Supervisor who died on Rockaway Shuttle line shouldn't have been working in the rain

Harry

The track supervisor who tripped and fell to his death on a third rail Monday apparently shouldn't have been working in that morning's wet weather, union officials said.

NYC Transit safety regulations state workers shouldn't be near the electrified third rail if it is raining or the area is rain-slicked, as it was when track supervisor James Knell died along the Rockaway Shuttle line, according to Transport Workers Union Local 100 President John Samuelsen.

"How could this happen?" father-in-law Gregory Odette said. "They shouldn't have been working in the rain. I don't understand. Somebody made a mistake."

Track workers twice were pulled from tracks during heavy rainfall before the 4:30 a.m. tragedy, sources said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/04/28/2010-04-28_say_rain_rule_broken_in_train_death.html#ixzz0mS5YkwyG

post-1-133288581747_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288581747_thumb.jpg

today i read in an article in AM New York that there are actually boots that are designed to prevent electrocution for track workers (the article was not about this incident but rather about the (MTA) spending money on boots and other safety gear for people who work in offices, not on the tracks!). but this begs the question, how come Mr. Knell wasn't wearing the boots? especially in the rain

today i read in an article in AM New York that there are actually boots that are designed to prevent electrocution for track workers (the article was not about this incident but rather about the (MTA) spending money on boots and other safety gear for people who work in offices, not on the tracks!). but this begs the question, how come Mr. Knell wasn't wearing the boots? especially in the rain

Boots don't help when you fall across the third rail as what happened here.

Not new news. Transit doesn't currently buy them for the workers, however you can buy them with your own money. Just have to make sure they are insulated up to 600 volts. My brother still has a pair from when he was on the road.

Which is why workers should buy their own. Its like what they say for the army, keep in mind your gun is always made by the lowest bidder. Same goes for the city when it comes to uniforms and boots.

We can't buy our own boots. It's against regulation. You have to wear T.A. approved gear, issued by them. They will take you out of service if caught with non approved gear. Also, I don't think his boots had anything to do with this accident...

We can't buy our own boots. It's against regulation. You have to wear T.A. approved gear, issued by them. They will take you out of service if caught with non approved gear. Also, I don't think his boots had anything to do with this accident...
More then half of the T/A workers I've seen don't even wear the issued boots. And yes, in this incident the guys boots had nothing to do with it however, we are just discussing the topic of the boots.

More then half of the T/A workers I've seen don't even wear the issued boots. And yes, in this incident the guys boots had nothing to do with it however, we are just discussing the topic of the boots.

thats because those boots do more damage to your foot instead of protecting it. (MTA) always goes with the lowest bidder and these boots are horrible.

Really? More than half of the T.A. workers? That's a lot. In my department, third rail and signal, I've never seen anyone without approved safety boots, including supervisors. What department are you in?

Really? More than half of the T.A. workers? That's a lot. In my department, third rail and signal, I've never seen anyone without approved safety boots, including supervisors. What department are you in?
Well your in track, of course they will be more strict. I'm referring to C/Rs and T/Os. I see them wear all kinds of different types of boots. I don't think its enforced as much as say track department or signals.

Well your in track, of course they will be more strict. I'm referring to C/Rs and T/Os. I see them wear all kinds of different types of boots. I don't think its enforced as much as say track department or signals.

RTO is a different department with different regs. I was told that if a T/O or C/R chooses not to wear TA boots they can, but they are on there own if they suffer a foot injury. Also, there are several different approved foot wear, but it all depends on which dept. you work in. The Hytest boots that MoW workers are issued are "shock hazard" rated, I highly doubt that they would protect you if you came in full contact with the 3rd rail and I doubt you will find anyone willing to try either. As far as those boots go though, I like them and I can walk in them all day. Of course I change the insoles every month or so, but I have nothing bad to say about them.

RTO is a different department with different regs. I was told that if a T/O or C/R chooses not to wear TA boots they can, but they are on there own if they suffer a foot injury. Also, there are several different approved foot wear, but it all depends on which dept. you work in. The Hytest boots that MoW workers are issued are "shock hazard" rated, I highly doubt that they would protect you if you came in full contact with the 3rd rail and I doubt you will find anyone willing to try either. As far as those boots go though, I like them and I can walk in them all day. Of course I change the insoles every month or so, but I have nothing bad to say about them.

Yup agreed, those things are quite comfortable...no complaints here. I've left the insoles though.

Now I bet new rules will go into effect when it come to working in inclement weather on elevated tracks.Sadly It takes for something like this to happen to change the rules.;)

Those rules were already there. Someone violated those rules, that were already there.......

Yup agreed, those things are quite comfortable...no complaints here. I've left the insoles though.

They are comfortable, but huge and heavy. With the weight of a heavy rule book, behemoth mask, and heavy tools, it does become quite much, though.........

And they'd better start. Someone went down for a random a few weeks ago and was written up for not wearing the approved shoes.

And they'd better start. Someone went down for a random a few weeks ago and was written up for not wearing the approved shoes.

that sucks because those boots hurt like hell after a while walking on ballast.

that sucks because those boots hurt like hell after a while walking on ballast.

Then you get a Note from your foot doctor and the TA will work with you make sure you carry it on your person. That way when a TSS or Dispt come at you you are correct.

Then you get a Note from your foot doctor and the TA will work with you make sure you carry it on your person. That way when a TSS or Dispt come at you you are correct.

that i know. the boots are fine for a eight hour day. but when i have to flag in them for 12-15 hours they start to hurt. i may try some different insoles.

that i know. the boots are fine for a eight hour day. but when i have to flag in them for 12-15 hours they start to hurt. i may try some different insoles.

New insoles make all the difference with those boots.

Archived