Railfanning Trip on 12/23/2009

R62A 1991 lives around there, and he would probably say that area is safe, as long as you mind your own business. He has said something like that several times on this board.

Yes, I have. And I stand by what I've said. There's no real reason to leave the station for those who don't want to unless you need new batteries for your camera (please don't get food around there, go to Utica Av instead for some good food). In that case, if I'm on the trip, I'd be willing to get off and do that for anyone (I get on at the stations anyway). And, as for photo ops: Rockaway has a good view of trains coming down from Junius, Junius has the (L) under it, and New Lots is a terminal. Anyway, I'll keep on saying it, and thanks for quoting me: you'll be fine going out there as long as you don't think about something happening to you, and you mind your own business. And, if you still don't want to come: that's okay too. I like having my home line to myself to take photos, but welcome anyone who wants to come over as well.

Wow...I remember getting at least that day off when I was back in school in NY. Is it a half-day because it's the day before vacation or a full day?

I think it's a full day....but I get out at 11 anyways :P

Most people know how a R62 (3) train looks like. This isn't even the most interesting portion of the system. I can think of better itineraries.

Then do it and quit filling up the thread with your pessimism. This is Daniel's trip. If you're not going to offer constructive ideas then go plan your own trip the way you want to do it.

Most people know how a R62 (3) train looks like. This isn't even the most interesting portion of the system. I can think of better itineraries.

Most people know what an MCI cruiser looks like as well. Stop thinking up of excuses for why this section of the city is less desirable to be at than any other station.

I don't know why you are being bothered with him b/c he's full of it. I've railfanned on the (3) line before and nothing has happened to me. I took pics on the corner of Ashford Street and New Lots Avenue where police patrol that area daily and yet nothing happened!

Agreed, plus no one has to leave any of the 3 line stations... I've been to New Lots a couple of times by myself and nothing happened to me. It's just common sense to mind your [in general] surroundings.

Plus any line can have its hidden dangers, but you [in general] cannot be afraid of a certain area just from 2nd-3rd hand reportings.

I think it's a full day....but I get out at 11 anyways :P

SONS OF (G)LITCHES! :P

My school days got extended to 3:00

Take me off the attendee sheet ...unless I get out early. I'll update as the time approaches.

Dan, the itinerary is great. However, in lieu of the (3) to New Lots I suggest covering the Brighton line. It's undergoing a major rehabilitation and the construction pics would look interesting. The other portion of the trip can remain the same.

I've done the Brighton Line a bunch of times before. I'm sticking with the (3)

Archived