Wal-Mart eyeing Brooklyn shopping center for it's first store in NYC

Shortline Bus

Make it a million of other people, like literally 1/4 of people in this city wants a Walmart, but another 1/4 likes KMart, another 1/4 likes Target and the other 1/4 are just plain BSing NIMBYS. And seriously I'll call you guys NIMBYs, you don't want, but some people NEED a Walmart, and Walmart itself NEED a Walmart in NYC these days, L.I., H.V. and N.J. Walmarts are packed literally. If like me and five million do not want a store, but I would still at least let them open here and use it like a 'Pilot' store, like some people complain but really the result is different. I am stating calmly, when you and LRG are like stating stuff with pure panic and pure worry and purely just looking things way too far.

Well, I do not care about my grammer and spelling, it is the internet, and typos happen, so please take it seriously but just do not take it like it is pure BS.

Just chill people, NYC is not going to die because of a Walmart, the world has several more years to go, easy does it, ;)...

IAWTP, I do not like A&F either, there loud annoying music. But, I am not the decider of their business, I also do not have the power to control their decision. Besides, Walmart is NOT taking away people's property, they are simply building a store on top of a unused land that is already waiting for a tenant, and Walmart is the only store that fit to be on that piece of land.

How did you arrive at 1/4 for everything? You do know there's a margin that you may have not account for, however small or large.

And besides, you ought to be giving a sh*t about your grammar, because if nobody can understand what you are saying, then what's the point?

New York City is not a person, it does not "die". Wal-Mart is not a dire need. We can live without it.

From the consumer's point of view, Wal-Mart looks great. But that is from the consumer's point of view. Say you own your own mom and pop store, say 5 blocks away. What ought you have to say? Just as how department stores knocked out a great majority of home shops in the late 19th century, Wal-Mart can have similar repercussions. And things like Wal-Mart can be epidemic. Let me tell you this. Let it in, and its going to spread.

You may talk about consumer demand and such. But tell you what, if Wal-Mart starts taking on in the city, you will realise the effects. More mom and pop stores will be gone. And what if they can't find another job? Should the government pay them unemployment?

New York is known for its economic diversity, both in terms of the population and the different kinds of stores. There are already enough retail giants, why do we need another one? I'm not emphasising that Wal-Mart will kill off economic diversity here, but I don't see any justifications in having a Wal-Mart. Besides, like what Leroy said, if people had wanted one, there would be one. This city, like the rest of America, operates for the majority. As far as I'm concerned, most of the city doesn't welcome one. If a purported majority had advocated one, there would be no hinderance to Wal-Mart's opening in Gateway.

If you want Wal-Mart to come, petition forth. But bare in mind, there will be many more others that will strike it down.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guys here an intresting 'advice' article from Yahoo.com by a CBS-TV Online Business writer on the 'pros and cons' of what products to buy and not buy at Wal Mart.

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/109458/what-to-buy-and-not-buy-at-walmart?mod=family-love_money

I find this hard to believe that Walmart handed out very few pink slips but I do agree on pros and cons of the article.

Today I went to lrg's favorite store. I shopped at Walmart around 7:30 PM. The parking lot was moderately full. As I entered, I noticed that the employees were NORMAL LOOKING PEOPLE. They weren't malnourished illegal immigrants. All of the employees were polite. Walmart sells the same items as Target. There were maybe 1 or 2 products at Walmart that weren't at Target. The prices are similar. A 20 oz bottle of Vitamin water at Target is $1.17. At Walmart it's $1. The shoppers were mostly minorities and immigrants. I purchased a box of granola bars, two mint breath sprays, a 6 pack of 8 oz Snapple, and two bottles of Vitamin Water. The total was $13.58 (at Target it would've been roughly $15). I wish all of the Walmart haters actually SHOPPED at a Walmart instead of making false statements based on hearsay.

The donuts at Tim Hortons suck. They're too caky. Krispy Kreme is better. However, I agree that a Walmart should be built.

Tim Hortons is for coffee and hot drinks the donuts are just donuts nothing special but their sandwiches are grand

I don't mind Wal-Mart coming to Brooklyn at Gateway,but I'm worry about the type of people that will come along with it...Low price=more ghetto people and crazy teenagers just there to cause trouble.

Archived