Simmering contract feud with MTA and transit workers could lead to commute slowdown

Harry

So this coming Wednesday, the buses and TRAINS will be slower? or delayed?

Slower yes but only so by following everything per the rule book. If we TA employees did everything by the books all the time service would be even slower than it already is. And we can't strike Taylor law prevents it. That's the last thing we need to do now with our contract tied up in the courts. The only thing we can do right now is to remain diplomatic and have faith that everything will come out in our favor.

The MTA workers who already posted said it best. Being and ex-B/O, now a T/O I can concur with we won't be slowing your commute to work down, we will just follow the rules. The buses that you think are on time, are sometimes very early during the rush hours. I use to be guilty of running a few minutes hot, closing doors, and taking off as the last person is still on the steps, or paying, driving with people forward of the white line, taking lights about to turn red, slamming on brakes, etc..... Guess what? Get in an accident they will know. Those engines do take recording of your actions. They have computers on them. Then comes the TA lawyers. You suppose to do things Zerega way, which is the TA lawyers way. What is every new B/O hired told???? If you do things our way, you will be late. In RTO we can follow all the miscellaneous signs. It says 15mph, we do 15mph. It says 20mph, we do 20mph. If a train is in front is a area where the stations are close, conductors just hold the doors open, until we can fully get into the next station. Do all brake tests that we suppose to do, do smoother stops by coming into the stations with authority, but stopping with respect.........

We do run this system, not management. Without us, you don't have train service. Be mindful, most of them (not near immediate supervisors such as Superintendents, or Line Managers who most have came through the ranks), haven't came through the ranks. I'm talking about those at 130 Livingston, 2 B'way, and definitely 347 Madison.........

Besides more money will get put back into jobs, if we stop flying like they want us too........

The commuters need to show more respect and appreciation for the train operators, conductors, and bus operators. I feel like they're not getting enough credit these days. If anything, delays are never the train operator's or bus operators fault. I'm sure they don't like being delayed either.

The commuters need to show more respect and appreciation for the train operators, conductors, and bus operators. I feel like they're not getting enough credit these days. If anything, delays are never the train operator's or bus operators fault. I'm sure they don't like being delayed either.

It costs $89 a month to ride the subway. I think riders show respect by paying this exorbitant amount

It costs $89 a month to ride the subway. I think riders show respect by paying this exorbitant amount

And we thank you for showing that respect. But $89 a months is not exorbitant. Other cities charge more than $2.25 a ride. Lots of other cities charge for how far your traveling. You should be so lucky the MTA doesn't implement the fare structure for the subway like they do for LIRR and MNRR. I understand your now paying more for you fare but it's still a deal when you look at it in the end. You can travel from 205th street in the bronx to coney island in brooklyn for one flat price of $2.25 and can make unlimited transfers between train lines as well. Yet another thing other subway systems charge you for.

I'm glad you think $89 a month, is enough for me to evacuate you from tunnels, under river tubes, and elevated structures, when and if the time comes. I'm glad you think that same $89 a month, is enough for me to take you from point A to point B safely, on 400tons of train. I'm glad you think $89 is enough, for a B/O to take you where you need to go, in traffic, with people showing them no respect, cause they have that "you hit me, I'll sue attitude", so they jackass their way around large buses with passengers on it. They have to transport you without making you fall flat on your face, when some idiot cab decides to cut in front of them, without signaling, and making sure it is safe to do so........

Your $89 worth of respect for me and my fellow rank and file co-workers, is greatly appreciated. If you are ever on my train, and we need to evacuate, I'll give you $89 worth of rescuing.........

JFK hey pal get up early ;)

(S)ubway Guy you have to understand something about the public and (MTA)employees

(W)e don't like the public anymore then they like us it's important you know this when it comes to making it right We are never right we are always wrong with (MTA) and the public so only if you understand this then you will understand us(K)<R>

the public respects garbagemen more than they respect transit workers........

disgraceful...........

disgraceful...........

I don't think it's disgraceful that people respect Garbage men more than us TA workers. It would be great if the public just respected all of it's public employees. When we do our your normal way of life can continue. And this is the reason why we can;t strike because it effects people's normal way of life.

disgraceful...........

Not only does the public respect sanitation workers ALOT more than TA workers but the polititians do too. That is why sanitation has a far superior 20 and out pension and ALWAYS gets good contracts that aren't attacked by everyone!

take a cab, ride a bike, or learn to fly if you think that way...

The general public is anything but respectful when it comes to any kind of customer service whatsoever. They don't pay the fare out of respect. They pay it simply because it's the cheapest mode of transportation to get around they can afford. I've seen plenty of times where a rider got out of line with a B/O, a T/O or a C/R. I saw a guy cursing out a station clerk the other day over a metrocard he knew didn't have any fare on it before he swiped it...respect? please... ;)

89 bucks a month is nothin compared to what people pay in rent, energy, gas even food. I don't know all the details about this contract. I probably won't ever really know. But I'm supporting their cause. I don't have a problem with leaving a little earlier to get where I need to go. In most cases its that important to get there that I do it anyway. A little respect and kindness to the operator has gotten the train door opened for me when I really needed to catch the train i was about to miss. It got the bus operator to let me off at that street corner because I wasn't paying attention and missed my stop and it also got me a free fare once in a while when I was scrambling through my wallet to see if I had the fare to begin with.

I support you guys as well regardless and will plan accordingly but I think in the long run you guys should look at getting the public on your side or partnering up with other unions that are already liked (cops, firefighters) to turn the opinion of at least some on your side

Obviously its too short to have that happen now but sometimes people need to remeinded what they take for granted doesn't have to be there at all...heck isn't in France or somewhere else in Europe they close the trains for two days every year as a holiday "annual strike" so people remember to be grateful to workers?

And this is the reason why we can;t strike because it effects people's normal way of life.

I would think that right there is more incentive to make sure you transit workers get what you deserve. Remember that big storm that basically shut down most of the subway system. I'm sure you do. It was the same day we had a tornado that took a roof off in sunset park. With the subway system basically incapacitated the morning rush was absolute chaos.

I sat stuck in a tunnel on the (F) that morning for at least an hour. But whoever it was that was working behind the scenes managed to pull enough strings that I got to work that morning anyway. No transit = chaos. You guys are very much needed. If you're working without relent to convenience the lives of others and your company is giving the short end of the stick you should very much be out there with your picket signs and chant slogans demanding more if thats what it takes.

I would think that right there is more incentive to make sure you transit workers get what you deserve. Remember that big storm that basically shut down most of the subway system. I'm sure you do. It was the same day we had a tornado that took a roof off in sunset park. With the subway system basically incapacitated the morning rush was absolute chaos.

I sat stuck in a tunnel on the (F) that morning for at least an hour. But whoever it was that was working behind the scenes managed to pull enough strings that I got to work that morning anyway. No transit = chaos. You guys are very much needed. If you're working without relent to convenience the lives of others and your company is giving the short end of the stick you should very much be out there with your picket signs and chant slogans demanding more if thats what it takes.

Problem is the public does not see it that way. My father is not TWU but he is a union man and I'm a member of that union (inactive since I don't do that work anymore) and I *DID* my picket duty. The public sees an inflatable rat and a bunch of signs and a "mob" and they think "those union bums are at it again", it is NOT like the old days when the people walking by WERE union themselves and SUPPORTED the workers. Nowadays in this city everyone is an "associate" at some "firm" and doesn't give a rat's ass about the unions even though they are lacking the same basic protections at their job because they don't care all they see is imaginary dollar signs made out of clouds in the sky. I see the corporates and they just point and go "oh how ridiculous that looks" when they see an inflatable rat. Sadly unless you do it in an artsy (rebellious "fight the power" types) or a working class neighborhood, picketing doesn't do much to change public opinion these days

Problem is the public does not see it that way. My father is not TWU but he is a union man and I'm a member of that union (inactive since I don't do that work anymore) and I *DID* my picket duty. The public sees an inflatable rat and a bunch of signs and a "mob" and they think "those union bums are at it again", it is NOT like the old days when the people walking by WERE union themselves and SUPPORTED the workers. Nowadays in this city everyone is an "associate" at some "firm" and doesn't give a rat's ass about the unions even though they are lacking the same basic protections at their job because they don't care all they see is imaginary dollar signs made out of clouds in the sky. I see the corporates and they just point and go "oh how ridiculous that looks" when they see an inflatable rat. Sadly unless you do it in an artsy (rebellious "fight the power" types) or a working class neighborhood, picketing doesn't do much to change public opinion these days

The selfishness that's predominant in the general public and those in charge is exactly why im supporting this move. It's exactly why I've said what I did say. If people continue to think they can step on others while getting their way its only going to get worst and not just here in transit.

The selfishness that's predominant in the general public and those in charge is exactly why im supporting this move. It's exactly why I've said what I did say. If people continue to think they can step on others while getting their way its only going to get worst and not just here in transit.

Agreed...and it already has been doing that. The culture today is selfish and greedy and as long as that continues we are going to self destruct.

Because healthcare for your fellow person is so bad right? The economic excuses are just used by those who have as a reason not to help out those who don't.

Even the MTA hire ups know this. What you said, is what we were told when hired. They said, if firefighters, police officers, sanitation, parks dept, etc, go on strike, most people wouldn't even notice. Transit goes on strike, everyone notices. When transit strikes, it affects businesses, and peoples lives...............

We are basically the only organization that can cripple NYC...............

After a while the excuses for not doing the right thing lose and common sense will prevail, but you gotta stand up for change. I wouldn't mind a leisurely ride on a train in support of the folks that keep the country moving. Hell, i was actually looking forward to an amtrak strike, people take their services & facilities completely for granted. If there is a TWU strike, i'll support it, just let me get to my girlfriend's in bayonne for thanksgiving dinner. :cool:

My girlfriend as most of you know, works at EWR, and all of those folks support the pilots, mechanics, as well as the TWU. Do what you gotta do to get fair employment terms and a fair wage, we're behind you 100%.

- A

I respect all of you (MTA) workers and I hope and pray you get all that you are supposed to get from the (MTA). Do what you gotta do to get what you deserve. If God forbid, you must follow the last resort, strike, then do what you gotta do. (MTA) workers should be given the utmost respect cause you guys take us where we gotta go & NYC is NOTHING without you guys. God bless each and everyone of the (MTA) workers.

I respect all of you (MTA) workers and I hope and pray you get all that you are supposed to get from the (MTA). Do what you gotta do to get what you deserve. If God forbid, you must follow the last resort, strike, then do what you gotta do. (MTA) workers should be given the utmost respect cause you guys take us where we gotta go & NYC is NOTHING without you guys. God bless each and everyone of the (MTA) workers.

Don't think a strike will happen, just because of what happened after the last one. I don't think too many will stand behind United Invincible slate with that anymore. Also the stuff that has been posted around depots, and crew rooms, of the bonuses Roger, Watt and other top Union officials gave themselves.......

I hope TBOU wins, get in and do better. If they don't, at least RTO and DOB (driver only) needs to go on a different path, and break away from TWU all together. Teamsters or BLE, would be an option I would go for, to have someone representing us, who actually move the people............

Teamsters ... to have someone ... who actually move the people

Where you looking to go...under Giants Stadium? ;)

On a serious note though, i've read about the BLE president throwing some LIRR employees under the bus...are they really that strong of a union?

On a serious note though, i've read about the BLE president throwing some LIRR employees under the bus...are they really that strong of a union?

If they suck that bad, then forget them..........

As for going under Giants Stadium, well that can be an incentive to make someone pay someone.............

BLE is a very good union as is the teamsters that represent the C/R's on the commuter lines. TWU is a horrible pathetic excuse for a union. Local 100 pours the most money into the international and get nothing but b*tch slapped in exchange!

Archived