B51 Question

Forest Glen

The B51 is facing extinction in June. I want to do a little tribute. I'm going to ride it across the Manhattan Bridge and make a video. In the PM rush hour does the Brooklyn-bound B51 use the upper or lower level?

The only time I've rode the B51 was during the p.m. rush and it did use the upper level but this was back in September of 2007.

The B51 is facing extinction in June. I want to do a little tribute. I'm going to ride it across the Manhattan Bridge and make a video. In the PM rush hour does the Brooklyn-bound B51 use the upper or lower level?

All Brooklyn bound B51's use the Upper level.

((FYI, The lower level of the Manhattan bridge is one-way, towards Manhattan...))

The last time I took a manhattan bound B51, it took the upper level... this was a couple years back; probably in 06/07....

Fast forward to the present...

I've seen more than my fair share of manhattan bound B51's (this year alone) runnin adjacent to the (:P train I'm on in the morning... of course, it always smokes (passes) the train I'm on, gettin to the other end of the bridge first, but that's somethin else...

....the notion that there's never been a time B51's used the lower level, is false, bro.....

I plan to ride all low ridership buses before it going to become extinct.

I think B51 used upper level when I took on New Flyer CNG.

Wow you took the idea right out of my mouth.Everyone should pick a near-extinct route and document it.And a railfan trip should be planned for the final ride for the (M2)(V) and (W)

((FYI, The lower level of the Manhattan bridge is one-way, towards Manhattan...))

It actually depends on the time of day. In the afternoons, its one-way towards Brooklyn

Wow you took the idea right out of my mouth.Everyone should pick a near-extinct route and document it.And a railfan trip should be planned for the final ride for the (M2)(V) and (W)

I was gonna do the (M2) and the B39

Are you even allowed to have photographing/videorecording devices out while on a bridge?

The MTA Bridges and Tunnels have signs prohibiting photography. Not sure if the NYCDOT bridges have them, I know the Queensboro LL doesn't, though.

Manhattan Bound & Brooklyn Bound B51s uses the upper level. I dont think there has ever been a time where a B51 ran on the lower level of the bridge.

Actually it does use the lower level in the morning at least Manhattan bound.I rode it a couple of times last summer while working the 10am-5pm shift.(1)(A)(C)

But it's not like they can do much to stop you can they? I mean what if there's a tourist walking the Manhattan bridge taking pics of Lower Manhattan? I mean it's not like the cameras are going to alert the cops to close off the ends are they?

Took the words right out of my mouth. Plus I always see cops along the bridges and they dont say a thing to tourists, especially when I was filming the (N) & (Q) trains going along the bridge, they didnt say a thing!

Actually it does use the lower level in the morning at least Manhattan bound.I rode it a couple of times last summer while working the 10am-5pm shift.(1)(A)(C)

Interesting, but lately, I havent seen it use the lower level in a long while in the AM.

Archived