Why don't they extend the (C) to Lefferts?

duelingdragons

Best solution is to disentangle the Liberty Ave el from the Rockaway branches.

Wait till the next boom time comes and build a 2 track subway

(under Conduit ave//Belt pkway) between Euclid and Howard Beach with a lower level at Grant and a new station at Cross bay and turn some trains around at Howard beach//JFK(will need the four tracks at that station.)

That would only help if there was a second East River tunnel from the Hoyt local tracks to Court Street to Lower Manhattan to WTC. Otherwise, the constraints of Cranberry Street are very limitative.

another east river tunnel?

disconnecting the Liberty El from the Rockaway line?

what about the transit museum?

the time and money on new tunnels?

now extending the (C) to lefferts? lets remember another factor:

who here besides me has had to sit on a train outside of Hoyt waiting for a local/express to cross over infront? now that would happen on both ends like when the (C) went to Rock Park. Now schedules will have to be adjusted to minimize delays. No service improvement.

With the ©'s pathetic headways, I think no more than one train would be needed. BTW, how is there less (A) service on the mainline?

In order to extend the C to Lefferts, you need a couple of extra trains, which would probably be taken from the A. Also, if all trains run to the Rockways, the headway out in the Rockways is the same headway at 34th Street-Penn Station.

Sure, you can start some As at Euclid Avenue to maintain the headways for the mainline A, but then you might as well send the A to Lefferts Blvd, because the headway would be roughly the same for Lefferts riders.

I first thought that C service should be extended to Lefferts, but then I realized that there was no logical way of maing sure that the A would be less crowded.

The best way to take care of (A) and ©train service outside Manhattan is to build two more tubes to carry them to brooklyn, along with upgrading 2 tracked areas to 4 tracks.

THEN we can talk about increasing service on the (C) or either (A), since we won't have the current tunnels bottlenecking it.

That would only help if there was a second East River tunnel from the Hoyt local tracks to Court Street to Lower Manhattan to WTC. Otherwise, the constraints of Cranberry Street are very limitative.

The purpose of the proposal is to have service as follows:

1)(A) to Mott ave ALL TIMES

2)(C) to Howard beach//JFK (extended to Rock.park rush hrs)

3)Shuttle :Lefferts to Grant(During rush hrs to/from 207th St)

4)Shuttle: Rockaway Park. to Howard beach//JFK

This way the main line will serve JFK(most important st.) most of the time.

No need to change service west of Euclid.

The purpose of the proposal is to have service as follows:

1)(A) to Mott ave ALL TIMES

2)(C) to Howard beach//JFK (extended to Rock.park rush hrs)

3)Shuttle :Lefferts to Grant(During rush hrs to/from 207th St)

4)Shuttle: Rockaway Park. to Howard beach//JFK

This way the main line will serve JFK(most important st.) most of the time.

No need to change service west of Euclid.

(C) to JFK may cause a bottle neck at Euclid

Shuttle to Grant: where would u relay trains? they'll have to enter Euclid.

Shuttle Rock Pk-JFK: where would you relay trains? switches are south of JFK.

Currently JFK is served just fine.

The best option is to only rename Lefferts (A) to avoid confusion for non-frequent riders.

Doesn't matter, most of his ideas don't make much sense.

Congestions at Euclid and Howard Beach alone would make his ideas totally implausible.

At most extending the Rockaway S to Howard Beach should only be done at night as I would imagine it would be safer and less frigid to wait for the trains there than Broad Channel. But looking at the track configurations - that is not really as ideal as the current set up at Broad Channel.

Basically - that should be left alone as well or they would need to reuse one of the two unused middle tracks to relay the S north of the Howard beach station.

Everything as of now is fine the way it is, unless what somebody mentioned earlier about renaming the Lefferts (A) train to the (K).

If anything the Court St/Transit Museum stub is about the best chance of the Second Ave Subway providing service in Brooklyn. The (T) would run Fulton Local to Euclid Av, while the (A) and (C) both would run Fulton Exp w/ (C) to Lefferts and (A) to Far Rockaway. This provides East and West Side service to Fulton riders.

I was thinking: (A) Inwood - Far Rockaway (local), (C) Euclid Ave. - Lefferts Blvd., and (S) Broad Channel - Rockaway Park, for late night service. I think that's better than what goes on now; with two shuttle trains and all.

Just Like Lefferts Blvd folks, Far Rockaways will not want local either.

Within introduce of rush hour peak ferry service on New York Water Taxi, it still takes them long commute, even with two express buses QM16 and QM17.

They are demanding for faster express service.

I was thinking: (A) Inwood - Far Rockaway (local), (C) Euclid Ave. - Lefferts Blvd., and (S) Broad Channel - Rockaway Park, for late night service. I think that's better than what goes on now; with two shuttle trains and all.

the C Euclid-Lefferts shuttle would be EXACTLY like it is now. So whats the point of calling it the C?

Just Like Lefferts Blvd folks, Far Rockaways will not want local either.

Within introduce of rush hour peak ferry service on New York Water Taxi, it still takes them long commute, even with two express buses QM16 and QM17.

They are demanding for faster express service.

It's late nights only.

the C Euclid-Lefferts shuttle would be EXACTLY like it is now. So whats the point of calling it the C?

Yeah, explain that to someone unfamiliar with the system coming from Rockaway Park at night. OK, first you take the (S) to Broad Channel, transfer to the (A), then get off at Rockaway Blvd., then transfer to the (S), again...:confused: And what if the shuttle is running all the way to Euclid. Hop on the wrong one at that time, and pay a serious time penalty.

I once stayed on the A (Far Rock-bound) instead of transferring to the shuttle (Rockaway Park), by accident. Went from early to late by one simple mistake, and this was broad daylight.

Yeah, explain that to someone unfamiliar with the system coming from Rockaway Park at night. OK, first you take the (S) to Broad Channel, transfer to the (A), then get off at Rockaway Blvd., then transfer to the (S), again...:confused: And what if the shuttle is running all the way to Euclid. Hop on the wrong one at that time, and pay a serious time penalty.

I once stayed on the A (Far Rock-bound) instead of transferring to the shuttle (Rockaway Park), by accident. Went from early to late by one simple mistake, and this was broad daylight.

easy, you explain it in plain english.

And most of us here just say "wait for the train that says 'to Lefferts Blvd'on it".

Not to mention, if youre coming from rockaway park, one knows how to get to lefferts. and if they are not from rockaway pk, getting back there is as simple as reversing how you got there. (A)(C) or(S), trains to Lefferts say to Lefferts on them.

people can read you know.

People like this have some absoulte fascination with why what to them seems obvious isn't done. things like this and the whole M/V bit. they don't understand;

1. That it's not practicale, so it's not done.

2. That not everyone thinks the same thing (my aunt was fuming when she found out the M, which she's been riding to work from Metro to Broad Street every day for over 20 years, was being taken away.)

3. That things will get worse, not better

4. That they are making themselves look bad by repeating the same bit over and over ad nauseam (a point this discussion got to a week ago if not longer), which is why no one takes them seriously.

To be honest, not everybody's going to have it there way. If a few people have to make a same platform change to allow for a whole lot more people direct access to midtown Manhattan, I'm all for it. The (M)/(V) combo makes sense without a budget cut. But that's why something that makes more sense isn't done in this situation, because people that are only concerned about THEIR one seat ride beef. My advice is: GET UP and make a same platform transfer. From what I've been hearing, the (A) express is not much faster than the (C) local. This whole issue is common sense to me. And, what's with all the people beefing about how if the (C) was extended to Lefferts it would be too long, when it used to run from BEDFORD PARK to Euclid?

To be honest, not everybody's going to have it there way. If a few people have to make a same platform change to allow for a whole lot more people direct access to midtown Manhattan, I'm all for it. The (M)/(V) combo makes sense without a budget cut. But that's why something that makes more sense isn't done in this situation, because people that are only concerned about THEIR one seat ride beef. My advice is: GET UP and make a same platform transfer. From what I've been hearing, the (A) express is not much faster than the (C) local. This whole issue is common sense to me. And, what's with all the people beefing about how if the (C) was extended to Lefferts it would be too long, when it used to run from BEDFORD PARK to Euclid?

the (C) also use to run to Rock Pk. But was shortened to Euclid. If you extend the (C), local and express trains will bottleneck at BOTH ends of Brooklyn. A scheduling nightmare. One that can be avoided by leaving the service as it is. You cant make All (A) trains runt to Mott cause you cant have all of those trains terminating at a 2- track terminal. Honestly, what is the overall benefit of extending the (C) to lefferts?? the only logical reason to extend the (C) to Lefferts is as a service cut. Plan and simple

Exactly, Far Rock.

To everyone else: For the last time, It's all about perception. People on Lefferts are not giving up their one seat express ride. They will leave the C in droves by the time it gets to Rockaway Blvd and pile onto the A train. The C will be empty from Rockaway Blvd to Euclid. Plus you have to have the C merge with the A, where's the time savings in that?

So if you people are so intent on splitting the A, just rename one A line into the K and thus no more confusion about what train goes to where.

Archived