to be so arrogant about it either.

I really doubt that sharp curves are the reason. Think about it, it's not like the curves sprung up over night. If the curves are creating problems then that is a very bad design.

I really doubt that sharp curves are the reason. Think about it, it's not like the curves sprung up over night. If the curves are creating problems then that is a very bad design.

I never said that's the only cause. I said "communications errors" That's a number of reasons.

I never said that's the only cause. I said "communications errors" That's a number of reasons.

Yes, but you do cite sharp curves as a main point. Regardless, for a multi-million dollar train that relies on computers to have communication errors is not good. I am glad that the FIND is a very unimportant part of the car and does not effect how it runs.

Regardless, for a multi-million dollar train that relies on computers to have communication errors is not good. I am glad that the FIND is a very unimportant part of the car and does not effect how it runs.

Yeah....CBTC is next...that'll start failing. ha

from waht I saw yes, BUT not in the last few pages.

RR- I don't think it will fail to much, but luckly that to is not a critical system that if it fails could hurt people. If CBTC fails, the T/O can take over. I am not sure about ATO, but I think it can work the same.

from waht I saw yes, BUT not in the last few pages.

RR- I don't think it will fail to much, but luckly that to is not a critical system that if it fails could hurt people. If CBTC fails, the T/O can take over. I am not sure about ATO, but I think it can work the same.

Now the propulsion controller (the box under the train), that can't fail

Archived