Why are the storm doors on 75-foot cars locked?

R10 2952

This may sound like a redundant/foolish question, but I wonder about it because I can remember that a couple of years back, this was not the case. Doors were not locked on all R-44s and R-46s back then, and as for R-68/As, I'm not too sure, but I may have seen someone people walking between cars on R-68s and R-68As before. The black signs saying "This Door Is Locked" only showed up in 2007/8. If they lock the storm doors on 75-foot cars, then why don't they do so with all other cars, the SMEES notwithstanding?

You should look out the storm window when the train is going through a curve. Let me know if you still think the doors should be open. ;)

I never said that they should be open; I said that at one point, they had been open, becaues I can very clearly remember people crossing cars on 75-foot trains 3/4 (or more) years back.

I could see if they were designed with spring loaded footplates, diaphragm, and hand bars being able to cross between, but since it's totally open & exposed, keep them locked.

- A

Again, I never said that they should be open.

They were always locked here in NYCT, because I remember when they first came out, you couldn't pass through. Later on, it seemed the 44 doors were always open, but I belive that was because pre-GOH, there was some little plate inside the car that people found they could remove uncovering a switch to open it.

Otherwise, you can always sometimes find an unlocked door on all four classes. But they're not supposed to be, and the blue light is supposed to indicate an unlocked door, but sometimes it doesn't.

In my honest opinion, all storm doors, including 60 footers and 51 footers on the IRT should be closed and locked so that passengers would be forced to switch cars via the platform and the police wouldn't have to hand tickets for passengers switching cars via the storm doors. I like the 75 foot car storm doors being locked, it should be done to all types of cars.

In my honest opinion, all storm doors, including 60 footers and 51 footers on the IRT should be closed and locked so that passengers would be forced to switch cars via the platform and the police wouldn't have to hand tickets for passengers switching cars via the storm doors. I like the 75 foot car storm doors being locked, it should be done to all types of cars.

Remember, the smaller cars offer less space inside, so having them unlocked means easier egress in an emergency. Also, transferring cars via platform is a great way to be left there as the train leaves, the train crew correctly assumes people who get off no longer wish to be on the train, in their case not that section of the train, but still. On PATH, i switch cars when the train is stopped if i need to move away from oddly acting persons etc. I don't see a huge problem with doing it in station, but while moving, no thanks. Maybe have a mechanism that locks them from being opened from inside the car when moving, even associate it w/ the doors opening and closing at a station, once the side doors close, the end doors lock. I dunno, i've gone between cars a lot, it really isn't safe for the general riding public. I know how to handle the G-forces trains put on my body, and the air rushing by etc doesn't bother me at all, but that's just me. Laws/rules governing crossing between cars are "blankets" to cover liability while discouraging the act itself, however i follow them just the same 99% of the time. I won't pass between IRT cars unless the HVAC is broken, and i won't pass between any other cars aside from the R40/R42 which is now retired.

- A

Remember, the smaller cars offer less space inside, so having them unlocked means easier egress in an emergency. Also, transferring cars via platform is a great way to be left there as the train leaves, the train crew correctly assumes people who get off no longer wish to be on the train, in their case not that section of the train, but still ... I won't pass between IRT cars unless the HVAC is broken, and i won't pass between any other cars aside from the R40/R42 which is now retired.

- A

You do bring in some valid points right there. I agree with them. I once tried to switch cars on the (D) (a train with R68 cars) and the conductor close the doors before I was able to reach the other car.

Like what you said, the end doors should be opened only in emergencies.

This may sound like a redundant/foolish question, but I wonder about it because I can remember that a couple of years back, this was not the case. Doors were not locked on all R-44s and R-46s back then, and as for R-68/As, I'm not too sure, but I may have seen someone people walking between cars on R-68s and R-68As before. The black signs saying "This Door Is Locked" only showed up in 2007/8. If they lock the storm doors on 75-foot cars, then why don't they do so with all other cars, the SMEES notwithstanding?

This is why :P

75foot.jpg

You should look out the storm window when the train is going through a curve. Let me know if you still think the doors should be open. :P

Ya try south of 36th st on the West end, a curve of the (D) is so not safe...

Anyways... the SIRs R44s are opened of course, they experience less curves compared to the T/As..

The SIR also has a few stations with platforms that will only handle 1 or 2 cars on the full train, so being able to walk back or forward is necessary.

I think the stations are like that for the Express trains, since the station is curved

It looks to be that Atlantic (only one car opens) and Nassau stations will be replaced by a Arthur Kill Road station, Richmond Valley can only platform 3 cars due to a short platform, and Clifton can only accommodate 3 cars platforming in the to-St. George direction due the curve, the other side platforms all cars.

I could see if they were designed with spring loaded footplates, diaphragm, and hand bars being able to cross between, but since it's totally open & exposed, keep them locked.

- A

They should do what commuter rails do and put tube things around the edge of the doors that way people can cross through IN CASE OF AN EMERGANCY safely.

even if they added the tubed diapham, its still a hazard. the gap between the anticlimbers are the same on all cars. its when going on a curve or thru switches where the danger lies. the cars dont line up. if you watch the storm doors when going thru a switch, youll see the door to the other car basically "dissapear". the cars become staggerd. they dont line up. this is because of the overhang (distance from the center of the truck to the end of the car) is greater than the shorter cars. a diaphram would not increase saftey. the only things that would make it safer are high speed switches and a larger turning radius. and before anyone asks, no, the MTA will never adjust those.

Julio said it best "You should look out the storm window when the train is going through a curve. Let me know if you still think the doors should be open."

Archived