When will the (1) get R142s?

gregorygrice

Erm, you forgot to analyze something about the (7) line and Corona yard:

There are 409 cars of R62As currently assigned to the Corona Yard.

So, that number that MTA mentioned of R188 that they might purchase will not cover service on the (7). R142/As will have to be sent over.

Damn! Your right.. So now i wonder if the (6)s R142As are being pulled from Westchester

Damn! Your right.. So now i wonder if the (6)s R142As are being pulled from Westchester

depends on the builder selected. according to the RFP, only Bombardier or Kawasaki can be selected to manufacture the R188. if it is Bombardier, then the R142's will be converted, if it's kawasaki, then it's the R142A's.

regardless, 360 cars will be converted in addition to the 146 cars being ordered new.

and i'm still getting the feeling that no one's reading what i post before posting stuff that has been asnswered themselves... no offense, it's just getting repetitive...

depends on the builder selected. according to the RFP, only Bombardier or Kawasaki can be selected to manufacture the R188. if it is Bombardier, then the R142's will be converted, if it's kawasaki, then it's the R142A's.

regardless, 360 cars will be converted in addition to the 146 cars being ordered new.

and i'm still getting the feeling that no one's reading what i post before posting stuff that has been asnswered themselves... no offense, it's just getting repetitive...

They cant pick both? Like split?

that would be interesting, a mixed propulsion fleet.....

although that would be unlikely at best. keep in mind the manufacturer has to turn out new cars as well in addition to convert existing cars. operations would be simplified if only one car type was chosen. and as said before, if Bombardier is chosen, 360 R142's will be converted; if Kawasaki is chosen, 360 R142A's will be converted.

that would be interesting, a mixed propulsion fleet.....

although that would be unlikely at best. keep in mind the manufacturer has to turn out new cars as well in addition to convert existing cars. operations would be simplified if only one car type was chosen. and as said before, if Bombardier is chosen, 360 R142's will be converted; if Kawasaki is chosen, 360 R142A's will be converted.

Sorry im kinda confused a bit on convertion.. Would they be sent back to the manufacture for CBTC addition or they will do it on NYCT property?

Sorry im kinda confused a bit on convertion.. Would they be sent back to the manufacture for CBTC addition or they will do it on NYCT property?

the RFP hints at the fact that the initial conversions will be done off site at the manufacturer's plant, and later on, the manufacturer will just deliver conversion kits for the MTA to do onsite.

however, this might have been changed in light of the recent developements (so don't be surprised if they are all done on property or off property). although i doubt that anything has changed with the on/off property business.

this is because it makes sense to do the first few sets off property, and the bulk on property once a sense of familiarity for the conversion process is developed.

The (1) seriously doesnt need R142s, it's been fine w/ the cool ol' school R62As since it first ran on the (1) in 1985. R188's arent meant to replace R62/R62A - its just for CBTC on the (7); I liked the current proposal which doesnt require converting R142A's to CBTC.

So far as R62A's going to IRT West Side it can't run on the (2) since it's forced to its will to share cars w/ its East Side sister (5). Since that's the case I think to add service to the (2), Jeromes R142's are to be transfered to the East 180th and 239th Yards. R62 could go back to there home line (4).

(1) - R62A

(2) - R142

(3) - R62A

(4) - R62 and R142A

(5) - R142

(6) - R142A

(7) - R188

(S) - R62

What is wrong with the R142 running on the (2) and (5)?
There's nothin wrong w/ (2) and (5)'s R142s. I'm sayin since there adding additional service (somethin like that) on the IRT West Side and the (2) can't run R62As because it interchanges cars w/ the (5) I would think R142s from the (4) could be transferred to Unionport and 239th Yards meaning all 1030 R142s would be running on the (2) and (5)........what a minute, now that I mention 1030 R142s I doubt Unionport and 239th Yards can handle all of them.....can they??

There's nothin wrong w/ (2) and (5)'s R142s. I'm sayin since there adding additional service (somethin like that) on the IRT West Side and the (2) can't run R62As because it interchanges cars w/ the (5) I would think R142s from the (4) could be transferred to Unionport and 239th Yards meaning all 1030 R142s would be running on the (2) and (5)........what a minute, now that I mention 1030 R142s I doubt Unionport and 239th Yards can handle all of them.....can they??

The (2)(5) can run R62As, its just that its too much work for changing signs especially while swapping.

When the Redbirds were in service, swaping was easier compared to the R62s..

Right now, we cant Jump to concluions..

Again.. The R188s are not even in order... We are still dealing with 160s..

(MTA) can always change there minds you know..

All of this R188 talk doesn't mean sh*t until they start building them. The money to pay for these cars would come out of the capital budget, and the MTA might have to raid it for operating expenses if they don't get onto a better financial footing...and fast.

I already know that there's no such thing as can't. I remember earlier (this is when I first came here), I proposed an idea that.....

(2) runs generally R62As but also can R142s

(5) generally runs R142s but also can run R62As

R62As are based out of 239th Yard and R142s are based out of Unionport/180th Yard - all of a sudden everybody got on me sayin the (2) can't run R62As cause it swap cars w/ the (5) blah blah blah......

Look can we just forget the R62As on the (2)(5) and R188s and so.. This is childish!

We cant jump to conclusions without anything now..

There is NO R188 orders yet. How can we judge that the (1)(2)(3)(5) is getting R62As or any other line if we dont have an official confirmation?

The R188 hasnt started production.. We are STILL under the R160s order..

Once the R160s is over this yr and a contract has been sign, then we can start talking all the crap about R179/R188.. And what lines get R62As or what ever.

There are loads of crap topic about R179/R188, R142s being swapped to other lines, R62As going to the (2)(5) etc..

Idc about the future now. Im just focusing on R32/R42s being dumped.. and other craps...

Lets just chill guys..

And I agree with Zman 100% :tup:

Keep in mind that everything I'm saying is based of the (MTA) document that Fan Railer posted (it's very recent), and since this is the (MTA), all of it is constantly subject to change.

Which is the .....®70(1)70(8)70(8)!!!!!!!

No. The R188 isn't replacing any cars. It's just converting R142/A cars for CBTC (with a couple of new single cars necesary).

Source Plz?

And thats false. The R188s are going to the (7) for CBTC.

R62As are staying with its (1), while the extra R62As on the (7) could hit West Side for extrs service out of 180th, 240th or 148th.

There was a plan before for the R188 to be only 123 cars - 3 extra trains for the (1)(2)(3)(7) lines each. He was right but that plan has since changed.

ya, which is freezing my browser. From one is this?

Besides, idc about orders as much. I just care about getting myself around safe and smoothly..

It's an (MTA) Capital Construction Committee report from December 14th, 2009. The reason it takes up to 5 minutes to load is because the file size is something like 70MB. If anyone's interested they would find the info on the R188s between pages 79-95 (but seriously there are more important issues to discuss).

The 188's shoulda been built like the R33WF, all singles to attach to the end of 142 sets

Building cars in 5-car sets saves money. If singles are needed then some of the cars in an order can be built as singles.

It would make sense to choose one fleet or else the fleet wouldn't necessarily be interoperable with each other (R142As and R142s aren't run together).

Again.. The R188s are not even in order... We are still dealing with 160s..

(MTA) can always change there minds you know..

You're 100% correct. The R188 order is still in the bidding process and a long way away. This would be like talking about the R160s in 2002 or the R142s in the mid-90's.

There is NO R188 orders yet. How can we judge that the (1)(2)(3)(5) is getting R62As or any other line if we dont have an official confirmation?

The R188 hasnt started production.. We are STILL under the R160s order..

Once the R160s is over this yr and a contract has been sign, then we can start talking all the crap about R179/R188.. And what lines get R62As or what ever.

There are loads of crap topic about R179/R188, R142s being swapped to other lines, R62As going to the (2)(5) etc..

Idc about the future now. Im just focusing on R32/R42s being dumped.. and other craps...

Lets just chill guys..

And I agree with Zman 100% :tup:

I agree. The R188, if the (MTA) decides to go through with it (it's based on the (7) CBTC project), is NOT a replacement order, it's just converting R142/As. Everything else, all the technicalities of the order will be made clear once the cars are actually on property years from now.

I'd just like if they gave the R62's a FIND display

Not going to happen. Assuming funding was no issue and there was even a place to put the unit in the car, there aren't enough unused electrical connections in the couplers to make it work.

painting the seats blue

I'm really sure that i've seen this done on R62As from Corona...

Not going to happen. Assuming funding was no issue and there was even a place to put the unit in the car, there aren't enough unused electrical connections in the couplers to make it work.

I'm really sure that i've seen this done on R62As from Corona...

Joe what is wrong with you? Logic does not work. And yes, some of the R62As have blue seats.

The fate of the LED rings is likely reliant on where the R62As from the 7 end up. If they go to the 6, they'll probably stay. if they go to the 4, they'll probably go. I would tend to expect that the ones going to the 1 line will lose them, but such is just an assumption.

I know the answer would be complete speculation, but what do you think they would do with the LED rings if they're removed?

Archived