"MTA: Overtime Crackdown Would Save Millions" - NY1.com

The thing is in the TA if you use your sick days you get paid %100 of there value. If you save them for retirement you get paid %25 of there value. That is why the TA wants you to not use them.

Ahhh... I love that. My agency gives a lump sum payment for a maximum of 960 combined sick and annual leave and FLSA and n-FLSA compensatory time. On the flip side, we're also disciplined for too much time off that is either undocumented or not pre-approved. I've seen a supervisor, close to retirement, receive a write-up for calling out four days (one was a holiday that week) because he had to be home while contractors were putting on an addition that was delayed due to inclimate weather. How does he come in with documentation for that? A note from his contractor? He also had like 3,000 hours of time to burn from rarely being absent in 32 years. He wasn't paid for five days (his holiday pay was garnished, a move now being grieved) and his uniform allowance was delayed for six months.

These managers all over want us field personnel to come to work all day, every day. Chronic abusers are one thing, but those of us who show up for a full shift on a regular basis and accumulate time off, most of which we can't be compensated for at retirement... we show up every day, and then we're robbed of that loyalty and reliability when we retire? :confused:

About the OT issue with S/A's. I'm currently enrolled in a Shop Stewart class with the TWU and an S/A in my class said that they trying to get every S/A to turn down OT. By doing this they are trying to make the MTA be forced to hire back some of the laid off S/A. I hope that this plan gets the job done.

its a no win because if no one does the ot, you're stuck in the booth........thats the worst part.........

its a no win because if no one does the ot, you're stuck in the booth........thats the worst part.........

Yeah that's very true and I don't have a problem with that, it's the one's that sign up for the voluntary OT. I guess alot of people don't have a problem getting paid off the backs of of their former co-workers.

MTA Targets Overtime for Cost Savings

The MTA's efforts to overhaul how we do business continued this week with the announcement of plans to reduce overtime costs by $22 million in 2010 and $60 million annually starting in 2011. While some overtime is critical to service, the MTA has committed to reducing the unnecessary portion of its $560 million annual overtime expense.

read more http://mta.info/news/stories/?story=64

I am glad I read the article on the TA website first. Fact is they did say, some overtime is critical to keeping service running. That means this OT really doesn't affect RTO, or the DOB. We are critical to service and moving people. They do have something about LIRR Engineers getting paid extra when switching from diesel to electric, etc........

I did alot of OT recently, and they aint' talking about the DOB and RTO, cause they need us to move people, and know hiring more will cost them more. It's cheaper to pay our title of T/O, C/R, and B/O, overtime to move people on extra trips, cause we are providing more service and time, with the same benefits we get for 40hrs of work a week............

I guess according to some of the posters ridiculous statements about MTA racism, they should be jumping on the MTA now saying that since Metro North is mostly white, the MTA is attacking them on their sick days only paying 90% because they are white. Ridiculous? Yes. And so were the other accusations of racism.

I wouldn't cry either at 90% of 38.91 an hr. If my math is correct L/E, still get 35.01 an hr. That means they get more with 90% sick time pay, than I get working still by $3+. Besides if you are referring to my comment, guess what. I work here, and for those who work here we know, whether some want to admit it or not. We spoke of it in the DOB, we speak of it in RTO. Until you get here, I can care less of what you or anyone else who don't work here think............

Yse they must do 30/62 at LIRR and MNRR too, but most don't wanna leave there when they get that time. Job is sweeter than here...........

I wouldn't cry either at 90% of 38.91 an hr. If my math is correct L/E, still get 35.01 an hr. That means they get more with 90% sick time pay, than I get working still by $3+. Besides if you are referring to my comment, guess what. I work here, and for those who work here we know, whether some want to admit it or not. We spoke of it in the DOB, we speak of it in RTO. Until you get here, I can care less of what you or anyone else who don't work here think............

Yse they must do 30/62 at LIRR and MNRR too, but most don't wanna leave there when they get that time. Job is sweeter than here...........

I am here, and I see the racism from the black employees towards every other non black coworker, so again you assume something you are wrong about. Thank you for proving that you are the victim of yourself. Patton is the biggest racist in the B division. He cuts white workers time when they are late, but not black workers. I've seen him do this with my own eyes, not hearsay like racists like you like to use when saying everyone else is racist keeping you down. YOU are keeping YOU down.

I'll edit, because I'd like to add something. I listen to all the hate spewed down there and I hang out with all different types of people. I'm only sharing my personal stuff to cut your bs off before you can to spew it at me. I am white. I was born and grew up in New York City. I've never lived any where out of NYC, but have been to different places. I never stayed under a rock like some of you. I was the minority in every school I went to. Elementary, the majority was black and Hispanic, JHS was mostly black, HS was a mix of everything, but black and Hispanic were a slight majority. College was mostly Hispanic. I grew up with all different types of very good close friends. White, black, gay, Chinese, Korean, Indian, Czech, Different parts of the former Yugoslavia, West Indian black, Salvadorian, Puerto Rican, Cuban and Dominican, among other friends. I also have only dated one white girl, and the rest have been black, Hispanic, Indian, and 1 Chinese girl. My current girlfriend, who is probably going to end up my wife is Black Grenadian born there, but grew up here and in Canada, mostly black and Indian mix. I cut my own brother off because he referred to her with a racist word. I only bring all this up, so when you make your racist accusations because you assume I am racist because I am white, you can shove those accusations up your asses because I am far from racist.

I have been through more racism than all of you combined. In JHS I was constantly being attacked by the black and Hispanic students because I was white, yet the assistant principal did nothing because she was black as well. One day two black kids decided they wanted to start spitting on me. Everyone else that saw it thought it was hilarious. That's just one of the things I went through then and in other times growing up, yet I didn't become racist because of it. I've been assaulted on the job in transit and elsewhere by blacks because I am white, but no one did anything and no one helped me because they were black as well and down played it, but I still am not racist, and I have a right to be after what I have gone through, but I am not a f*cking idiot to judge millions by the acts of dozens through the years. I still let people prove to me whether they are crap or good.

As for some of the wonderful bigoted black workers I have witnessed, I haven't seen bigger racists and bigots yet other than them. I've never seen more anti gay people as some of the RTO black employees. Don't get me wrong, I've been around white, black, Hispanic, and Asian TA workers, and there are a few racists in every single group, but the worst are the black there. They don't want equal treatment to whites, they want preferential treatment. Before you attack, I am not saying all of them are, but a large number I have witnessed are like this. I say a large number I have witnessed. I am not talking about ones I have not talked to or seen. I hear stuff like that guy is a F*g, or that's what he gets for marrying a white woman bs and stuff like that.

It's funny, when anything negative happens, it's because they're black. Maybe it's because they are rude jackasses to everyone they encounter and that's why people treat them like sh*t. You want to see the racist? Look in the mirror. It's ironic since all the suffering black people have gone through, you would think they would be the least bigoted because they know how bad bigotry is. The ones that are good are the older black that went through the real struggle, before 1968. They are some of the smartest and good hearted people of any background I have ever met. They went through the racism, but refuse to be racist. They are well educated and speak well, no "word" or "dis" or crap like that. The whiners that are under 40 didn't go through a damn thing and cry because they didn't get their way, and blame it on racism. You want to know what racism is? Getting assaulted because of your back ground is racism. Getting killed because of your background is racism. Not getting hired because of your background is racism. Being treated like sh*t because you are an a**hole is not racism. This petty crap you're crying about of which is happening to all transit workers, not just black. Why don't you try and unite instead of crying about racism, oh yeah, that would require you calling a white coworker your brother. That won't do. You make me sick. Grow up and learn to be a god damn man and not a whiney b*tch.

I am here, and I see the racism from the black employees towards every other non black coworker, so again you assume something you are wrong about. Thanks you for proving that you are the victim of yourself. Pattaon is the biggest racist in the B division. He cuts white workers time when they are late, but not black workers. I'vce seen him do this with my own eyes, not hearsay like racists like you like to use when saying everyone else is racist keeping you down. YOU are keeping YOU down.

That is a very serious charge. Perhaps you should contact the IG's office?

I am here, and I see the racism from the black employees towards every other non black coworker, so again you assume something you are wrong about. Pattaon is the biggest racist in the B division. He cuts white workers time when they are late, but not black workers. I've seen him do this, not hearsay
There is a Superintendant in the DOB ohhh and the crowd goes wild call him out umm hmm Justin McCarthy Jr he has been labled as a racist even by the Union and I wouldn't put it past him he's a real douche bag

There is a Superintendant in the DOB ohhh and the crowd goes wild call him out umm hmm Justin McCarthy Jr he has been labled as a racist even by the Union and I wouldn't put it past him he's a real douche bag

if i ever met him or worked with him i would have spoke up to him even saying it to his face what he is remember i like to say as is and i`m not trying to be stupid here

I am glad I read the article on the TA website first. Fact is they did say, some overtime is critical to keeping service running. That means this OT really doesn't affect RTO, or the DOB. We are critical to service and moving people. They do have something about LIRR Engineers getting paid extra when switching from diesel to electric, etc........

I did alot of OT recently, and they aint' talking about the DOB and RTO, cause they need us to move people, and know hiring more will cost them more. It's cheaper to pay our title of T/O, C/R, and B/O, overtime to move people on extra trips, cause we are providing more service and time, with the same benefits we get for 40hrs of work a week............

is there any truth to the rumor that all ot must be approved by a line manager? ive been on vacation 2 weeks, so i havent been keeping up with whats going on..........

is there any truth to the rumor that all ot must be approved by a line manager? ive been on vacation 2 weeks, so i havent been keeping up with whats going on..........

Thats what I heard from several dispatchers, sounds like there starting to crack down.

Archived