Babylon Branch as E Extension

67thAve

If the money were there, it would be more practical to extend the (E) from where its' tunnel currently ends down Merrick Boulevard and out to Springfield Gardens/Rosedale.

While the subway and LIRR use third rail, they're different voltages. Besides a connection to the Babylon Line, you'd need a supplemental third rail just for (E) trains.

While the subway and LIRR use third rail, they're different voltages. Besides a connection to the Babylon Line, you'd need a supplemental third rail just for (E) trains.

Completely impractical. Not to mention the NYC Subway and a railroad would never be allowed to share trackage regularly by the FRA.

If the money were there, it would be more practical to extend the (E) from where its' tunnel currently ends down Merrick Boulevard and out to Springfield Gardens/Rosedale.

This is what was supposed to happen: the tracks currently curve to 160th Street and South Road and ends there. From there, it was supposed to ascend to the LIRR ROW and run alongside the Far Rockaway Branch and head to Rosedale.

img_41921.jpg

(Photo by Robert Mencher)

Notice how the track curves. The track map at nycsubway.org says it goes straight, however, that's incorrect.

I'd rather see Queens get more subway lines. There are huge gaps north of Flushing (Bayside etc...) granted some of them are served by LIRR.

Yeah, that is more practical than a (E) extension to Babylon, ;).

At this point, anything would be more practical :)

If the (E) was extended to Babylon, it would'nt need many upgrades besides turnstiles, MVMs and a connection after Parsons Bvld.

Why would you propose extending the (E) train to Babylon? Why should Long Island's south shore get New York City subway service when there are many parts of the City that currently don't have subway service? The only thing I can see doing would be to extend the (E) to southeastern Queens on one of the existing LIRR lines as proposed back in 1968. Or possibly extend the (E) to Belmont Park. But not any further than that.

The (7) would become a very long line if that were to be done, especially during off-peak hours when the <7> express doesn't operate. Also, the (MTA) would have to find another way to make the Main Street-Flushing station ADA-accessible because they'd have to demolish the fare-control area just beyond the end of the line, which was built in the 90s to make the station ADA-accessible.

You also run into the same issue with having subway and LIRR trains on the same tracks because there isn't room on the Port Washington branch for two extra tracks to accommodate an extended (7) train. However, I did see what looked like a large clearing area with two non-electrified tracks just east of the Bayside LIRR station (they look like they could be storage tracks for MOW equipment). Perhaps some new electrified tracks can be built in that clearing area to accommodate extra service on the PW branch from Bayside to Penn Station. Perhaps, by charging lower fares, they could encourage more people to use that service instead of taking the slower-than-molasses Q13 bus to Flushing and transferring to the (7). Couple that with building one or two more stations between the Flushing and Woodside LIRR stations and you wouldn't really need a (7) extension to Bayside.

• 3 weeks later...
Why would you propose extending the (E) train to Babylon? Why should Long Island's south shore get New York City subway service when there are many parts of the City that currently don't have subway service? The only thing I can see doing would be to extend the (E) to southeastern Queens on one of the existing LIRR lines as proposed back in 1968. Or possibly extend the (E) to Belmont Park. But not any further than that.

Lol no thank you, the (E) is already very slow and long the way it is and plus people have to take slow buses to get to Jamaica Center to take the slow (E). I think most people in Southeast Queens prefer the LIRR since its faster, I know I do. :)

2 hours v.s. 30-45 minutes.

Archived