What bus routes do you think needs artics?

Kingsbridge Bus

Any more opinions:o

eel free to give your opinion. If you have already given your opinion, you can add to that;). As of now, the Bx18 is starting to get more popular & may be on the list even though it will be a challenge for B/o's to twist around Undercliff Ave, especialy with the double parking. It was worst when it was a two way street. So, where will the extra articulated buses be going? (MTA) is going to have extra buses unless if the 1997 is being retired early which I doubt

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree about WF but don't you think WF has enough buses & routes to take care of. I wouldn't mind (MTA) replacing some 07CNG's to Gleason for more artics. (MTA) is also too poor to build a second level

KB had their own and West Farm route to run, when that old Coliseum Depot burnt down. West Farms and Casey Stengel can handle the route. MTA ain't to broke to build a second level. Don't believe the hype MTA gives. If they were so broke, they would stop promoting people to Superintendents, and managers, basically making positions that ain't needed now...........

eel free to give your opinion. If you have already given your opinion, you can add to that;). As of now, the Bx18 is starting to get more popular & may be on the list even though it will be a challenge for B/o's to twist around Undercliff Ave, especialy with the double parking. It was worst when it was a two way street. So, where will the extra articulated buses be going? (MTA) is going to have extra buses unless if the 1997 is being retired early which I doubt

i rode a artic on the 18 1 time and that was the 1 and only time i saw one on the 18 and it was an epic fail. caught hell on undercliff the the double park cars twice, and the drive misjudged that sharp turn on sedgwick and had the reverse. i asked him whats up with the artic on the 18 and he said thats all that was left for him to take and after he finished his run on the 18 hes using the same bus for the 9. hmmm. ok. but yeah. artics wont rock on the 18!

Manhattan can't say except for the M104.

Bx can't say.

Bk,all the downtown bk routes and the b8 and b36

Queens,Q4->Q6 Q8?,Q10,30/31,Q20A&B/44,Q60,Q83->Q85,Q110,Q111,Q113 and Q112 Rush hrs only. Imo.

Si I can't say for.

• 3 weeks later...
I disagree. Staten Island Routes like the S46, S48, S62, S74, S78 and S79 could use some artics especially during rush hours.

The problem is that some of these routes get crowded at certain points, and then a lot of people leave at a certain stop. Off the top of my head, the S46/S96 get crowded before Port Richmond High School, but since there are a lot of students, half of them leave at Port Richmond High School, leaving a comfortable Standing-Room-Only bus as opposed to a crushloaded bus.

Also, for some reason, there are some days where the buses are crushloaded and some days where it is just Standing-Room-Only, and on those days there is no need for an artic. The crowding varies, so the need for artics also varies.

In the end it might be cheaper to run an artic for the whole route to accomodate the crowds on one section rather than pay an operator for a short turn.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bring up old topic, with new traffic pattern at 5th Av-23rd St, I was wondering if articulated bus can handle M2, M3, M5 through the 5th Av from 26th to 23rd Sts?

To me:

1. M42- During evening rush hour- especially evening rush hour after June 27th. M104 riders will crowd up the bus.

2. M34.

I forgot to ask one more.

Can Articulated Bus could be perform on Long Island Bus?

I know I cannot handle any routes that goes into HTC, Jamaica Bus Terminal.

Can it can be handle on:

N15 Roosevelt Field Mall- Long Beach

N19 Freeport-Babylon

N20 Flushing-Hicksville

N79 Mineola-Walt Whitman Mall

When I send email to Long Island Bus, they told me articulated bus is unsafe for suburban. Is that true?

The problem is that some of these routes get crowded at certain points, and then a lot of people leave at a certain stop. Off the top of my head, the S46/S96 get crowded before Port Richmond High School, but since there are a lot of students, half of them leave at Port Richmond High School, leaving a comfortable Standing-Room-Only bus as opposed to a crushloaded bus.

Also, for some reason, there are some days where the buses are crushloaded and some days where it is just Standing-Room-Only, and on those days there is no need for an artic. The crowding varies, so the need for artics also varies.

In the end it might be cheaper to run an artic for the whole route to accomodate the crowds on one section rather than pay an operator for a short turn.

That is true, but routes like the S53 and S79 are sometimes crowded the whole route. Sometimes, when I see the S79 going to Bay Ridge, it gets crowded before it even gets to the Eltingville Transit Center.

That is true, but routes like the S53 and S79 are sometimes crowded the whole route. Sometimes, when I see the S79 going to Bay Ridge, it gets crowded before it even gets to the Eltingville Transit Center.

Correct; I would know this because on Wednesdays I take the S79 leaving the mall around 4:30 and the seats are taken by the time we reach the Transit Center, and more people get on as well making the bus SRO for the most part.

That's what I was trying to say. The crowding is only in certain sections but I think it would be cheaper to run an artic for the full route than to run extra buses in the crowded sections. (I can't say anything about other schools on the route, like I.S.61, but I'm sure there are similar issues with crowding in the stops near that school.)

That's what I was trying to say. The crowding is only in certain sections but I think it would be cheaper to run an artic for the full route than to run extra buses in the crowded sections. (I can't say anything about other schools on the route, like I.S.61, but I'm sure there are similar issues with crowding in the stops near that school.)

There was since I used to go there.

I must say, B46 really needs articulated buses now because it is now the busiest route in terms of ridership in 2009 for MTA New York City Transit Bus.

Source:http://www.mta.info/nyct/facts/ffbus.htm

Also, B46 is the potential route for Phase II BRT for "Underserved Area". NYCDOT should highly select this route for Phase II BRT, really.

Sorry to bring up old topic, with new traffic pattern at 5th Av-23rd St, I was wondering if articulated bus can handle M2, M3, M5 through the 5th Av from 26th to 23rd Sts?

To me:

1. M42- During evening rush hour- especially evening rush hour after June 27th. M104 riders will crowd up the bus.

2. M34.

I do have to agree that certain crosstown routes that don't have artics should get artics.

the m4 and m5 don't need artics.busy at times but the line is very long and is only busy on madison and broadway northbound to the cloisters.I busier during the day in the summer and night its not that busy.the m5 is heaviest at the first stop under the gw bridge southbound and along bway when I gets to riverside you its very quiet.

Archived