MLB Baseball 2010 thread: The Regular Season

Shortline Bus

Love to hear reaction from Met fans Gojimet, R68 aka Andrew Johnson, Locomotion and also our MLB fans Concourse, B35, Mr. Wilson aka Forest Glen or Nel?

Is this unfair with the Blue Jays/Phils series moving from Canada to Philly because of the G20 summit in Toronto in late June?

My takes is below. Also i think this is unfair to teams like the Giants Rockies and the Cards who might be battling for home field advnatage in October in the NL playoffs.

In defense of the Blue Jays(i am not a fan of them except during the '93 world series in college in the "Joe Carter series' i won a bet against a classmate on who would win but another topic lol ) they been robbed.

Bud Selig and the schedule makers at MLB should know the G20 is basically the same in terms of as both an event and security coverage as the Democratic and GOP presidential conventions every 4 years, so they should have automatically had schedule the Jays to be on the road for those dates in late June anyhow.

Or at least move those Jays/Phillies game to a 'neutral' sites in nearby cities like Buffalo (it would sell out no doubt at the Mets minor league stadium right now)Detroit or Cleveland.

Just like the NFL IMO screwed up at the 2005 season opener right after Hurricane Katrina and had the Saints play at the now 'old' Giants Stadium as the 'home' team instead of say playing that game at netural site in nearby Dallas, Houston or San Antanio.

And regarding the Phils/Rockies in Denver, Coors Field Progressive Field in Cleveland and Target Field with the Twins are should have retractable roofs on them. Open the roofs on nice or hot days and close the roofs on days like last night 5/11/10 when the Denver area has a rare spring snowstorm.

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Phillies will have 3 extra games played at the Bank at the end of June against the Blue Jays. That is because the G20 in Toronto moved the series to Philly. The Jays will still be the "home" team.

I can't believe it is snowing in Denver, CO!

I take it this will be the 1st time that park will see the DH rather than a pitcher at the plate?

Yes kind of reminds me of the time the Giants got the extra home game against the Saints even though officially the Saints were the home team. I think the Phillies are getting a big break.

The Saints had to play 'home' at the meadowlands Nel vs Giants because it was right after Hurricane Katrina. So basically the Saints did not play a 'home' game in New Orleans until i think the following season in 2006.

So Nel should not MLB had just had the Blue Jays at Philly the whole time. The G20 was known to be in Toronto this June ('10)since at least late last year in 2009. Concourse or Nel should MLB had moved the game to netural site ie Buffalo(minor league stadium), Cleveland or even Yankee Stadium or Citifield?

Yes kind of reminds me of the time the Giants got the extra home game against the Saints even though officially the Saints were the home team. I think the Phillies are getting a big break.

Yeah, they are more like an AL team in the NL. Does kinda suck if halladay does pitch and he can't do so in front of the Toronto fans. But from a $ standpoint, the Phillies will get more tickets sold than if this was in Toronto. Toronto is 'too happy' to let the Phillies host the games for them.

-

Although the Yankees lost another game to the Tigers, at least Vazquez pitched decently enough, but no thanks to the offense getting shut down, he lost. But this is at least a step in the right direction as he'll be facing the Twins at the Stadium and needs a game like this to build up his confidence.

The Saints had to play 'home' at the meadowlands Nel vs Giants because it was right after Hurricane Katrina. So basically the Saints did not play a 'home' game in New Orleans until i think the following season in 2006.

So Nel should not MLB had just had the Blue Jays at Philly the whole time. The G20 was known to be in Toronto this June ('10)since at least late last year in 2009. Concourse or Nel should MLB had moved the game to netural site ie Buffalo(minor league stadium), Cleveland or even Yankee Stadium or Citifield?

The series should have been played in a neutral site like the ones you suggested but as always Baseball looked at the money issue and knew those three games in Philly would sellout as opposed to playing in a half empty neutral site. Baseball as usual opted for the money instead of being fair.

MLB dropped the ball for having those games scheduled during the G20 sumit than to reschedule it. This is the problem with Interleague as the teams face each other only once a year and that's it.

I suppose the only 'fair' thing to do would be to have these be the Phillies's home games and the next time those two face each other, then the Blue Jays can host.

Love to hear reaction from Met fans Gojimet, R68 aka Andrew Johnson, Locomotion and also our MLB fans Concourse, B35, Mr. Wilson aka Forest Glen or Nel?

Is this unfair with the Blue Jays/Phils series moving from Canada to Philly because of the G20 summit in Toronto in late June?

My takes is below. Also i think this is unfair to teams like the Giants Rockies and the Cards who might be battling for home field advnatage in October in the NL playoffs.

God Damn Phillies get more home games???!!!! Cant they just move them to another city?

Watch this funny clip of Mets Announcer/Color Commentator Keith Hernandez fall sleep 'live' during last weekend Mets/Giants game broadcast on both SNY and WPIX-TV.:tup: I wish i could sleep at my job too.:(

FYI. The Mets won that game on Saturday Night.

http://backporch.fanhouse.com/2010/05/11/keith-hernandez-falls-asleep-in-booth-during-mets-game/?icid=main|main|dl4|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fbackporch.fanhouse.com%2F2010%2F05%2F11%2Fkeith-hernandez-falls-asleep-in-booth-during-mets-game%2F

Haha, good find Shortline. He does have a long commute into CitiField, Keith lives out in Sag Harbor, a good 1.5-2hr drive.:(

About the 3 extra home games the Phillies are going to get I think will be a non factor between the mets and phillies. The Phillies should be able to beat them at either home or away.

The series should have been played in a neutral site like the ones you suggested but as always Baseball looked at the money issue and knew those three games in Philly would sellout as opposed to playing in a half empty neutral site. Baseball as usual opted for the money instead of being fair.

Same thing back in 2008 with Hurricane Ike that postponed the Cubs vs. Astros in Houston. Instead, they move it to Milwaukee's Miller Park (aka Wrigley North) where Carlos Zambrano threw a no-hitter.

MLB dropped the ball for having those games scheduled during the G20 sumit than to reschedule it. This is the problem with Interleague as the teams face each other only once a year and that's it.

I suppose the only 'fair' thing to do would be to have these be the Phillies's home games and the next time those two face each other, then the Blue Jays can host.

I wonder if they still have a stadium in downtown Montreal?

I wonder if they still have a stadium in downtown Montreal?

Mr. Wilson if you mean the Expos aka Nationals former home, the Montreal Olympic Stadium(also site of the 1976 summer games including opening/closing cermonies and track & field events)the answer is 'no.':o The Stadium is still up but no longer suited for baseball.

Here link.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Stadium_%28Montreal%29

Maybe a potential small miracle in the making.......

The San Diego Padres, Washington Senators and Cincinnatti Reds are winning!

The Padres are 22-12, best in the N.L. West, the Reds are 19-15, a half-game behind the Cards and the Nats are 20-15, a game behind the Phillies.

On the other hand, the Baltimore Orioles, Kansas City Royals, Pittsburgh Pirates and Seattle Mariners are losing. The Houston Astros, however, are in last place in the N.L. Central.

The Padres are 22-12, best in the N.L. West, the Reds are 19-15, a half-game behind the Cards and the Nats are 20-15, a game behind the Phillies.

On the other hand, the Baltimore Orioles, Kansas City Royals, Pittsburgh Pirates and Seattle Mariners are losing. The Houston Astros, however, are in last place in the N.L. Central.

Just further proof that even with the Yankees having by far the most money to spend/budget that with good ownership/management, and scouting you can still contend.

The Orioles when i was growing up as little boy used to be among the best run teams in MLB. Now since that clown Peter Aneglos took over as majority Owner this once proud team has now hit hard times. Ditto for the Pirates and Royals as well.

It's NATIONALS, not Senators.

Yay! :( Andy wins 7-1 to start 5-0 and improve to 234-135 (197-109 as a Yankee).

Maybe if there is one small thing about Andy, its' that he has only two - twenty wins seasons, but has six - fifteen wins seasons. Still, an excellent career and I'm happy he's on the brink of going 100 games over .500 and nearing 200 wins as a Yankee..

Awwww...The Mets lost today, 10 - 8, and were swept in a Four - Game series. The Mets lost Jon Niese to injury. The Marlins at one point led the game 7 - 0. The Mets came close to tying the game, but unfortunetely they did not.

Archived