On The Subject of R44 Retirements: Possible Preservation

Fan Railer

Really? I heard otherwise.

I can back up what Zman said. This past Friday there were only 5 trains of R44s on the road and the plan is that with the 12 R46s trains that were just transferred, the R44s won't be needed. Tomorrow is Monday, I'm sure everyone can wait a few more hours to see what happens. It's not a big deal anyway, it's not like were loosing a good car class.

Hold up, only 5 trains on Friday? Then I guess I must've seen all of them cuz I saw 4 on the (A) and a 4-car set on the (S).

I think it was 5 on the (A), I didn't ask about the (S). Still, there maybe none on Monday if everything goes to plan.

I can back up what Zman said. This past Friday there were only 5 trains of R44s on the road and the plan is that with the 12 R46s trains that were just transferred, the R44s won't be needed. Tomorrow is Monday, I'm sure everyone can wait a few more hours to see what happens. It's not a big deal anyway, it's not like were loosing a good car class.

True, and to the eyes of the regular commuter, the move would almost be unnoticeable.

@R110B IAWTP

I wasn't too much of an R44 fan especially with their small railfan wondows, due to my high height, I even have to squat down slightly to see out front while in the R46 I don't, since the railfan window on R46s (when going to the Rockaways) is larger. So hopefully when I go down to NYC this weekend and ride Pitkin Yard routes, I hope to get an unblocked (free of newspaper clippings or ad-posters) R46 railfan window and their better ride and sound

I hope to get an unblocked (free of newspaper clippings or ad-posters) R46 railfan window and their better ride and sound

I love the R44...it will be missed...this car has the best sounding brake release...just an opinion

I love the R44...it will be missed...this car has the best sounding brake release...just an opinion

Agreed. That's what I'll miss about the R-44's on the A line.

Gonna miss hearing them going above ground from Grant Ave. and taking them to the city.

The "Express Northbound" at Bowery is trackless. The Local track is still there. (Actually, I am not sure if they ever bothered to remove the rails that far north, even on the express track...)

I believe about 10 trains of R44s are still active in A line service.

The "Express Northbound" at Bowery is trackless. The Local track is still there. (Actually, I am not sure if they ever bothered to remove the rails that far north, even on the express track...)

I do remember seeing tracks on the northbound express trackway when I first started using the (J) on the regular in 2006. Since then I haven't really paid much attention as I usually get a 160 instead of a 42 on the (J) these days or it doesn't cross my mind.

I think the extra track is kept for delay management.

Also, I don't know how many R44s exactly, but I saw one of them on the Alpha today headed towards Lefferts while I was on the Echo at 23rd. This was between 1810 or 1814 hours.

1) That's what she said :P

2) No, I'll let you get bitten by the rats :P

I'll give you credit for the first one.

Archived