Rate your line

LRG

The title is self-explanatory: give your statement of how much you like or dislike the lines that pass borough your area of residence, based on the fleet used, how the stations are kept, and other factors. You can grade your line an A, B, C, D, or F. If you live near more than one different line (e.g. the Flushing Line and the Astoria Line and you frequent either two), you can grade all of them. Here's my grade for the (A) and (C) I live near the Utica and Ralph Avenue stations:

(A): C+. I like the line but I barely take it because I have to deal with the R44s on the line. But that's just from the perspective of a railfan. As a regular passenger I take the (A) if it gets me from point A to B and back fast enough. Sometimes I'm lucky to catch an R32!

(C): B. I never have to venture far away just to capture an R32, most of the time, I take the (C) than the (A), even when I'm not in my railfan persona, just as a regular passenger. Having the mentality of a kid still, looking out the window and watching the train curve through the miles of track is simply...awesome.

(A) = B+ It feels like I'm going nowhere because of the smooth rides R44s give, but sometimes, waiting can be a pain.

(:P = B Well, that is the only logical grade..

(C) = A I'm not grading this based on the RFW. It is because the (C) has some nice service, which I never had to wait more than 8 mins for the train to come.

(D) = B- Sometimes, the trains take long to come. Sometimes, there is piss on the floor of the train. Most of the time, the cars are dirty.

(E) = A I can tell you, JAM has well maintained cars. Wait time is okay, although I don't like the R160s.

(F) = ? Reason not found: During the rush hour, service is frequent and excellent, but... think about the regular hours...

(G) = C- 4 cars long and very crowded.. You tell me.

(J)/(Z) = C The trains are really dirty.. We got people not caring and littering their junk all over the place.. Although train service is good, cleanliness of the cars isn't.

(L) = B Although I do like the R143, the cars are dirty and wait times are not reasonable.

(M) = B+ Everything seems fine, but aren't the PAs a bit muffled?

(N) = B Just too much overcrowding during the rush.

(Q) = ? Reason undefined: Well, I'm not really sure what grade to give it.

(R) = D Why? Because of long wait times. Going home from school, the train usually takes 15 minutes to come, causing overcrowding of the platforms. It is also very slow in Brooklyn. I don't even know why they had to add so many timers...

(S) = ? Reason undefined: I'm not rating all the shuttles.

(V) = C- Last time I took it, I almost waited 25 minutes just for the stupid train to come. They should have more reasonable wait times AND MAKE SURE TRAINS ARE ON TIME.

(W) = A Everything seems fine.

Not really much into the IRT, so no ratings from me on that corner.

For the trains I take the most:

(L) - A- It always comes fast even at nighttime.

(M) - B- It takes 10 mins to each train to come and I think it should go from Metro to Fulton Street at all times even the weekends.

(5) - C I waited 20 mins the other day for this train, and sometimes I have to wait for two (4) trains to come before this one. Then when it goes to President Street almost everytime, the train stops. There is also a lot of train traffic as well.

I haven't taken the subway in a long time, the last subway line I took was the (C) and I was only like one stop from Penn Station to the Port Authority Bus Terminal on our way to Washington DC in July '08.

It probably has changed a lot but I'd give it a D (as of July '08).

I haven't taken the (E) in like 3 years (LIRR is better, faster, cleaner, & closer), its the closest subway line to me ((J) & (Z) too).

I'd give the (E) an F+/D but its probably a B now with the R160s.

I take the (F) every day to downtown Brooklyn. Since I have classes starting at 11, I am usually on te train by 10:30 and it takes 15-20 minutes to get there. I would give the (F) line and (A), it gets me where I need to go on time.

(3): B. Living by a terminal (New Lots) allows me to rate this line based almost solely on its schedule, since it hasn't changed in the last few years, and I've memorized it. It's almost always on time (that means the 6:56, 7:01 and 7:04 AM trains usually leave at those times) leaving to Manhattan. But PM rush service has taken a decline recently. Headways were reduced a bit, and more trains have been battery running according to my family. However, they always say that it is the best way through the Brooklyn IRT.

(4): B+. Even though the (3) is a better way of traveling solely in Brooklyn in the IRT, the (4) takes the cake going to Manhattan on the Lex, simply because there are always so many of them leaving Utica. I haven't felt the service reduction during the middays; there always seems to be a train waiting to go. And, when the Eastern Pkwy EXP is not clogged (usually only on weekends), this train flies down the express. It's a good line with great headways, and only messes up for me when the (5) goes to Utica, which I think it does TOO much.

They're both efficient lines when working, but also headaches when the railroad blows up.

Not gonna use Rating but rather give an overview instead.. Since rating is a bit hard, depends..

Bronx's (2)(5)<5> White Plains Road Line:

(2)- Gets packed always during rush hours from West Farms to Jackson, especially at 174th St, Simpson St and Prospect Avenue, which I hate a bit. When (5) not running its very packed. Late Nights isnt as bad.

(5)<5>- More frequent then the (2) during PM rush WPR Exp. During weekends I prefer to take this if Im going to Manhattan since Express Starts at E125th St and the (2) at 96th with Local via Malcolm X Blvd/Leonx ave Local, plus when the (2) runs local in Manhattan due to a G/O, I still take the (5) unless its somewhere above 96th or before 42nd St, depends..

Both (2)(5), at East 180th St, I hate it when the (5) enters first from Express Track to Local track and the (2) gets stalled between E180th/East Tremont for the (5) to go first, even AM Rush the (5) goes first at Jackson Ave and the (2) which crowded has to wait for at least 1-2 (5) to pass.

Keep em coming guys!

When I was younger, I lived near Church Avenue and Winthrop Street on the (2) and the <5> (that's what it was called until they dropped it for (5) in 2004). The redbirds jump started my life into railfanning, and I was ecstatic when I saw R130s on the (2) (even occasionally on the (5)) and R62As on the (5). I'm glad now that the (5) now runs into Brooklyn all day on weekdays and I would hope to move back to my old neighborhood, but I'm looking into the North Side of Williamsburg so I won't be so far from the city and not too far from family; I'll be pretty much in between.

Theoretically, I can take almost any line to get home, but I usually take, in varying frequency and length, any line except the (J)(Z)(L)(7)(6)(W)(N) and sometimes (M) trains. I used to take these routes frequently before I moved out of my childhood home of Middle Village, though. So here goes:

(1) C/C-: More crowded than you think, long wait times, somewhat dirty, very boring. The R-62As used there are, surprisingly, far less interesting than the R-62s on the (3). I don't love the 1

(2) C: Is the West side version of the (6) in terms of crowding. The R-142s are in good shape, but I've never cared for them.

(3) B-: Super fast as it flies down 7th Avenue, very bouncy, and its R-62s are somewhat intriguing 9maybe it's the propulsion sound?). The 3 has always been very reliable for me.

(4) D+: During rush hour, the train is crowded from Fulton Street until somewhere between Burnside Av. and Bedford Park. A PITA if you don't have a seat, and are traveling from Nevins Street to Bedford Park Blvd. Gets delayed.

(5) C-: A bit less crowded than the 4, but runs infrequently compared to the 4 and (6). Also, has been real slow in the Bronx lately.

(6) D-/E+: This line is two steps away from either becoming an Epic Fail or a major urban catastrophe. The most crowded of the IRT lines, sometimes untidy, always chaotic, sometimes delayed.

(7) C: Good sides- beautiful view, fast and fun ride, relatively clean, uses singles, and has a RFW. Bad sides- crowded, delayed in the winter, no good on the weekend, and not always co-ordinated.

(A) B: Fast, somewhat reliable, scenic in Queens. However, wait times are a problem, and the R-44s on it look like relative (J)U(N)(K). Is most enjoyable when runs R-32s.

(:P C-: Not as fast as certain other lines, ridiculous wait times, and the R-68As running on it are dirty and not as fun as the R-40s where. Messy service south of Prospect Park. Best aspect is the occasional r-32 set running on it.

(C) C: Sometimes frequent, sometimes infrequent. Runs in atunnel the entire route, is local, and doesn't always run on weekends. however, it is an enjoyable line to a certain extent. Uses interesting cars, and is somewhat reliable.

(D) C+: Reliable, express, and has a nice section in South Brooklyn. Bad sides are dirty cars, some dirty stations, occasional extensive wait times, and a lack of variety in terms of car fleet.

(E) D: Horribly crowded, frequently delayed, and a pain in Queens. r-160s are somewhat of an improvement, but Jamaica Yard needs to MAINTAIN them.

(F) C-: sometimes good, sometimes bad. Is sometimes dependable, but a bit slow. Car fleet in an odd mix (R-46 and R-160? Come on:p). Is HELL when tied up.

(G) E-: When was the last time this line went to Queens? Seriously. What normal subway line uses only 4 cars? Waiting for that train is like waiting for bin-Laden to come out of hiding. The (G)= Epic FAIL :tdown::tdown::tdown:

(J)/(Z) D+: The cars may be new, but the cars and stations are downright DIRTY. Many stations, as well as the elevated structure itself, need re-hab. And before they started making recent progress, riding the (J) or (Z) from Chambers to Myrtle on a set of beat-up R-42s could have been described as such- Descent Into the Maelstrom.

(L) C-:Outrageously crowded, not always on time, weekend delays. Its R-143s are OK, though.

(M) C-/D+: The C- applies to today, for the occasional long wait times, slow service, and decrepit overall route, with Chambers Street being the centerpiece. The D+ is for when I used to take it regularly up to 2007, when the R-42s would sometimes break down, the switches at Myrtle Avenue would screw up, and the times when I waited 20 minutes in the cold at Wyckoff Avenue for the (M) to Metropolitan Avenue.

(N), (Q), (W) B/B+: All pretty similar, rather reliable, new and clean cars, nice stations, decent wait times. Only thing I have to complain about is the slight crowding, and the fact that they have become a nail in the coffin of variety. That is why they are all graded together.

(R) D: I can only thing of the fact that its R-46s don't break down often. Otherwise, the (R) is slow, boring, infrequent, and generally unreliable.

The (S)huttles B: they usually get people to the right places, and are reliable. The only bad sides are crowding, and the fact that they run short routes.

(V) D: The (V) is slow, never sees the light of day, and can sometimes be slow and/or crowded. The R-42s that run on it are in terrible shape. I like the R-42s, but in the past 2 weeks, I have been taking the 6th Avenue Line frequently, and I assure you that NOT ONCE has there been an occasion when the (V) R-42s have stopped at a station without a loud, ear-hurting screeching of brakes.:tdown:

Well, that's just my two cents.

LRG said the line you live near and use, not combination :P

Theoretically, I can take almost any line to get home, but I usually take, in varying frequency and length, any line except the (J)(Z)(L)(7)(6)(W)(N) and sometimes (M) trains. I used to take these routes frequently before I moved out of my childhood home of Middle Village, though. So here goes:

(1) C/C-: More crowded than you think, long wait times, somewhat dirty, very boring. The R-62As used there are, surprisingly, far less interesting than the R-62s on the (3). I don't love the 1

(2) C: Is the West side version of the (6) in terms of crowding. The R-142s are in good shape, but I've never cared for them.

(3) B-: Super fast as it flies down 7th Avenue, very bouncy, and its R-62s are somewhat intriguing 9maybe it's the propulsion sound?). The 3 has always been very reliable for me.

(4) D+: During rush hour, the train is crowded from Fulton Street until somewhere between Burnside Av. and Bedford Park. A PITA if you don't have a seat, and are traveling from Nevins Street to Bedford Park Blvd. Gets delayed.

(5) C-: A bit less crowded than the 4, but runs infrequently compared to the 4 and (6). Also, has been real slow in the Bronx lately.

(6) D-/E+: This line is two steps away from either becoming an Epic Fail or a major urban catastrophe. The most crowded of the IRT lines, sometimes untidy, always chaotic, sometimes delayed.

(7) C: Good sides- beautiful view, fast and fun ride, relatively clean, uses singles, and has a RFW. Bad sides- crowded, delayed in the winter, no good on the weekend, and not always co-ordinated.

(A) B: Fast, somewhat reliable, scenic in Queens. However, wait times are a problem, and the R-44s on it look like relative (J)U(N)(K). Is most enjoyable when runs R-32s.

(:D C-: Not as fast as certain other lines, ridiculous wait times, and the R-68As running on it are dirty and not as fun as the R-40s where. Messy service south of Prospect Park. Best aspect is the occasional r-32 set running on it.

(C) C: Sometimes frequent, sometimes infrequent. Runs in atunnel the entire route, is local, and doesn't always run on weekends. however, it is an enjoyable line to a certain extent. Uses interesting cars, and is somewhat reliable.

(D) C+: Reliable, express, and has a nice section in South Brooklyn. Bad sides are dirty cars, some dirty stations, occasional extensive wait times, and a lack of variety in terms of car fleet.

(E) D: Horribly crowded, frequently delayed, and a pain in Queens. r-160s are somewhat of an improvement, but Jamaica Yard needs to MAINTAIN them.

(F) C-: sometimes good, sometimes bad. Is sometimes dependable, but a bit slow. Car fleet in an odd mix (R-46 and R-160? Come on:p). Is HELL when tied up.

(G) E-: When was the last time this line went to Queens? Seriously. What normal subway line uses only 4 cars? Waiting for that train is like waiting for bin-Laden to come out of hiding. The (G)= Epic FAIL :tdown::tdown::tdown:

(J)/(Z) D+: The cars may be new, but the cars and stations are downright DIRTY. Many stations, as well as the elevated structure itself, need re-hab. And before they started making recent progress, riding the (J) or (Z) from Chambers to Myrtle on a set of beat-up R-42s could have been described as such- Descent Into the Maelstrom.

(L) C-:Outrageously crowded, not always on time, weekend delays. Its R-143s are OK, though.

(M) C-/D+: The C- applies to today, for the occasional long wait times, slow service, and decrepit overall route, with Chambers Street being the centerpiece. The D+ is for when I used to take it regularly up to 2007, when the R-42s would sometimes break down, the switches at Myrtle Avenue would screw up, and the times when I waited 20 minutes in the cold at Wyckoff Avenue for the (M) to Metropolitan Avenue.

(N), (Q), (W) B/B+: All pretty similar, rather reliable, new and clean cars, nice stations, decent wait times. Only thing I have to complain about is the slight crowding, and the fact that they have become a nail in the coffin of variety. That is why they are all graded together.

(R) D: I can only thing of the fact that its R-46s don't break down often. Otherwise, the (R) is slow, boring, infrequent, and generally unreliable.

The (S)huttles B: they usually get people to the right places, and are reliable. The only bad sides are crowding, and the fact that they run short routes.

(V) D: The (V) is slow, never sees the light of day, and can sometimes be slow and/or crowded. The R-42s that run on it are in terrible shape. I like the R-42s, but in the past 2 weeks, I have been taking the 6th Avenue Line frequently, and I assure you that NOT ONCE has there been an occasion when the R-42s have stopped at a station without a loud, ear-hurting screeching of brakes.:tdown:

Well, that's just my two cents.

Ratings as of May of 2003:

(E) B+ Just for the amount of people that rides that line during the time. Love the old cars though and fast service.

(F) B+ Same as (E)

(G) C+ Not the best but not the worst. 4 cars is a let down though as well as being shorten to Court Sq.

(R) B- Being almost the most frequent train back then, even with the (V) in service, its decent. Not slow nor fast.

(V) B Good for the QBL people, a one way seat to the 6th Ave Line w/out transfering to the (F)

(I don't live near it but was ridden frequently back in the late 90s very early 2000s)

(N) A- Same as below ( (7) ). I don't know why I would give it a lower grade though...

(J)/(M) B Same as (E) but elevated, would have given a higher grade but I don't know why again...

and then....(7)

A! Nice service, Elevated so I can see everything, love the old fleets and also...the only IRT line I have rode in my entire life(or that I can remember)

LRG said the line you live near and use, not combination :P

I guess if you use these lines in an average daily commute to work and/or school, then it's okay. But remember to rate the lines that you live by.

I guess if you use these lines in an average daily commute to work and/or school, then it's okay. But remember to rate the lines that you live by.

I thought the idea was to rate it on performance, not looks or equipment. Is that the case?

I shall rate the lines I often use in my commute:

(D): B-. My home line often gets the job done as far as getting me where I need to go, but service is infrequent and plagued by delays, PM rush express service ends too early, and many Bronx stations (including my home station, Fordham Rd) are in need of rehab and P.A. (it'd be nice to know why I'm waiting over 20 minutes for a train when I should be waiting less than 10...)

(E): B-. Frequent service, but often crowded. If the (E) train is delayed, chances are you'll have to fight your way on - or off!

(V): C+. I use it only when I don't feel like fighting crowds on the (E). I've always found a seat on the (V), but service is quite infrequent.

(4): B. Very frequent, but very crowded. Often gets delayed during the rush, but that's no surprise to me.

These are my ratings based on experience and daily travel

(A) Because Its my favorite line,they have R44s,The ride through Jamaica bay is freaking amazing.A+

(E) Fast R32s,Frequent trains.A

(F) Smooth,Subtle,63rd street connection.B

(G) Dirty stations,lengthy wait times,4-car sets.C-

(J)/(Z) Skip stop service.B-

(5) sole line for R142s(Bombardier),Scenery through the bronx is great,Most frequent line for fights and confrontations.B

(7)/<7> Very fast express service,Diverse communities,hence the name"the international express" Miss the redbirds,frequent trains.A

(JFK)Express You will be missed.Rating R.I.P

(5)<5> B+ I May hate the cars that run on the (5) but i love the Express and most of the time i get a seat fast. Now when the (5) had The redbirds it was an A+

(S)huttle to Dyre C+ i hate the cars that run on it and if i miss it im stuck for 15-20mins but at least i have service. Now if the R62 were still on it. it would be a B-

(5) B+: since it runs to Flatbush all hours now than just rush hours, it's been my favorite line. I can always count on the 5 to be less crowded than the 2 or 4 trains

(2) C+: before the (5) ran to Flatbush the 2 would've scored less as it was always crowded and had long gaps between trains. Now that I don't have to rely only on the 2, I don't hate the 2 as much as I used to. And now the 2 trains are at least a bit less crowded so that helps it as well.

This is easy.

(:) gets an A+ for frequency, and it's on time every time for me.

(D) gets a B+ because it's on time, but maybe it needs to come more frequently.

(F) gets a C+, frequency is good, but being on time can be an issue with the switches, especially using the same tracks as (E)(G)(V). I'm not a fan of some (F)'s terminating/originating at Kings Highway, because I live south of that station.

(M) gets an A-, for frequency, the cars are mostly clean. I'd like it to got to Bay Parkway all day long.

(N) gets a B+, same issue with the (D) in terms of frequency. The cars are clean too.

(Q) gets a A for being on time, and frequency is good, just needs some cleaning.

Archived