What bus routes do you think needs artics?

Kingsbridge Bus

Usually routes that receive articulated buses have the headways increased. That basically means less frequent service, the (MTA) sees the artic as a money saver, and adds them to lines only to reduce operating costs.

Bigger buses = less buses needed for the route.

Less buses needed = less trips needed.

Less trips = less runs needed.

Less runs = less hourly wages paid.:cry:

There are rumors that artics are coming to Queens North, but nothing has been confirmed. I could see them on the Q31 and Q76, and maybe the Q12. I have mixed feelings about artics on the Q44/20:o

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
as a fomer NYC resident until couple of years ago, here the bus routes that not has them yet IMO should have artics.

bronx

BX3 and BX6.

brooklyn

B6, B41, B44, B46, B82

queens

Q5, Q11/53, Q20/44, Q60 Q66 and Q111/113.

None needed on Staten Island.

I disagree. Staten Island Routes like the S46, S48, S62, S74, S78 and S79 could use some artics especially during rush hours.

as a fomer NYC resident until couple of years ago, here the bus routes that not has them yet IMO should have artics.

bronx

BX3 and BX6.

brooklyn

B6, B41, B44, B46, B82

queens

Q5, Q11/53, Q20/44, Q60 Q66 and Q111/113.

None needed on Staten Island.

Q113 had Artics back in 2007!

I disagree. Staten Island Routes like the S46, S48, S62, S74, S78 and S79 could use some artics especially during rush hours.

Don't forget the S53, S59 and some of the Staten Island Mall Routes that get jam packed during busy shopping days & rush hours.

my friend S78, staten Island has the worst headways of any boro/region in NYC. Before artics are needed more headways ie increased to every 6-8 minutes on the boro's busiest lines even on weekends ie S48, S53, S61/62, S78 and S79 is what needed first before we discuss artics. staten Island on many of their routes has headways similar to the Suburus ie NJT(NJT)buses and LI Bus. (MTA)nyc Transit should understand that not everyone is connecting with the SI Ferry going to Manhattan. headways on all of the SI lines after 8pm weekends/holidays is every 20-30 minutes is terrible. again the S-44, S-48, S53, S61/62, S-74, S78 and S79 should have 10 minute or less headways until 9pm Monday-Saturday and every 15 minutes or less until 11pm daily. if increased headways dont work then we can talk about artics for a few SI bus lines.

no offense S78, but other than the Hylan, Forest Ave and Victory Blvd coordiors, none of the SI buses even close to ridership compared to the '4' other boros and even Westchester County's #20 Bronx-Yonkers-White Plains and LI Bus N6 Jamaica-Hempstead systemwide.

Just because the headways are long on SI routes doesn't mean they don't get lots of riders. I should have specified that they should run during rush hours. You should really see thses routes during rush hours.

I agree, there are routes that have crush loads in minutes. Headways dont really mean much when you have buses with loads and loads of people and they suddenly break down or bottom out, thats when Articulated buses are needed. There are a good few S.I routes that can use them like the ones we stated above.

• 4 weeks later...
5300 apeared on the Bx3 today. Finally, an artic on the Bx3 which does not appear very often

Next time get a pic lol..

Of course i see some Bx36 on Artics borrowed from its sister the Bx19..

I see SOME Orion VII NGs on the Bx9 too

For the record-- artics make turns easier than a 40 foot bus.

I agree with you.:cool:

Alot of you seem to think this. Take it from someone who drove them ( at Kingbridge, all routes, with 1 pick on the Bx1/2, and 1pick on the Bx41. West Farms, 3 picks on the Bx19). Under some circumstances, yes they do. Under others they don't. Do not think that that accordion is the turning point (they call it pivot point in buses), on these type of artics (Pushers). It isn't. The rear door is, which is the same as the, pivot point on 40fters, which is the rear wheel, which on the cruisers is the space between the drive wheels, and the tag wheels, when the tag wheel is locked, if unlocked the drive wheels are. Ladies and gents, remember this from someone who had driven buses and coaches, from cheese, to charter, to transit............

The only artic that has a better turning radius than a 40fter, is no longer found in the NY, NJ, area. Those were the MAN of Bee-Line, and the Volvos of NJT, cause the back wheel turned slightly in the opposite direction of which the driver was turning. Those buses are the buses, which if you clear the accordion, you clear the rear. If MTA were to go with Van-Hool, since they are the same type of buses as the old MAN's, and Volvo's (Pullers), then they can use those buses on just about all routes. Now with those NovaBus artic, the wheel base is different than with the New Flyers. It is 244inches from front to mid axle. That is the same length as the 40ft NovaBus wheelbase from front to back. That means the front is around40ft, and the rear is around 20ft-22ft, since the front has the same wheelbase as the 40ft type. I really think this pusher type, due to it's wheel base, can work on any route that a puller can. I think it turns far better than the New Flyer puller type. They should try to test this bus on as many routes as possible to see for themselves, then make a decision on where they should put them. IMO, Kingsbridge should be 99.5% artic, with about 3 40fters for the Bx18 (just in case 1 is OOS)............

The Bx36at West Farms needs 60fters badly, and suppose to be a 60ft line. That line is not suppose to be a 40ft line. I asked when I was there for a year. They tested them, but the residents of the Heights didn't want them there.............

Idk if there is enough D60s to run on the Bx36. They have all of em mainly on the Bx19 with 1 or 2 Orion V/VII CNGs running. The 36 has like 1 or 2 running on the route..

I think a new order for em is needed for WF.. Bx36LTD gets jammed packed compared to the Bx36 Loca.l Maybe the NovaBUS LFS which the Bx12/M15 can also be added on the Bx19/36?

And why doesnt the people form the Hts want them. I dont get it? The sharpe turns it makes?

The Bx36at West Farms needs 60fters badly, and suppose to be a 60ft line. That line is not suppose to be a 40ft line. I asked when I was there for a year. They tested them, but the residents of the Heights didn't want them there.............

Idk if there is enough D60s to run on the Bx36. They have all of em mainly on the Bx19 with 1 or 2 Orion V/VII CNGs running. The 36 has like 1 or 2 running on the route..

I think a new order for em is needed for WF.. Bx36LTD gets jammed packed compared to the Bx36 Loca.l Maybe the NovaBUS LFS which the Bx12/M15 can also be added on the Bx19/36?

And why doesnt the people form the Hts want them. I dont get it? The sharpe turns it makes?

I don't get it. I live in the Heights & I hear people complaining about overcrouded Bx3 & Bx36

That is why the Bx36 has 40fters. If the uproar about the artics being in the Heights didn't happen, West Farms would have gotten lots more artics for use on that route.......

I don't get it. I live in the Heights & I hear people complaining about overcrouded Bx3 & Bx36

Yes you will hear about those who live in the area complaining about the overcrowding, but those are usually the same ones, who killed the solution to the problem...........

If you wait for a bus during the weekdays at 7:30AM on the Heights, you may see a croud of people surrounding the bus stop & bus pole as 3 buses leave. The Bx3 & Bx36 serve lots of more neighborhoods than the Heights that want the artics so (MTA) shouldn't listen to anybody in the Heights unless if it's me or someone who wants the solution.:mad:

If you wait for a bus during the weekdays at 7:30AM on the Heights, you may see a croud of people surrounding the bus stop & bus pole as 3 buses leave. The Bx3 & Bx36 serve lots of more neighborhoods than the Heights that want the artics so (MTA) shouldn't listen to anybody in the Heights unless if it's me or someone who wants the solution.:mad:

I know. One day the GWB was backed up. 3 Bx36 buses (me 1 of them), got there late. Two went around the usual way, I was told by the dispatcher to make a right on B'way, then 181st. I got to that stop at St. Nicholas, my bus got crush loaded. The other two, got crush loaded at the 1st, 2nd and 3rd stop. We all left a cluster-fu#k, of people at Amsterdam Ave. It was so bad, cars couldn't get into the gas station.........

I know. One day the GWB was backed up. 3 Bx36 buses (me 1 of them), got there late. Two went around the usual way, I was told by the dispatcher to make a right on B'way, then 181st. I got to that stop at St. Nicholas, my bus got crush loaded. The other two, got crush loaded at the 1st, 2nd and 3rd stop. We all left a cluster-fu#k, of people at Amsterdam Ave. It was so bad, cars couldn't get into the gas station.........

You should see how worst it has gotten there:mad:.Hey, at least the gas station is closed untill further notice;) lol

The thing here is that all routes are different. Some routes are longer than others, some are more frequent than others and some run for more hours than others. You cannot use the routes rank in ridership to determine whether it should use articualted buses. Routes like B41 have high ridership but B41 is a long route with high frequency and limited service. Most riders do not take long routes for most of the length so in reality you have lots of people paying a fare for that bus but you do not have huge numbers on the bus at one time. Artics are needed for really crowded routes like Bx12, Bx19, M101 etc and those routes have them already.

My Youtube videos can be found here.

http://www.youtube.com/user/JW72093

5300 apeared on the Bx3 today. Finally, an artic on the Bx3 which does not appear very often

After the M100, the Bx3 is the 40 foot route thats most likely to see Artics out of KB. I've seen up to 5 in service at one time. My only complaint about Artics on the 3 is that theres barely any layover room for the Bx3 @GWB with 40 footers (half the time buses end up in the Bx7/M100 stop) and those buses cant manuever the 181 St traffic (watching them make that right at Sedgwick isnt pretty either but its managable). Either they need to remove parking M-Sat 7am-8pm on 181 or reroute the lesser used of the 5 (Bx13 and/or Bx35) to 178/179.

This is just my personal opinion, but i think every bus route should be a trolly bus 3+ door articulated, using dual mode trolly bus, with small diesel engine for power outages and connecting routes efficiently.

The%2Bdouble-articulated%2BMercedes-Benz%2BO%2B305%2BGG%2Btrolley%2Bbus%2B(1981)%2Bremained%2Ba%2Bone-off%2Bunit%2Bfor%2Btest%2Bpurposes.jpg

TL_2007_NFI_E60LF_2533.jpg

phenjan243.jpg

The ideal in my opinion:

070816_vbzdatrolloff.jpg

I know not everyone will agree, just my take on articulated busses/routes. :P

- A

(1)That would cost alot of money

(2)It would add congestion (especially in Manhattan)

and (3) If a bus had to be rerouted or had to go somewhere beyond the overhead wires there would be a problem (also time consuming)

But this would be a good idea for a less congested city

After the M100, the Bx3 is the 40 foot route thats most likely to see Artics out of KB. I've seen up to 5 in service at one time. My only complaint about Artics on the 3 is that theres barely any layover room for the Bx3 @GWB with 40 footers (half the time buses end up in the Bx7/M100 stop) and those buses cant manuever the 181 St traffic (watching them make that right at Sedgwick isnt pretty either but its managable). Either they need to remove parking M-Sat 7am-8pm on 181 or reroute the lesser used of the 5 (Bx13 and/or Bx35) to 178/179.

You might disagree with me here, but as for buses running down 178 or 179st, I say the Bx3 and Bx36 should run down that road, so they can avoid 181st Bronx bound. I had sent in Employee suggestions for making 181st and even 125st, buses only for the rush hours. They say it isn't feasible. You are right about the layover on B'way, when an artic on the Bx3, is in that stop. Hell when two 40fters are there, it's bad, so with one 60fter, and one 40fter, forget it...........

I still would like the Bx3 to go artic, along with the Bx36. West Farms can have an upper level built to house more 60ft buses. Heck then they can split the Q44 and have artics run from there on that route also. Plenty of airspace on both sides of that depot where the buses park.........

Archived