Wal-Mart eyeing Brooklyn shopping center for it's first store in NYC

Shortline Bus

Well, look at the roads and the stores, it should need some redevelopment and even the distribution center and warehouses need some facelift. But, the abandoned buildings must need to be torn down to make way for modernization. And there is clearly no restrooms available in Queens Plaza/Queensboro Plaza/LIC area the other day when I am tring to find one.

use the drain on the platform to pee.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, look at the roads and the stores, it should need some redevelopment and even the distribution center and warehouses need some facelift. But, the abandoned buildings must need to be torn down to make way for modernization. And there is clearly no restrooms available in Queens Plaza/Queensboro Plaza/LIC area the other day when I am tring to find one.

That does not mean the area is bad. North Side Williamsburg has lots of abandoned warehouses yet that neighborhood is fine. I would know as I used Bedford Avenue on the (L) heading to/from school and I'd be passing through that area as early 6:45 in the morning and on some days passing through on my way back home as late as 9 in the evening (not really the type that stays out late anyways but I am an early bird).

Well, depending on how it goes I feel the perfect spot would be most likely along hte Belt Parkway or somewhere in Flushing-College Point Area. Bronx would be a great idea too, as well as Bayonne, NJ but for Bayonne.

For me, I feel that the Walmart in Westbury, Nassau Co. and Valley Stream, Nassau Co. is getting all the burden from Queens and Brooklyn Shoppers, a lot of times the lines flood to the product section just across from the checkout registers. Same for the White Plains, NY Walmart as mentioned, it is getting all the shoppers from the Bronx and Upper Uptown Manhattan. So a NYC Walmart is desirable, but only the NIMBYs here are complaining and protesting while jamming the streets of neighbooring Counties...

the White Plains, Westchester Co. Walmart

The Valley Stream Walmart is practically in Queens, Rosedale is right over the fence in the back of Walmart, I wouldn't be surprised if part of the store's property is in Queens. That one should've been a Walmart Supercenter IMO. East Queens is covered by the Valley Stream & Garden City ones.

I think Brooklyn would be a great location.

I hate that Walmart in White Plains, it's small and dirty.

Its not going to be Wal Mart Supercenter store.

Goggle "Neighborhood Market by Walmart", it's almost typical size of like Pathmark, ShopRite, Stop and Shop. it will fit in NYC with a smaller size.

BTW, most of Wal-Mart in NYC area... SUCKS shit, there are some cleaner and nicer Wal-Marts in the area but most are crap to shop by.

Well I tell you this: when many people think Wal-Mart, they usually think of those huge super centres.

You see Megabus,The abandoned warehouses and factories is what makes LIC,well LIC.This area use to be the place of jobs and industry.Thats the problem now with NYC,its losing alot of its historical luster.

:)

If i was a real estate person for Wal Mart looking to bulid a store in metro NYC, I think LIC would be a great location for a Wal Mart. Thinking hard the ideal location would be the 1-mile area around 21 Street from 36th Avenue just north of the bridge to area of Jackson Ave near the Court Sq/23rd (7)(E)(G) and soon (M) subway stop as well.

Advantages.

1)Near the LIE, Pulski/McGuniness Ave and Queensboro Bridges.

2)Near almost all of the subways that stop in the LIC area.

3)Several Bus lines as well that take customers to most of Queens and Greenpoint/North Brooklyn via B62 bus.

4)MOST IMPORTANT VERY FEW NIMBY'S.

That overkill my friend. Just like when i go to Southern California 1-2x a year to see my parents and sister, there seems to be a Denny's Diner Resturant on every block in some towns or neighborhood.:(:eek::confused:

I'm still trying to find a Denny's in NYC lol

How about Manhattan, instead of being so far. Manhattan is better as its just like the central part of NYC. Plus a lot more people are in the Midtown secition.

there's already a K-Mart in the Astor Pl (6) station...I don't think we need both in the area

...But at least its cool we get this!

I use to thought Wall-mart was Wall-GREEN lol, but years later i was wrong :P

LMAO...i thought that same thing. I guess great minds do think alike :P

Where are you going to find the space?

Plus if people reacted when IKEA went to Brooklyn, what do you think they would say to a Wal Mart in Manhattan?

They reacted, they complained, it still got built. There's a perfect spot right across the street from the other stores, right in front of the B13/83/Q8 bus stop where it can be built

Well, I do not think Manhattan has enough space for such Walmart unless if Walmart decided to occupy a level of parking up at the location of Costco Wholesales Manhattan. But obviously there will be NIMBY opposition.

I mentioned the only possiblity.

Although the most feasable spot for less NIMBY opposition is at the undeveloped Long Island City area. But, Walmart coming in may lead to several abandoned buildings getting demolished and several poorly operated stores getting closed and moved. LIC desperately need some more development, so run-down.

I do not think Walmart will be willing to move such store into NYC, it is bascially like a Walmart compressed into a smaller size more food, pharmacy, health and beauty care as well as photo service and general merchandise oriented store. While, I do not think I would like such store to be here, but because Food Emporium, Stop & Shop, Pathmark and Waldbaum and several others already dominate the area community-wise. Walmart's old Neighborhood Market stores and it's type won't fit, because this market is heavily occupied and Walmart is now mainly competing with Target and Wholesale Stores (BJ & Costco).

For now, due to your reference this store may be the store for you: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marketside) also by Walmart.

But for a long time I have not agreed with you but I have to agree that many Walmarts in our area are modeled like old walmarts and smells like homeless. Only one of the Walmarts I do actually like, but I ain't sayin' it because people are going to trash it, :P...

What YOU wrote is completely makes no sense at all.

What YOU wrote is completely makes no sense at all.

W8HOU what i *think* Megabus is talking about is this. Wal-Mart has *2* types of stores. The First and most common Wal Mart are those that similar in size to Target or in NYC area a large Pathmark, ShopRite, Gristde's, etc.

In other words a regular Wal Mart does not have a supermarket but has a basic grocery section that you find at Target ie Milk, Bread, Juices, frozen foods and canned foods.

The other type of WalMart which is common where i live is called a "SuperCenter" does have a supermarket in addition to a regular size store.

Hope this clears it up?

Walmart eying Brooklyn shopping center for first New York City location

BY Erin Durkin

NY DAILY NEWS WRITER

Monday, April 26th 2010

Walmart is eying a proposed Brooklyn shopping center for its first New York City location, Crain's New York reported.

The retail giant is scoping out the Gateway II shopping center near Jamaica Bay. Even though the proposal isn't official yet, community groups already are planning protests.

Walmart is reportedly also checking out other unidentified sites in the city.

Earlier efforts for outlets in Staten Island and Queens were scuttled by protests from labor and community groups, prompting then-Walmart CEO Lee Scott to declare that opening in the city wasn't "worth the effort."

Now, New York is back on the big-box chain's radar.

"We know that New Yorkers want to shop and work at Walmart, and as a result, we continue to evaluate potential opportunities here," Walmart exec Steven Restivo told Crain's. "New Yorkers want quality jobs and affordable groceries, and it remains our goal to be part of the solution."

The plans of developer RelatedCos. for the 630,000-square-foot Gateway II center, near Starrett City, were approved by the City Council, meaning Walmart could move in without council approval."

For rest of article.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/brooklyn/2010/04/26/2010-04-26_walmart_may_come_our_way.html

Not going to happen...

They tried opening one here in Rego Park obviously it did not work out due to incessant bitching and other politics related stuff so I dont see any reason it would have a better chance in brooklyn especially as you can see there are already people starting a protest against it.

Not going to happen...

They tried opening one here in Rego Park obviously it did not work out due to incessant bitching and other politics related stuff so I dont see any reason it would have a better chance in brooklyn especially as you can see there are already people starting a protest against it.

Queens is always bitching about something so that's nothing new

I wouldn't really want a Wal-Mart here either though. "Quality jobs and affordable groceries" = cheap labor with bs benefits and stuff so cheap it drives everyone else out of business.

W8HOU what i *think* Megabus is talking about is this. Wal-Mart has *2* types of stores. The First and most common Wal Mart are those that similar in size to Target or in NYC area a large Pathmark, ShopRite, Gristde's, etc.

In other words a regular Wal Mart does not have a supermarket but has a basic grocery section that you find at Target ie Milk, Bread, Juices, frozen foods and canned foods.

The other type of WalMart which is common where i live is called a "SuperCenter" does have a supermarket in addition to a regular size store.

Hope this clears it up?

I know what Wal-Mart has various stores. Its MegaBus post is so vague and makes no sense at all if you could read clearly. He needs to type it clearly...

I hope Wal-Mart makes it to NYC. Having lived outside of NYC for 8 years in the past, Wal-Mart was a friend of mine when it came to shopping and it's going to be a win win for customers and even the community.

Pro Wal-Mart all the way!!!

Queens is always bitching about something so that's nothing new

I wouldn't really want a Wal-Mart here either though. "Quality jobs and affordable groceries" = cheap labor with bs benefits and stuff so cheap it drives everyone else out of business.

WTH, don't do it homie. :P

That Forest Hills/Rego Park area is filled with a lot of those "uppity" people, I can see them b*tching & moaning though but leave the rest of Queens out of it.

I like Walmart but I don't like the way they treat their employees and drive everything else out of business. I prefer Target over Walmart.

Archived