Nights vs Days as a T/O

Andrew

What is the biggest difference between nights and days? What is the Nighttime differential? How are the routes,how often is their supervision?

Once I offically become a T/O,I would prefer to work nights.I would think that it is a little easier,especially during probation.

I wil listen to any advic I get.Thank You.

I have worked all 3 tours so let me see if I can answer your Question. Midnights your first half of your day your dealing with Track gangs so its very important that you get your sleep and be alert also Track work may reroute you at times. The Supervision is less during overnights but you don't excape them because your last half of the day is AM Rush Hour when all the big supervisors and managers come out to play. Most crews on Midnight start between 12:00 and 2 Am. Also in the Yards you work since during that time you putting bad cars on the Barn for inspection and making up trains for service with the good cars.

AM Tour well you get everything you may deal with Both AM and PM Rush Hours. Most AM crews start between 5AM - 7AM and most likely get there trains from the Yard. Basicly you operate on top of each other until after Rush Hour when you got more space to move. During Middays you get some work gangs but not like Mids. Ofcause Supervison is all over the place and ridership is at it peak on the AM Tour.

PM Tour Mostly start Between 2PM and 5PM If your early PM you get school Kids and the PM Rush but if your late PM just the PM Rush for a few Hours. After 8 PM it gets quite unless its the weekend or friday night but then you pick up those going to the clubs and bars. Most T/O's end their tour in the Yard.

Don't work nights out of fear, work them because you want to work them. I highly advise that you try to pick the tour that you would feel most comfortable on; I loved PM's at the time, worked PM's as a brand new T/O (and C/R) and had no problems.

If you're not a night person, midnights will kick your ass from here to Mexico. For a T/O, it's the hardest tour to work because you have to worry about numerous track gangs and you'll be fighting your body from falling asleep. But some guys absolutely adore nights. You have to decide.

Night diff is $1.49 per hour.

i worked midnights for 3 years on the road and now work nights in flagging. it is the most stress free tour for me and i like to sleep all day. but it depends on your body. also as you get older its harder on the body to work nights.

PM's is for me get to sleep late and since i work on the (J) line i doNT run into too much traffic going to work.

Still I can do AM's but it will take a while for my body to "adjust" to not sleeping late and being up and about...

To each is own i guess..

My "preferred" PM' hrs are from 1500 hrs and ending around 0000 hrs,meaning if im near to my terminal or off the train is what important. 0000 hrs is the "witching hr" when the G.O's really start...

• 1 month later...

I prefer AM tour. Lots of non work personal reasons, but work wise, the midnight service changes are ending/over and we have regular service and "most" commuters are out at that time because they are half asleep & going somewhere, not looking to fight of cause a ruckus. I never had too many problems with supervisors so I dont care who is around.

On MIDS, the service changes can drive you crazy. Way less supervision. Problem is, your in your second half of the day when the rush hour kicks off.. Mentally, you've already peaked & looking to cruize out your shift when in reality, you have to be on your toes more than ever.. With so many trains, unplanned events, the normal routine can go out the window in a second.

PMs are good to get your sleep in, but for seeing the your own kids, picking up NYC school kids, and the late night drunks, kinda bites. I was leaving for work before my kids came in from school, so I only saw them weekend mornings & rdos.. The supervisors I think are a bit more relaxed, except for a few individuals..

me and my classmates were debating what tour we want to work and stuff like that.....i actually prefer working the midnights if i were extra extra as opposed to the am or pm.......when you go road posting, you'll do every tour...........i least prefer the pms because it kills your enite day.........

once im able to pick, i'd pick an am job.........but as extra extra, id like the night tour........

me and my classmates were debating what tour we want to work and stuff like that.....i actually prefer working the midnights if i were extra extra as opposed to the am or pm.......when you go road posting, you'll do every tour...........i least prefer the pms because it kills your enite day.........

once im able to pick, i'd pick an am job.........but as extra extra, id like the night tour........

Really? when i went road posting when i started i posted AM's and PM's.

When I posted as a new T/O, I personally did all three tours with tours changing every week. I hated that with a passion, especially the midnight roads.

Only times i ever was on the road around the Midnight hrs was when we did road Ops in Schoolcar from 2200 hrs to 0600 hrs....

Then the trash train when i worked it a few times but never started on the midnights in passenger service...

I feel ya Z midnights arent my thing...

yeah, we posted on midnights about 2 weeks ago.........in about a week, we're going to do pm road posting.........the only thing i didnt like about midnights is that some of these t/o's dont take students......and on the midnights, with the headway being long, it can be frustrating........

they should revise the rules....because u cant say we need t/o's to train students, and on the same term, send them downtown if the student messes up.........

The TA is all about blame. They must blame someone or some department when ever something goes wrong or delays service.

It's really not worth 2 hours of pay to be 100% responsible for anything that happens when a student is operating.

I personally don't take students unless they transfers.

A lot of people do the same thing, but that's just wrong. I always take students because I needed help learning the system when I was new and so do the new people coming up. The two hours extra pay also comes in handy. :P You needed help when you were brand new and got it. The trainer took the risk in accepting you and made you a better operator, yet you're not willing to reciprocate. That's not right.

Although I won't be taking students in the A Division until I am completely familiar and comfortable with the corridor that I am working, probably for the next month to come. By not being totally familiar with the line & terrain, I would be doing the student a disservice by taking the two hours pay for a half-assed break-in.

Z I have taken brand new t/o students in the past but the last one I had

from the street and promotion just to be nice and I almost got burned so no more. I had things under control thank god but if I didn't take action quick I be fighting for my job. So the 2 hours is not worth the drama.

PM's is for me get to sleep late and since i work on the (J) line i doNT run into too much traffic going to work.

Still I can do AM's but it will take a while for my body to "adjust" to not sleeping late and being up and about...

To each is own i guess..

My "preferred" PM' hrs are from 1500 hrs and ending around 0000 hrs,meaning if im near to my terminal or off the train is what important. 0000 hrs is the "witching hr" when the G.O's really start...

Same tour I love. Can get the sleep I like at the times I like. I got use to that, cause those are basically the hours I endured at the DOB. When I did midnights for 5 and 1/2 months, I was really gonna quit. I called and told the crew office that, I was going back to the DOB, cause the midnights were killing me. I hate that tour with a pure murderous passion..........

When I did midnights for 5 and 1/2 months, I was really gonna quit. I called and told the crew office that, I was going back to the DOB, cause the midnights were killing me. I hate that tour with a pure murderous passion..........

What did the CDO say after you told them you were going back to Buses?

What did the CDO say after you told them you were going back to Buses?

They said, they need people on that tour, I said OK, I'll be putting my request in to transfer back. Two weeks later I was on the PM tour. I told them also, that maybe I was new, but there were people hired after myself who were on the PM tour, and I did have seniority over them. I let them know, it isn't any different here than where I came from, cause it is seniority based.

Regardless of what people say, they don't want to lose anyone, even with the amount of people ready to take your job. Once you are on your own, they look for you to make them money, not cost them money, cause it costs to replace someone. You have to get uniforms, pay for background checks, etc.........

Archived