TWU administrators refuse to give grieving family of dead worker a customary bible

Harry

Callous union administrators refused to give a dead track worker's grieving family a customary Bible because he fell behind on his dues before dying, colleagues charged Monday.

The refusal shocked co-workers of Jose Rodriguez - and added to the pain of family members already shaken by his sudden death.

"It's just not right," said one Rodriguez's three daughters, Amy. "My dad was an honest, loyal, caring person. He had a great heart."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/12/01/2009-12-01_twu_cruel_diss_had_biblical_proportions.html#ixzz0YRdvDzWR

post-1-133288581192_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288581192_thumb.jpg

And this is only in the news because it's a chance to take a swipe at a union and lead to the further encouragement of subverting people and Indentured servitude as an "employee at will" on salary who's not entitled to time and a half OT.

Yes, this is BS, and the union shouldn't do it. Our biased and craptastic news however is all too happy to jump all over the union for it

It's just not right that he felt that his union wasn't worth supporting either.

Maybe he didnt want to be in it in the first place.

And this is only in the news because it's a chance to take a swipe at a union and lead to the further encouragement of subverting people and Indentured servitude as an "employee at will" on salary who's not entitled to time and a half OT.

They would have done the same thing if it was the MTA management doing it.

Maybe he didnt want to be in it in the first place..

Then he should have gotten another job then and work for no benifits and be at the bosses whim hows that?

They would have done the same thing if it was the MTA management doing it.

No they wouldnt...

Then he should have gotten another job then and work for no benifits and be at the bosses whim hows that?

then why should he just leave his job if he decided that after being in the union it wasnt for him. Either way we dont even know what the reason he didnt pay his dues was

Maybe he didnt want to be in it in the first place.

Myself and many others like me didn't want to strike but we did out of solidarity for the union. I paid my dues because it was the right thing to do. If everyone decided not to pay their dues it would have bankrupted the union. Then there would be no union(No union=Low pay , no protection against T.A. , work rule changes , loss of benefits, lesser pension...etc) Many people didn't pay their dues and they were wrong for not doing so. I work side by side with guys that owe over $600 in dues and are never going to pay them. There are no repercussions for them. They're $600 richer than me. I guess me and the other 60% of the workforce that paid their dues were suckers for doing the right thing. If I didn't pay my dues I wouldn't expect anything from the union.

I agree. If the Bible is that important to them they should pay his back union dues.
It is just disgusting reading some of the post on here some people are just as callous as the Union if the Bible is Customary give it to the family im sure god has forgiven the guy for not paying his Debt to the union after reading the story and learning he committed suicide makes it even worse he could have reached out to the Office of The Chaplin that we have for Guidance and prayer

Myself and many others like me didn't want to strike but we did out of solidarity for the union. I paid my dues because it was the right thing to do. If everyone decided not to pay their dues it would have bankrupted the union. Then there would be no union(No union=Low pay , no protection against T.A. , work rule changes , loss of benefits, lesser pension...etc) Many people didn't pay their dues and they were wrong for not doing so. I work side by side with guys that owe over $600 in dues and are never going to pay them. There are no repercussions for them. They're $600 richer than me. I guess me and the other 60% of the workforce that paid their dues were suckers for doing the right thing. If I didn't pay my dues I wouldn't expect anything from the union.
The no Union part is not exactly true im sure there would have been another Union willing to Unionize the work force another Local within TWU, ATU,Teamsters and a host of others im sure

It is just disgusting reading some of the post on here some people are just as callous as the Union if the Bible is Customary give it to the family im sure god has forgiven the guy for not paying his Debt to the union after reading the story and learning he committed suicide makes it even worse he could have reached out to the Office of The Chaplin that we have for Guidance and prayer

I don't think God cares about his union debt. Now the fact that he killed himself and left his family without a provider is another story. Hate to be so "callous", but to me killing yourself is a selfish act and destroys many other lives besides your own. I feel sorry for his mentally disabled children and wife who lost a father and a husband for seemingly no good reason.

The no Union part is not exactly true im sure there would have been another Union willing to Unionize the work force another Local within TWU, ATU,Teamsters and a host of others im sure

How do you know another union would step up and takeover? Even if another union eventually came in there would be irreversible damage in the interim(IMO). Pay your dues . It's that simple.

I don't think God cares about his union debt. Now the fact that he killed himself and left his family without a provider is another story. Hate to be so "callous", but to me killing yourself is a selfish act and destroys many other lives besides your own. I feel sorry for his mentally disabled children who lost their father for seemingly no good reason.
There are many unanswered Questions as to why he did it i didn't know the guy and yes it was selfish of him to go out like that but i guess when enough is enough thats the road you take

How do you know another union would step up and takeover? Even if another union eventually came in there would be irreversible damage in the interim(IMO). Pay your dues . It's that simple.
No your right i don't know that and it is just my Opinion which i am entitled to with all due respect i pay my dues so say no more

end of dicussion

then why should he just leave his job if he decided that after being in the union it wasnt for him. Either way we dont even know what the reason he didnt pay his dues was

Look I'm not going to get into it with you over this issue, I've debated this at length with you before but all I will say is this...your posts on this subject demonstrate a clear ignorance of US labor history and *why* the unions exist as well as what protections they afford their employees against employer abuses (such as the "whim" of employers that RTOman referred to). I've been on both sides of the fence and it is readily apparent that the union jobs are better jobs because you have things you don't have at non-union jobs.

Unions are not perfect and they have their flaws but it is much better than the alternative. Do you think the finance industry works over 55 hours a week every single week because they love their jobs so much? (note: most don't) Because the stock market is open over 50 hours a week? (note: it isn't) Because they get paid overtime wages for every hour worked over 40? (note: they don't)

Do you think if they had a union negotiated contract mandating they receive compensation for their overtime that their employers would still insist they burn the midnight oil after coming in at 9am? Do you think if their union negotiated contract stated clearly what their responsibilities were that their bosses would send them to do coffee runs for them when they had other work to do knowing full well that a pattern of this behavior could lead to a union filed grievance on the employee's behalf? (the old "I signed on to be a ____ not an errand boy" entry level employee-at-will dilemma)

Like I said I've seen both sides and the union protected side is better. Time off is a very valuable thing in this world and employers who are not required to go above and beyond to you financially or otherwise for asking you to work more do not show any respect for the employee's personal time.

Things may seem a certain way to you now but get out there try different jobs and see what it's like and you will learn. The union guys may not be the "brightest bulbs" or speak perfect English with perfect diction like some of the non-union types will try to, but many of them are some of the friendliest people I've met, and if you're in the union too "you're cool" just for that. Unions have their power politics and BS too but at the end of the day the protections they create for the workers are worth it, because it's not the alternative. When you understand that, you'll understand what some are saying in this thread.

Archived