M-8 Discussion

St Louis Car 09

They're in revenue service!!!

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2011/03/01/news/doc4d6d0d911118d670996364.txt?viewmode=fullstory

The first eight of Metro-North's new M8 rail cars took their first run from Stamford for New York's Grand Central Terminal this morning.

"It arrived on time" at 11:36 a.m., according to Marjorie Anders, spokeswoman for Metro-North.

The move means the cars have passed 4,000 miles of problem-free testing. The next cars to go in service will need to pass only 1,000 miles of testing.

"It's as advertised; it's pretty sweet," said James Cameron, chairman of the Connecticut Rail Commuter Council by cell phone from the train. "It's comfortable and the heat works. It's a very smooth ride; that's what I've noticed most. I know where all the bumps and bruises are."

The new train was launched with no fanfare this morning, although state Transportation Commissioner Jeffrey A. Parker, Metro-North President Howard Permut and several employees of Kawasaki, the cars' manufacturer, made the first trip.

News images:

doc4d6d0d911118d6709963641.jpg

doc4d6d0d911118d670996364.jpg

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They're in revenue service!!!

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2011/03/01/news/doc4d6d0d911118d670996364.txt?viewmode=fullstory

The first eight of Metro-North's new M8 rail cars took their first run from Stamford for New York's Grand Central Terminal this morning.

Damn it you beat me to it.Its going to arrive at stamford at 3:17 and I have to WORK!!!!! FACK THIS!!!!!!:cry:

I keep my finger cross for regular NH line riders who deserve a 'reward' for the crappy 2010-'11 winter season that has dropped the availablity of the existing train fleet to bare bones.

My brother who works for Metro North told me the same thing. If this latest test of a new M-8 going 4,000 miles with no errors at all, as early as the start of March (he doubtful for this Saturday 2/26 but not impossible)the 1st cars could debut then.

Subject to change though.

If you had read this above last week, I was the most accurate in the date the 1st set of M-8's went into service. I said around the first week of March from my brother who works in Metro North.

Anyhow ah men that they are starting to arrive and put to retirement almost all of the current NH fleet.

So I'm guessing no rail fan window for recording correct? Ha there's something our Silverliner Vs have up on your M8s

lol theres an OPTIONAL railfan window depending on whether the engineer operates with a full width cab or a half width...

and hmmm I'm guessing the M8's have more reliability and are built by a better company? Ha there's something our M8's have up on ur Silverliner Vs.

lol theres an OPTIONAL railfan window depending on whether the engineer operates with a full width cab or a half width...

and hmmm I'm guessing the M8's have more reliability and are built by a better company? Ha there's something our M8's have up on ur Silverliner Vs.

Indeed. Although I still think the front of the M8's could have been better (although I'm actually starting to like it now), the reliabilty is waaaaay better at Kawasaki (and Bombardier with the M7's too).

I think the Engineers will prefer to use the full cab not half ;)! Why would one bother being squeezed inside a half one anyways lol

Indeed. Although I still think the front of the M8's could have been better (although I'm actually starting to like it now), the reliabilty is waaaaay better at Kawasaki (and Bombardier with the M7's too).

I'm starting to like the face, too.

I think the Engineers will prefer to use the full cab not half ;)! Why would one bother being squeezed inside a half one anyways lol

Shoot, ain't it more like a third (1/3) cab.

Edited by m7zanr160s
Added quote

http://ridgefield.patch.com/articles/inside-the-m-8-riding-metro-norths-new-train-video

The train will depart from New Haven at 6:24 a.m. and arrive at Grand Central Terminal at 8:06 a.m. (It won't be stopping in Darien, but if you commute from Stamford, it's the 7:16 a.m.)

Next, it will make an empty trip to Harrison, N.Y. and return to Grand Central again at 9:15 a.m. The train*will stay there during the day for the railroad to train engineers and conductors in its use.

Finally, it will leave Grand Central at 4:07 p.m. and arrive in New Haven at 5:54 p.m. (passing through Stamford at 4:52 p.m.).

This applies to today, tomorrow and Friday. Happy M8 hunting guys!

While walking back to work during my lunchbreak along Madison Av, I saw the M8's heading towards Conneticut around 98th St. They look fabulous. The trains are real shiny and the red stands out. The horn is no joke either, that's what made me look towards Park Ave to begin with. LOL I can't wait to ride these trains soon.

This was around 1:40pm.