B64 and B1 rerouting?

R32 Anthony

I was at Home Depot in Staten Island the other day. I ran into a bus driver I know who drives the B64. He told me that The B1 and B64 bus routes are changing. Has anyone else heard about this, and if so, let me know. A lot of seniors ride the B64 and a change in the route will make many of them angry.

that's correct. at 13th ave & 86th st they are suppose to swap.. Also I believe the B64 will be ending at Cropsey & 25th ave and go out to Coney Island anymore.. I could be wrong but I believe I read that in the cuts summary/revision..

that's correct. at 13th ave & 86th st they are suppose to swap.. Also I believe the B64 will be ending at Cropsey & 25th ave and go out to Coney Island anymore.. I could be wrong but I believe I read that in the cuts summary/revision..

That's true as well. So people who have to go to Coney Island would have to transfer to the B82 at Bay Pkwy or 25th Av.

I was at Home Depot in Staten Island the other day. I ran into a bus driver I know who drives the B64. He told me that The B1 and B64 bus routes are changing. Has anyone else heard about this, and if so, let me know. A lot of seniors ride the B64 and a change in the route will make many of them angry.

Yes they are changing . there alot of changes being made in upk . i was on 4327 3 weeks ago pulling in the yard and i was notified that they will be switching up lines and doing work in the yard . in the yard there will be a line in rows of mcis and the other side will be the rts novas .

That's true as well. So people who have to go to Coney Island would have to transfer to the B82 at Bay Pkwy or 25th Av.

Which makes one wonder if the concept of interlining will finally come to Brooklyn. The new B64 could interline with the B3, B6, and B82 (all of which end at UP, although the B82 is currently assigned to East New York).

The upcoming B1 service though is long overdue by at least 2 decades. As for the B64, I would be shocked if there were not major headway reductions as a result (to 20-30 minutes) and eventually major reductions in Sunday service hours. The B64 will essentially become a version of the B4, not serving major commercial strips.

Why do the B1 and B64 have to swap routes? I don't know if this is going to go well with riders in Brooklyn along those lines.

So that B1 customers do not have to transfer to reach the Bay Ridge central business district; this has been proposed for a few decades now.

So that B1 customers do not have to transfer to reach the Bay Ridge central business district; this has been proposed for a few decades now.

According to the MTA, it is to save money by having the B1 (which runs more frequently) run a shorter route.

Think about it this way: Forget about the eastern portion of the 2 services. From 86th Street/13th Avenue, you are running the B64 every 10 minutes approximately one more mile to 4th Avenue. You are running the B1 about 2.5 more miles to Shore Road/Bay Ridge Avenue every 7-8 minutes.

Basically, the B64 runs 6 buses per hour (BPH) and the B1 runs 8 buses per hour (BPH). Right now the B1 runs 8*2.5= 20 bus-miles (I don't know how to phrase it) and the B64 runs 6*1= 6 bus-miles. 20 plus 6 = 26.

Under the MTA's plan, the B64 would run 6*2.5 = 15 bus-miles and the B1 would run 8*1 = 8 bus-miles. 15 plus 8 = 23.

Basically, the MTA saves the cost of driving one bus for three miles for every hour this service is running.

According to the MTA, it is to save money by having the B1 (which runs more frequently) run a shorter route.

Think about it this way: Forget about the eastern portion of the 2 services. From 86th Street/13th Avenue, you are running the B64 every 10 minutes approximately one more mile to 4th Avenue. You are running the B1 about 2.5 more miles to Shore Road/Bay Ridge Avenue every 7-8 minutes.

Basically, the B64 runs 6 buses per hour (BPH) and the B1 runs 8 buses per hour (BPH). Right now the B1 runs 8*2.5= 20 bus-miles (I don't know how to phrase it) and the B64 runs 6*1= 6 bus-miles. 20 plus 6 = 26.

Under the MTA's plan, the B64 would run 6*2.5 = 15 bus-miles and the B1 would run 8*1 = 8 bus-miles. 15 plus 8 = 23.

Basically, the MTA saves the cost of driving one bus for three miles for every hour this service is running.

Basically, you are correct, but the savings are only an estimate because now during school open there are many B1 buses operating only between 86th and 13th to Manhattan Beach, so those trips won't be affected and there will be no savings there. I also think that many B64 riders will be shifted from the B64 to the B1 causing additional buses to be put on the B1, further cutting into the savings. On the other hand, B64 service will be further reduced due to declining ridership, and I believe they are making the swap to intentionally kill the Bath Avenue service entirely, eventually running the B64 just as a short route from Shore Rd to 13th and 86th Street or maybe to Cropsey. Also, with less service aong Bay Ridge Avenue, I wonder if they will have to run extras from Shore Road to Bay Ridge and 13th Avenue.

I do agree with you that the MTA could be trying to get rid of Bath Avenue service. The reason being not the B1/B64 swap but the shortening of the B64 to Harway/25th Avenues.

Now that eliminates access from Bay Ridge to Coney Island. Before, the riders could transfer to the B64 at 13th Avenue/86th Street for CI access, but now that adds a third transfer (to the B82) to their trip. If there is a next round of service cuts, the MTA will say that nobody uses the B64 on Bath Avenue because the transfer to the B82 lessens the ridership. Then they'll say that the (D) train is close enough to the B64 on Bath Avenue and offers parallel service to Coney Island and that the B64 is redundant.

To me it seemed like a good idea to run the B64 the way it currently is, as it allows (R) train riders access to Coney Island, in addition to Staten Island riders transferring from the S53/S79/S93. The elimination of Bath Avenue service seems the only logical motive for this plan.

Here link to the changes.

http://mta.info/news/pdf/NYCT_Revised_Service_Changes.pdf

Also dont forget the big changes to the B4, B37, B70 along with ending all B8's at the Brooklyn VA Medical Center at Cropsey and 7th Ave in Dyker Heights as well.

I do agree with you that the MTA could be trying to get rid of Bath Avenue service. The reason being not the B1/B64 swap but the shortening of the B64 to Harway/25th Avenues.

Now that eliminates access from Bay Ridge to Coney Island. Before, the riders could transfer to the B64 at 13th Avenue/86th Street for CI access, but now that adds a third transfer (to the B82) to their trip. If there is a next round of service cuts, the MTA will say that nobody uses the B64 on Bath Avenue because the transfer to the B82 lessens the ridership. Then they'll say that the (D) train is close enough to the B64 on Bath Avenue and offers parallel service to Coney Island and that the B64 is redundant.

To me it seemed like a good idea to run the B64 the way it currently is, as it allows (R) train riders access to Coney Island, in addition to Staten Island riders transferring from the S53/S79/S93. The elimination of Bath Avenue service seems the only logical motive for this plan.

The other bad thing about the switch at 13th Avenue is that Bath Avenue riders will have a 10 or 15 minute longer ride to the R train. Most will walk the extra two blocks and just take the B1 overloading it. Those south of Bath Avenue are really screwed because they won't even have the option of using the B8 to go the 95th Street anymore. As I previously stated, the 86th Street route is a good idea but it shouldn't be done at the expense of the B64. They just don't want two routes operating two blocks apart, so they are killing the B64.

all this to appease 86th st riders while saving money, is what it boils down to.... it's always about that almighty (declining in value) dollar....

sure the commercial strip is booming down there lately (which would explain the sudden increase in B64 ridership)... but newsflash MTA, riders have to GET to these stores first... I wouldn't even suggest someone walk from Benson av to 86th, let alone Bath & Cropsey av's.... those blocks are long...

If it aint broke, don't fix it... there's no one that can tell me a sensible reason why you extend the B8 to 95th st (R) - only to have (all B8's) cut it back to VA hosp after the fact.... B8's pick up a decent amt. of riders @ that 92nd st stop too.. it wadn't like the extension was a failure or somethin....

...and the 82... it seems like more & more buses are ending @ UP depot (25th/cropsey), at a decreased rate too... before, it would be, for every B6, there'd be an 82... now it's like, for every other 2 B6's, there's a B82.... the b/o's of the 82's that go to Stillwell, they take long layovers too... last 3 times I had to go to CI (and decided to take the B82), I waited at least 10 mins before the b/o came back to the bus.... that wasn't always the case... so somethin's goin on, regarding that route also...

all this to appease 86th st riders while saving money, is what it boils down to.... it's always about that almighty (declining in value) dollar....

sure the commercial strip is booming down there lately (which would explain the sudden increase in B64 ridership)... but newsflash MTA, riders have to GET to these stores first... I wouldn't even suggest someone walk from Benson av to 86th, let alone Bath & Cropsey av's.... those blocks are long...

If it aint broke, don't fix it... there's no one that can tell me a sensible reason why you extend the B8 to 95th st (R) - only to have (all B8's) cut it back to VA hosp after the fact.... B8's pick up a decent amt. of riders @ that 92nd st stop too.. it wadn't like the extension was a failure or somethin....

...and the 82... it seems like more & more buses are ending @ UP depot (25th/cropsey), at a decreased rate too... before, it would be, for every B6, there'd be an 82... now it's like, for every other 2 B6's, there's a B82.... the b/o's of the 82's that go to Stillwell, they take long layovers too... last 3 times I had to go to CI (and decided to take the B82), I waited at least 10 mins before the b/o came back to the bus.... that wasn't always the case... so somethin's goin on, regarding that route also...

I think you waited a long time for the B82 is because every other B82 terminates I think the same place where the B6 terminates in Bensonhurst, so that's a possible reason.

I think you waited a long time for the B82 is because every other B82 terminates I think the same place where the B6 terminates in Bensonhurst, so that's a possible reason.

oh I understand that... that's what I meant, when I said B82's are ending over there @ 25th/cropsey (which is where the B6 terminates)

what I'm saying is:

a) there's less buses that's serving coney island now, and

B) the wait times for buses to pull out of stillwell, have increased...

I (foolishly) went to Nathan's this past tuesday... while getting off the x29, there was a B82 waiting at it's terminal (powered off)... after a 10 min. wait on the line to get our food (I was w/ a friend), that same bus was still there... 10 mins. after that, the b/o casually walks to the bus, waits about 3 more mins. before he lets me on the bus.... While I don't know how long the bus was sitting there, I can tell you it was almost 15 minutes b/w the time I got to the stop, and when we finally pulled off....

I kept telling myself take the 36... take the 36...

Stood there and watched 3 Sheepshead bound 36's whizz by... thing is though, I really didn't feel like taking the 44 afterwards....

---------

the time before that, waiting for an 82... I stood at that bus shelter 10 mins. before a bus even showed up! never mind the layover time that came afterwards...

this is on a weekday... the B82 b/w 7:30-8pm...

Wow. And this is what they want B64 riders to do: transfer to a B82 when only half of them go to Coney Island. That or go up the stairs at Bay 50th Street. The more posts I read on this thread (between your posts and BrooklynBus's posts), the more it makes sense that the MTA is trying to eliminate Bath Avenue service.

oh I understand that... that's what I meant, when I said B82's are ending over there @ 25th/cropsey (which is where the B6 terminates)

what I'm saying is:

a) there's less buses that's serving coney island now, and

B) the wait times for buses to pull out of stillwell, have increased...

I (foolishly) went to Nathan's this past tuesday... while getting off the x29, there was a B82 waiting at it's terminal (powered off)... after a 10 min. wait on the line to get our food (I was w/ a friend), that same bus was still there... 10 mins. after that, the b/o casually walks to the bus, waits about 3 more mins. before he lets me on the bus.... While I don't know how long the bus was sitting there, I can tell you it was almost 15 minutes b/w the time I got to the stop, and when we finally pulled off....

I kept telling myself take the 36... take the 36...

Stood there and watched 3 Sheepshead bound 36's whizz by... thing is though, I really didn't feel like taking the 44 afterwards....

---------

the time before that, waiting for an 82... I stood at that bus shelter 10 mins. before a bus even showed up! never mind the layover time that came afterwards...

this is on a weekday... the B82 b/w 7:30-8pm...

This time I find myself agreeing with your posts. The only thing I could add is that in the MTA's defense (which I rarely do), perhaps they've increased the layover at Coney Island to increase reliability due to variable road conditions, and the days you observed were one where traffic delays didn't materialize, hence the seemingly long layovers. At least I hope that is the case.

After i think after 10pm until 7am weekdays and 8pm-8am weekends, all of the B82's runs the full route between Stillwell and Spring Creek/Starret City. Correct me guys if am wrong.

Archived