Simmering contract feud with MTA and transit workers could lead to commute slowdown

Harry

Straphangers beware: your commute could take longer next Wednesday because of the simmering contract dispute between transit workers and the MTA.

A text message urging bus drivers to "slow it down" during a "day of outrage" circulated among drivers in at least four depots on Thursday.

"Do everything by the book," the text message making the rounds urged. "Slow it down. Pass it on."

Some subway workers told the Daily News they hadn't received the call to action - but said it wouldn't take much for underground workers to go on the offensive.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/10/09/2009-10-09_simmering_feud_at_mta.html#ixzz0TRL5rYY0

post-1-133288581071_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288581071_thumb.jpg

I understand that they're going through a serious problem with the (MTA) but it doesn't seem fair to bring everyone down with them, if I was to get on a bus going 5mph on Wednesday I'd spaz out for paying $2.25 then get off and walk, I could always ask for a transfer though but I don't want to be inconvenienced as I have something very important to go to on Wednesday.

Jamaica & Casey Stengel Depots better behave lol.

Good, I will the TWU well in their fight against the (MTA). I thought a contract made through binding arbitration was just that, binding. If there is a slow down, leave yaerly for work and get over it. I think every one would be pissed if their company tried to screw them out of money too.

I understand that they're going through a serious problem with the (MTA) but it doesn't seem fair to bring everyone down with them, if I was to get on a bus going 5mph on Wednesday I'd spaz out for paying $2.25 then get off and walk, I could always ask for a transfer though but I don't want to be inconvenienced as I have something very important to go to on Wednesday.

Jamaica & Casey Stengel Depots better behave lol.

I agree, I don't get how driving slow and messing up people's commutes is supposed to get them to support your cause.

I agree, I don't get how driving slow and messing up people's commutes is supposed to get them to support your cause.

It's NOT supposed to get anyone to support a cause. It is to show management the level of anger and the horrible moral of the blue collar employees that move over 7 million people a day.

The average person is pro management when it comes to the MTA but strangely NOT when it comes to ALL of the other large unions like NYPD, NYFD, Corrections, Sanitation, Teachers, ect. getting BETTER contracts than any of the last 4 that the TWU has gotten.

It's NOT supposed to get anyone to support a cause. It is to show management the level of anger and the horrible moral of the blue collar employees that move over 7 million people a day.

The average person is pro management when it comes to the MTA but strangely NOT when it comes to ALL of the other large unions like NYPD, NYFD, Corrections, Sanitation, Teachers, ect. getting BETTER contracts than any of the last 4 that the TWU has gotten.

While that is true I don't know if I agree with this as a way of supporting the cause. Seems like it may cause riders who are on the fence to turn against you guys because let's face it, the public doesn't take the time to really learn these issues and the way MTA works. You might be better off with "someone" "anonymously" blanketing the seats with the REAL story. Hey if people can bible thump in the subway...right?

The average Manhattan yuppie is anti TWU and they don't even really know why. They are anti MTA, anti TWU, and pro cop/firefighter. However they have NO idea of the job, or that most transit workers are actually decent people (at least the ones I've met) and NOT "thugs", and they love to point out employee laziness when they side with management (even though they almost all agree that the MTA is "poorly run"). I say no need to give them any ammo, just educate them and keep doing your jobs and maybe they will see things your way and appreciate that you are still getting them to work on time.

I don't know...that's just me. I think that all the people b***ing about the TWU legally earned "binding" arbitration raise, don't actually know the full story of what's going on and more might side if it was presented to them in terms they could understand (like if they got a raise at their job and it was withheld). Hell look how the corporate pricks cried when some of their illegal AIG bonuses were taken away, and that wasn't even their rightly earned salary like yours's is...

Ok I don't know much about this...but are road op apart of this...if there not can't they get (drivers) get in trouble cuz of this by the road ops? Or by a super.......and a slow day well mean just sitting at a bus stop for a while and move or missing 2 to 3 green lights.....if so I better get to work a little early .......

Thank you sir

It's important to make A stand

That's right yo , Ill go slow;)

JFK hey pal get up early :)

(S)ubway Guy you have to understand something about the public and (MTA)employees

(W)e don't like the public anymore then they like us it's important you know this when it comes to making it right We are never right we are always wrong with (MTA) and the public so only if you understand this then you will understand us(K)<R>

What most people don't want to admit is, (MTA) hourly employees make the system work efficiently, and when mass transit flows, the city hustles.. We do our thing everyday as transit professionals, operating under all conditions and need to respond as such, from sick passengers, car accidents, fires, lost kids, mechanical disruptions.. You name it, we handle it. If there's a fire at your workplace, what's your responsibility? evacuate. Ours? Ensure our passengers can get to safety without further endangering themselves, other passengers, and us. Furthermore, any action we take will be re-evaluated in depth by transit lawyers, god forbid someone is hurt, all in a way to lessen (MTA) liability & put it solely on the employee's back.. all this for, what? Being told 'We didn't budget any raises for labor, but we've entered into 1.2 billion in contracts with vendors & private contractors?'

More food for thought, If (MTA) came out & said ALL (MTA) employees are getting 1-2% raises from the newest hire, to the chairman, & presidents of all divisions, TWU probably wouldn't be so happy but feel like everyone is getting the same deal. The reality is, (MTA) management WILL get substantial raises, annuity contributions, and for some, housing allowances in the $4k month range..

Ok I don't know much about this...but are road op apart of this...if there not can't they get (drivers) get in trouble cuz of this by the road ops? Or by a super.......and a slow day well mean just sitting at a bus stop for a while and move or missing 2 to 3 green lights.....if so I better get to work a little early .......

No that would be illegal and against the rules, but checking the mirrors 5 times before pulling out, and waiting for every last person who wants the bus to come to the bus stop that is legal

plus driver must wait for every one to pay up and get behind the white line ( and not start driving as soon as the doors are closed like we do now )

driving like we were thought in zerega (15-20 mph )

and i believe we were thought a pre trip inspection that is at least 4-6 minutes long ( now pre trip is under 5 seconds, get int and go, done :) )

I have a day off on wen. I am sure the over time will be sweet for every one who will go down the line

9 hour tour can easily become 12

What most people don't want to admit is, (MTA) hourly employees make the system work efficiently, and when mass transit flows, the city hustles.. We do our thing everyday as transit professionals, operating under all conditions and need to respond as such, from sick passengers, car accidents, fires, lost kids, mechanical disruptions.. You name it, we handle it. If there's a fire at your workplace, what's your responsibility? evacuate. Ours? Ensure our passengers can get to safety without further endangering themselves, other passengers, and us. Furthermore, any action we take will be re-evaluated in depth by transit lawyers, god forbid someone is hurt, all in a way to lessen (MTA) liability & put it solely on the employee's back.. all this for, what? Being told 'We didn't budget any raises for labor, but we've entered into 1.2 billion in contracts with vendors & private contractors?'

More food for thought, If (MTA) came out & said ALL (MTA) employees are getting 1-2% raises from the newest hire, to the chairman, & presidents of all divisions, TWU probably wouldn't be so happy but feel like everyone is getting the same deal. The reality is, (MTA) management WILL get substantial raises, annuity contributions, and for some, housing allowances in the $4k month range..

Exactly We (NYCT)Employee our jobs just as they were taught to , but no one seems to understand that. I have people get mad at me because they want to purchase a single ride and they have no idea that you must get that at the machines. And then they automatically assume I'am an A hole. Or if I don't let some one ride for free that does not have the fare to ride the train. I don't put my job on the line for nobody. I have a family to support and know ones going to support them If I don't. Definitely not Mayor Bloomberg,the (MTA) or the person getting mad cuz I won;t give them a free ride on the subway. Working for the (NYCT) is more stressful than most people think it is. We deal with thousands of people a day from all walks of life and with all different attitudes and on top of that we have to deal with management as well. Don't get me wrong I love my job and I'am very grateful to have it. I never seen a company like the (MTA) that hates their employees so much. What don;t they get? if you keep you employees happy then your system will run smooth not if your out trying to hang every one of them if they make the slightest mistake or deviate from one your 1000 rules in rule book. And now they want to break binding arbitration as well?? If people can't see that we are mere victims at the mercy of the (MTA) I don't know what will.

day I never seen a company like the (MTA) that hates their employees so much.

This is a question that I have asked myself, co-workers, family, friends, and management many times, but nobody understands why the MTA hates its BLUE COLLAR employees so much.

T*R*U*T*H :tup:

This is a question that I have asked myself, co-workers, family, friends, and management many times, but nobody understands why the MTA hates its BLUE COLLAR employees so much.

Wont get any better with this guy from London running things now.

Wont get any better with this guy from London running things now.

Actually he is from Queens, born and raised in the Rockaways, anyway this meatball head will be gone within 18 months and he will be playing that song from the Steve Miller Band...."Singing go on take the money and run...

Actually he is from Queens, born and raised in the Rockaways, anyway this meatball head will be gone within 18 months and he will be playing that song from the Steve Miller Band...."Singing go on take the money and run...

If he gets this smart card system to go through he will be prasied for a long time. I believe he is the person who helped get rid of the tokens.

The TWU is actually right this time. However, I don't think it's fair that the riders have to suffer because of the greed of the MTA and Bloomberg. I won't be thrilled if I'm late because the bus driver wants to play mind games.

I hear you man but this contract issue is getting out of hand. We have no other way to fight back. We can't strike and we all can't call out from work. So doing everything buy the books is our only legal weapon to fight the (MTA) and the (NYCT). I guess I'll make sure I do a proper relief wherever I work on Wednesday. That takes 15 minutes by the way instead of the 2-5 I usually do now. I doubt this will do anything but they can't ignore this situation anymore. Before I worked with the (NYCT) I didn't understand the TWU workers pain, but in the 4 years I've been down here I seen the corrupt machine the (MTA) is, and it stinks big time. I mean this time we played by the rules and we still get shafted by the (MTA) , "Binding Arbitration" what part of that word don't the (MTA) and all the haters of TA workers don't understand? Binding:executed with proper legal authority; "a binding contract" , Arbitration:1. (law) the hearing and determination of a dispute by an impartial referee agreed to by both parties (often used to settle disputes between labor 2. the act of deciding as an arbiter; giving authoritative judgment; "they submitted their disagreement to arbitration". Google seems to understand the meaning of these two words in conjunction together. Seems where damned if we do damned if we don't.

The TWU is actually right this time. However, I don't think it's fair that the riders have to suffer because of the greed of the MTA and Bloomberg. I won't be thrilled if I'm late because the bus driver wants to play mind games.

(B)us Operators do not play mind games ,If you need to get to your destination then leave early and the (B)us Operator is ©aptain of the (S)hip

(W)e said we didn't wanna strike so would you rather walk ?I'(M) guessing not so <R>espect your (:)/:cool:P Thank you (K)<R>

Archived