Wal-Mart eyeing Brooklyn shopping center for it's first store in NYC

Shortline Bus

Walmart eying Brooklyn shopping center for first New York City location

BY Erin Durkin

NY DAILY NEWS WRITER

Monday, April 26th 2010

Walmart is eying a proposed Brooklyn shopping center for its first New York City location, Crain's New York reported.

The retail giant is scoping out the Gateway II shopping center near Jamaica Bay. Even though the proposal isn't official yet, community groups already are planning protests.

Walmart is reportedly also checking out other unidentified sites in the city.

Earlier efforts for outlets in Staten Island and Queens were scuttled by protests from labor and community groups, prompting then-Walmart CEO Lee Scott to declare that opening in the city wasn't "worth the effort."

Now, New York is back on the big-box chain's radar.

"We know that New Yorkers want to shop and work at Walmart, and as a result, we continue to evaluate potential opportunities here," Walmart exec Steven Restivo told Crain's. "New Yorkers want quality jobs and affordable groceries, and it remains our goal to be part of the solution."

The plans of developer RelatedCos. for the 630,000-square-foot Gateway II center, near Starrett City, were approved by the City Council, meaning Walmart could move in without council approval."

For rest of article.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/brooklyn/2010/04/26/2010-04-26_walmart_may_come_our_way.html

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WalMart should definitley put one in the Bronx. Man you should see the WalMart where I live in White Plains. It gets really crowded because alot of people from the Bronx come up here.But Brooklyn is another good location though.

A Wal-Mart in NYC, that would be nice.

I believe there planning a Wal-Mart next to the Hudson-Bergen line in Jersey City or Bayonne.

Where the Target is in the Newport area, it was originally planned to be a Wal-Mart (it was only talks, nothing official or public came out).

I know they were thinking of building a Wal-Mart somewhere around Jersey City and Bayonne, but nothing has been laid out yet. They don't have much space in Jersey City to build a Wal-Mart around the HBLR, but in Bayonne they could do one in the shopping complex close to 8th Street (it has an A&P IIRC). It would take serious restructuring to put a Wal-Mart there. Again, for a Wal-Mart, there isn't much space around the HBLR to build one relatively close to the line.

What they should do is extend the line from Tonnelle Avenue to Secaucus....

A Wal-Mart in NYC, that would be nice.

Where the Target is in the Newport area, it was originally planned to be a Wal-Mart (it was only talks, nothing official or public came out).

I know they were thinking of building a Wal-Mart somewhere around Jersey City and Bayonne, but nothing has been laid out yet. They don't have much space in Jersey City to build a Wal-Mart around the HBLR, but in Bayonne they could do one in the shopping complex close to 8th Street (it has an A&P IIRC). It would take serious restructuring to put a Wal-Mart there. Again, for a Wal-Mart, there isn't much space around the HBLR to build one relatively close to the line.

What they should do is extend the line from Tonnelle Avenue to Secaucus....

Currently the only Wal Mart locations in North Jersey or Westchester (Please correct me guys if i am missing any) to the following boros.

Most of Brooklyn and all of Queens-Green Acres Mall/Valley Stream.

Staten Island and parts of SW Brooklyn-Linden and Old Bridge, NJ.

Manhattan-Secaucus

Bronx-White Plains.

Pablo you right the bosses at Wal-Mart should bulid a store in Bayonne to get not only customers from the Jersey City area but also Staten Island and Southwest Brooklyn as well.

By the Time the whole Hudson-Bergen LRT system is completed in (2025) there should be 3 Wal-Marts along the system. Northern Branch will have one in North Bergen , The Meadowlands line will have one in Secacus , and down in the Industrail area of Jersey City near Bayonne there will be one or something else big.:)

Currently the only Wal Mart locations in North Jersey or Westchester (Please correct me guys if i am missing any) to the following boros.

Most of Brooklyn and all of Queens-Green Acres Mall/Valley Stream.

Staten Island and parts of SW Brooklyn-Linden and Old Bridge, NJ.

Manhattan-Secaucus

Bronx-White Plains.

Pablo you right the bosses at Wal-Mart should bulid a store in Bayonne to get not only customers from the Jersey City area but also Staten Island and Southwest Brooklyn as well.

There's also the WalMart in Westbury for the Brooklyn/Queens peeps, my parents usually shop at that one.

How about Manhattan, instead of being so far. Manhattan is better as its just like the central part of NYC. Plus a lot more people are in the Midtown secition.

But at least its cool we get this!

I use to thought Wall-mart was Wall-GREEN lol, but years later i was wrong :P

I'm sure most people in the city would love to save money by shopping at Walmart. However, since the city is run by unions and liberal elitists who abhor Walmart it won't be built.

You dont need to bulid a wal mart in every neighborhood in NYC. About 6-7 years ago Philadelphia another liberal and union town bulit it's first Wal Mart in South Phildelphia in Industrial area near the Walt Whitman Bridge and the sports complex.

FYI. I know there a Wal Mart store at the Franklin Mills Mall but that in the town of Ben Salem, Pa right next to Philly City line.

Mark where would you put a Wal Mart in Manhattan? I think Upper Manhattan in the Harlem or Washington Heights area would be great spots uptown and for Downtown the Lower East Side off the FDR Drive by the Pike Slipe Pathmark makes the most sense.

Midtown i dont know if any place could work.

WalMart should definitley put one in the Bronx. Man you should see the WalMart where I live in White Plains. It gets really crowded because alot of people from the Bronx come up here.But Brooklyn is another good location though.

Just like Cross County on weekends. Bronx and Westchester go hand in hand with shoppers, which makes it a nightmare to shop here on the weekends. Bronx does need one, and Brooklyn needs one at the Gateway Center. That way, after shopping at BJ's for bulk items (like 600 roll pack of toilet paper, or Giant box of Pancakes), they could get less items needed in bulk, like milk, etc. They have a Target there already too. Let the 3 giants duke it out, at Gateway........

How about Manhattan, instead of being so far. Manhattan is better as its just like the central part of NYC. Plus a lot more people are in the Midtown secition.

But at least its cool we get this!

I use to thought Wall-mart was Wall-GREEN lol, but years later i was wrong :P

Where are you going to find the space?

Plus if people reacted when IKEA went to Brooklyn, what do you think they would say to a Wal Mart in Manhattan?

Where are you going to find the space?

Plus if people reacted when IKEA went to Brooklyn, what do you think they would say to a Wal Mart in Manhattan?

Its not going to be Wal Mart Supercenter store.

Goggle "Neighborhood Market by Walmart", it's almost typical size of like Pathmark, ShopRite, Stop and Shop. it will fit in NYC with a smaller size.

BTW, most of Wal-Mart in NYC area... SUCKS shit, there are some cleaner and nicer Wal-Marts in the area but most are crap to shop by.

Its not going to be Wal Mart Supercenter store.

Goggle "Neighborhood Market by Walmart", it's almost typical size of like Pathmark, ShopRite, Stop and Shop. it will fit in NYC with a smaller size.

BTW, most of Wal-Mart in NYC area... SUCKS shit, there are some cleaner and nicer Wal-Marts in the area but most are crap to shop by.

FYI. There are '3' Wal Mart Supercenters within 45 minute drive of my house here in Hudson Valley. Kingston, NY, Fishkill and Newburgh. Not to mention another two more Wal Mart In Danbury, Ct. and Central Valley/Monroe, NY aka Woodbury Commons Mall as well.:eek: So basically within a hour drive or 40-mile radius i got '5' Walmarts near my house.:eek:

Almost all of the Walmart in or near urban centers are almost always regular size stores similar to Pathmark, Shoprite, Stop and Shop or even Target. I am sure if and whenever a Wal Mart in the NYC Boros opens it be not be a super center.

There are 2 Super Wal Marts less then a mile apart in Hudson County, one in Secacus & Another in North Bergen. Both create un-needed traffic. I can't wait to the HBLR Northern Branch gets extended up.:P

That overkill my friend. Just like when i go to Southern California 1-2x a year to see my parents and sister, there seems to be a Denny's Diner Resturant on every block in some towns or neighborhood.:P:eek::confused:

Well, I do not think Manhattan has enough space for such Walmart unless if Walmart decided to occupy a level of parking up at the location of Costco Wholesales Manhattan. But obviously there will be NIMBY opposition.

I mentioned the only possiblity.

Although the most feasable spot for less NIMBY opposition is at the undeveloped Long Island City area. But, Walmart coming in may lead to several abandoned buildings getting demolished and several poorly operated stores getting closed and moved. LIC desperately need some more development, so run-down.

I do not think Walmart will be willing to move such store into NYC, it is bascially like a Walmart compressed into a smaller size more food, pharmacy, health and beauty care as well as photo service and general merchandise oriented store. While, I do not think I would like such store to be here, but because Food Emporium, Stop & Shop, Pathmark and Waldbaum and several others already dominate the area community-wise. Walmart's old Neighborhood Market stores and it's type won't fit, because this market is heavily occupied and Walmart is now mainly competing with Target and Wholesale Stores (BJ & Costco).

For now, due to your reference this store may be the store for you: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marketside) also by Walmart.

But for a long time I have not agreed with you but I have to agree that many Walmarts in our area are modeled like old walmarts and smells like homeless. Only one of the Walmarts I do actually like, but I ain't sayin' it because people are going to trash it, :P...

What do you know about long island city being "so run-down" and needing more development? Long island city is a major hub for warehousing and distribution. Why are you back and why everything you type on here is just dumb shit?

Archived