Wal-Mart eyeing Brooklyn shopping center for it's first store in NYC

Shortline Bus

No one's forcing you to shop there. However, we live in a capitalist society where consumers have a CHOICE of where they want to shop. The plethora of New Yorkers at the Walmart in Valley Stream and White Plains indicates that a substantial number of New Yorkers want a Walmart.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is the way I see it. RURAL areas (e.g. Upstate NY, Connecticut) deserve Walmart as well as a "myriad" of those strip malls because there is nothing on every single block except for houses. So, they drive for half an hour or so, buy their goodies, see a movie and call it a day.

I wouldn't say Rural areas "deserve" a walmart, but I'd say... it's more, fitting that a walmart be placed in a rural area, over a heavily populated city/area/etc.....

We are in New York. To clarify, New York City. Which means that everywhere we go, we have apartment buildings on the major streets like Nostrand Avenue, Jamaica Avenue and other major through streets that sit atop restaurants and stores, with supermarkets every five-seven blocks or so (I used to live by Lenox Road and Nostrand Avenue so there was a supermarket right around the corner from me on Nostrand Avenue; the next supermarket was on Church and Rogers (I'm sure B35 may be aware of the area...lol). My dad didn't have a car so we walked, especially since we lived around the corner.

Simply put, you live in a certain area so you put up with what you have (I'm speaking in general here). Therefore, do I overall support a Walmart in NYC limits? I lean towards no.

yeah, that supermarket still there... I'll never step foot in there b/c to be honest, looking at it from the outside-in, somethin about that place just... isn't... right... Anyway, currently, it's a hangout spot for all the nzzzz's that try to hit on the cashiers in there, and all the young women passing by on that side of the block as well (pretty much, the same deal w/ that clean-rite supermarket there)....

Aside from that, I agree w/ the notion that if you live in a populous area (quote-unquote urban area), that has just about all of your monthly, weekly, daily necessities or w/e, then you shop in the places w/i your area for convenience (and to save 4.50, roundtrip, which of course, will increase as time progresses)....

y'know, w/ me, it's not so much keeping the mom & pop stores around (yes, lot of those owners of those stores do price gouge, not gonna sit here & be naive about it), as it is, keeping walmart out of the city; I don't see it as walmart vs. brooklyn pharmacy or w/e..... it also aint about, if a walmart is built here, people won't shop there - they will b/c it's available (lower prices = increased business, plain as day).... you got the ikea here in brooklyn, gateway mall (the brooklyn one) is basically "big box" store central now... I don't know about some of you, but I don't want New York City becoming known for the influx of recent big box stores... People (outsiders in w/e other suburban & rural areas in the tri-state area) are gonna take on the mindset that "we already have 'everything' else"....

I find it funny that the same people that support the propping up of these larger chain stores in urbanized areas... are the same people who complain of traffic, noise pollution, and my personal favorite "there's no place to park"... (same s**t that happened when Atlantic terminal opened up)...

it comes down to location... if you build a walmart or w/e too far away from any subway station or w/e, people will complain that it's inaccessible; "not everyone has a car" (just like gateway mall, before the Q8 & B83 extensions)... if you put it smack dab in an area that's already congested, you can bet the farm that the people of the nearing communities will complain about ANYTHING regarding it - mind you, these'll be the same people, in due time, that'll end up shopping in said store (just like... Atlas Mall out in Glendale, when that was being built)....

prosecution rests.....

To be honest, let's just look at what everyone needs to say. I don't care if a Gallup poll should be done, or a phonathon should be started. But I tell you this, instead of randomly assuming who wants to have one, or who doesn't, I want to see some figures of who wants or who doesn't.

To sum everything up:

Pro- People want a WalMart in NYC. Why not give them one? It spurs competition.

Con- WalMart kills mom-and-pop stores, as well as using illegal labor.

Well said NX:tup:. While i respect the viewpoint of Metsfan. LRG and thousands of other people who don't like Wal Mart for reasons stated it's their right. Besides the example of planned stores in both Forest Hills and SI, location killed by strong political and union pressure as for instance here in nearby New Paltz (home of a SUNY campus) several tries by Wal Mart to open there was met and defeated with strong oppisition by majority of that town's population.

At same time, this is America and anyone like Lex, Megabus or anyone else wants to shop there, it's their choice.

To sum everything up:

Pro- People want a WalMart in NYC. Why not give them one? It spurs competition.

Con- WalMart kills mom-and-pop stores, as well as using illegal labor.

It spurs competition?

it's far from being that simple.... I could argue that that's a "con", but even that would be moot...

guess I'll give you credit for at least tryna to mediate this discussion....

To be honest, let's just look at what everyone needs to say. I don't care if a Gallup poll should be done, or a phonathon should be started. But I tell you this, instead of randomly assuming who wants to have one, or who doesn't, I want to see some figures of who wants or who doesn't.

don't see your point with this; you can say that about any debate.....

unless you're gonna be the person scouring the city initiating in polls & alluring us all with such figures in the end, mr "instead of randomly assuming"....

....and even if you happen to go to those lengths, even if such a tally shows that there are a higher number of ppl. in NYC wants a walmart, it will be all for naught...

why? b/c that does not mean it will be built....

This isn't a matter of "by a show of hands, how many people want a walmart".....

ooh ooohhh.... me... meeeeee.....

lol....

nope

vomit

Well said NX:tup:. While i respect the viewpoint of Metsfan. LRG and thousands of other people who don't like Wal Mart for reasons stated it's their right. Besides the example of planned stores in both Forest Hills and SI, location killed by strong political and union pressure as for instance here in nearby New Paltz (home of a SUNY campus) several tries by Wal Mart to open there was met and defeated with strong oppisition by majority of that town's population.

At same time, this is America and anyone like Lex, Megabus or anyone else wants to shop there, it's their choice.

The only reason people will shop at the Walmart is because it is available; B35 is 100% right on that stance; it does not mean people will use it...just because. Because we are in New York City, cars are, for the most part, a luxury here, which means that the majority of residents here will rely on a train or bus to get to their destination. And for those who want to go food shopping, they'll most likely have to WALK in order to get to the nearest supermarket available, or, have their friend pull up in a car, drive to a Costco like the one located by the Gowanus, stack up on whatnot, and head back home, at the expense of your friend's gas that comes out of her pocket unless you;d like to reimburse him/her with a fee for her service, just like how we charge taxicabs.

yeah, that supermarket still there... I'll never step foot in there b/c to be honest, looking at it from the outside-in, somethin about that place just... isn't... right... Anyway, currently, it's a hangout spot for all the nzzzz's that try to hit on the cashiers in there, and all the young women passing by on that side of the block as well (pretty much, the same deal w/ that clean-rite supermarket there)....

Yeah, I haven't been around there in quite some time, or even the area. My dad used to work in the area too.

Aside from that, I agree w/ the notion that if you live in a populous area (quote-unquote urban area), that has just about all of your monthly, weekly, daily necessities or w/e, then you shop in the places w/i your area for convenience (and to save 4.50, roundtrip, which of course, will increase as time progresses)....

IAWTP

y'know, w/ me, it's not so much keeping the mom & pop stores around (yes, lot of those owners of those stores do price gouge, not gonna sit here & be naive about it), as it is, keeping walmart out of the city; I don't see it as walmart vs. brooklyn pharmacy or w/e..... it also aint about, if a walmart is built here, people won't shop there - they will b/c it's available (lower prices = increased business, plain as day).... you got the ikea here in brooklyn, gateway mall (the brooklyn one) is basically "big box" store central now... I don't know about some of you, but I don't want New York City becoming known for the influx of recent big box stores... People (outsiders in w/e other suburban & rural areas in the tri-state area) are gonna take on the mindset that "we already have 'everything' else"....

I find it funny that the same people that support the propping up of these larger chain stores in urbanized areas... are the same people who complain of traffic, noise pollution, and my personal favorite "there's no place to park"... (same s**t that happened when Atlantic terminal opened up)...

it comes down to location... if you build a walmart or w/e too far away from any subway station or w/e, people will complain that it's inaccessible; "not everyone has a car" (just like gateway mall, before the Q8 & B83 extensions)... if you put it smack dab in an area that's already congested, you can bet the farm that the people of the nearing communities will complain about ANYTHING regarding it - mind you, these'll be the same people, in due time, that'll end up shopping in said store (just like... Atlas Mall out in Glendale, when that was being built)....

prosecution rests.....

Amen!

There are just way too many cons involved with having a Walmart in NYC limits...which makes you wonder: if NYC really really needed a Walmart, we would have had one ages ago.

As much as I like Walmart I do not want them in my city,they don't want to be unionize,there health plans sucks,they pay below the minimum wage and they treat the workers like crap,if you guys think that if they build a Walmart it well mean jobs right? but think about the jobs that Walmart will destroy around the area.

Beside we have alot of pleases better then Walmart anyway and if you want your products from china you go Straight to the source ,chinatown.;)

As much as I like Walmart I do not want them in my city,they don't want to be unionize,there health plans sucks,they pay below the minimum wage and they treat the workers like crap,if you guys think that if they build a Walmart it well mean jobs right? but think about the jobs that Walmart will destroy around the area.

Beside we have alot of pleases better then Walmart anyway and if you want your products from china you go Straight to the source ,chinatown.;)

IMO, that was cold, but also funny as hell....

regardless, that's some real talk....

LOL! Man the last like was a killer.

But yep, you couldn't be any closer to the truth.

incorrect

No, MTR is entirely correct.There's a reason why Walmart hasn't hit NYC yet. If we really needed one then we would have had one already, ages ago to be precise.

This is the way I see it. We (NYC people) live in an urbanized area. Is a Walmart necessary??? The only reason that areas like LI and New Jersey have Walmarts is because they live in areas where there is no public transportation for one, making the only method of back and forth transportation within the area viable by car, and to top it off, those areas are either suburban or rural, so with nothing BUT houses those people will have to drive to get their necessary goods. We, however, are more fortunate than that.

I beg to differ because there are many urban areas in the U.S. that have Wal-Marts on major steets that are easily accessable by public transit.

I could be an @ss and say,"incorrect" but I'm not going to do that. However, you're wrong.

Walmart has a myriad of goods and products. Instead of going all over the place to buy things people can shop at Walmart and save money. Yes, Walmart has engaged in dubious business practices but do you really think the single mom from the Marcy Projects cares about that? If you don't like Walmart then shop at Target or Kmart and feel free to picket outside of Walmart. However, it's unfair to deny low-income people access to a store that they want.

I know people who despise Wal-Mart but still shop there!

I hate to sound callous but that's not my problem. I care about my family and my community, not some sweatshop in Cambodia. Walmart saves people money, regardless of how it's done.

Wow............

Well, there are several KMart locations in NYC as well as I don't like KMart's stuff, it is cheaper and lamer looking than Walmarts, so I would prefer Walmart over KMart. While her clothe line was sold at Walmart according to WikiPedia, but I do think KMart carried it as well.

Replies in Blue...

K-Mart cheaper than Wal-Mart?????? Thats new to me!

I'm sure those mom and pop stores will have no qualms about hiring minorities or keeping prices reasonable.

They can keep the prices as reasonable as they want and thay still won't be able to compete!

I beg to differ because there are many urban areas in the U.S. that have Wal-Marts on major steets that are easily accessable by public transit.

So how come NYC doesn't have one???

Like I said, if there was a need for a Walmart, we would have had one a long time ago already. Doesn't that ring a bell to anyone???

Wal-Mart in NYC? Bring it on. My experience with them in Delaware was that I got things for a steal there. I don't care about politics, don't care about the workers they hire...hell I don't even care about how necessary it is that NYC have one. All I care about is that I can shop somewhere for what I need at the price I can afford and the people who work there can operate the register when I go to pay.

It's not about supply and demand. It's about politics. The majority of shoppers at the Valley Stream Walmart come from Brooklyn and Queens.

The Valley Stream location should become a 24/7 Supercenter as i read somewhere it's one of the busiest in the US.

Not to get too off topic guys but related remember the tragic event on Black Friday couple of years ago at start of 2007 or 2008(correct me guys)Christmas Holiday Season, when a Wal Mart worker was crushed to death by over excited customers when store was opening that morning around 5-6am?

If there was another store in Brooklyn or Queens would he be alive today?;)

The Valley Stream location should become a 24/7 Supercenter as i read somewhere it's one of the busiest in the US.

Not to get too off topic guys but related remember the tragic event on Black Friday couple of years ago at start of 2007 or 2008(correct me guys)Christmas Holiday Season, when a Wal Mart worker was crushed to death by over excited customers when store was opening that morning around 5-6am?

If there was another store in Brooklyn or Queens would he be alive today?;)

That incident happened because the buyers were creaming themselves to save on Black Friday prices. People are such penny pinchers that they're willing to risk their lives and others over a $100 32" TV.

I hate to sound callous but that's not my problem. I care about my family and my community, not some sweatshop in Cambodia. Walmart saves people money, regardless of how it's done.

You know, I agree to some extent. I'm sorry we got enough of our own problems here in America, that I really could care less whats going on in another country. Lets cure OUR problems before worrying about WTF is going on across the water.

Archived