Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of high-fructose corn syrup, be careful of any product containing the words "fructose-glucose syrup" or "corn sugar" in the ingredient list. This means the product has high-fructose corn syrup in it.

I avoid that crap like the plague. Most drinks in Whole Foods advertises not having that in the ingredients.

Actually be careful of any product... Unless you're shopping at Perelandra or Whole Foods... Your "100% real orange juice" shouldn't have over fifteen ingredients... Half of which you can't even pronounce...

LOL... Even when shopping at Whole Foods I read the ingredients... Important for me to know what I'm eating.

The point is nothing is good for you anymore. I don't need some sort of tirade about how you're so much more successful at life than the rest of us and can afford to shop at other places, back the hell off when I decide to go to Taco Bell or what have you once in a while. And don't go on some sort of lame anecdote, either.

Edited by Joel Up Front

When I was in high school/college, I didn't see routefanning necessarily as a hobby, per se... So there was no feeling of having to be open about or having to hide anything...... The more I posted on rider diaries, the more I realized this can be (and is) considered a hobby..... I considered (and still do) card collecting as my hobby - that I never hid, although none of my other friends were card collectors......

I was (and still not) too big on fashion.... While I don't wear hand-me-downs or bootleg shit, I'm not the guy blowing hundreds of dollars tryna look fly & keeping up w/ fashion trends either.... like I told 553Bridgeton in the NBA thread (I think it was), I've never owned a pair of Jordans.....

Subway car interest I'm not near as big on, as I'm more of a bus enthusiast....

1) Same here.... Marriage nowadays isn't much more than a solitary day where that female gets attention-whored out of her mind & a long term business endeavor (financial security)..... I truly don't know of one happily married man - You will hear/see/read about a lot of bored, sexless (from his wife anyway), and miserable ones though.....

2) Much respect !

3) I'm also a switch hitter.... equal power on both sides.....

When I bat lefty, I like the ball middle-to-down (doesn't matter if it's away or in) - most lefties like the ball down anyway, it's an easier swinging motion.... When I bat righty, I'm kinda like andruw jones - you better be throwing upper 90's+ to get one past me on a consistent basis.... otherwise that ball will be traveling a long way.... gotta thank my uncle for teaching me how to become a more focused batter, because I would always worry about the ball hitting me, more than I was hitting it..... As far as location from the right side, as long as it's not in the dirt, I'm good (but I wouldn't swing for that anyway.... that or a fastball above my shoulders).....

Infield I didn't care for because you always have to be on your toes... in the OF, you can kinda relax a little more....

lol @ the basketball & football comments..... shooting is a touch & feel thing; you can teach form, but you can't teach accuracy... you either have it or you don't..... sometimes the more shots I made, the bigger the cylinder appeared to me (which of course makes things easier)...... Kevin Durant is a beast though, with his shooting touch..... As for football, throwing it to butterfinger recievers made things challenging..... you pretty much had to beam the football into their stomachs - which takes accuracy.... I knew who I could lead the football to when I was QB-ing, and who I had to basically throw a bullet right at them in order for them to have a shot at catching it.......

Yeah I've never owned a pair of Jordans either...

Agreed about the marriage... It's funny how couples think that marriage is the best thing for them and in no more than two months, They are already cursing the mess out of each other lol... Females most common excuse: I'm too tired for sex... Here's the thing with divorce, In divorce court, The female 9/10 will have the most sympathy... It only gets worse when the judge is a female... Bottom line, Men get rapped in divorce court...

When I bat lefty, I like the ball low-middle and away... Batting left, I tend to get a little more locked up than batting righty when swinging at a pitch inside... As I've told MTAFanBoy, Had a few chicks almost take my head off because they can't swing properly when I was playing catcher...

Yeah I had no accuracy while shoot in basketball whatsoever... The only way I can catch a football was like you said, If they threw it directly at me...

Unlike a lot of older folks, I don't mind choppin it up w/ cats that's younger than I am.....

to add to that, you're never too old to learn something from someone......

Thanks for the compliment btw, famm's !

I like wearing black clothing b/c if I spill something on it, it's not easily noticable.... LOL !

No problem bro! =]

True true lol.

I would like this post because of this particular line (Thank you!) but I have reached my like quota for the day :(

Oh you too? Damn... But thanks!

The point is nothing is good for you anymore.

I've came to this same conclusion.... I'll just eat whatever I choose to eat & die whenever I do without worrying what the hell the next person's eating while I'm living..... Every god damn thing supposedly gives you cancer nowadays.....

Agreed about the marriage... It's funny how couples think that marriage is the best thing for them and in no more than two months, They are already cursing the mess out of each other lol... Females most common excuse: I'm too tired for sex... Here's the thing with divorce, In divorce court, The female 9/10 will have the most sympathy... It only gets worse when the judge is a female... Bottom line, Men get rapped in divorce court...

When I bat lefty, I like the ball low-middle and away... Batting left, I tend to get a little more locked up than batting righty when swinging at a pitch inside... As I've told MTAFanBoy, Had a few chicks almost take my head off because they can't swing properly when I was playing catcher...

Yeah I had no accuracy while shoot in basketball whatsoever...

The only way I can catch a football was like you said, If they threw it directly at me...

Don't get me started with the court system in this country, especially divorce courts...... That is where I do side w/ FRA's/MRA's.

As for the sports talks.... Looks to me like you like hitting the ball to the opposite side of the field, which is hard for most lefties do to.....

(which is one reason why Robinson Cano for example gets high praises for being such a good hitter.... Not too many lefties can hit opposite field, or even hit to all fields...... Most lefties are dead pull hitters)

Don't get me started with the court system in this country, especially divorce courts...... That is where I do side w/ FRA's/MRA's.

As for the sports talks.... Looks to me like you like hitting the ball to the opposite side of the field, which is hard for most lefties do to.....

(which is one reason why Robinson Cano for example gets high praises for being such a good hitter.... Not too many lefties can hit opposite field, or even hit to all fields...... Most lefties are dead pull hitters)

The courts systems in America are a joke... It's a damn shame too...

Yeah I tend to hit it more towards opposite field. More so batting righty... I swing a little late to help it go to opposite field... While batting lefty, I tend to foul balls much more than batting righty.... One time, I almost ripped the third baseman's head htting lefty... Even though I can switch hit, I bat a bit better with my right... I had a few opposite field homers whenever they gave me my favorite pitch to hit.

I've came to this same conclusion.... I'll just eat whatever I choose to eat & die whenever I do without worrying what the hell the next person's eating while I'm living..... Every god damn thing supposedly gives you cancer nowadays.....

What's next? Fruit gives you influenza? Vegetables cause obesity?

The point is nothing is good for you anymore. I don't need some sort of tirade about how you're so much more successful at life than the rest of us and can afford to shop at other places, back the hell off when I decide to go to Taco Bell or what have you once in a while. And don't go on some sort of lame anecdote, either.

lol... I live by a simple formula... Eat things in moderation and keep yourself active and you'll be fine. I had ice cream last night for example... No low fat garbage either... The real deal, but I eat it maybe a few times a year. That's the real problem with most folks... No self control and the fact that we've been re-programmed to think that everything we eat must be supersized.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

It's more the tomato sauce that Congress declared a vegetable, not the pizza itself.

It was considered a vegetable in school lunches (now they gotta be "health conscious") but the tomatoes are crap in the first place so it doesn't matter. This is just another half-assed excuse for big business to keep things cheap.

It was considered a vegetable in school lunches (now they gotta be "health conscious") but the tomatoes are crap in the first place so it doesn't matter. This is just another half-assed excuse for big business to keep things cheap.

LOL! That made me chuckle. I hear in some schools now they're hiring "chefs" to come in with organic or natural food to offer better quality than the current crappola they've been serving. At first the kids are suspicious, but once they see what it is and often times help to grow the food themselves, then they're cool with it.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Thank you! :) everyone tells me that I am way more mature than my age, I guess I am (i'm only 17) and likewise, there are ppl who say some really good things on this forum, like you and B35...

I remember when I used to volunteer down at the SI Children's Museum, there was a guy who I thought was just entering high school, and he thought I was just entering high school. (I was in like 6th grade and thought he was in 9th grade). Then a couple of years later, I ran into him at the bus stop and I found out he was going to CSI. I'm like "damn, I thought you were just finishing up high school now, and you're well into college", and he's like "I thought you were in high school when I met you. You mean you're just starting?" LOL. I guess I was more mature for my age and he joked around that he must've acted immature for his age. LMAO.

Yeah I've never owned a pair of Jordans either...

Jordans? What are those? LOL.

In any case, I just checked the distance between 2 points I walked and it was 4.6 miles. I started in West Brighton, stopped by at Western Beef, and then went home. (I guess you could count the distance within the store, since it was basically nonstop walking). Now that I think about it, I should've taken a different route. Instead of walking along Forest Avenue, I should've tried to stick with the residential streets for a more pleasant walk. Ah, well, I know for next time....

On a side note, SMH at Western Beef for reducing the sizes of the yogurt containers. They used to be the last holdouts with the 8 ounce containers, and now they're down to 6 ounces like everybody else (SMH at all of them too). I'd prefer the price be raised a little bit instead of this sneaky tactic. The funny thing is that their yogurt is the same price as the LaYogurt, so obviously if two things are the same price, you go with the name brand.

I remember when I used to volunteer down at the SI Children's Museum, there was a guy who I thought was just entering high school, and he thought I was just entering high school. (I was in like 6th grade and thought he was in 9th grade). Then a couple of years later, I ran into him at the bus stop and I found out he was going to CSI. I'm like "damn, I thought you were just finishing up high school now, and you're well into college", and he's like "I thought you were in high school when I met you. You mean you're just starting?" LOL. I guess I was more mature for my age and he joked around that he must've acted immature for his age. LMAO.

Jordans? What are those? LOL.

In any case, I just checked the distance between 2 points I walked and it was 4.6 miles. I started in West Brighton, stopped by at Western Beef, and then went home. (I guess you could count the distance within the store, since it was basically nonstop walking). Now that I think about it, I should've taken a different route. Instead of walking along Forest Avenue, I should've tried to stick with the residential streets for a more pleasant walk. Ah, well, I know for next time....

On a side note, SMH at Western Beef for reducing the sizes of the yogurt containers. They used to be the last holdouts with the 8 ounce containers, and now they're down to 6 ounces like everybody else (SMH at all of them too). I'd prefer the price be raised a little bit instead of this sneaky tactic. The funny thing is that their yogurt is the same price as the LaYogurt, so obviously if two things are the same price, you go with the name brand.

1.) That's funny, everybody when they see me at first thinks that I am younger than my actual age. Right before I moved out of the city, I ran into an old family friend, and he was like "What grade are you in? 6th? 7th?" and I was shocked :o I told him that I was in 10th Grade, and he was shocked, but then we had a conversation and told me that I am indeed very mature for my age, even more mature than the adults in the area, LOL.

2.) Are you joking about the jordans? lol, they're not even all that tho..

You walked 4.6 miles? Sheesh. That is similar to the time that I walked from South Ferry to 42nd St last year... I walked along the FDR Drive, through the projects I lived in, to 1st aveune then up to 42nd then over to times square, way more pleasant than walking through Midtown, although walking anywhere through Manhattan is very nice..

I noticed that, not only at Western Beef, but also in Pathmark.. It is cheaper for them to put less yogurt in the container (less made, I guess) but they make more money because they charge the same amt. for it... A very sneaky tactic.. This is why I have been starting to go to BJs and walmart over by Green Acres for grocery shopping, might as well get it all in bulk lol...

1.) That's funny, everybody when they see me at first thinks that I am younger than my actual age. Right before I moved out of the city, I ran into an old family friend, and he was like "What grade are you in? 6th? 7th?" and I was shocked :o I told him that I was in 10th Grade, and he was shocked, but then we had a conversation and told me that I am indeed very mature for my age, even more mature than the adults in the area, LOL.

2.) Are you joking about the jordans? lol, they're not even all that tho..

You walked 4.6 miles? Sheesh. That is similar to the time that I walked from South Ferry to 42nd St last year... I walked along the FDR Drive, through the projects I lived in, to 1st aveune then up to 42nd then over to times square, way more pleasant than walking through Midtown, although walking anywhere through Manhattan is very nice..

I noticed that, not only at Western Beef, but also in Pathmark.. It is cheaper for them to put less yogurt in the container (less made, I guess) but they make more money because they charge the same amt. for it... A very sneaky tactic.. This is why I have been starting to go to BJs and walmart over by Green Acres for grocery shopping, might as well get it all in bulk lol...

1) I guess when you get to be like 60 or 70, you'll be glad people think you're younger than your actual age. LOL.

2) Yeah, I know what they are, but I can't see paying that much for sneakers. I remember somebody talking about how he waited for hours to get them when they were first released, and paying like $150 or something. My attitude is that if it's comfortable and looks decent, I'll buy it. I mean, I generally don't spend much more than $30 on sneakers. If I spend any more, it's likely because there's a "Buy One Get One Free (or half-price)" deal or something.

And yeah, the next time I do the walk, I'll plan a little in advance. I was planning on going home, so the route I took made sense, but then I decided to stop by at Western Beef (the route I took was still direct, but since it was along Forest Avenue, I had to deal with all the traffic and everything instead of taking calm, quiet streets, even if it took a little longer). I mean, walking a distance like that isn't bad if you just take it easy and go along streets meant for walking (I mean, if you walk along Arthur Kill Road west of Richmond Avenue, that obviously wasn't intended to have a whole lot of pedestrians on it).

And yeah, it's getting kind of ridiculous. I mean, really? 59 ounce containers of orange juice? A "1/2 gallon" of ice cream is usually 48 ounces instead of 64. If you get the largest container, they generally don't play too many games (I guess they like it when you buy in bulk), but with smaller containers, they're doing it all over the place.

Generally, my price limit on any article of clothing is $40, unless it's a winter coat, which I am willing to spend up to $90 dollars for.

I need to be warm in the winter, I'm the guy who wears 4 layers + in January/February...

1) I guess when you get to be like 60 or 70, you'll be glad people think you're younger than your actual age. LOL.

2) Yeah, I know what they are, but I can't see paying that much for sneakers. I remember somebody talking about how he waited for hours to get them when they were first released, and paying like $150 or something. My attitude is that if it's comfortable and looks decent, I'll buy it. I mean, I generally don't spend much more than $30 on sneakers. If I spend any more, it's likely because there's a "Buy One Get One Free (or half-price)" deal or something.

And yeah, the next time I do the walk, I'll plan a little in advance. I was planning on going home, so the route I took made sense, but then I decided to stop by at Western Beef (the route I took was still direct, but since it was along Forest Avenue, I had to deal with all the traffic and everything instead of taking calm, quiet streets, even if it took a little longer). I mean, walking a distance like that isn't bad if you just take it easy and go along streets meant for walking (I mean, if you walk along Arthur Kill Road west of Richmond Avenue, that obviously wasn't intended to have a whole lot of pedestrians on it).

And yeah, it's getting kind of ridiculous. I mean, really? 59 ounce containers of orange juice? A "1/2 gallon" of ice cream is usually 48 ounces instead of 64. If you get the largest container, they generally don't play too many games (I guess they like it when you buy in bulk), but with smaller containers, they're doing it all over the place.

1.) Yes indeed. Maybe even earlier, my mom is in her 30s and ppl always think that she is my older sister and that she is in her 20s, she loves it. Kinda weird tho.. :huh: LOL.

2.) I never paid more than 120$ for sneakers, most of these jordans are crap anyways, everyone in my school wears them. I prefer to have my own style and not be mainstream :D . 30$?? :o what sneakers cost 30$ ? Lol, i only know certain types of converse that cost 30$ (not a bad thing at all, being resourceful actually)..

Yes, but I never plan when I walk, I just randomly go down a certain avenue, whether in Astoria, Manhattan or Springfield Gardens, as long as I get to my destination, it really doesn't matter...

That is kind of what the economy has driven them to do.. Seems buying in bulk is the only way you get a bang for your buck...

Generally, my price limit on any article of clothing is $40, unless it's a winter coat, which I am willing to spend up to $90 dollars for.

I need to be warm in the winter, I'm the guy who wears 4 layers + in January/February...

I always wear a winter coat AND a hoodie in January/February, I'm used to hotter climates (based on where I am from) and I can't stand the cold..

I've never spent more than $60 for jeans, $ 40 for a shirt (not a t-shirt, like a button down), 30$ for a t-shirt. I don't see the point in spend $100s of dollars on ONE article of clothing or sneakers..

Edited by MTAFanBoy512