M-8 Discussion

St Louis Car 09

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Instead of thoughts or opinions, may I ask a question? :)

Is a bar car really needed at MNRR?

Yes to keep the Connecticut Commuters sane after a long day at work. Its also a bit of tradition for some...... The Newer cars will be more of a cafe car then a bar car....

Instead of thoughts or opinions, may I ask a question? :P

Is a bar car really needed at MNRR?

From a fiscal point of view, yes. It's a huge source of revenue for MNR, and Metro-North is one of the last, possibly THE last commuter railroad in the US to still offer an open bar car service.

Here's a question for Truckie:

Are bar cars a hot topic for customer service reps to respond to for whatever reason, and did C.S. receive a lot of "We want our bar cars!" last year before it was announced that some of the new M8 cars would become bar/cafe cars?

Here's a question for Homeball:

I generally see bar cars placed in the middle of a consist, whenever possible. Is this for ease of access from both ends of the train, or to minimize inebriated passengers from passing between cars by usually having the bar car platform, or for ease of car-cuts at short platforms, or am I completely off with my observation?

Here's a question for Homeball:

I generally see bar cars placed in the middle of a consist, whenever possible. Is this for ease of access from both ends of the train, or to minimize inebriated passengers from passing between cars by usually having the bar car platform, or for ease of car-cuts at short platforms, or am I completely off with my observation?

Barcars are also found on the front of the consist

Barcars are also found on the front of the consist

Good point, and there have been a few times this past winter in which the head car on my 1503 train was a bar car, due to equipment shortages. However, considering that said train departs New Haven at 4:12 am and arrives at GCT at 5:47 am, food and beverages were not being vended. To be honest, I'm not sure I've ever seen a bar car with food and beverage service at the head of a consist in excess of six cars. That's not to say that it never happens, but generally a bar car at the head end seems to be more of an equipment move or to provide extra equipment during times of excess equipment shortages.

If there is any reason for bar car placement it's probably so that it's closer to the block at GCT more foot traffic most people pass through from the south end. Perhaps even they're easier to load from the south end of the platforms in GCT since the commissary is by the elevators. Though it's mentioned in MNR OBSM(On-Board Service Manual) that bar cars are placed in the train in an area that would normally be open for service, I can't imagine any bar car trains having closed cars during the rush hour, so all the cars on a train would be open anyway. But more than that I would think it's purely coincidental. Sort of like bathroom cars on bomb trains, they could be anywhere.

Second set consists of 9121-20 - 9119-18 - 9111-10 - 9123-22

There are 6 cars in Yonkers 4 still from pantograph damage and one pair for other modifications, believed to be one first pairs.

Currently two cars at sea, and two more on Boat but has not left Japan yet,

6 cars ready for shipping on next boat and last pair sometime in May

Good point, and there have been a few times this past winter in which the head car on my 1503 train was a bar car, due to equipment shortages. However, considering that said train departs New Haven at 4:12 am and arrives at GCT at 5:47 am, food and beverages were not being vended. To be honest, I'm not sure I've ever seen a bar car with food and beverage service at the head of a consist in excess of six cars. That's not to say that it never happens, but generally a bar car at the head end seems to be more of an equipment move or to provide extra equipment during times of excess equipment shortages.
Funny you mentioned that because on one of my previous trips to NYC,the lead car was a bar car.Very odd ride I must add.

I wouldn't call that a door malfunction.. Looks like the doors weren't closing somewhere else on the consist.

Conductor confirmed it. He was in the cab of the same car I was filming from. Conductor himself:

http://gregorygrice.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2456971

• 3 weeks later...

For those of you foamers :P The M8s run on theses trains:

Weekday:

1375 (arrives on Track 108 in GCT)

1570 (Track 109 in GCT)

1370 (Track 108 in GCT)

Thats all for now. More later :P

As a sign that things are truly changing...

Several weeks ago I was aboard the 1570 (6:29 pm GCT-NHV), an eight-car consist of M8's, waiting for it to depart from 109 Track. About ten minutes before it departed, the 1577 (4:24 pm NHV-GCT) arrived on 108 Track, another eight-car consist of M8's and nothing but.

After a brutal winter, Hell has begun to thaw.

:cool: