Shutting off the HVAC

JohnQPine

This is a huge problem at the LI Bus division. I have complained to the MTA but have gotten no results. The problem is often drivers shut off the HVAC climate control, and the windows are locked shut. This happened to me today on one of the 1700s. Thank God the bus wasn't crowded. Sometimes they do it on crowded buses and then it smells really gross.

Its a health hazard. And on rainy days they love to shut the ventilation off and the windows get all fogged up and I cant see out.

I never see this on MTA Bus or NYCT Bus in the city. Isn't it a violation to shut off HVAC? It sure should be!:mad:

This is a huge problem at the LI Bus division. I have complained to the MTA but have gotten no results. The problem is often drivers shut off the HVAC climate control, and the windows are locked shut. This happened to me today on one of the 1700s. Thank God the bus wasn't crowded. Sometimes they do it on crowded buses and then it smells really gross.

Its a health hazard. And on rainy days they love to shut the ventilation off and the windows get all fogged up and I cant see out.

I never see this on MTA Bus or NYCT Bus in the city. Isn't it a violation to shut off HVAC? It sure should be!:mad:

On the 1700s, they go on and off on their own, those buses have climate control. But if the operator took it off, then thats a problem. On the flipside, if the bus was already smelling bad, the HVAC wouldnt do much to help as it would just make the problem worse.

Also, why do you just come on here to complain, dont you ever have anything good to post?

On the 1700s, they go on and off on their own, those buses have climate control. But if the operator took it off, then thats a problem. On the flipside, if the bus was already smelling bad, the HVAC wouldnt do much to help as it would just make the problem worse.

Also, why do you just come on here to complain, dont you ever have anything good to post?

Trust me, the HVAC helps get rid of the bad smells because they are usually coming from the people. Usually once its shut off its starts smelling like stale clothes, body odor, detergent, and cherry drinks (like red bull).

Sorry I complain alot about LIB, its gotten better but there's still alot of room for improvement.

The bus operators shut it off routinely, I see them hit a switch that shuts it off. Normally it cycles between high and low.

I never see this anywhere but at LIB. In Suffolk if they shut if off they open the windows. Only on LIB is everything shut with no ventilation. A big part of the problem is the passengers dont care. Even if the windows are unlocked. They like being in stuffy air. But I dont.:tdown:

Trust me, the HVAC helps get rid of the bad smells because they are usually coming from the people. Usually once its shut off its starts smelling like stale clothes, body odor, detergent, and cherry drinks (like red bull).

Sorry I complain alot about LIB, its gotten better but there's still alot of room for improvement.

The bus operators shut it off routinely, I see them hit a switch that shuts it off. Normally it cycles between high and low.

I never see this anywhere but at LIB. In Suffolk if they shut if off they open the windows. Only on LIB is everything shut with no ventilation. A big part of the problem is the passengers dont care. Even if the windows are unlocked. They like being in stuffy air. But I dont.:tdown:

Mmmm, usually it depends on which 1700, the ones I rode on had good ventilation, and there are others that have bad ventilation. My most recent ride was on 1740 on the N22 like weeks ago when it was raining like a b*itch, it smelled like sweaty feet and stuff, and the HVAC did ventilate it quite a bit, then it just got bad.

I just realized that i know you from youtube, lol I am njt5329

Anyway, I agree because I'm not a LI Bus person, but when the buses get hot i think the windows should be able to open when the AC isn't on or working... its a big problem and should be handled as such

They actually do this alot with the Orion Vs on Staten Island. It'll be a blazing hot day and the B/O would have the air shut off and the windows are locked now so it's sweltering inside the bus.

With the NGs though, the A/Cs have been on all the time since March. :tup:

They actually do this alot with the Orion Vs on Staten Island. It'll be a blazing hot day and the B/O would have the air shut off and the windows are locked now so it's sweltering inside the bus.

I noticed this after my excruciating ride on 6309 On The S74, while that was a good bus(I wish I had gotten a recording!), the ride was hot, terrible and long! I should've just waited for the 8pm x1 to the city!

You quoted my post :P

my bad (C)(S) I thought I had it above

Some units are just different

Why am I not suprised...Staten Island is sorta a step child like LI Bus too. :P

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; SPH-M900 Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Why don't you just ask the bus operator to turn on the ac and if they dont then ask them why they don't turn it on

No A/C, huh

Before complaining did you find out if the A/C even worked? This time of year sucks because the A/C units have not been touched since last year and alot of times on older units you start using it after it being off for 3-4 months it won't work.

Also, the driver may have figured the vents were enough. It's a judgement call. And some series of buses have ZERO power with the A/C blowing (RTSes),so that plays a part. However with locked windows, I would have called for a bus change but that's just my opinion.

Seriously,calm down. You endure a couple minutes of discomfort. It's not the end of the world.

And KR, you are my type of bus driver! Keep it rolling,I may just have to take a ride from Midtown to Queens one day soon.

i hate buses with windows that dont open :(

why does the MTA insist on locking the windows?? i remember back in the day with the PBL buses with the windows that could not only open but open like all the way

I'll take a wild guess and say it because of the jackasses that open the windows and leave them open in the winter with the heat on and vice versa in the summer and A/C. Plus you got dummies that throw things out the windows and have to shout out every homie the bus passes by.

He's An idiot and your gonna shut the shit up and be on your way like I said before ,Now don't let me get on you ...ya heard get the stepping go read something else (N)exis and get the hell out of my way

Hes not an idiot , hes one of few people that actually stands up for everyday people......Bus Drivers like you scare me :mad: If you have that kind of attitude online , what happens offline. I subscribed to his youtube , hes very smart and actually points out legit issues with all these fare hikes we users shouldn't have to put up with issues like this......

I'll take a wild guess and say it because of the jackasses that open the windows and leave them open in the winter with the heat on and vice versa in the summer and A/C. Plus you got dummies that throw things out the windows and have to shout out every homie the bus passes by.

well that's their business lol i like to keep the window on the bus open

No A/C, huh

Before complaining did you find out if the A/C even worked? This time of year sucks because the A/C units have not been touched since last year and alot of times on older units you start using it after it being off for 3-4 months it won't work.

Also, the driver may have figured the vents were enough. It's a judgement call. And some series of buses have ZERO power with the A/C blowing (RTSes),so that plays a part. However with locked windows, I would have called for a bus change but that's just my opinion.

Seriously,calm down. You endure a couple minutes of discomfort. It's not the end of the world.

And KR, you are my type of bus driver! Keep it rolling,I may just have to take a ride from Midtown to Queens one day soon.

The vents were closed as well. And the a/c was working when I was on that same bus earlier. The 1700s have no power loss with a/c,

Hes not an idiot , hes one of few people that actually stands up for everyday people......Bus Drivers like you scare me :mad: If you have that kind of attitude online , what happens offline. I subscribed to his youtube , hes very smart and actually points out legit issues with all these fare hikes we users shouldn't have to put up with issues like this......

I disagree. This guy does nothing but runs his mouth.

The vents were closed as well. And the a/c was working when I was on that same bus earlier. The 1700s have no power loss with a/c,

Not trying to be a jerk,but the A/C could have failed anytime between the time you rode the bus earlier and the time you got back on. Not too many transit B/Os want to be hot and sticky, the majority of B/Os started out in school buses and NEVER want to be driving around in a hot tin box ever again.

But sometimes operational restrictions force us into that situation, last summer I did NYC-Boston which is a 4 1/2hr trip and lost my A/C coming though Co-Op City on 95. There were no other buses in any other PPB yards to switch off so I popped the hatches and and kept the hammer down.

Locked windows are a PITA, but I understand why they do it. Sucks than you had a uncomfortable ride,but it's gonna happen now and then....no need to post it.

Why am I not suprised...Staten Island is sorta a step child like LI Bus too. :(

I HIGHLY disagree with that as I'm in Staten Island probably MORE than you are and I know how their buses run and operate. A majority of their O5s are fine, all they need is a paint job. Many have already received a paint job so your claim is bullshit.

If it bothers you so much then get off the bus, wait for the next one and quit with the childless bitching.

No bus ride is ever perfect.You are bound to run into some discomfort at any time.

IAWTP.

Do you really think that your B/O wants to be sweaty and uncomfortable while he or she is working? Then why would you think they turned off the HVAC,when most likely it is a defect not a preference that bus is uncomfortable. Only someone who has never done the job would think the B/O would prefer to be sweating their bits and pieces off instead of being comfortable.

I HIGHLY disagree with that as I'm in Staten Island probably MORE than you are and I know how their buses run and operate. A majority of their O5s are fine, all they need is a paint job. Many have already received a paint job so your claim is bullshit.

If it bothers you so much then get off the bus, wait for the next one and quit with the childless bitching.

IAWTP. Yukon & Castleton Depots have dramatically improved, my recent ride on 6309 on the S74 was a one long ride, but the bus was hauling ass all the way to St.George & she looked good!

Note to self : take the x1 instead of the S74.

Do you really think that your B/O wants to be sweaty and uncomfortable while he or she is working? Then why would you think they turned off the HVAC,when most likely it is a defect not a preference that bus is uncomfortable. Only someone who has never done the job would think the B/O would prefer to be sweating their bits and pieces off instead of being comfortable.

I agree 100%, and I've seen it first hand when my uncle used to drive buses & even now at times with KR. It even gets worse when customers would whine, ***** and moan about certain things to the B/O when the B/O gets them from point A to point B.

Why am I not suprised...Staten Island is sorta a step child like LI Bus too. :P

Trust me it's not just Long Island Bus & Staten Island. I hate when it's like that on CS & JAM Depot buses.

On rainy days they'll be hot, wet, humid, and very stuffy. On certain CS buses the windows are locked so you can't even open the windows.

I remember one hot June day I was on the Q30, it was a packed RTS (with the coach seats) there was no AC and there was no ventilation, I literally felt a lack of oxygen. I was furious because that didn't make any sense, as I went to get off the bus a lot of people were getting off so I that's the only reason why I stayed on.

Archived