A vote against Select Bus Service for all the wrong reasons

NX Express

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Why not give it to the B41 because its whole Flatbush/livingston st blocks are big enough for a sbs and it goes from jay st to kings plaza.

With just as the same amount of subway connections.

for starters, the Q35 (at, and south of the junction) & the B103 (for one stop, @ the junction) would have to "borrow" the potential SBS lane....

....and GC is spot on w/ the congestion on Flatbush, north of the junction... the more north you travel on flatbush (esp. b/w where it "bends" @ cortelyou, on up to say, what is that, lincoln rd (before washington spills into flatbush; I know there's a gas station over there... correct me if I'm wrong on the actual street) you'd be hard-pressed to consistently get two free-flowing lanes of traffic, in either direction....

in english, unless you start banning parking along during the time SBS' would run, SBS B41's would be stuck in the same one-lane congestion all the other vehicular traffic have to end up enduring along Flatbush av....

I always said they should ban parking on Flatbush, and other streets like it (Nostrand, along the same stretch, and especially the narrow Myrtle over here in Ridgewood, and even Metropolitan in Middle Village and Grand Ave. in Maspeth, Jamaica Ave. etc).

How many people get to park for any one business? It's likely the business owners themselves, and customers who drive end up driving around looking for parking and have to come from blocks away anyway. So parking only benefits the lucky few, and then many abuse it by double parking; especially deliveries. That's what really messes up the traffic.

That's why I'm not optimistic about either SBS or even LTD on many of these streets.

What they needed was alleyways behind the stores, like some other cities have (and even some residential areas in Queens and Crown Heights), that could be used for parking and deliveries.

I have to probably support CB15 on this, but for other reasons---putting it on Rogers Avenue sets it up for failure, as it misses the major Fulton Street business district area.

To me, if a route should be proposed for SBS, it should be the B46, as the second-busiest and third-busiest routes already have it (the B44 is the fifth-busiest route in the system). The B46 is the busiest route in the system and may be the busiest in the USA.

I agree with you, and definitely think the B46 needs SBS, but I just don't see it working out. Traffic is a nightmare! I can't figure out how they would get around that. The traffic light sensors could work a little, but during rush hours traffic crawls! So then it seems the only solution would be to extend the stops, and have a local, limited, and SBS express service.

I think the B44 SBS will run smooth.

This is an unjust thing for Brooklyn Community Board 15 to do by voting against SBS on Nostrand Avenue. It would speed up their commute and connections to the (2) and (5) at the Junction. But on the other hand, I think they oppose it because of what happened on Fordham Road around Arthur Avenue when SBS took effect there. Most of the auto shops lost their business because of lack of parking. In my opinion, CB15 opposes it since they fear that the bus lanes on Nostrand Av would result in the small businesses in Sheepshead Bay would either lose a lot of customers to the Junction or just shut down altogether.

The Board made the right decision. You only know half the story. Read my comments at SecondAvenueSagas.com. I am not going to repeat myself.

The Board made the right decision. You only know half the story. Read my comments at SecondAvenueSagas.com. I am not going to repeat myself.

I agree with the fact that those in Sheepshead Bay feel the MTA should be prioritizing its spending since they are adding SBS on the B44 while cutting the B4 in Sheepshead Bay. Not to mention the MTA doesn't specify how many parking spots those in Sheepshead Bay will lose.

Actually aemoreira, the M15 on Manhattan's East Side is (NYCT)Busiest and maybe the USA's as well.

Plus NY Ave. should be the northbound route that a proposed B44 SBS should take. However NY Ave would have to be become fully a 1-way street the whole way between Glenwood and Fulton. Right now (correct me guys if i wrong) NY Ave. is a two-way street between Clarkson(Kings County Medical Center) and Glenwood.

New York Avenue is actually a two-way street between Ave.H and East New York Avenue/Lincoln Road. And I don't know about traffic conditions if it will become a one-way street because traffic around Church Ave and Linden Blvd. can be trouble.

Community Board 15 votes against SBS on the B44.

have been planning to unveil a Select Bus Service route from Sheepshead Bay itself to Williamsburg with subway connections to the B, Q, 2, 5, A, C, J, M and Z trains.

http://secondavenuesagas.com/2010/06/04/a-vote-against-select-bus-service-for-all-the-wrong-reasons/

Wait, what? And where's the (G) train? Someone might not have done their homework...

I can understand why the (MTA) wants to remove the B44 from Rogers Av, but they seem a tad bit hypocritical. For example, the (MTA) is rerouting the B69 and B70 under the service cuts to go out of the way to serve higher ridership areas instead of staying on their normal routes. But now they want to simpify the B44's route for doing the same thing - even though it gets a lot of ridership on New York Av. For example, the B6 and B16 run on Flatlands Av and 13/14 Avenues/Shore Road when they could, for the most part, stay on Glenwood Road and Fort Hamiliton Pkwy, respectively. Perhaps the fact that SBS is involved in the reroute complicates things, but my point is, some routes are going to have to go out of their way to serve more passengers and use their potential. And now passengers will have to hike over a block on Fulton St to connect to the (A) or (C). I'm glad I'm only an occasional B44 rider.

I'd hate to have to walk from Rogers to NY Ave everyday... say, an older rider carrying grocery bags or anything. My elderly grandmother for example works on Church Av but lives near a Local stop on the B44 and takes the B35 to the B44... Now as long as the local bus remains on NY Ave she'll be alright but if not... Well she could take the B65 from Rogers Ave but that'd be a little inconvient still... Although I am concerned about traffic becuase Upper Nostrand Ave is quite the traffic nightmare sometimes... Geez I always thought one-way streets [except 5th Ave or something] were supposed to be immune to that. I'd support SBS infineitly more if this reroute idea was dropped... I'd hate for the MTA to have to learn the hard way. Sorry if it seems like I'm just restating the facts.

Archived