Why are the storm doors on 75-foot cars locked?

R10 2952

Well said. As I said, if anyone wants to experience walking between cars of a 75' train there is the SIRT. Not that I recommend it and if the cops catch you doing that, don't blame me.

i dont think the NYCT rules apply to the SIRTOA as it is not an NYCT route. Even the rules for the MNCRR/LIRR doesnt apply, even tho some rules are the same..

Besides, there r 2 stations that cant be accessed by the last few cars. Ive passed between it before and lots of other people too..

its called the whiplash effect on the 75 foot cars thats is caused by the length of the cars plus the narrow spacing between the cars equal it being easy for passengers to fall between cars while the train is in motion although on the 46s on the outside of every car there is a lever that u can pull that will unlock the storm door of the car

i dont think the NYCT rules apply to the SIRTOA as it is not an NYCT route. Even the rules for the MNCRR/LIRR doesnt apply, even tho some rules are the same..

Besides, there r 2 stations that cant be accessed by the last few cars. Ive passed between it before and lots of other people too..

Oh ok, but better safe than sorry then. Ie: cross only when instructed to.

For some reason, I've seen people inserting a card in between the door's lock to unlock the door. It freaks me out because you're not used to seeing people cross through 75' cars.

I've seen that too, though several years ago. The pan-handlers used to grab a plastic strip off the car card panel (overhead ads), and they seemed to know a trick to open the door, and then use the electric switch outside the door to open the next car. I don't see those black strips anymore on the ads, and I haven't seen this 'trick' performed either.

As for long cars, the commuter cars are even ten feet longer, and you are sometimes required to walk through them if you are in a car that doesn't platform at your destination station. The curves are not as sharp, however.

In my honest opinion, all storm doors, including 60 footers and 51 footers on the IRT should be closed and locked so that passengers would be forced to switch cars via the platform and the police wouldn't have to hand tickets for passengers switching cars via the storm doors.

That can't be done since there is now way to open the door on cars other then R44/46/68/68As with out a key. The 75' cars can have the storm doors unlocked from any cab position in the event of an emergency. Also, say that both the C/R and the T/O become incapacitated, the storm door windows can be kicked out. On 60' and 51' equipment, the doors cant be opened from the cabs, you need to have a key to open them. That is why they have to stay unlocked all the time. Also, the BMT Standards which were 67' long cars had their end doors locked at all times too. In fact, in the event of an emergency, they end doors could all be unlocked from a cab by the train crew.

As for long cars, the commuter cars are even ten feet longer, and you are sometimes required to walk through them if you are in a car that doesn't platform at your destination station. The curves are not as sharp, however.

Not only that, but when nature calls, there isn't always a bathroom in your car :P. It is still scary to walk between commuter rail cars when they're doing 80 and there's no tubing or handrails, especially on curves and switches. :eek:

That can't be done since there is now way to open the door on cars other then R44/46/68/68As with out a key. The 75' cars can have the storm doors unlocked from any cab position in the event of an emergency. Also, say that both the C/R and the T/O become incapacitated, the storm door windows can be kicked out. On 60' and 51' equipment, the doors cant be opened from the cabs, you need to have a key to open them. That is why they have to stay unlocked all the time. Also, the BMT Standards which were 67' long cars had their end doors locked at all times too. In fact, in the event of an emergency, they end doors could all be unlocked from a cab by the train crew.

I believe the Standard's end doors could also be unlocked in an emergency by a valve located under the seat nearest the door. The R-40 slants also had their end doors locked at the slant ends shortly after they were delivered until their "gear" was installed.

Not only that, but when nature calls, there isn't always a bathroom in your car :P. It is still scary to walk between commuter rail cars when they're doing 80 and there's no tubing or handrails, especially on curves and switches. :eek:

I personally don't walk between cars at the cab ends on commuter rail equipment unless the train is either stopped or going reasonably slow on a straightaway. I wouldn't want to get stuck out there while it's going 80 in the event of a door jamming or something else.

I believe the Standard's end doors could also be unlocked in an emergency by a valve located under the seat nearest the door. The R-40 slants also had their end doors locked at the slant ends shortly after they were delivered until their "gear" was installed.

Yea, something like that. I can ask Jeff next time I'm up at BERA.

Unless the rebuilt all the curves that 75' cars pass through, it still won't help. Doing that is 100% out of the question. The problem is, there is too much over hang between trucks on 2 cars coupled together. Also, these trains don't pass through curves even close to some of the curves in the subway. The 75' cars will be around for another 20-25 years, it's not worth spending the money.

That reminds me...I've got to pull together as much of the info on the A/B's as I can. I went through some over the weekend and I might have gotten the measurements for the glass, just have to check it against the real thing and make sure it was accurate. Getting that end door shut before the worst of the winter would be nice, although it's highly unlikely that gets done before the next winter.

I've seen that too, though several years ago. The pan-handlers used to grab a plastic strip off the car card panel (overhead ads), and they seemed to know a trick to open the door, and then use the electric switch outside the door to open the next car. I don't see those black strips anymore on the ads, and I haven't seen this 'trick' performed either.

True.The commuter cars are 85` and have articulated sections between the cars,as well as there isn`t too much overhang not just because lack of sharp turns,also they are built with tilt technology for banking(sharp turns with a heavy lean on the cars)

True.The commuter cars are 85` and have articulated sections between the cars,as well as there isn`t too much overhang not just because lack of sharp turns,also they are built with tilt technology for banking(sharp turns with a heavy lean on the cars)

Only the Acela has the Tilt in the U.S.

With the event that happened in this past week with the fatal stabbing on the (D) train, I can't wait for the B Division to be 60' cars again. Making the cars 75' was, in my opinion, a BIG mistake.

Well you can't really blame the mindset about 8-car trains vs 10-car trains and saving on having to repair two extra cars' trucks. But hopefully from now on they only buy 60' car trains from now on.

Well you can't really blame the mindset about 8-car trains vs 10-car trains and saving on having to repair two extra cars' trucks. But hopefully from now on they only buy 60' car trains from now on.

I believe that's been the plan for a decade now, since 75 foot cars can't safely run through all the B division tunnels (or so I've heard).

What about the Talgo's in Seattle? Oh, and the LRC's years ago?

LRC's were VIA rails fleet. thats canada. Although i did forget about the Talgo. But other than that, no other U.S. trains have tilt. tilts are for high speed trains. St. Louis Car was referring to commuter cars. Talgo and Acela arent the same commuter trains. when one sees a commmuter train tilt, its not built with the tech, they look like they tilt due to the track's superelevation on curves.

Archived