BM5 to make stops within Queens

BusOperator3319

Effective as of Spring 2010 the BM5 will begin making stops within the Borough of Queens both Pick up and Drop off the 3 stops are at the intersections of Cross Bay Blvd & Pitkin Ave, Woodhaven Blvd & Forest Park Dr, and Woodhaven Blvd & Metropolitan Ave I picked up the new schedule today any thoughts

I for one think with this change the designation should be changed back to BQM1 or to X

Schedule is not yet updated on MTA.info

What?!?!?!

I never read about this in those MTAB committee meeting material packets...

The Q6LTD and Q102 routing change are supposed to start now, schedules aren't up yet.

Better work on my schedule download/update program now!

I always wondered why the BM5 went up and down Woodhaven Blvd couldn't they take the BQE or somethin ?

To bypass the Prospect Expressway in Brooklyn. IDK how much faster the route is over the BM2 though. I think this is a good move as it gives the BM5 more ridership.

What?!?!?!

I never read about this in those MTAB committee meeting material packets...

The Q6LTD and Q102 routing change are supposed to start now, schedules aren't up yet.

Better work on my schedule download/update program now!

I don't know how or why it came about but it definitely is happening no route signage at the stops yet

To bypass the Prospect Expressway in Brooklyn. IDK how much faster the route is over the BM2 though. I think this is a good move as it gives the BM5 more ridership.
I agree and if those three stops are open door it will give those the chance to utilize their transfer for West MidTown service no more getting off in Manhattan waiting for the local bus to go across town once in Manhattan but I don't think that is likely to happen

But this robs the QM15 and the QM12 (Woodhaven and Metropolitan stop) of ridership. The QM15 and the QM12 is the more successful of the three routes. This shows that MTA is stupid and brainless. Even cavemen are more smart and a drunk homeless guy can come up with better ideas than the MTA.

But this robs the QM15 and the QM12 (Woodhaven and Metropolitan stop) of ridership. The QM15 and the QM12 is the more successful of the three routes. This shows that MTA is stupid and brainless. Even cavemen are more smart and a drunk homeless guy can come up with better ideas than the MTA.

Well it's only three stops. And it can help those who want access to Brooklyn from Queens or vice versa.

canttellifsrs

Even if the riders shifted over to the BM5 then it's not like the (MTA) is losing any money since the same amount of money in fares is being collected. Apart from riders who see the BM5 as more a convenient way to their destination, the QM12 and QM15 will not lose any ridership. Now let's see you come up with better ideas to improve service since the (MTA) is so braindead and can't design transit lines for life.

I always wondered why the BM5 went up and down Woodhaven Blvd couldn't they take the BQE or somethin ?

The BQE cuts through greenpoint & williamsburg (and eventually spills into the gowanus anyway... lol)....

that does nothin for people living on the total opposite side of Brooklyn (with which the BM5 currently serves )...

to where? starrett city? b/c there's no other common point in brooklyn where those 2 routes hook up at (to make a comparison of/from)....

the BM5 easily gets to starrett city before the BM2 does... for a few reasons:

- BM2 has a much higher concentration of riders

- BM2 has a higher # of riders per stop (meaning, it starts/stops more often... this eats up time..)

- simply put, the BM2 has more stops... lol...

- BM2 is far more prone to (and often does) gettin stuck in traffic jams (plural; as in, at different portions of the route) moreover than the BM5 does....

- BM5 only serves midtown....

...takin the best case scenario (of the BM2's), even the lower manhattan only version of the BM2 (which gets out of manhattan fairly quickly I might add) still have to swing from one end of Brooklyn to the other (via it's current routing)....

But this robs the QM15 of ridership. The QM15 is the more successful of the two. This shows that MTA is stupid and brainless. Even cavemen are more smart and a drunk homeless guy can come up with better ideas than the MTA.

Before I commented on the other 2 posts, this is pretty much what I was going to say (just the first two phrases... lol).... QM15 is similar to the BM2 in that, riders get on/off at random points (stops) along the route; it's not like swarms of ppl. only utilize a certain handful of stops...

and wtf @ the stop selection....

- cross bay/pitkin... if they realize current qm15 trends, ppl. that are left over on those buses at & after (south of) that point, are traveling w/i to Lindenwood...

they'd have been better off putting that stop on Liberty...

- forest park drive... rather random if you ask me... a rider may as well take the QM15 for local express service along Woodhaven...

^ edit: I say "local express" b/c I'm so used to taking the QM16... and watching the QM15 make the # of stops that it does along Woodhaven... so sry. for the confusion

only stop out of the three that make any type of sense to add, is the Metro. av stop.... Still though, I don't see this doing much for the BM5... if anything, it's making the ride for Brooklyn riders a tad-bit longer...

The way I see it, I think there's some other ulterior motive as to why they're now adding stops on the BM5... and it don't have nothin to do with (tryin to) make that route more useful.

Regardless of my thoughts, thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I agree and if those three stops are open door it will give those the chance to utilize their transfer for West MidTown service no more getting off in Manhattan waiting for the local bus to go across town once in Manhattan but I don't think that is likely to happen

Much as I feel the BM5 is a waste, this move to add some stops in Queens sounds good and will hopefully make better use of those buses heading into Midtown.

While I agree w/ the second sentence of this statement, still should've kept the original post as stating the QM15 only....

This change would do zilch for QM12 ridership... Those residents wont abandon "their" route, with a route coming from *gasp*, Brooklyn (from their p.o.v., that is)... that, and those riders have gotten attached to a) the "qm12" notation, and :o the particular b/o of the run they embark on everyday....

heading outbound, by time the QM12 gets off Yellowstone, buses have emptied out for the most part anyway....

While I agree w/ the second sentence of this statement, still should've kept the original post as stating the QM15 only....

This change would do zilch for QM12 ridership... Those residents wont abandon "their" route, with a route coming from *gasp*, Brooklyn (from their p.o.v., that is)... that, and those riders have gotten attached to a) the "qm12" notation, and :o the particular b/o of the run they embark on everyday....

heading outbound, by time the QM12 gets off Yellowstone, buses have emptied out for the most part anyway....

But it is like regular express compared to the super express. Look at the QM1A, QM2, and QM2A they all flock to the super express because it faster while the regular 6th Avenue buses sometimes carry few people and you will have people, just like in the subway that would wait forever for the express (the BM5) rather than the slower local (QM12 or QM15).

I was talking specifically about the super express trips because people take the super because it is faster during the rush

The super express is faster on the QM1/A, but there are only like 5 of them during the course of the entire day, most coming from downtown/wall street run back to Queens...Its not like there are huge crowds pushing to get on these lol

Those buses are always just as packed as the normal ones, since most people cannot plan to leave work at exactly 5 pm, which is around when most of them leave. Usually people are just pleasantly surprised if the SX shows up, but they'll take whatever comes first.

But it is like regular express compared to the super express. Look at the QM1A, QM2, and QM2A they all flock to the super express because it faster while the regular 6th Avenue buses sometimes carry few people and you will have people, just like in the subway that would wait forever for the express (the BM5) rather than the slower local (QM12 or QM15).

I know what you're trying to convey... However, it is not the case when it comes to express buses... at all...

there aren't that much more people on the BM1-4 "super expresses", than there are on the regular BM1-4... same deal goes for the queens "super expresses".... hell, also the same deal when the bxm4b had that "super express".... as was said, people take w/e comes; if it's a "super express" (while still stopping at their stop regardless), so be it.

people letting regular expresses go, for "super expresses", is a fallacy.

The QM1 and QM1A are crowded because they go to a more popular destination than the other Queens express buses, not because they are "Super Express"...

I think the majority of the reason why the QM1 and QM1A are hugely popular because they service the parts of Queens that are far from the Subway (Unlike QM23 or BXM11)...which is when Express buses are the most attractive....1 seat ride to manhattan in probably a shorter time then taking the Q46 to Union TPK (E)(F) and having to jam into crushloaded trains.

I think the majority of the reason why the QM1 and QM1A are hugely popular because they service the parts of Queens that are far from the Subway (Unlike QM23 or BXM11)...which is when Express buses are the most attractive....1 seat ride to manhattan in probably a shorter time then taking the Q46 to Union TPK (E)(F) and having to jam into crushloaded trains.

Exactly, especially in rush hour where you essentially get a guarenteed comfy seat with a light and a/c vent (and the underratedly awesome luggage racks) versus probably not getting a seat on either the 46 or the (E)/(F).

Also, the QM1/A starts letting you off in the the 30's in Manhattan or totally downtown versus the 50's and 60's, which makes it faster for those working in the midtown/dowtntown area.

While i am not a fan of the BM5 stopping in Queens, i agree with B35, it's (MTA) bus to try to gain riders for the BM5 running 6 days a week or else it either reduced to a rush hour only line or even gone for good.

A better way for the (MTA) would be to create 'limited' Saturday service on the Rockaways QM16/17 lines than this option imo. During 1-2 trips in AM rush, and PM rush to Spring Creek, I would still in peak direction run the BM5 if ridership is there to run Non stop between Liberty/Cross Bay and Manhattan.:confused:

I think that Joseph Smith the current President/Director or w/e his title as (MTA) Bus/NYCT Buses and his staff created this extra stops as 'alternative' to adding off peak BM5 to the death list in a possible round 2 of doomsday cuts as well if budget crisis continues to get worse.

If the BM5 did need to make stop in Queens I also second B35, 110% and the only added stops/drop offs should be the following.

1)Liberty/Cross Bay(pick up)

Liberty/Woodhaven (drop off) as 'alternative' to (A) riders whenever there a "GO" or service not running due to emgerency.

2)Metro Ave/Woodhaven.

The BM5 does not need to make all the stops as the QM15 and several other express buses serve the length of Cross Bay/Woodhaven. Not to mention riders can use the Q11/53 and transfer either at Liberty or Metro for the BM5.

Just my takes on the BM5 change.;)

Archived