MLB Baseball 2010 thread: The Regular Season

Shortline Bus

This should interest EE Local. For 2nd time in 2 years, the Diamondbacks have fired their skipper AJ Hinch and also the team GM in Phoenix. The new interim Manager for rest of season is former Tigers and Dodgers slugger Kirk Gibson. Also the new GM is Jerry DiPoto. The D Backs which were pre season picks in 2008 and 2009 by at least by some people in MLB to win the NL West by many people have struggled.

Is the D Backs Majority Owners Jeff Moorad and Ken Kendrick becoming the new George of the era?:eek:

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the DiamondBacks are struggling at 31-48 and in last place. Last season wasn't much better at 70-92 and last place. Maybe the thing that is surprising is that only two years ago Josh Byrnes was so coveted as a GM that the DiamondBacks gave him an eight year contract extension.

Then, things were looking good: the DiamondBacks won the N.L. West with 90-72 and reached the N.L.C.S.. In 2008 the DiamondBacks collapsed though they finished second with 82-80.

As I said earlier, the DiamondBacks got lucky and caught lightning in a bottle in 1999. Five good years followed but the cost to sign the free agents and the way the deferred payments were set up set this franchise back. It happened in 2004 with a 51-111 season and the second era ran only two years (2007-2008). It's going to take time to get this franchise back on track.

And the games can be as low as 2hrs if the pitchers on both teams gets quick outs. The commercials would be the only things long about that type of game.

:sigh: Seems like Toronto has the Yankees' number this year. A well pitched game only for the pen to blow it. Joba is just terrible. If not for Gardner's stellar catch, that might've been the other run to give the Jays the win.

A well pitched game

After six bad outings it was time for Burnett to have a good start. Is it a coincidence that all those bad starts were while Eiland was away?

only for the pen to blow it.

And with that Boston is only a half game back.

I hope Jerry Manuel know what he's doing, becuase he's got a new call up catching Dickey.

----

Though, this kid is making Strasburg work.

And Thole is 2-3 2 rbi's so far in the game, he will be 24 in October,he played in 17 games for the Mets last season.

Going to be nervous in the bottom of the 9th inning, all Mets-Nats

games are close.

B) Andy wins to improve to 10-2. With this win, Andy improves to 239-137 Career and 202-111 as a Yankee.

Despite their long and excellent history, Andy is only the third Yankee to win 200 games. He is now only behind The Chairman Of The Board (Whitey Ford) with 236 and Red Ruffing with 231.

Andy pitched six nice innings, allowing 5 hits, a base on balls and 3 earned runs. His E.R.A. is still nice at 2.82 on the season. He allowed 2 home runs.

With ten wins, Andy keeps pace with C.C. and Phil Hughes for co-team lead in 2010.

Keep up the good work, Andy! B)

Guest Charles

I think I now know why K-Rod does all those fancy finger-pointing celebrations to the sky after he gets a save. It's because him recognizing divine intervention.

Here is the tenative 2010 American League All star team. A 'final' list of the AL team will be made next Sunday after some minor changes due mainly to injuries takes hold including the 'starting' Pitcher. NL to follow.

Starters

C Joe Mauer Twins

1B Justin Morneau Twins

2B Robinson Cano Yankees

3B Evan Longoria Rays

SS Derek Jeter Yankees

OF Ichiro Suzuki Mariners

OF Josh Hamilton Rangers

OF Carl Crawford Rays

DH Vladimir Guerrero Angels

AL Reserves

HP CC Sabathia Yankees

RHP Clay Buchholz Red Sox

RHP Fausto Carmona Indians

RHP Phil Hughes Yankees

RHP Mariano Rivera Yankees

LHP Jon Lester Red Sox

LHP David Price Rays

RHP Neftali Feliz Rangers

LHP Matt Thornton White So

RHP Jose Valverde Tigers

LHP Cliff Lee Mariners

RHP Trevor Cahill Athletics

RHP Joakim Soria Royals

IF Ty Wigginton Orioles

3B Adrian Beltre Red Sox

DH David Ortiz Red Sox

1B Miguel Cabrera Tigers

CF Torii Hunter Angels

3B Alex Rodriguez Yankees

SS Elvis Andrus Rangers

2B Ian Kinsler* Rangers

UT INF. Jose Bautista Blue Jays

C John Buck* Blue Jays

CF Vernon Wells Blue Jays

RHP Jose Valverde Tigers

LHP Cliff Lee Mariners

RHP Trevor Cahill Athletics

RHP Joakim Soria Royals

IF Ty Wigginton Orioles

3B Adrian Beltre Red Sox

Reactions?:eek:

Guest Charles

^^ Let's see off the top of my head...

Mauer-Morneau is going to dominate the Twins franchise, they're probably even better than the Ortiz-Ramirez combo that Boston had --- I think Mauer still doesn't get enough credit for what he does. Only question I have is why Morneau, not Cabrera is starting at 1B

Who's the AL Starter going to be? It has got to be Cliff Lee. Why the hell is Carmona on that list??? Also, I'm surprised Hughes, not Pettitte got the call...who knows what lies ahead for Pettitte, but Hughes has many many years in front of him.

heh the lone White Sox representative is their setup man...wonder what Ozzie's reaction's gonna be...

..the DH, Ortiz, wtf...Matsui should be up there w/ Guerrero...speaking of the DH i can't believe Griffey wasn't voted it lol...I legit wanted to see Junior play in one more all star game

Before the NL List comes out, I just want to say...Strasburg better be in it!! To all those who say he needs to "earn" his way in....tough luck! A phenom deserves to show off his talents to the best in the business. He's the "nation's great hope" <-- if you get what I mean by that.

Now the all star picks for the National League. Note Stephen Strasburg does not make the team and may make the club only as last minute replacement.

National League

* -- Signifies player who replaced original selection on the roster. (Jose Reyes replaces Troy Tulowitzki.)

Starters

1B Albert Pujolis Cardinals

2B Chase Utley Phillies*(injured)

3B David Wright Mets

SS Hanley Ramirez Marlins

OF Ryan Braun Brewers

OF Jason Heyward Braves

OF Andre Ethier Dodgers

NL Reserves

RHP Roy Halladay Phillies

RHP Josh Johnson Marlins

RHP Tim Lincecum Giants

RHP Tim Hudson Braves

RHP Jonathan Broxton Dodgers

LHP Arthur Rhodes Reds

RHP Adam Wainwright Cardinals

RHP Chris Carpenter Cardinals

RHP Brian Wilson Giants

RHP Evan Meek Pirates

RHP Ubaldo Jimenez Rockies

RHP Matt Capps Nationals

RHP Yovani Gallardo Brewers

CF Chris Young Diamondbacks

IF Omar Infante Braves

C Brian McCann Braves

2B Martin Prado Braves

CF Marlon Byrd Cubs

2B Brandon Phillips Reds

3B Scott Rolen Reds

CF Michael Bourn Astros

RF Corey Hart Brewers

SS Jose Reyes* Mets

1B Ryan Howard Phillies

LF Matt Holliday Cardinals

1B Adrian Gonzalez Padres

After six bad outings it was time for Burnett to have a good start. Is it a coincidence that all those bad starts were while Eiland was away?

And with that Boston is only a half game back.

Yup, all goes to the 'mental' aspect.

I never expected them to surge back the way they did. I would've thought this year would be just the Rays and Yanks. But as long as it's the Rays and Sox fighting for the WC, I don't care which one ends up on top.

=

For the AS roster, not surprised to see Hughes listed This is indeed a breakout year for him. I do think that Andy should've gone instead.

For the last outfielder, that would be so awesome if Swisher is voted in. Now that's a 'character'.

-

@Charles, totally agreed with you about your opinions about the AS roster. Hughes over Andy? Hughes is on an innings limit. Even for one inning, this is going to further add to his limits which makes no sense.

I think I now know why K-Rod does all those fancy finger-pointing celebrations to the sky after he gets a save. It's because him recognizing divine intervention.

The reason why he does that is because of his grandfather who he was close to passed away several years ago, you wouldn't dare say that to his face though because one time Brian Bruney said something stupid about his finger pointing and he would have kicked his ass if he wasn't restrained by his teammates.

Shortline Bus: I stopped watching the All-Star game when I was 15 yrs old. It is like watching a spring training game but with great players. I believe they show the Cyclones and S.I. Yankee games during the break on TV.

I agree Locomotion. I only watch a few innings of the game myself. In recent years the only ASG i watched almost the entire game was the one a couple of years ago at Old Yankee Stadium.

And i really dislike Bud Selig making the ASG count for Home field in the world series. Hello! What about 'seeding' like in the playoffs in every other sport ie NBA and NHL and give Home field/Game 7 of world series w/ teams based on better regular season records.

Bud Don't insult us with the crappy answer you given 'we need weeks for booking a hotel" there is a will and a way it's called online booking and do it as soon as you found out what are the '8' teams in the playoffs usually by around Oct. 1.

Just admit Bud you do the 'home field' in world series scam for more money in ASG from Fox-TV.

Guest Charles
The reason why he does that is because of his grandfather who he was close to passed away several years ago, you wouldn't dare say that to his face though because one time Brian Bruney said something stupid about his finger pointing and he would have kicked his ass if he wasn't restrained by his teammates.

If its about that then I take my comments back. Either way you can't help but wonder if he's still got the same electric stuff as he did years ago.

:) Andy is an A.L. All-Star for the third time. Andy replaces injured Red Sox starter Clay Bucholz for next Tuesday night's game in Anaheim.

Andy also was an A.L. All-Star in 1996 and 2001.

After their slow starts in April, the Mets, Red Sox, White Sox, Angels and Dodgers have pushed themselves into the pennant races while the Reds (48-36) and Padres (49-33) continue to win.

Two teams that were mainstays in the late 1990's - the Braves and the Rangers are currently leading their divisions with the Rangers at 48-34 and the Braves at 48-35.

At the July 4th Marker: Best team in baseball: The Yankees 51-31 20 games over .500

(National League Best: The Padres 49-33 16 games over .500)

Worst team in baseball: The Orioles 25-57 22 games under .500

(National League Worst: The Pirates 30-52 22 games under .500)

Seventeen teams over .500 Thirteen teams under .500.

Archived