3rd rail cut off/control question

mark1447

If the 3rd rail was cut off due to emergency or g/o, lets say Concourse Line, and at 170th Street the 3rd rail needs to be cut off becuz someone is on the track. Would it cause the entire line to get cut off or only a portion? Such as Local, express and/or m track

And where does the 3rd rail get controlled at?

Everywhere you see a blue light in the tunnel is where there is a emergency shut off to cut off power within the area. When things like EDPs on roadbeds are called in, the power is pulled from RCC. If power needs to be pulled on an elevated section of rail, you go to the nearest station and tell the agent to turn the power off from inside the booth, or have RCC do it.

I thought the blue lights meant that there is a EM phone there?

Also whats RCC/EDP?

If the 3rd rail was cut off due to emergency or g/o, lets say Concourse Line, and at 170th Street the 3rd rail needs to be cut off becuz someone is on the track. Would it cause the entire line to get cut off or only a portion? Such as Local, express and/or m track

And where does the 3rd rail get controlled at?

Cutting the 3rd rail for an emergency and planned work are two very different things. If you pull the emergency box, power comes back on and you must pull it again and wait for a call on the phone at the location and you better have a very good reason for why you shut off power. When work is to be done that necessitates removing 3rd rail power, arraignments are made. I think either power is cut from the main power control center or the nearest substation for that area. Some times they will literally cut the 3rd rail as they did when they did a chip out between Jay Street and Hoyt on the (A)(C) a few years ago because they had trains make their last stop at Jay, only 75-100 feet from the work zone.

I thought the blue lights meant that there is a EM phone there?

Also whats RCC/EDP?

No, a blue light means there is a phone, fire extinguisher, and a power disconnect.

RCC= Rail Control Center

EDP= Emotionally Disturbed Person

No, a blue light means there is a phone, fire extinguisher, and a power disconnect.

RCC= Rail Control Center

EDP= Emotionally Disturbed Person

Oh ok! How long does it take for power to come back on?

In the Original Taking of Pelham 123,The character I believe was mr Green(Longman the former motorman) Walked down the roadbed a few feet and cut power,and got a mouthfull from Caz at RCC.But cutting power still keeps tunnel lights on.

The 3rd rail and tunnel lighting and signals are on 2 different signals. And back then it was Command Center.

Im talking about if you were to restore power to the 3rd rail, does it take time or just turns on rapid?

In the event of a pulled box, and nobody accepts responsibility, power can be turned back on in only a couple of minutes. If someone calls it in, power can be restored to the unaffected tracks while leaving the affected tracks without power.

In regards to track work finishing up, power isn't restored until Control gets the all clear from the appropriate departments.

• 3 years later...

We still work live.

For a brief time we started working dead but productivity became less. For whtaever reason my departemtn 3rd Rail, Power Distribution, whatever they want to call it when convienant, insists we remove power (G.O.) for Track, Contractors or whover it may be and rather have us do work on those same tracks send us to a different area or even another line all together.

Back when I started we would replace the 3rd Rail (Contact rail) live while in service with trains running. We would use the EA boxes ourselves if we needed to cut power real quick to change a arching insulator or remove a grounded out cable that feeds the 3rd rail. This was before things started becoming computerized and technology began catching up with us.

We still work live.

For a brief time we started working dead but productivity became less. For whtaever reason my departemtn 3rd Rail, Power Distribution, whatever they want to call it when convienant, insists we remove power (G.O.) for Track, Contractors or whover it may be and rather have us do work on those same tracks send us to a different area or even another line all together.

Back when I started we would replace the 3rd Rail (Contact rail) live while in service with trains running. We would use the EA boxes ourselves if we needed to cut power real quick to change a arching insulator or remove a grounded out cable that feeds the 3rd rail. This was before things started becoming computerized and technology began catching up with us.

And we bumped a 3 year old thread why?

We still work live.

Woah, what? That's incredible! Transit maintenance workers replacing third rail live while trains are in revenue service? I had no idea transit maintenance workers were able (or willing) to even do that without getting electrocuted. I mean most experienced electricians do not perform work on live wire as far as I know. 

SO its still information we need?

Need???

Is any of this inormation anyone "needs" or is it about things people find interesting?

It's up to you, as well as others to decide what information they "need" and what they just find " 

"

Need???

Is any of this inormation anyone "needs" or is it about things people find interesting?

It's up to you, as well as others to decide what information they "need" and what they just find " 

"

If you ask me a TO unless somebody here is looking to get into track its not info thats useful..

If you ask me a TO unless somebody here is looking to get into track its not info thats useful..

All that is useful on any of these threads is what any one person decides. For the most part, everything here is just informative.

I could say the same about you RTO guys getting ino these detailed discussion of train cars. Who really cares as long as it comes quick enough and gets me where I want to go.

If your not interested in what's written then just keep it moving :)

All that is useful on any of these threads is what any one person decides. For the most part, everything here is just informative.

I could say the same about you RTO guys getting ino these detailed discussion of train cars. Who really cares as long as it comes quick enough and gets me where I want to go.

If your not interested in what's written then just keep it moving :)

If you been paying attention i *dont* get into detail discussion about rail cars..

I come from the Mold "If ya really want to know so much about the job take the test"...

Just like i did in 2000!

Im not the only one (RTO Wise)here who thinks that way actually.

Archived