R160A's in bad condition... ALREADY!

dmouse

they dont look bad but u have an obvious prejudice against the 160s and you are not being objective to be honest if it were up to you the (E) would still be 100 percent 32s

Jamaica = failing Trains, Coney Island Yard Maintains Jamaica's R46's from time to time so CI deal's with a whole Lot of subway cars but yet I don't see a problem with them, Jamaica's crew are lazy as hell, How in the hell do you have A brand New train with Falling parts, Can you explain that, If you don't understand that I will post the photos that I took inside of it.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I've gotten used to ridingvthese cars on the (J) to school now.

For the most part they're "descent".

The R160As are new cars but sometimes can be in bad condition.

The trains are FILTHY. There is gum on the floor garbage under the seats. Dirty aluminum and DUSTY windows.

Graffiti! Huge WTF. "Attempted" Scrachitti on doors and windows. If one sees it, faded nonsense graffiti writing on plastic. Sharpie on the seats.(faded) attempted scratchitti on FIND. On the outside of cars "Attempted Graffiti"

cars are Stainless Steel, so that's hard to do.

Traction Motors are screeching more than supposed to. They'll start up normally and then you'll here screech-accelerate.

There's more but I'm gonna stop here. Why are these cars falling into a-not-so-great-shape?

It makes me wanna "Throw Hammers!":mad:

What's the most dirtiest R160 set you've ridden, and what line?

Conveniently, the (J) happens to pass through ghetto after ghetto...what do you expect? The cosmetics of the car (as in graffiti, etc.) doesn't have to do with the actual life expectancy of the car. I agree with the traction motors though, they are louder than they should be.

It's no kidding that the R160s are already starting to reap what they sew. They're not all that great, and you can see that they're already starting to rust (people call ti steel dust, I call it RUST), and it'll affect them 15 years down the road. I remember riding the R160s with some other railfans on the (E). A consist of cars (9803-9812) entered their first day of service, and we already witnessed the carelessness Jamaica gives their "beloved" trains. There were grafitti markings on the windows and seats made with a Sharpie marker, someone urinated between the cars, food was scattered all over one car, and loose bolts and unlocked door panels were seen as well. The MTA is making a mistake giving the R160s great hype when they're not even being properly taken are of. I saw the same consist last week and it was dirty as hell! If the R160s aren't being taken care of properly, then they aren't needed. It's sad. :P

Steel dust =/= rust. This is not hard to understand...the (MTA) isn't giving them hype either...

I don't know what you mean when you say if the R160s aren't being taken care of properly, then they aren't needed. Jamaica's R42s are in much worse condition and aren't being taken care of properly. Yes, I know, they're older, they're going to get reefed soon, but that doesn't mean they aren't needed.

Conveniently, the (J) happens to pass through ghetto after ghetto...what do you expect? The cosmetics of the car (as in graffiti, etc.) doesn't have to do with the actual life expectancy of the car. I agree with the traction motors though, they are louder than they should be.

Steel dust =/= rust. This is not hard to understand...the (MTA) isn't giving them hype either...

I don't know what you mean when you say if the R160s aren't being taken care of properly, then they aren't needed. Jamaica's R42s are in much worse condition and aren't being taken care of properly. Yes, I know, they're older, they're going to get reefed soon, but that doesn't mean they aren't needed.

I was on an R160 (F) train that was dirty as Hell and It had Graffiti all over the damn windows but The (J) line is Vandal City.

Jamaica = failing Trains, Coney Island Yard Maintains Jamaica's R46's from time to time so CI deal's with a whole Lot of subway cars but yet I don't see a problem with them, Jamaica's crew are lazy as hell, How in the hell do you have A brand New train with Falling parts, Can you explain that, If you don't understand that I will post the photos that I took inside of it.

the 160s are not falling apart and u wouldnt like any car that replaced your beloved 32s sure you can catch a picture of a car in bad shape after the rush hour jamaica does a damn good job with what they have and i mostly rode the jamaica 160s which are a night and day improvement over the 32s dont see (E) riders complaining anymore

the 160s are not falling apart and u wouldnt like any car that replaced your beloved 32s sure you can catch a picture of a car in bad shape after the rush hour jamaica does a damn good job with what they have and i mostly rode the jamaica 160s which are a night and day improvement over the 32s dont see (E) riders complaining anymore

Agreed. Anyway, the R143s are doing fine on the (L) and the R160 shares a lot with them. I wish the vandal prone segment of riders on all lines would respect public property and not mistreat the rolling stock as they do. Right now, riding the NYC subways is a pleasure. The A division line trains are NTTs and R62s and the B division is mostly R44 to R160, only the (C) and (V) have all or mostly 60s era trains. This makes for a reasonably smooth and quiet ride on most of the subway equipment in service.

Who gives a crap about (E) riders, The R32's that they have Left are still proven to be the Most Reliable out the whole Fleet at jamaica and its sad how 26 R32's are More Reliable than over 300 R160's, And don't dissagree because I heard this from a person I know that work down there, R32's were Jamaica's Work Horses and they broke down less than the R46's, You will see in the future, In the winter time Those R160's screw up, So good Luck riding them in the winter because there will be no R32's to back Jamaica up, All you got is The R46's and they are reliable as well, The Crappy R42's can't help, They are falling apart and rotting, The R32's from 207th st are in good shape, and The 1 set of R32's that Coney Island. So Good Luck.

This amateur car equipment "analysis" by a bunch of wannabe know it alls has got to stop.

It's amazing to see the little BS that gets posted and how it is blown up into some huge problem that it is not and will never be. Ah well Typical railfan drama, par for the course.

thats my 10 cents...really.

This amateur car equipment "analysis" by a bunch of wannabe know it alls has got to stop.

It's amazing to see the little BS that gets posted and how it is blown up into some huge problem that it is not and will never be. Ah well Typical railfan drama, par for the course.

thats my 10 cents...really.

Its not railfan Drama, Some people just don't know Jamaica's History of poor Maintanice Record.

Im not just a Railfan, Im a person that studys the system/ Car Equipment and any other thing that has something to do with NYCTA.

Its not railfan Drama, Some people just don't know Jamaica's History of poor Maintanice Record.

Im not just a Railfan, Im a person that studys the system/ Car Equipment and any other thing that has something to do with NYCTA.

There's a BIG difference between observing the visible physical characteristics of the equipment without any real knowledge of the mechanical workings through a bias towards "60s-era cars" as someone put it, and someone who actually has STUDIED the equipment and is aware that a RFW does not equal a good performing car. This is more drama than a soap opera.

Who gives a crap about (E) riders, The R32's that they have Left are still proven to be the Most Reliable out the whole Fleet at jamaica and its sad how 26 R32's are More Reliable than over 300 R160's, And don't dissagree because I heard this from a person I know that work down there, R32's were Jamaica's Work Horses and they broke down less than the R46's, You will see in the future, In the winter time Those R160's screw up, So good Luck riding them in the winter because there will be no R32's to back Jamaica up, All you got is The R46's and they are reliable as well, The Crappy R42's can't help, They are falling apart and rotting, The R32's from 207th st are in good shape, and The 1 set of R32's that Coney Island. So Good Luck.

get over it the 32s are in the water where they belong they will be extinct real soon so enjoy they lasted 45 years thats enough its the 160s time and soon there will be over 1700 of them and the (E) passengers are very happy no complaints about the 160s the 32s a workhorse in jamaica what a joke the 46s have been the workhorse of the jamaica yard i know u a fan of 32s so ride and enjoy now cause they are going the disgusting tin cans are goiing going gone

There's a BIG difference between observing the visible physical characteristics of the equipment without any real knowledge of the mechanical workings through a bias towards "60s-era cars" as someone put it, and someone who actually has STUDIED the equipment and is aware that a RFW does not equal a good performing car. This is more drama than a soap opera.

Couldn't have said it better myself and good to hear that from someone who actually has the R32 listed as a "favorite" in his profile :P Yep what can I say seems the new tech vs old tech debate will just keep dragging on until a few years after the old stuff is gone...

Why must one be better than the other, can't these people just enjoy BOTH? I guarantee you pull all the R160's out of service forever tomorrow and the SMEE lovers will rejoice then 2 weeks later be talking about their last R160 ride and how they miss being able to ride those cars...

Same goes for anything retiring...some people can't let go...oh well...it's happening anyway..I got all my so called "last rides" in and I'm good with whatever...hey it was fun while it lasted but times change...cry me a river build me a bridge and get over it...

I not one those Railfans that say I like the R32's because of a RFW, I like those cars because of the history they made, If it wasn't for those R32's You won't have any R38-R160, The R32's started an revolution for the NYCTA when it come to Subway cars, Yeah their 45 years old but they are still in good shape, Look at the R42's and R44's they look like crap, Im not saying this because I just Like the R32's, Its Commin sense, And yes I know every single Part of an R32, I studied that Subway car more than the other's so don't get on my case, Im not no little foamer that wet his pants when he sees a RFW, I been doing this stuff since I was 4 years Old, Half of the railfans that are into the New stuff, That's understandable because Its their generation of subway cars, The R160's are not a Big deal, They are copycats of the R143's with upgrades, The Only NTT I like are the R142A's, They are proven to be the Best NTT's out there. So Please don't compare me to any other railfan that just loves the Railfan window, Because If that was the case I would like All Subway cars with RFW's, I take that as disrespect, Some People just don't realize, this is a good Hobby that is turning into a Freak show, that's My 2 cents on what Is going on today.

Couldn't have said it better myself and good to hear that from someone who actually has the R32 listed as a "favorite" in his profile :P Yep what can I say seems the new tech vs old tech debate will just keep dragging on until a few years after the old stuff is gone...

Why must one be better than the other, can't these people just enjoy BOTH? I guarantee you pull all the R160's out of service forever tomorrow and the SMEE lovers will rejoice then 2 weeks later be talking about their last R160 ride and how they miss being able to ride those cars...

Same goes for anything retiring...some people can't let go...oh well...it's happening anyway..I got all my so called "last rides" in and I'm good with whatever...hey it was fun while it lasted but times change...cry me a river build me a bridge and get over it...

everybody has preferences. That's why people will never be able to enjoy both. They will always lean toward one fleet of cars over the other. It's the maturity aspect thats attached along with it that preference that makes the difference. I've seen this point made in how many threads since I've been here and yet there's still bickering going on about R32 vs R160. Makes it kind of pointless to keep chiming in on these discussions to say it over and over again. I say just let a mod cut the topic short and be done with it.

everybody has preferences. That's why people will never be able to enjoy both. They will always lean toward one fleet of cars over the other. It's the maturity aspect thats attached along with it that preference that makes the difference. I've seen this point made in how many threads since I've been here and yet there's still bickering going on about R32 vs R160. Makes it kind of pointless to keep chiming in on these discussions to say it over and over again. I say just let a mod cut the topic short and be done with it.

well as much as I'm a political and social pessimist I still like to think people have the ability to learn things especially common sense...I've seen some of the posters here and remember when they first started and seen some of them have grown up, know quality is more important than quantity in posts, and their attitudes have adjusted to show perspective and that they've picked up some knowledge along the way...so whenever I see people who's young or who's foaming uncontrollably and is above the age for that, I just try to point that out cuz maybe it strikes a chord and they get mature, I dunno, can't hurt to try right? If it works at the end of the day the forum becomes a better place one person at a time, if not, we're right where we already were..maturity comes when people have preferences but don't need to "express" them all the time or spread exaggerations, half truths, and outright lies to 'further their (inevitably losing) cause'...

I ride the (E)/(F) everyday, They look like S$%t, And their brakes screech to much, What do you expect its Jamaica Yard.

Brake screeching is primarily due the operators slamming them and causing the motors to stop without dynamic. Good operators like those on the L brake the R160As extremely smoothly.

Brake screeching is primarily due the operators slamming them and causing the motors to stop without dynamic. Good operators like those on the L brake the R160As extremely smoothly.

Why do you keep furthering this outright lie about T/O's on that line? I've already explained to you in another thread how NTT brakes work and what you are saying is completely illogical and false. I have no idea who told you but it is straight up wrong information...

well as much as I'm a political and social pessimist I still like to think people have the ability to learn things especially common sense...I've seen some of the posters here and remember when they first started and seen some of them have grown up, know quality is more important than quantity in posts, and their attitudes have adjusted to show perspective and that they've picked up some knowledge along the way...so whenever I see people who's young or who's foaming uncontrollably and is above the age for that, I just try to point that out cuz maybe it strikes a chord and they get mature, I dunno, can't hurt to try right? If it works at the end of the day the forum becomes a better place one person at a time, if not, we're right where we already were..maturity comes when people have preferences but don't need to "express" them all the time or spread exaggerations, half truths, and outright lies to 'further their (inevitably losing) cause'...

you're becoming like my voice of reason it seems. you're absolutely right.

Why do you keep furthering this outright lie about T/O's on that line? I've already explained to you in another thread how NTT brakes work and what you are saying is completely illogical and false. I have no idea who told you but it is straight up wrong information...

What He is saying Is completely Right, Some T/O's Like to Brake real Hard, So don't get on his case because He know what he's Talking about.

I not one those Railfans that say I like the R32's because of a RFW, I like those cars because of the history they made, If it wasn't for those R32's You won't have any R38-R160, The R32's started an revolution for the NYCTA when it come to Subway cars, Yeah their 45 years old but they are still in good shape, Look at the R42's and R44's they look like crap, Im not saying this because I just Like the R32's, Its Commin sense, And yes I know every single Part of an R32, I studied that Subway car more than the other's so don't get on my case, Im not no little foamer that wet his pants when he sees a RFW, I been doing this stuff since I was 4 years Old, Half of the railfans that are into the New stuff, That's understandable because Its their generation of subway cars, The R160's are not a Big deal, They are copycats of the R143's with upgrades, The Only NTT I like are the R142A's, They are proven to be the Best NTT's out there. So Please don't compare me to any other railfan that just loves the Railfan window, Because If that was the case I would like All Subway cars with RFW's, I take that as disrespect, Some People just don't realize, this is a good Hobby that is turning into a Freak show, that's My 2 cents on what Is going on today.

They weren't revolutionary. They were/are using the same SMEE technology nearly identical to that of the R-36s. In fact, they're sometimes described as a Redbird in B-Div dimensions and stainless steel. Certainly not up there with (for their times, respectively) the BMT Experimental fleet, R-10s 11s, 17s, and R-44/46s. I'm confident that you DON'T know every single part of the R-32, if any. The first step in learning about the equipment is admitting how little you REALLY know.

They weren't revolutionary. They were/are using the same SMEE technology nearly identical to that of the R-36s. In fact, they're sometimes described as a Redbird in B-Div dimensions and stainless steel. Certainly not up there with (for their times, respectively) the BMT Experimental fleet, R-10s 11s, 17s, and R-44/46s. I'm confident that you DON'T know every single part of the R-32, if any. The first step in learning about the equipment is admitting how little you REALLY know.

I was Talkin Body Wise, I know they used the same Braking systems as the Other SMEE's duh. And No They are not discribed as Redbirds, Their nickname is Brightliners Get it straight.

I was Talkin Body Wise, I know they used the same Braking systems as the Other SMEE's duh. And No They are not discribed as Redbirds, Their nickname is Brightliners Get it straight.

Oooh I see, body-wise you know every single part. Then certainly someone of your pedigree is more qualified to give an accurate description of the R-32 than myself.

As much as I'd like to debate how superior the R32s are over R160s, this is not an R32 thread. I'm not going to look down upon a person because they like the cars, but they may not be aware of how much hell the older fleet has gone through while serving their time in this city. I'd like to see where these trains stand in 15 years and compare my times on the older fleet and the new fleet. I could care less about the brakes and acceleration, but I know one thing I will be judging: seating!

Archived