Wal-Mart eyeing Brooklyn shopping center for it's first store in NYC

Shortline Bus

What the f_ck is that supposed to mean? If people can't read, HOW WOULD THEY REPLY TO POSTS ON THIS FORUM???

Actually, fordhamkid has a point. Why did the R160s go on the (E) first?

Wasn't the (E) like 95% R32, the oldest cars in the system I believe which is kinda effed up (for lack of better term) don't you think. That's probably why they went to the (E) first. IDC I don't use the subway anyways.

Where the idea of Queens always b*tching came from I don't know but its BS.

Back to the regularly schedule programming. I think Brooklyn would be perfect since every other borough leads to somewhere else (ex. BX to Westchester, Queens to Long Island, etc.), the average Brooklynite would have to travel further.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Brooklyn would be perfect since every other borough leads to somewhere else (ex. BX to Westchester, Queens to Long Island, etc.), the average Brooklynite would have to travel further.

Maybe here? (it would work because the parking lot is well-sized).

[GMAPS]<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&q=Brooklyn,+Kings,+New+York&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=40.545434,56.513672&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=FRBFbAId0JyX-w&split=0&hq=&hnear=Brooklyn,+Kings,+New+York&ll=40.65,-73.95&spn=0.004754,0.006899&z=17&layer=c&cbll=40.646583,-73.95668&panoid=eHuynQh8mWBjnlauvRXpDQ&cbp=12,159.41,,0,4.93&output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&q=Brooklyn,+Kings,+New+York&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=40.545434,56.513672&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=FRBFbAId0JyX-w&split=0&hq=&hnear=Brooklyn,+Kings,+New+York&ll=40.65,-73.95&spn=0.004754,0.006899&z=17&layer=c&cbll=40.646583,-73.95668&panoid=eHuynQh8mWBjnlauvRXpDQ&cbp=12,159.41,,0,4.93" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>[/GMAPS]

What the f_ck is that supposed to mean? If people can't read, HOW WOULD THEY REPLY TO POSTS ON THIS FORUM???

I'm really getting sick of this crap. All of the ghetto hoodlums from Crooklyn should just STFU and stop dissing Queens.

At least the people in Queens can read

And??

incorrect

You haven't changed yet. You're the new Tony Clifton of NYCTF.

Cuz Queens residents b*tched their asses off for em that's why. They're too damn ungrateful. Just like the idiots who live in Middle Village and Glendale who just so LOVE the new (M) they're getting...I can't wait for it to fail.

I'm really getting sick of this crap. All of the ghetto hoodlums from Crooklyn should just STFU and stop dissing Queens.

Stop evading the truth because what everyone is saying is correct. I used to live in Queens and hated it (and I lived in St. Albans, by the railroad). The majority of Queens people, sorry to say, are nothing but morons. How come I don't hear the same complaints from Manhattan??? As a matter of fact, don't even DARE talk about of Brooklyn because at least my borough doesn't have a high concentration of people that live in project housing in Queensbridge, the LARGEST public housing in NYC, in QUEENS. QUEENS!!!! You want to be treated like a normal human being? Then SHUT UP WITH THE CHILDLESS B*TCHING!!! You treat the subway like a luxury. It's NOT a luxury, it's a means.

Quit complaining about (E) service because at least you have a line that runs frequently.

Quit complaining about how the New York City Subway system is "inferior" to the WMATA because their service doesn't even run 24/7. They have NOTHING on us and lack the diversity of what New York has.

You seriously need to quit the complaints that I always hear from QUEENS. You'll never know what the real world is like until you're on your own buddy.

That said, if a Wal-Mart should open in NYC, let it go to Staten Island...lots of space for one there.

Maybe here? (it would work because the parking lot is well-sized).

[GMAPS]<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&q=Brooklyn,+Kings,+New+York&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=40.545434,56.513672&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=FRBFbAId0JyX-w&split=0&hq=&hnear=Brooklyn,+Kings,+New+York&ll=40.65,-73.95&spn=0.004754,0.006899&z=17&layer=c&cbll=40.646583,-73.95668&panoid=eHuynQh8mWBjnlauvRXpDQ&cbp=12,159.41,,0,4.93&output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&q=Brooklyn,+Kings,+New+York&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=40.545434,56.513672&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=FRBFbAId0JyX-w&split=0&hq=&hnear=Brooklyn,+Kings,+New+York&ll=40.65,-73.95&spn=0.004754,0.006899&z=17&layer=c&cbll=40.646583,-73.95668&panoid=eHuynQh8mWBjnlauvRXpDQ&cbp=12,159.41,,0,4.93" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>[/GMAPS]

Yeah, that's the Sears parking lot....

as long as I lived in east flatbush (all my life), I never understood why that parking lot was so dam large... even on it's busiest day, it's not 20% filled...

(you barely see shoppers park on the beverly rd side of the lot; the cars you may see parked on that side, are the people that live in that area.... )

funny thing is, the people that shop in that super stop & shop barely used the parking lot... although you do have taxis parked along tilden, waitin to pick ppl. up...

While I do think that space (at least HALF of the current parking lot) should be used for something else, I'm not so sure a wal-mart is it.... w/e lot space would be left, is sure to be fully occupied b/w sears & walmart shoppers (esp. on weekends), and spillage will occur all around the immediate area....

And??

Cuz Queens residents b*tched their asses off for em that's why. They're too damn ungrateful. Just like the idiots who live in Middle Village and Glendale who just so LOVE the new (M) they're getting...I can't wait for it to fail.

Stop evading the truth because what everyone is saying is correct. I used to live in Queens and hated it (and I lived in St. Albans, by the railroad). The majority of Queens people, sorry to say, are nothing but morons. How come I don't hear the same complaints from Manhattan??? As a matter of fact, don't even DARE talk about of Brooklyn because at least my borough doesn't have a high concentration of people that live in project housing in Queensbridge, the LARGEST public housing in NYC, in QUEENS. QUEENS!!!! You want to be treated like a normal human being? Then SHUT UP WITH THE CHILDLESS B*TCHING!!! You treat the subway like a luxury. It's NOT a luxury, it's a means.

Quit complaining about (E) service because at least you have a line that runs frequently.

Quit complaining about how the New York City Subway system is "inferior" to the WMATA because their service doesn't even run 24/7. They have NOTHING on us and lack the diversity of what New York has.

You seriously need to quit the complaints that I always hear from QUEENS. You'll never know what the real world is like until you're on your own buddy.

I used to live in Bushwick. I lived there from 1985-1990. There used to be shoot outs every Friday and Saturday night. In fact, my cousin was shot in Brooklyn in the early 90's. My family left Brooklyn because they realized how sh*tty it was.

Queens isn't perfect but it's full of working class people who hold the city together. Brooklyn (particularly your crummy neighborhood as well as East Flatbush, Canarsie, and Brownsville) is full of ex-cons and single moms named Shaquanna who are on welfare.

People in Queens complain and get results. Participating in your government requires a minimal amount of education (something most Brooklynites lack). While people from your area are busy smoking blunts and getting knocked up at the age of 15, people in my area read the paper and go to town hall meetings. We actively participate in our government. There's nothing bourgeois or elitist about that.

I really tried to give you the benefit of the doubt but once again you showed your true colors. I let Brian Weinturd treat me like garbage for 4 years. It won't happen again.

I'm not going to reply to FG's quote here to go further off-topic.

Anyways, is there really a need for a Wal-Mart in NYC? Someone else hit the nail on the head, we have Target shopping centers, which are fine as is. I can honestly say that the need for a Walmart in NYC is pointless.

As a union employee, my union tells me not to shop at Wal-Mart. Since I don't want Carmine, Paulie and Vinny coming down to break my kneecaps, I don't shop at Wal-Mart.

I wouldn't shop there anyway, place agitates me. Long lines and the store is a god damn mess. Schlock.

I'm not going to reply to FG's quote here to go further off-topic.

Anyways, is there really a need for a Wal-Mart in NYC? Someone else hit the nail on the head, we have Target shopping centers, which are fine as is. I can honestly say that the need for a Walmart in NYC is pointless.

LRG you aware that tens of thousands shoppers from the NYC boros or maybe more every weekend go to Walmarts in Long Island, NJ and CT. right?

LRG you aware that tens of thousands shoppers from the NYC boros or maybe more every weekend go to Walmarts in Long Island, NJ and CT. right?

Let them go there then if that pleases them. Keep Wal-Marts out of NYC, I'm sorry.

As a union employee, my union tells me not to shop at Wal-Mart. Since I don't want Carmine, Paulie and Vinny coming down to break my kneecaps, I don't shop at Wal-Mart.

I wouldn't shop there anyway, place agitates me. Long lines and the store is a god damn mess. Schlock.

Lmao.

And??

That said, if a Wal-Mart should open in NYC, let it go to Staten Island...lots of space for one there.

Ungrateful for old cars from the 60's while everywhere else has newer stuff? I'm not even a railfan and that seems messed up to me.

I'm done, I'm not one to keep stuff going.

Ungrateful for old cars from the 60's while everywhere else has newer stuff? I'm not even a railfan and that seems messed up to me.

I'm done, I'm not one to keep stuff going.

Call it what you wish, that's just the way I feel. I couldn't care what train shows up first. At least I'm grateful for the subway service I have other than those who have nothing better to do than b*tch endlessly about it. Remember, the subway is a means, not a luxury.

Do you realize that Target is dominating the area and we need a Walmart to create some competition to them?

But are they needed? We already have stores like Costco along the Gowanus, as well as PathMarks and Targets spread all over. The hell do we need a Walmart for?

Well in ways, you could but NYC is not getting the money, Long Island and New Jersey and Westchester is and I know mom & pop stores are against it but it is still good to see some competition...

I can't argue with that because we are broke so we do need the money...but that means we'll have to shelve out money in order to get money, which for the most part is how things go....

I still say no to a Walmart in NYC. you mentioned something about competition, why create unneeded and unnecessary competition?

Let them go there then if that pleases them. Keep Wal-Marts out of NYC, I'm sorry.

I disagree with you completely. Other major cities like Chicago and L.A. have a Wal-Mart, why shouldn't we? I shouldn't have to go to White Plains or NJ to go to Wal-Mart if they can find spot for Wal-Mart here in NYC. Personally, I don't care about the union stuff (sorry if I offend the pro-union people), I care about getting a good deal on the things that I shop for and I as a consumer want to have more choices so that I can buy what I need and save money in the process. People have mentioned Target, Costco and Sears and I like those stores but what if those stores aren't nearby me but the Wal-Mart they want to build will be by my house? You bet your ass I'm going to Wal-Mart. NYC should have a whole bunch of stores so that we can chose where we wanna go. For all anyone knows, Wal-Mart could work with the mom and pop stores and help each other get business but the NIMBY's have got to get out of the way in order for that to happen. I really hope Wal-Mart finds it's way to NYC cause I will go without hesitation.

I disagree with you completely. Other major cities like Chicago and L.A. have a Wal-Mart, why shouldn't we? I shouldn't have to go to White Plains or NJ to go to Wal-Mart if they can find spot for Wal-Mart here in NYC. Personally, I don't care about the union stuff (sorry if I offend the pro-union people), I care about getting a good deal on the things that I shop for and I as a consumer want to have more choices so that I can buy what I need and save money in the process. People have mentioned Target, Costco and Sears and I like those stores but what if those stores aren't nearby me but the Wal-Mart they want to build will be by my house? You bet your ass I'm going to Wal-Mart. NYC should have a whole bunch of stores so that we can chose where we wanna go. For all anyone knows, Wal-Mart could work with the mom and pop stores and help each other get business but the NIMBY's have got to get out of the way in order for that to happen. I really hope Wal-Mart finds it's way to NYC cause I will go without hesitation.

Agreed 100% Princelex:tup:. I bet most of those same NIMBY's in NYC who oppose Wal Mart now will be the first in line when it opens. I heard the same arguments when i lived in Brooklyn 7-8 years when the first Brooklyn Targets at both the Gateway Mall/Spring Creek Mall and the Atlantic Ave Mall opened and the NIMBY's said the same thing about 'mom & pop' stores going away.

You dont need a Wal Mart or Target in every neighborhood in the city's 5 boros such as when i visit my family in Southern California as 'compromise' and also protect mama and pop stores as well but the customer should have a choice.

The compromise would also weed out the overpriced and crappy smaller stores that many neighborhoods particuarly in poorer or working ones are stuck with right now.

Not to mention places like LIC near Queensbridge projects could use a Wal Mart as it gives people in the community including young adults, jobs something many of them don't have now.

Also I read somewhere i think (sorry forgot source guys)when a Wal Mart opens other box store opens most of the time, increases the property values of neighborhoods as well including homes in lower class areas.

Some despite some of it's baggage imo opening a Wal Mart in a small few places of NYC like in Philadelphia, I feel will benefit the city more than not opening one in this way. It will decrease car traffic on weekends like the Belt Pwy and SI expressway and keeping $$$ in local neighborhood of NYC boros.

If people don't want to shop at Wal Mart that 'cool' too this is America. I know of some people who dont want to shop at Target, Sears, Kmart or Macys for whatever reasons, which is one of the great things of living in America you blessed with 'choices.'

Just my takes.:cool:

Walmart will NEVER work with the mom and pop stores, they'd put them out of business in a heartbeat.

Bringing a Walmart to NYC is like bringing back the monopoly era of the 1900s to the 21st century.

Walmart will NEVER work with the mom and pop stores, they'd put them out of business in a heartbeat.

Bringing a Walmart to NYC is like bringing back the monopoly era of the 1900s to the 21st century.

What about places that are poorer like Far Rockaway, Brownsville/ocean Hill in Brooklyn or parts of the Jamaica/Southeast area of Queens, that have little or no stores at right now? Those folks are stuck with overpriced Mom & Pop "Dollar Stores" or buy food at Key Foods and Associated smaller supermarkets or have to take a bus or drive if they have a car to go to affordable stores like Pathmark. That just as bad as the early 1900's.

LRG if you hate Wal Mart that fine and dont go but for the majority of NYC residents they should have a choice imo.

What about places that are poorer like Far Rockaway, Brownsville/ocean Hill in Brooklyn that have little or no stores at right now? Those folks are stuck with overpriced Mom & Pop "Dollar Stores" or buy food at Key Foods and Associated smaller supermarkets or have to take a bus or drive if they have a car to go to affordable stores like Pathmark. That just as bad as the early 1900's.

LRG if you hate Wal Mart that fine and dont go but for the majority of NYC residents that should have a choice imo.

Where have I said that I hate Walmart?? Stop putting words in my mouth. All I've said is that I don't see a purpose for one because the last thing we even need is competition.

BTW, when was the last time you've been to New York City?

Where have I said that I hate Walmart?? Stop putting words in my mouth. All I've said is that I don't see a purpose for one because the last thing we even need is competition.

BTW, when was the last time you've been to New York City?

LRG you have yet to answer my question to you about lack of any stores ie Pathmark, Shop Rite in poorer neighborhoods of the city in my previous threads? I bet 90% of those living in the 'lower income' neighborhoods would go to Wal Mart in heartbeat. And last time i was in the city. Saturday April 10, 2010 to have 'dinner' with my brother in Manhattan who works for Metro North.

Plus i still have relatives/few friends in the 5 boros so I am in the 'city' at least 1x a month. I bring my laptop every where lol so that why it seems i am every second lol.

And wal mart will bring down the prices of those overpriced department stores in Manhattan as well.

And how do you know this?

Archived