Roaches a pesty problem on city buses

Harry

It’s a cockroach’s paradise: a warm nook with fresh food and freedom to roam.

But to the disgust of many commuters, this roach motel is the city bus.

Roaches have taken to NYC Transit buses, and the pest problem has hit high season, according to bus operators, mechanics and union leaders. Students traveling on buses tend to leave food, and roaches are happy to gorge on scraps left there for hours.

“The buses are pretty dirty,” said one rider, William Carswell, 55, of Washington Heights, who added that he’s seen roaches on the M100 buses.

Infrequent extermination and a shortage of bus cleaners have made the fight against creepy crawlies more difficult, union leaders said.

Read more: http://www.amny.com/urbanite-1.812039/roaches-a-pesty-problem-on-city-buses-1.1467523

post-1-13328858103_thumb.jpg

post-1-13328858103_thumb.jpg

:eek:

How in the world does a roach get on a bus??? The only way it could get on is if people bring them on the bus to begin with, considering the fact that homeless people rarely venture the buses, but on trains instead, where I've seen roaches.

Roaches in NYC? what a shocker! So if a roach crawls on a B/O's arm what is the proper protocol? The MTA wants 2 hands on the wheel all of the time.... It only becomes a problem on the buses when you start seeing mice or even a rat.:eek:

Yeah, there might not be homeless on the buses but you still have riders who feel like the bus is their living room and can do whatever they want. Why would you eat or drink on a bus anyway? one big pothole and bam your munchies fall to the floor.

Watch how everyone will blame the MTA like they always do instead on themselves and those that think the trains and buses are garbage cans and leave their garbage on the floors.

Unfortunately, some people never learned to clean up after themselves. The way they scatter litter all over the train or bus is basically how their house or their brain is: messy! B)

Roaches in NYC? what a shocker! So if a roach crawls on a B/O's arm what is the proper protocol? The MTA wants 2 hands on the wheel all of the time.... It only becomes a problem on the buses when you start seeing mice or even a rat.:eek:

Yeah, there might not be homeless on the buses but you still have riders who feel like the bus is their living room and can do whatever they want. Why would you eat or drink on a bus anyway? one big pothole and bam your munchies fall to the floor.

If you're going to work and you don't have time to cook something before you leave, then you'll often find yourself buying something at the local convenience store and buy either a cup of coffee and a muffin. However, I see people eating a schmorgus borg on the train, which I find really problematic and weird.

Watch how everyone will blame the MTA like they always do instead on themselves and those that think the trains and buses are garbage cans and leave their garbage on the floors.

Exactly. The people are the pigs who do filthy stuff like throw their garbage on the floor. We need cops to ride the buses so that they can fine riders who do that so that we don't have to worry about riding with roaches on the bus.

Oh and I have seen a roach on the bus before. I killed it too.

I agree with Y2Julio and Princelex; more must needs be done to stimulate cleanliness on buses and subways. If fines must be levied to discourage littering, so be it.

In support of Y2Julio's point, some time ago (I believe it was last year), I saw someone at Fordham Rd station who was leaning on a trash can actually walk to the platform edge and litter on the center track! I just shook my head in disbelief.

I've actually seen 2 on the bus last night comming home from work, on the Q67 & the B26. Its to the point where some buses actually have those little roach baits behind the driver seat and betind some of the passenger seats. My opinion is this; they leave trash on the bus and when they see a roach, they quick to blame someone else for it.

:eek:

How in the world does a roach get on a bus??? The only way it could get on is if people bring them on the bus to begin with, considering the fact that homeless people rarely venture the buses, but on trains instead, where I've seen roaches.

they could of climbed on to someone or what ever they had with em and it came with em..

But this is so weird...

Next thing you will see is mice hanging out in the corners of the bus..

I heard there are waterbugs (the large mice-sized roaches) on the artics in the accordion part, I don't know how true that is though.

There were roaches on a brand new CS NG on the Q44 this morning.

Holy f***, I hope that's not true. I can't stand those things, they freak me out and will actually have me screaming like a little girl.

Holy f***, I hope that's not true. I can't stand those things, they freak me out and will actually have me screaming like a little girl.

Youre not the only one who hates those heathenistic creatures. If I see one of 'em, its getting a nice hard stomp from my shoe.

If the customers don't take their food containers with them, then what do they expect to come aboard the bus for a ride. It is the same situation on the subway with the rats in the stations and on the platforms. However the MTA makes the problem even bigger by eliminating cleaner positions.

P.S. Not only there are roaches on public transportation, there are bedbugs too!:eek:

If the customers don't take their food containers with them, then what do they expect to come aboard the bus for a ride. It is the same situation on the subway with the rats in the stations and on the platforms. However the MTA makes the problem even bigger by eliminating cleaner positions.

P.S. Not only there are roaches on public transportation, there are bedbugs too!:eek:

Bedbugs? Seriously?

Oh and the rats like crawling into trains too

Me too. I hate trying to attenpt to kill them, cause I hate that sound (squish), and that white blood mess they leave behind..........

You guys should see how many roaches are actually on these buses when you first turn on the lights after sitting in the depot for a few minutes. The whole floor looks like its moving.

I have seem them, and actually have taken buses OOS a few times at KB due to the amount of those things that were crawling around. I had to call control about it, them they say when you get to the end, bring the bus in. I had them on KB's Orions, and West Farms Orion VII CNG's........

Me too. I hate trying to attenpt to kill them, cause I hate that sound (squish), and that white blood mess they leave behind..........

I have seem them, and actually have taken buses OOS a few times at KB due to the amount of those things that were crawling around. I had to call control about it, them they say when you get to the end, bring the bus in. I had them on KB's Orions, and West Farms Orion VII CNG's........

It's zee roacheez, zee roacheez :P

Youre not the only one who hates those heathenistic creatures. If I see one of 'em, its getting a nice hard stomp from my shoe.

I hate them too, my building is infested with them its like living in the jungle, I remember one flew and landed on my face this Summer :cry:, it was the worst. I couldn't imagine seeing these on a bus though with no where to run lol. I don't like to kill them because its a nasty crunch and the white blood shoots out.

The subway is the worst though, I remember seeing mice climb out of the grates at Parsons & Archer, I also saw a rat the size of our dog running down the street from there, I assumed it came out of the subway.

I hate them too, my building is infested with them its like living in the jungle, I remember one flew and landed on my face this Summer :cry:, it was the worst. I couldn't imagine seeing these on a bus though with no where to run lol. I don't like to kill them because its a nasty crunch and the white blood shoots out.

The subway is the worst though, I remember seeing mice climb out of the grates at Parsons & Archer, I also saw a rat the size of our dog running down the street from there, I assumed it came out of the subway.

Oh god! Flying roaches!?

Yup, that crunch is nasty, but it flew in your face??? If I saw that, I'll definitely be screaming like a girl! :P

subway is the worst though, I remember seeing mice climb out of the grates at Parsons & Archer, I also saw a rat the size of our dog running down the street from there, I assumed it came out of the subway.

Yup, it's really nasty. The TA really has a rodent problem to combat.

When it comes to rats, the subway is where it's at! (/sarcasm)

I remember when they were replacing the concrete on the N/B local track at 145 LL; the skeletonized track revealed a horde of rats! Also, in my many years of riding, I've seen rats scurry along the platform at 145...

...run up the stairs at 7th Ave - 53 St...

...and dig through trash at 59 St - Columbus Circle IND, amongst other things.

Oh, and flying roaches suck; I had one of those in my apartment once and it was NOT fun.

Archived