MLB Baseball 2010 thread: The Regular Season

Shortline Bus

Actually Mr. Strasburg lost his first start on Wed Night (6/24/10)vs the Royals 1-0. Still he looked outstanding from the sportscenter highlights I seen this morning.

The Nats should have scored at least 1 run. There was a blown call when someone touched home before the catcher tagged him, but was ruled out.

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday, Edwin Jackson of the Arizona Diamondbacks pitched a no - hitter against his former team, the Tampa Bay Rays. He struck out 6, but he walked 8 (yes, 8) batters. He managed to induce 3 double plays. Jackson also threw 149 pitches. Arizona won the game 1 to 0. It's the second no - hitter in Dbacks history, after Randy Johnson's perfect game against the Braves in 2004. This game is the 4th no - hitter in the 2010 season.

The Mets won yesterday, 5 to 2 against the Twins. David Wright of the Mets homered, and so did Denard Span of the Twins. Wright drove in 2, and both Reyes and Bay each drove in a run. Mike Pelfrey struggled in the early going, but pitched 6 innings and got the win. Parnell and Feliciano pitched scoreless ball. K - Rod, as usual, made things hard for himself by walking two. He still got the save, though.

yeah, it's the second no hitter in diamondbacks history....

it's also the second time the Rays got no hit THIS SEASON.... so much for being such offensive juggernauts

L.M.F.A.O !

that said, I hope this ends the talks about the Rays winning the AL pennant.

yeah, it's the second no hitter in diamondbacks history....

it's also the second time the Rays got no hit THIS SEASON.... so much for being such offensive juggernauts

L.M.F.A.O !

that said, I hope this ends the talks about the Rays winning the AL pennant.

They also got no-hit last year by Mark Buherle.

The Tampa Bay Rays have been no - hit by:

1) Derek Lowe (BOS): April 27, 2001 10 - 0

2) Mark Buehrle (CHW): July 23, 2009 5 - 0 (Perfect Game)

3) Dallas Braden (OAK): May 9, 2010 4 - 0 (Perfect Game)

4) Edwin Jackson (ARI): June 25, 2010 1 - 0

Yanks and Dodgers play final game of their 3 game series shortly. Last Night LA beats NY 9-4.

And the Yankees come back from 6-2 down and win, 8-6. For a long while it seemed that Pettite's two bad innings, marked by sloppy defense and two throwing errors from the pitcher, would do the Yankees in at the hands of their former skipper. But A-Rod homered to cut a 5-0 deficit to 5-2. Then at 6-2 down in the top of the 9th the Yankees loaded the bases, and Robbie Cano, Chad Huffman, and Colin Curtis drove in the tying runs. Cano homered in the 10th to put the Yankees on top, and Mariano Rivera sealed the deal, pitching two innings and notching a W.

Brett Gardner had to leave the game after being plunked early, and Girardi sent in Huffman.... Pitching coach Dave Eiland returns to the team on Tuesday. Hopefully he will be able to fix whatever's wrong with Burnett.

And the Yankees come back from 6-2 down and win, 8-6. For a long while it seemed that Pettite's two bad innings, marked by sloppy defense and two throwing errors from the pitcher, would do the Yankees in at the hands of their former skipper. But A-Rod homered to cut a 5-0 deficit to 5-2. Then at 6-2 down in the top of the 9th the Yankees loaded the bases, and Robbie Cano, Chad Huffman, and Colin Curtis drove in the tying runs. Cano homered in the 10th to put the Yankees on top, and Mariano Rivera sealed the deal, pitching two innings and notching a W.

Brett Gardner had to leave the game after being plunked early, and Girardi sent in Huffman.... Pitching coach Dave Eiland returns to the team on Tuesday. Hopefully he will be able to fix whatever's wrong with Burnett.

Not, to get too off topic but the now disappered Forest Glen would right now would be hating Burnett and calling him a bomb.:)

Nice to see most of Friday and Sunday Night's Yanks/Dodgers games at Sold Out Dodger Stadium w/ a possible world series preview as the 2010 Interleague season comes to an end w/ last night games.

In tonight's games the highlight is Nats rookie sensation Strasburg pitching his biggest test of his rookie season as the DC club visits the Braves in Atlanta. Despite being in 1st place the Braves have been at best so-so at the attendence gate but a near sell out is expected tonight 6/28.

Also anyone seen the highlights of the near in game fights on the dugouts between Evan Longoria and BJ Upton of the Rays and also Carlos Zambrano and Lou Pinella of the Cubs over the weekend?

The Cubs have had one of their most disappointing seasons in their long recent history and if they were smart should consider trading Zambrano IMO.

Meanwhile the White Sox have been red hot and now back in AL Central race.

Some news for Met fans. Stephen Strasburg next start is on Sat. July 3rd at Nationals Park in DC vs the Nats. Fox-TV is trying a last minute switch to have Strasburg's next game on Fox's "game of the week' and shown most of the country.

So if you can get a Mega Bus or Bolt Bus ticket and can get what will be very hard to get tickets, it's worth the trip.:)

Last Night's game (6/28/10)the Mets get blown out vs. Marlins in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

The Marlins are receiving a new baseball only park within the city of Miami yet MLB is concerned about sparse crowds at Dolphin Stadium.

That's the reasoning for moving the Met series to Puerto Rico where the announced crowd in San Juan was 18,000.

Personally, I think the Marlins were messed up by original owner H. Wayne Huizenga just as I personally think the DiamondBacks were messed up by original owner Jerry Colangelo and manager Buck Showalter.

The Orioles have definately been messed up by owner Peter Angelos.

Baseball needs more owners like Mr. Steinbrenner, Mrs. Payson, Philip Wrigley, Tom Yawkey, John Fetzer, Gene Autry.

The Marlins are receiving a new baseball only park within the city of Miami yet MLB is concerned about sparse crowds at Dolphin Stadium.

That's the reasoning for moving the Met series to Puerto Rico where the announced crowd in San Juan was 18,000.

Personally, I think the Marlins were messed up by original owner H. Wayne Huizenga just as I personally think the DiamondBacks were messed up by original owner Jerry Colangelo and manager Buck Showalter.

The Orioles have definately been messed up by owner Peter Angelos.

Baseball needs more owners like Mr. Steinbrenner, Mrs. Payson, Philip Wrigley, Tom Yawkey, John Fetzer, Gene Autry.

Of those old school owners sorry to say but Mr. Yawkey was not a great owner and was probably a racist and I dont say it often trying to be like Rev. Al Sharpton. The Red Sox were the last MLB club to have Black and Latino players on their team and might have been a big reason why Boston made only a couple of world series berths between 1918-67. IMO being the last team to having players of 'color' on their team and also bad management/scouting was a bigger reason they had the 'curse' more than trading Babe Ruth.

Mr. Colangelo was a good Boss and let us not forget the D-Backs won the 2001 World Series, the fastest to date that a MLB expansion won a title in just their 4 season. In case of D Backs it was just their players on their 2001 championship got old and thus took them years to recover after making the 2004 playoffs.

Besides the Pirates and Royals Owners, the worst MLB bosses in last 20 years or so IMO is Peter Angelos and Mr. H. Wayne Huizenga. Huizenga almost forced the Marlins to leave South Fla. after the 1998-99 'firesell' in which almost all of the 1997 World Series winning Fish team was either traded or let go to free agency. Huizenga did the firesell for revenage to the City Of Miami in which either voters or the city council several times turned down a new baseball stadium for him. Now over 15 years, it finally be bulit.

And Angelos is also a terrible boss, since he became majority Owner in the late 1990's. He got rich as an Attorney but who is clueless as a baseball man that has not hired a good GM/Exec with free rein. Angelos has run to the ground a team that just 5-6 years ago was drawing 2.5 Million-3 Million fans a year to beautiful Camden Yards. When i was a little boy in the late 1970's/early '80's the O's was the best run club in MLB and now maybe the worst run team of the '4' major sports leagues.

Intresting points EE Local.:eek:

I don't deny Jerry Colangelo is good. The DiamondBacks got lucky and caught lightning in a bottle in 1998 when they scored big in the free agent market but the cost to sign those free agents and setting up some of the salaries on deferred payments set the club back a good deal when the payments came due.

You have a valid point about the Red Sox but to be honest, the Yankees were the next to last club when Ellie Howard came up on April 14, 1955.

I don't deny Jerry Colangelo is good. The DiamondBacks got lucky and caught lightning in a bottle in 1998 when they scored big in the free agent market but the cost to sign those free agents and setting up some of the salaries on deferred payments set the club back a good deal when the payments came due.

You have a valid point about the Red Sox but to be honest, the Yankees were the next to last club when Ellie Howard came up on April 14, 1955.

They(Arizona)IMO should have mixed in vets like Grace, Johnson and Schilling along with some great scouting as they would not had the fall off they had, after winning the title in '01.

Still for the nearly 15 years they been in existence, the D Back fans should be very happy with the mostly competitive teams, they had including several playoff and division titlles and of course capped by winning the 2001 World Series.

Yankees ran into 2 great pitchers,Cliff Lee and Felix Hernandez. I am surprised that the Mariners have been struggling all season long. They are like 13 games behind for the wild card. Looks like the Rays will be 2 games back from the Yanks. I still think that they will be in the wild card mix for the rest of the season. But for the AL East division it's a toss up between the Yanks and Red Sox who will both win 95+games.

Guest Charles
Yankees ran into 2 great pitchers,Cliff Lee and Felix Hernandez. I am surprised that the Mariners have been struggling all season long. They are like 13 games behind for the wild card.

You can have 2, or 5 great pitchers but if a team can't score, well, tough luck. Ichiro can't be hitting all by himself, you would've expected Seattle to be a major contender this year with acquisitions like Figgins but he aint hitting either...

Once they get Bedard back that will be a scary 1-2-3 punch...July will be a big month for them, whether they start inching their way back into the pennant race or trade away the big names. At least the AL West isn't a tough division.

:sigh: Not happy about the 2 losses and these two starters for the M's are a major threat. Last night the 'rules' messed up Hughes. I know they have to limit his outings, but Joba hasn't been the same since with what they did to him. Texas kinda has it right by letting their youngsters pitch till they no longer can't.

If the M's are somehow in the WC race, in a 5-game set I would have to say the M's would have the edge. I would not be surprised if they went all in for this season while they still have Lee. They sure as hell aren't going to be able to afford what Lee will want to stay there.

If Andy retires next year, for sure the Yankees will be expected to make at least a bid for Lee.

Oh of course, he's doing great now, but he's always flirting with retirement. But then again the Yankees could let Vazquez walk and then try for Lee.

But even though Vazquez gives up lots of homeruns, he does strike out a lot of people and gives the bullpen needed rest if he does well. For a line up like the Yankees have, they need to hit more. As much as pitching is important, it is useless if the hitting isn't on the same level.

Archived