An RTS Question

R10 2952

I was wondering: do all currently-running RTS buses have the same or similar engines? Because earlier today, I happened to see a RTS on the B38 route on the corner of DeKalb Avenue and Ashland Place, and its engine sounded different from the rest of the RTS buses, at least to me. Compared to the standard RTS engine, it had a lower pitch, and was not as loud. It sounded more like the engine of an old school bus, a dump truck, or a garbage truck than like the standard engine of an RTS. I can't remember the exact number, but it was of the 91xx series. Can anyone explain? Perhaps this is a different engine than the rest? Or maybe something was wrong with the engine, and caused it to sound different?:confused:

I was wondering: do all currently-running RTS buses have the same or similar engines? Because earlier today, I happened to see a RTS on the B38 route on the corner of DeKalb Avenue and Ashland Place, and its engine sounded different from the rest of the RTS buses, at least to me. Compared to the standard RTS engine, it had a lower pitch, and was not as loud. It sounded more like the engine of an old school bus, a dump truck, or a garbage truck than like the standard engine of an RTS. I can't remember the exact number, but it was of the 91xx series. Can anyone explain? Perhaps this is a different engine than the rest? Or maybe something was wrong with the engine, and caused it to sound different?:confused:

That NovaBus RTS you're reffering to has a Cummins M-11E CELECT engine (#9140, 9143-9144, 9146-9149). The rest of the NovaBus RTS's have Detroit Diesel Series 50 DDEC!

The 1996 RTS order that contains buses 9140, 9142-9149 have Cummings engines instead of the Detroit engines that we are usually the norm around the city.

That NovaBus RTS you're reffering to has a Cummins M-11E CELECT engine (#9140, 9143-9144, 9146-9149). The rest of the NovaBus RTS's have Detroit Diesel Series 50 DDEC!

Thanks for the info. But how exactly is the Cummings engine different from the standard engine?:confused:

Thanks for the info. But how exactly is the Cummings engine different from the standard engine?:confused:

The Cummins M11E on those RTSs were not EPA approved. There are significant differences with Cummins engines & Detroit Diesel engines as in how clean one can be, sound, and other aspects

Let me explain! Through video!

These buses are out of the Fresh Pond Depot, those Cummins M11Es are standard diesel-powered engines of course, these just wound up that way!

9140, 9143, 9144, 9146, 9147, 9148 and 9149 all have these engines. 9141 was repowered to a Detroit Diesel Series 50 like the rest and 9142 and 9145 wound up recently scrapped. They do however, utilize the very same Allison V-731 transmissions.

These buses are out of the Fresh Pond Depot, those Cummins M11Es are standard diesel-powered engines of course, these just wound up that way!

9140, 9143, 9144, 9146, 9147, 9148 and 9149 all have these engines. 9141 was repowered to a Detroit Diesel Series 50 like the rest and 9142 and 9145 wound up recently scrapped. They do however, utilize the very same Allison V-731 transmissions.

Thanks. Now I can see the difference.

How did those two units get scrapped?

Archived