Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

I see them all over Springfield Gardens actually too.. I never wear true religion (I have had a pair of jeans from there once and it was nice) but I stopped just for the fact that everyone wears them -_- They wear it tho, so they are perceived as something that they aren't , its all about image

lol, i am a basic colours guy myself, i prefer them b/c they are easier to find and easier to match.. I have like OCD when it comes to matching.. My shirt, sneakers and snapback all have to match or compliment each other lol..

Exactly, though I do admit that my dress shirts can be busy... Either pinstripes or small checkered style shirts that aren't out there, with a simple solid Italian tie... I stick with one Italian brand usually for shirts since I have long arms. On occasion I buy from this high end Swedish company that makes wrinkle free dress shirts... One of my Swedish shirts... Man I get so much attention when I have it on (which I don't want <_< ). I always liked the shirt, but I never knew it would look so great with the tie I use with it. lol

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly, though I do admit that my dress shirts can be busy... Either pinstripes or small checkered style shirts that aren't out there, with a simple solid Italian tie... I stick with one Italian brand usually for shirts since I have long arms. On occasion I buy from this high end Swedish company that makes wrinkle free dress shirts... One of my Swedish shirts... Man I get so much attention when I have it on (which I don't want <_< ). I always liked the shirt, but I never knew it would look so great with the tie I use with it. lol

@Via yea I'm pretty sure they do. I've heard of a bunch of spots in Jamaica, Queens that sell knock offs... Thou I know a few that can actually afford the real deal but that's of course not honest money ;)

@VG8- Dress sharply and you will indeed get some attention, even if you don't want it - that is what my grandfather told me..

@Jamaica Line - yes indeed you are correct, can get fake anything in jamaica, especially jamaica ave smh and lmaooo!

@Via yea I'm pretty sure they do. I've heard of a bunch of spots in Jamaica, Queens that sell knock offs... Thou I know a few that can actually afford the real deal but that's of course not honest money ;)

Yeah, I was wondering because I've seen a few folks around wearing them and something just looked off about them. True Religion changes out styles here and there, but overall they don't carry that many types of jeans and I was thinking even if they got them custom made (which is a service True Religion offers), why would anyone get custom made jeans that look that sh*tty?? lol

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

@VG8- Dress sharply and you will indeed get some attention, even if you don't want it - that is what my grandfather told me..

@Jamaica Line - yes indeed you are correct, can get fake anything in jamaica, especially jamaica ave smh and lmaooo!

lol for real. If I were to shop for such clothes I'd go straight to the real dealer... I mean how can one be that dumb to think you can find such real clothing at your local clothing store...?

Edited by Jamaica Line

1.) Yes indeed. Maybe even earlier, my mom is in her 30s and ppl always think that she is my older sister and that she is in her 20s, she loves it. Kinda weird tho.. :huh: LOL.

2.) I never paid more than 120$ for sneakers, most of these jordans are crap anyways, everyone in my school wears them. I prefer to have my own style and not be mainstream :D . 30$?? :o what sneakers cost 30$ ? Lol, i only know certain types of converse that cost 30$ (not a bad thing at all, being resourceful actually)..

Yes, but I never plan when I walk, I just randomly go down a certain avenue, whether in Astoria, Manhattan or Springfield Gardens, as long as I get to my destination, it really doesn't matter...

That is kind of what the economy has driven them to do.. Seems buying in bulk is the only way you get a bang for your buck...

3) I always wear a winter coat AND a hoodie in January/February, I'm used to hotter climates (based on where I am from) and I can't stand the cold..

I've never spent more than $60 for jeans, $ 40 for a shirt (not a t-shirt, like a button down), 30$ for a t-shirt. I don't see the point in spend $100s of dollars on ONE article of clothing or sneakers..

1) LOL. I guess the downside is that she might have to deal with guys catcalling her, but I guess she'd be flattered that they thought she looked good enough to bother cat-calling.

2) Ever hear of Payless? ;) Especially with a sale or something, the prices aren't too bad. They actually have like $12 shoes, but the thing is that they have very little cushioning, and no arch in the heel, so I can't wear them.

And the thing is that on SI, the streets don't always connect well. You have to find the streets that cross over the expressways and everything. And even within the neighborhood, some streets just end randomly. For instance, if you start at Dixon & Morningstar and expect to be able to make it to South Avenue, you're in for an unpleasant surprise because it ends by Simonson Avenue, and then you have to find your way to a street that does make it to your destination, which could involve some backtracking. I mean, I'm not in a hurry, but it sucks if you have to do that. (And on a side note, that's the reason why you have routes that twist & turn, like the S46 on the western end)

3) Yeah, I'm the same way. I was tutoring a kid and I was freezing because the A/C was blasting right on me. I'm like "Am I the only on who's cold?" (I wasn't)

1) LOL. I guess the downside is that she might have to deal with guys catcalling her, but I guess she'd be flattered that they thought she looked good enough to bother cat-calling.

2) Ever hear of Payless? ;) Especially with a sale or something, the prices aren't too bad. They actually have like $12 shoes, but the thing is that they have very little cushioning, and no arch in the heel, so I can't wear them.

And the thing is that on SI, the streets don't always connect well. You have to find the streets that cross over the expressways and everything. And even within the neighborhood, some streets just end randomly. For instance, if you start at Dixon & Morningstar and expect to be able to make it to South Avenue, you're in for an unpleasant surprise because it ends by Simonson Avenue, and then you have to find your way to a street that does make it to your destination, which could involve some backtracking. I mean, I'm not in a hurry, but it sucks if you have to do that. (And on a side note, that's the reason why you have routes that twist & turn, like the S46 on the western end)

3) Yeah, I'm the same way. I was tutoring a kid and I was freezing because the A/C was blasting right on me. I'm like "Am I the only on who's cold?" (I wasn't)

1.) She is flattered, in fact, she loves it :rolleyes: her looks got my a discount on my phone so i can't complain. LMAO.

2.) Oh :o I forgot about that place, lol, and there is one right outside the Astoria-Ditmars station lol.. in that instance (with the 12$ shoes) its you get what you paid for... That's why I sometimes become wary of those places.. I am open to anything though.. I have foot problems (My right foot does not go straight, it curves always, whether I walk, sit or anything) so I can't wear certain shoes ..

In springfield gardens, its not a perfect grid, Here is an example.. I live on 223rd Street and if you google maped it, you will see that 223rd street goes straight then merges with 145th avenue, then becomes 223rd street... Its the same w/expressways here too. The Belt pkwy divides my neighborhood and not many streets go over it (225th street, 2 blocks away from me and springfield blvd, which is 4 blocks away are the only ones until around Farmers Blvd, a 15 minute walk) so if you aren't familiar, you would walk down conduit ave till you get to one that crosses over the belt..

3.) AC's always get me cold and I sometimes sneeze from them, while everybody else its natural to them. I prefer a fan or open window as the heat doesn't bother me ... lol..

Edited by MTAFanBoy512

Oh :o I forgot about that place, lol, and there is one right outside the Astoria-Ditmars station lol.. in that instance (with the 12$ shoes) its you get what you paid for... That's why I sometimes become wary of those places.. I am open to anything though.. I have foot problems (My right foot does not go straight, it curves always, whether I walk, sit or anything) so I can't wear certain shoes ..

In springfield gardens, its not a perfect grid, Here is an example.. I live on 223rd Street and if you google maped it, you will see that 223rd street goes straight then merges with 145th avenue, then becomes 223rd street... Its the same w/expressways here too. The Belt pkwy divides my neighborhood and not many streets go over it (225th street, 2 blocks away from me and springfield blvd, which is 4 blocks away are the only ones until around Farmers Blvd, a 15 minute walk) so if you aren't familiar, you would walk down conduit ave till you get to one that crosses over the belt..

Well I actually didn't buy them. But then again, for $12, maybe I could wear them around the house or something.

And the thing is that Springfield Gardens is still a basic grid. I mean, the fact that 225th Street is offset on both sides of 145th Avenue doesn't mean much because it doesn't require much backtracking. I mean, from Dixon to Forest is almost 1/4 of a mile, and then it's 1/4 of a mile to get back up, so you're talking a good 10 minutes out of the way. I mean, it's just kind of crazy the way neighborhood streets don't connect well.

AC's always get me cold and I sometimes sneeze from them, while everybody else its natural to them. I prefer a fan or open window as the heat doesn't bother me ... lol..

Yeah, in the late spring, there were times everybody as complaining that it was too hot and I was still wearing a sweater.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

The ellipses ("continuous periods") was a habit I picked up ever since I've pretty much been on the internet... Someone else a couple months ago (through PM) asked why I use ellipses... one of the main reason is for spacing purposes; makes it easier to tell when a statement is being ended & another is beginning.... as opposed to just the one period you don't really notice if you're speed reading (which I do quite a bit)..... Another reason is, since I used to drop lyrics on rap battle sites, I would always use ellipses after every bar..... On actual paper, I don't write using ellipses though.....

Now that has become a habit in me by typing that way, I Thought I was the only one.

Well I actually didn't buy them. But then again, for $12, maybe I could wear them around the house or something.

And the thing is that Springfield Gardens is still a basic grid. I mean, the fact that 225th Street is offset on both sides of 145th Avenue doesn't mean much because it doesn't require much backtracking. I mean, from Dixon to Forest is almost 1/4 of a mile, and then it's 1/4 of a mile to get back up, so you're talking a good 10 minutes out of the way. I mean, it's just kind of crazy the way neighborhood streets don't connect well.

Yeah, in the late spring, there were times everybody as complaining that it was too hot and I was still wearing a sweater.

I found out why some streets in Springfield Gardens are offset, it is because Springfield Gardens is located on a fault, but idk which one.. Maybe that could be the case for Staten Island as well?

It's weird, I love hot weather and I am really used to it. In May I wore hoodies to school lol, everybody else was like "You aren't hot?" and I was like "No, not at all" LOL. Maybe we're the same ...

I found out why some streets in Springfield Gardens are offset, it is because Springfield Gardens is located on a fault, but idk which one.. Maybe that could be the case for Staten Island as well?

It's weird, I love hot weather and I am really used to it. In May I wore hoodies to school lol, everybody else was like "You aren't hot?" and I was like "No, not at all" LOL. Maybe we're the same ...

I don't think so. I think it just had to do with the fact that SI used to relatively undeveloped, and was kind of like an early suburb, and so they didn't see the need for a nice grid system (I mean, people were more relaxed and didn't need direct streets and everything. As long as they could get to the train line, they could take it to the ferry and get to work. Of course, now it's coming back to bite them in the rear. Plus, we have a few hills and everything, so they planned the streets around that to a certain extent.

Jordans? What are those? LOL.

In any case, I just checked the distance between 2 points I walked and it was 4.6 miles. I started in West Brighton, stopped by at Western Beef, and then went home. (I guess you could count the distance within the store, since it was basically nonstop walking). Now that I think about it, I should've taken a different route. Instead of walking along Forest Avenue, I should've tried to stick with the residential streets for a more pleasant walk. Ah, well, I know for next time....

On a side note, SMH at Western Beef for reducing the sizes of the yogurt containers. They used to be the last holdouts with the 8 ounce containers, and now they're down to 6 ounces like everybody else (SMH at all of them too). I'd prefer the price be raised a little bit instead of this sneaky tactic. The funny thing is that their yogurt is the same price as the LaYogurt, so obviously if two things are the same price, you go with the name brand.

Sneakers named after Michael Jordan LOL. :P Never had a pair nor do I want too...

You've walked all that? I have feet problems so I can't walk all of that... Maybe half of that but that's it...

It wasn't so much that I was more mature for my age, as much as it was, not doing the stupid shit most kids my age did.....

Being observant & learning from others goes a LONG way.....

Yeh, it's easier to hit opposite field batting righty.... not exactly sure why though.....

I would hit a lot of foul balls when I would try to pull the ball....

Batting switch, although I have equal power from both sides, I'm more apt to hitting it into the gap batting lefty, and more apt to hitting "long singles" (lol) or jussst making it to 2B batting right....

How would you describe your stance from both sides of the plate btw?

Me.... from the right side, my stance is exactly like Jeff Bagwell's (old houston astros player).... from the left side, my stance is similar to coco crisp (where my chin is on my left shoulder as I'm batting).....

Hmm to be honest, I've never really gave it much thought on how my batting stance is similar to someone... I'll try to describe it the best I can...

Batting right: My legs are apart but to too far apart. The bat is not too high off my shoulders. I start to move the bat in a slight up-down motion. While my body moves slightly back and forth while waiting for the pitch... When I swing, Depending on where the ball was, I'll take my right hand off the bat while my left stays on it...

Batting left: Very similar to my right but a little less swaying and when I swing I usually keep both hands on the bat regardless where the ball was...

I'm going to look at MLB player's stances when I can to let you know who's it most similar too...

Hmm to be honest, I've never really gave it much thought on how my batting stance is similar to someone... I'll try to describe it the best I can...

Batting right: My legs are apart but to too far apart. The bat is not too high off my shoulders. I start to move the bat in a slight up-down motion. While my body moves slightly back and forth while waiting for the pitch... When I swing, Depending on where the ball was, I'll take my right hand off the bat while my left stays on it...

Batting left: Very similar to my right but a little less swaying and when I swing I usually keep both hands on the bat regardless where the ball was...

I'm going to look at MLB player's stances when I can to let you know who's it most similar too...

your righty stance sounds somewhat like a mix of gary sheffield & kevin youkilis, sans the too too far apartness of your legs....

So your stances are similar... interesting.... With me, my stances are nothin alke... lol....

- My righty stance, I'm crouched.... There are no moving parts as I'm waiting for the pitch at all; I'm stiff (lower & upper halves)... I'd get HBP's (hit by pitches) because of it.... I rely on patience and power from the right side.....

- My lefty stance, I stand upright... my upper half is stiff, my lower half, I swivel my hips.... helps with timing.... as such, I rely on reflexes moreso than power & patience.... the bat goes much quicker through the zone when I bat lefty.....

your righty stance sounds somewhat like a mix of gary sheffield & kevin youkilis, sans the too too far apartness of your legs....

So your stances are similar... interesting.... With me, my stances are nothin alke... lol....

- My righty stance, I'm crouched.... There are no moving parts as I'm waiting for the pitch at all; I'm stiff (lower & upper halves)... I'd get HBP's (hit by pitches) because of it.... I rely on patience and power from the right side.....

- My lefty stance, I stand upright... my upper half is stiff, my lower half, I swivel my hips.... helps with timing.... as such, I rely on reflexes moreso than power & patience.... the bat goes much quicker through the zone when I bat lefty.....

I was thinking about them after I replied although, I don't move the bat a much as Sheffield and I certainly don't move as much as Youkilis lol... I've always thought Youkillis's stance was rather odd... But I think you might be right about that... When I was younger, My stance was different and very stiff but I still kept the bat at same position but not moving it at all...

I swing faster and harder with my righty stance than my lefty stance... I guess it's because I learned how to bat right handed first...

I'm opposite of you it seems... While righty, I swing at any pitch that looks good to hit. While lefty, I'm much more patient for the pitch... I tend to wait much more for my favorite pitch while lefty... Got more BB (base on balls) as a lefty too...

Edited by NYCtrainfan01

I was thinking about them after I replied although, I don't move the bat a much as Sheffield and I certainly don't move as much as Youkilis lol... I've always thought Youkillis's stance was rather odd... But I think you might be right about that... When I was younger, My stance was different and very stiff but I still kept the bat at same position but not moving it at all...

I swing faster and harder with my righty stance than my lefty stance... I guess it's because I learned how to bat right handed first...

I'm opposite of you it seems... While righty, I swing at any pitch that looks good to hit. While lefty, I'm much more patient for the pitch... I tend to wait much more for my favorite pitch while lefty... Got more BB (base on balls) as a lefty too...

See, that's just it.... as a little kid playing baseball, I was never told 'bat from this side' or 'bat from that side'.... guess the way I stood at the plate from either side seemed natural..... matter fact, my fam' & friends of fam (that had kids that played along w/ me) marveled over the fact that I tried to hit the ball from both sides.... as long as I made contact with the ball, it was never a prollem.... of course, as time progressed, I ended up gettin better from either side.....

Heh, we are opposites in that regard, so it seems..... I'm more of a free swinger from the left side.....If you saw my bat move through the zone batting righty, there's a high chance contact would be made with the ball (fair or foul).... friends would always make little remarks like ______ 's (my name here) battin on the right side, he's serious now.... b/c with more than one man on base, more often than not, I'd bat righty.....

(from either side) I didn't get walked often (by way of 4 BB, I mean.... I would get HBP more than I did gettin walked by 4BB's), but to be honest, I hated getting walked.... felt like I didn't earn my way on with my bat.....

See, that's just it.... as a little kid playing baseball, I was never told 'bat from this side' or 'bat from that side'.... guess the way I stood at the plate from either side seemed natural..... matter fact, my fam' & friends of fam (that had kids that played along w/ me) marveled over the fact that I tried to hit the ball from both sides.... as long as I made contact with the ball, it was never a prollem.... of course, as time progressed, I ended up gettin better from either side.....

Heh, we are opposites in that regard, so it seems..... I'm more of a free swinger from the left side.....If you saw my bat move through the zone batting righty, there's a high chance contact would be made with the ball (fair or foul).... friends would always make little remarks like ______ 's (my name here) battin on the right side, he's serious now.... b/c with more than one man on base, more often than not, I'd bat righty.....

(from either side) I didn't get walked often (by way of 4 BB, I mean.... I would get HBP more than I did gettin walked by 4BB's), but to be honest, I hated getting walked.... felt like I didn't earn my way on with my bat.....

I learned from the right because I'm a righty by nature... I was so interested in learning to bat left that I tried it and kept practicing... Outside of baseball, I can write with my right and left... I tend to try to learn both righty and lefty...

Back in school, folks never knew I can switch hit until I did it... Batting lefty, The picther (friend of mines) Mocked me and was like, "Easy out" Man on second and on the first pitch, I crushed it to LF. Got the RBI double... I said "Easy hit"... Second at bat against him, Still batting left, I got walked... I said "Easy base"

I rarely get HBP... I just tend to move out of the way quick. I hate getting walked too because I didn't get a hit lol... But at the end of the day, I'm trying to help my team win in anyway I can. :)

I'm so happy I joined the Boy Scouts. Going to camp in the Catskills this week and the first wek of August!

Hopefully I won't miss too much...

Have fun and good luck !

I've never been in the boy scouts, mostly b/c the woods and stuff like that isn't my type of thing lol..

Have fun and good luck !

I've never been in the boy scouts, mostly b/c the woods and stuff like that isn't my type of thing lol..

I took Wilderness Survival merit badge last year.

It was cold.

Oh so cold.

I wouldn't be able to survive in the wilderness lol.. I need computer and my phone or I would be sooo bored..

We built tepees out of sticks and couldn't stay near the fire or make our own... It sucked, but I loved my instructor.

Sneakers named after Michael Jordan LOL. :P Never had a pair nor do I want too...

You've walked all that? I have feet problems so I can't walk all of that... Maybe half of that but that's it...

Yeah, I was joking around. Like I said, I'm not spending hundreds of dollars on sneakers.....

As for the walking, you just gotta take it easy. I did the walk again today (though I went straight home and so the route was something like 3.7 miles). I took the side streets as long as possible and just enjoyed the trees and everything. As VG8 would say, I passed through the "affluent" part of Port Richmond too, on the southern end of Heberton Avenue (with a median income of over $85,000, it's just as "affluent" as any part of Westerleigh). On a side note, I actually outwalked the S44 from Broadway to Heberton Avenue.

Yeah, I was joking around. Like I said, I'm not spending hundreds of dollars on sneakers.....

As for the walking, you just gotta take it easy. I did the walk again today (though I went straight home and so the route was something like 3.7 miles). I took the side streets as long as possible and just enjoyed the trees and everything. As VG8 would say, I passed through the "affluent" part of Port Richmond too, on the southern end of Heberton Avenue (with a median income of over $85,000, it's just as "affluent" as any part of Westerleigh). On a side note, I actually outwalked the S44 from Broadway to Heberton Avenue.

Oh I know you were joking... I made a captian obvious joke to add to your joke lol... :P

If I walk that far, My feet start killing me... I have a foot condition called "plantar fasciitis" I can't walk that far without feeling pain...

I must admit, I've never been to S.I.... I might have to go over there to see for myself.