R160A's in bad condition... ALREADY!

dmouse

Well I've gotten used to ridingvthese cars on the (J) to school now.

For the most part they're "descent".

The R160As are new cars but sometimes can be in bad condition.

The trains are FILTHY. There is gum on the floor garbage under the seats. Dirty aluminum and DUSTY windows.

Graffiti! Huge WTF. "Attempted" Scrachitti on doors and windows. If one sees it, faded nonsense graffiti writing on plastic. Sharpie on the seats.(faded) attempted scratchitti on FIND. On the outside of cars "Attempted Graffiti"

cars are Stainless Steel, so that's hard to do.

Traction Motors are screeching more than supposed to. They'll start up normally and then you'll here screech-accelerate.

There's more but I'm gonna stop here. Why are these cars falling into a-not-so-great-shape?

It makes me wanna "Throw Hammers!":mad:

What's the most dirtiest R160 set you've ridden, and what line?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's no kidding that the R160s are already starting to reap what they sew. They're not all that great, and you can see that they're already starting to rust (people call ti steel dust, I call it RUST), and it'll affect them 15 years down the road. I remember riding the R160s with some other railfans on the (E). A consist of cars (9803-9812) entered their first day of service, and we already witnessed the carelessness Jamaica gives their "beloved" trains. There were grafitti markings on the windows and seats made with a Sharpie marker, someone urinated between the cars, food was scattered all over one car, and loose bolts and unlocked door panels were seen as well. The MTA is making a mistake giving the R160s great hype when they're not even being properly taken are of. I saw the same consist last week and it was dirty as hell! If the R160s aren't being taken care of properly, then they aren't needed. It's sad. :P

i disagree for the most part i have been riding the 160s on the (E) and (F) and they are in good shape havent seen any graffiti or scratches on them and with the garbage u going to see garbage on every train specially during rush hours when they are turning around quick and with the lack of car cleaners for budget reasons what do you expect

I've never heard screeching motors on the J, M, Z, or L's R160As before. I have heard them a lot more on the E and F as those motormen brake as if they were in a hurry. In fact, I actually see that the J, M, and L's R160As operators operate their trains the smoothest. Other than that, the R160As have a bad reputation for malfunction FINDs and the "mess" should solely be blamed on the passengers.

If the R160's conditions are starting to get worse, then this is a waist of almost $1 billion+ right there. If the cars continue to be treated poorly they probably won't even make it 40 years old. It also makes me wonder how the R179s will be treated when and if they are delivered.

I hope cams are added before they come in production..

If the R160's conditions are starting to get worse, then this is a waist of almost $1 billion+ right there. If the cars continue to be treated poorly they probably won't even make it 40 years old. It also makes me wonder how the R179s will be treated when and if they are delivered.

Let's not bring up the R179s until they actually come. Don't worry, all trains are faulty to begin with as there are bugs when newly adapting them into the old system. If I remember correctly, the R68s had major problems with their propulsion systems in their first few years. Westinghouse had to cooperate with Adtranz to develop a new ECAM propulsion system later in the order. Look at them now, they are simply exceptional! I personally favor the R160As as my favorite bench seaters and I'm sure that they'll turn out fine.

Well that is true and the R179 thing I said when and if they are delivered, there's a 50/50 chance, but back on topic. I hope there a cameras installed on the R160s. It would make criminals think twice about committing a crime or anyone leaving trash behind on the cars.

They'll just destroy the cameras first! It's common sense.

i disagree for the most part i have been riding the 160s on the (E) and (F) and they are in good shape havent seen any graffiti or scratches on them and with the garbage u going to see garbage on every train specially during rush hours when they are turning around quick and with the lack of car cleaners for budget reasons what do you expect

I ride the (E)/(F) everyday, They look like S$%t, And their brakes screech to much, What do you expect its Jamaica Yard.

Even so, the car maintainers need to be on top of making sure that the trains are kept clean. Forget about big brother watching us to prevent graffiti; it won't do much to keep the cars from being clean of grime and trash.

Well I've gotten used to ridingvthese cars on the (J) to school now.

For the most part they're "descent".

The R160As are new cars but sometimes can be in bad condition.

The trains are FILTHY. There is gum on the floor garbage under the seats. Dirty aluminum and DUSTY windows.

Graffiti! Huge WTF. "Attempted" Scrachitti on doors and windows. If one sees it, faded nonsense graffiti writing on plastic. Sharpie on the seats.(faded) attempted scratchitti on FIND. On the outside of cars "Attempted Graffiti"

cars are Stainless Steel, so that's hard to do.

Traction Motors are screeching more than supposed to. They'll start up normally and then you'll here screech-accelerate.

There's more but I'm gonna stop here. Why are these cars falling into a-not-so-great-shape?

It makes me wanna "Throw Hammers!":mad:

What's the most dirtiest R160 set you've ridden, and what line?

because the R160's are cheap flimsy toys that cannot handle the New York City Subway. plain and simple.

I ride the (E)/(F) everyday, They look like S$%t, And their brakes screech to much, What do you expect its Jamaica Yard.

they dont look bad but u have an obvious prejudice against the 160s and you are not being objective to be honest if it were up to you the (E) would still be 100 percent 32s

Archived