MLB Baseball 2010 thread: The Regular Season

Shortline Bus

Beltran isn't coming back until August most likely, then he will not be playing at 100% since he has had major surgeries on his right knee.

Big mistake by Omar to have signed him for 7 yrs. 19 million a year.

IMO as i stated before Omar as a semi puppet and the "real Mets GM" IMO calling the shots is Jeff Wilpon the Owner's son and heir apperent to running the team.

Before Willie Randolph firing and later the last minute collapse to miss playoffs again in 2008, Omar did had full power.(No GM in ever has 100% control)After 2008, Jeff I feel has taken over as the 'silent' Co-GM with 'final say' on all major player decisions, that rarely works in sports when the Owner/Co-Owner is that involved.

And the Beltran re signing is now the worst Mets free agents signing in almost 20 years imo, since they signed in early 1990's, a washed up Vince Coleman, former CY Young and World Series MVP Bret Saberhagen and overpaid for a good player but never superstar Bobby Bonilla.

With that said as long as they are at or around the .500 mark by July 1, they will be in the NL wild card hunt. It's looks like this year they are many medicore teams in NL and maybe as little as 86-87 wins will win the last playoff berth. We shall see.

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Granted they overpaid Beltran when even the Yankees would rather stick with a declining bernie Williams, but he has been a decent bat when healthy. Mo Vaughn was worse, they traded away a decent pitcher for him.

Mo Vaughn was an overweight time bomb waiting to explode and did after teh Angels gave him that big contract and the Mets were stupid enough to take off their hands.

The Yankees (19-8) and the Red Sox (15-14) play a semi-critical three game series at Fenway this weekend. Tonight Phil Hughes vs. Josh Beckett; tomorrow C.C. vs. Buchholz and Sunday A.J. Burnett vs Johnathan Lester.

While this is happening, the Rays (21-7) are in Oakland for a three game weekend series against the Athletics (15-14).

Mo Vaughn was an overweight time bomb waiting to explode and did after teh Angels gave him that big contract and the Mets were stupid enough to take off their hands.

Yup, trading a pitcher for a batter just doesn't make sense imo. I think it was Kevin Appier, who did pretty well for the Mets.

I'm starting to think the pitcher should hit in the American league just so the garbage Beckett pulled tonight wont happen. Beckett just started throwing at Yankee hitters tonight without fear of any retribution because he doesn't have to hit. If Beckett had to hit he would think twice about throwing at batters like he did tonight it was disgusting and he needs to hit to know how it feels to get thrown at.

I agree somewhat that scumbag would get his punishment, but you have to worry about what if Beckett hit Hughes when he was batting. That would've been far worse. I don't care about retaliation, but I don't want pitchers put in danger in the batter's box. The ump should've tossed Beckett after hitting his 2nd batter. That was clear he just didn't give a shit anymore. the only good thing was he imploded and allowed the Yanks to pad the lead and rest their major arms like Joba and Rivera.

The NL should adopt the DH as well. That or interleage should all be DH only because Wang has never been the same since hurting his foot in Houston in 2008.

IMO as i stated before Omar as a semi puppet and the "real Mets GM" IMO calling the shots is Jeff Wilpon the Owner's son and heir apperent to running the team.

Before Willie Randolph firing and later the last minute collapse to miss playoffs again in 2008, Omar did had full power.(No GM in ever has 100% control)After 2008, Jeff I feel has taken over as the 'silent' Co-GM with 'final say' on all major player decisions, that rarely works in sports when the Owner/Co-Owner is that involved.

And the Beltran re signing is now the worst Mets free agents signing in almost 20 years imo, since they signed in early 1990's, a washed up Vince Coleman, former CY Young and World Series MVP Bret Saberhagen and overpaid for a good player but never superstar Bobby Bonilla.

Beltran wasn't as much of a bust as Bobby Bonilla. Beltran did have a season in which he hit over 40 homers (too lazy to do the research). However, he clearly underperformed.

Ace Josh Beckett had a bit of a rough start tonight: 5.1 innings, eight strikeouts but nine runs, nine earned runs, three walks and a home run. He saw his E.R.A. increase to 7.46. Big Papi was 1 for 3 as the D.H. and is at .178.

Phil Hughes pitched 7.0 innings and seven hits, a base on balls, two runs. two earned runs and seven strikeouts. Now 4-0 with a 1.69 E.R.A..

The Yankees' 10-3 win puts the Red Sox at 15-15.

Rod Barajas hit a walk - off two - run homerun to make a winner out of Francisco Rodriguez. 1st Base sensation Ike Davis hit 2 home runs (I missed the first one). Pelfrey was stellar, allowing 3 runs in 7 and a thirds innings. The Mets have won 8 straight home games.

Ace Josh Beckett had a bit of a rough start tonight: 5.1 innings, eight strikeouts but nine runs, nine earned runs, three walks and a home run. He saw his E.R.A. increase to 7.46. Big Papi was 1 for 3 as the D.H. and is at .178.

Phil Hughes pitched 7.0 innings and seven hits, a base on balls, two runs. two earned runs and seven strikeouts. Now 4-0 with a 1.69 E.R.A..

The Yankees' 10-3 win puts the Red Sox at 15-15.

I think this is going to be a long season in New England. Although the Red Sox have among the best starters in MLB overall most of the rest of their team is aging and shot.

If they don't watch it, the Red Sox nation in worst case scenrio could finish as low as 4th place. The Blue Jays look much improved loading up on top prospects from the Hallady/Lee mega trade and could be a playoff challenger by 2011.

Jamie Moyer became the oldest pitcher at 47 years to record a shutout as he allowed only 2 hits and faced 28 batters. Last year on the same day, he had a start he would want to forget at Citi Field. It is ironic how Hall of Famer Robin Roberts passed away yesterday and Moyer pitches a shutout the next day.

Beltran wasn't as much of a bust as Bobby Bonilla. Beltran did have a season in which he hit over 40 homers (too lazy to do the research). However, he clearly underperformed.

2006 with 41

Jamie Moyer is like the Engerizer bunny, he keeps going and going and going.:P

It hard to believe he is only about a year younger then the current President of the United States.:eek:

Not to mention, several current MLB Managers and GM's are younger than Moyer as well.

Rod Barajas hit a walk - off two - run homerun to make a winner out of Francisco Rodriguez. 1st Base sensation Ike Davis hit 2 home runs (I missed the first one). Pelfrey was stellar, allowing 3 runs in 7 and a thirds innings. The Mets have won 8 straight home games.
Awesome game last night and the HRs by Ike and Rod and Ike's flip over the first base dugout to catch a foul pop-up was awesome.

Your a nice guy, Shortline, but you can not be more wrong on Beltran. Carlos Beltran is NO Bobby Bonilla. This guy was not in the locker room playing cards during the 2006 NLCS like Bonilla did in the 1999 NLCS clinching, 11 inning 6th game. Beltran has contributed heavily with his bat and with glove as A Met, something Bonilla never did.

Your a nice guy, Shortline, but you can not be more wrong on Beltran. Carlos Beltran is NO Bobby Bonilla. This guy was not in the locker room playing cards during the 2006 NLCS like Bonilla did in the 1999 NLCS clinching, 11 inning 6th game. Beltran has contributed heavily with his bat and with glove as A Met, something Bonilla never did.

Maybe i misspoke about Mr. Beltran sorry Met fans and he has not been a total bust and terrible free agent signing as he did led the Mets to the 2006 NLCS. I meant to say Beltran was way overpaid and is or has never been an elite Offensive player ie Howard, Puljois, etc. Before this long term and sorry to say possibly career threating injury,Carlos i rank is in the 2nd tier of very good players who on a playoff contender is an excellent 2nd-3rd offensive option in a lineup.

Again only the Wilpons would overpay for a good player who had one of the great offensive post season runs in recent MLB history with the Astros in 2005 leading them to the world series that lead to Beltran being way overpaid.

Know i expect a shot back from Locomotion lol.:tup:

Maybe i misspoke about Mr. Beltran sorry Met fans and he has not been a total bust and terrible free agent signing as he did led the Mets to the 2006 NLCS. I meant to say Beltran was way overpaid and is or has never been an elite Offensive player ie Howard, Puljois, etc. Before this long term and sorry to say possibly career threating injury,Carlos i rank is in the 2nd tier of very good players who on a playoff contender is an excellent 2nd-3rd offensive option in a lineup.

Again only the Wilpons would overpay for a good player who had one of the great offensive post season runs in recent MLB history with the Astros in 2005 leading them to the world series that lead to Beltran being way overpaid.

Know i expect a shot back from Locomotion lol.:tup:

Aside from Mo vaughn the biggest bust i remember the Mets signing was George Foster who was supposed to supply the Mets with power for years and was a total bust. Foster was the product of a killer line up with the Reds and when he came to the Mets it showed

Aside from Mo vaughn the biggest bust i remember the Mets signing was George Foster who was supposed to supply the Mets with power for years and was a total bust. Foster was the product of a killer line up with the Reds and when he came to the Mets it showed

Foster was overrated and it helped he was a member for several years in the mid/late '70's, the 'Big Red Machine' arguably the best offensive team in MLB history.

Is it me are is McCarver rooting for the Sox with that ridicoulous commentary about how Beckett wasn't throwing at anybody last night when you have to be Stevie Wonder not to know he was purposely throwing at Yankee hitters last night. Then just now with Winn being safe at home and McCarver making it seem as Winn was obviously out when he was safe and then defending his call when he obviously wrong

No you aren't alone, that deuche is basically giving Beckett a free pass and condemning CC. It's unfrigging believable how biased they are in the booth. Fox deserves 'two birds' for this.

:edit:

and they had the nerve to ask Girardi if the pitch was intentional. What an A-hole.

No you aren't alone, that deuche is basically giving Beckett a free pass and condemning CC. It's unfrigging believable how biased they are in the booth. Fox deserves 'two birds' for this.

:edit:

and they had the nerve to ask Girardi if the pitch was intentional. What an A-hole.

I am not home and typing this at a laundry so i wont comment on McCarver.

Maybe he has a bias against Yanks since he was fired from them as a local announcer when the Yanks were shown locally in NY area on Fox/Ch. 5 and MSG network in late 1990's. Unless i am 'out' such as a sports bar or something, i listen to the radio broadcast of John Sterling.

Speaking of announcers, I will say that i never could understand how Joe Buck became the #1 MLB and NFL announcer. If were not for his daddy, he would never had gotten so far ahead. Joe Buck is best suited as a studio host IMO. Also Kenny Albert should be the #1 MLB and NFL announcer on FOX. The younger Albert although a NY born guy like his dad, is a straight shooter and unbias which you expect for a 'national' play-play man.

Even the local lead Yanks announcer on "Yes" Micheal Kay is not great imo.

Kay should be the studio host for pre/post games like he was at MSG. Politics and not merit more than ever rules on who gets these pretigous broadcasting jobs.

Or Bring back 'pros' like Bob Costas, Al Micheals or even good younger MLB announcers like the Mets Gary Cohen or the Red Sox Don Orehell. Man has broadcasting in all sports gone down as a whole.

Blanco hit a walk - off home run off of San Francisco's Guillermo Mota. Yeah, that Mota. Santana pitched 7 and one thirds inning. It's the second straight day that a catcher has hit a walk - off home run. The Mets have won nine straight at home. I wanna see them win ten. LET'S GO METS!!!!!!

Archived