Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to go back to the orientation tomorrow since the June class is full. My drug test is only good for 90 days, so I must do everything over for the next class ugh

Aww yes I know that sucks like hell. But it's ok as long as your clean just go there and let them put you in which ever class has openings. Once your done then you will get called in for medical quickly. Just make sure you tell them your dilemma and maybe they will call you faster to come in for medical...

They really should have called you in for medical already. It's been a while since your initial pre employment appearance. You should call HR at least once or twice a week it helps... Especially if you have already been called in for your initial pre employment appearance.

@TakingtooLong... Yeah you're right. I was making sure to try not to miss any calls, checking my email and my mails faithfully but nothing but another orientation letter to fill out. Do you have a different number because they rarely answer the one I have..

@TakingtooLong... Yeah you're right. I was making sure to try not to miss any calls, checking my email and my mails faithfully but nothing but another orientation letter to fill out. Do you have a different number because they rarely answer the one I have..

The only number I have is Ms Rivera's number which is (347) 643-8218... Not sure if this is the number you've been calling, but she is really nice and is always willing to answer your questions. Whilst waiting for my medical she has given me so much info in regards to when they would call, and what to expect. Listen Courtney, someone on this thread went through the same exact things as you. They also had to do the medical all over again because it expired. They were called last August for their initial pre employment date... then after the drug test expired they were called in again then went to training in January. So they will call you for training maybe by August if anything. I know it sucks being given the run around and not knowing whats what but you WILL go to training.... People have been in your shoes.

@TakingtooLong Thank you I know how the city so I'm definitely not surprised about getting the run around. Im really not that upset because I have another job opportunity and I'm not sure which one I should go with. So I'm stuck lol

well i called pre employment today and was told i passed my drug test and they dont know when they are going to call me i was hoping for the june class i will keep my fingers crossed i get in july.

well i called pre employment today and was told i passed my drug test and they dont know when they are going to call me i was hoping for the june class i will keep my fingers crossed i get in july.

Well that's good news. You know it be will soon. They won't forget about you.

TSS are supervisors who work various positions..when you start school car you will be assigned to a TSS school car instructor and then you have the TSS who work int he subways as undercovers who will ride on your train and see if your making the right announcements, pointing at the conductor board ( white and black board outside your train that you have to point to because that tells you that your train is stopped perfectly for you to open the door) they will write you up for all the little shitty things..the trainoperator gets it worse ...they would go up front and ride with them to see if there obeying the speed limit, lights and drill them with signal questions..same goes for the conductor they can ride with you as well..its not an easy job, there is so much responsibilities involved that you will look at your pay and say its not worth it..t/o started with over $30 per hour and I can tell you..it wasn't worth it..MTA owns you and your life...I am just telling you guys how it is because I was in schoolcar and spoke to a lot of workers and got a lot of insight so I don't mind sharing..MTAhopeful can tell you as well..its not a job for everyone..opening and closing doors is not just what the conductor does..there is soooooo much..you got to deal with intercom complaints, sick passengers, irate passengers, people spitting on you, train delays and your getting blamed..this is just to name a few..circuit switches because they do trip a lot

TSS are like military police, supervising the conduct of conductors and train operators. They're always looking to find people not doing their jobs correctly. There's a board hanging from the ceiling in subway platforms at roughly midway down the platform. The conductor is supposed to point to it after he opens his window before opening the doors. Sometimes TSS will cover the board. In such cases the conductor is supposed to avoid opening the doors. The idea is to make sure conductors pay attention to detail. A covered board indicates something is wrong, like an unlit signal should appear to a train operator.

You guys need to stop spewing that BS!

I actually passed school car and am out her working daily. I still have weekends off as a train operator, and TSS help us out a lot. If you get caught doing the wrong thing there can be consequences. No one is out here paranoid, hiding from TSS, and scared to death. If you had passed school car you would know this. Time flies down here, and when the TSS get to know your face and knows you do ur job all is gravy.

From my understanding being a conductor is less stressful than being a train operator because your responsibilities are less, and you don't need to memorize so much. School car is far shorter, 6 weeks compared to 7-9 months, and all this makes it easier to pass probation and make this a permanent job. But you have to stay on your toes, if you screw up and get caught NYC Transit will make your life miserable and try to get rid of you, even after you're permanent.

Both titles can be stressful However, everyone handles stress differently. Dealing with public is not easy, and for everyone.

Its actually the other way around, probation is "easier" for TO, because after school car they only have a 3-5 months of probation left. Where as a conductor has about ten months of probation remaining after school car, and dealing with customers in service.

Archived