End of Overnight Brooklyn LIRR service

Shortline Bus

Anyone here directly affected by the end of Overnight aka 24/7 LIRR service to/from Atlantic and Flatbush in Brooklyn?:tdown::mad:

Personally this is the one cut i most disagree with the (MTA) concerning the LIRR. For many now having to travel to Penn Station overnights and piggyback to many parts of Brooklyn now adds as much as 2 hours to the rider's commute. I can understand closing the Nostrand Ave station overnights but still this is a serve cut.

Reactions?

*GASP*

How the hell do you cut service on a major line like that?

Is the (MTA) on crack?

Is anyone doing anything about this?

Infamous if there are doomsday II cuts, I have heard rumors that all Overnight LIRR service including Penn Station would be canned altogether.

The headway overnight to Brooklyn is every 30 minutes I think, as a combination of hourly Hempstead and FR.

So Amtrak as someone who lives in Long Island and I assume uses the LIRR is this a bad call by the (MTA)?

Or least run overnight bus service between Flatbush-Atlantic and Jamaica?

I was on a train to Atlantic Terminal at 7AM on a weekend, which is only 1 hour after the MTA proposes to resume service. There were about 6-7 people in each car of the train.

I think that reducing it to hourly or 90 min at night is a good idea even if it means not every train connects, but cutting it outright, especially on weekdays, is a bad idea. Substitute bus service is a no-no, as people would just take the subway from Jamaica.

I was on a train to Atlantic Terminal at 7AM on a weekend, which is only 1 hour after the MTA proposes to resume service. There were about 6-7 people in each car of the train.

I think that reducing it to hourly or 90 min at night is a good idea even if it means not every train connects, but cutting it outright, especially on weekdays, is a bad idea. Substitute bus service is a no-no, as people would just take the subway from Jamaica.

Agreed. I am not trying to pit towns/routes against anyone but i would rather had either the Far Rockaway or Hempstead lines loses overnight service than canning all Flatbush/Atlantic bound service overnights. Especially overnight those in Far Rock can also use the (A) at nearby Mott Ave station.

And not to get too off topic when the recession ends i hope the long rumored start of 'limited' overnight service on Metro North ie Hudson=GCT-Croton Harmon Harlem=White Plains-GCT and New Haven=Stamford-GCT get started w/ 90-minute headways.

Shortline, no one in their right mind would take a bus from LIRR Jamaica to LIRR Flatbush av; I don't care what time of day it is....

part of the reason Atlantic av is as crowded as it is around 1-2am, is b/c of the ppl. coming off the RR... so IMO, completely eliminating LIRR service to Brooklyn on weekday, late nights is a very bad idea... you force people to have to take a train to Penn, to get to Brooklyn... the (2) from Penn station to Atlantic av takes about 20 mins or so, since trains are running local in manhattan at that time

(20 mins, all assuming no late night work is being done or w/e)...

even if it's one LIRR train every 90 mins to Brooklyn, at least it's something.... those late night trains don't even have to stop @ ENY or Nostrand av....

The trains that leave Flatbush station, either go to Hempstead or Far Rockaway... both of which have similar ridership levels IINM (which aren't all that high)... I think, large in part, this is the reason, why they're cutting trains to Brooklyn, late nights....

I don't see why they can't just run 2 or 3 trains b/w 12am-5am or w/e, b/w LIRR Jamaica & LIRR Flatbush av... why do those late night trains HAVE to come from Far Rockaway or Hempstead.....

Shortline, no one in their right mind would take a bus from LIRR Jamaica to LIRR Flatbush av; I don't care what time of day it is....

part of the reason Atlantic av is as crowded as it is around 1-2am, is b/c of the ppl. coming off the RR... so IMO, completely eliminating LIRR service to Brooklyn on weekday, late nights is a very bad idea... you force people to have to take a train to Penn, to get to Brooklyn... the (2) from Penn station to Atlantic av takes about 20 mins or so, since trains are running local in manhattan at that time

(20 mins, all assuming no late night work is being done or w/e)...

even if it's one LIRR train every 90 mins to Brooklyn, at least it's something.... those late night trains don't even have to stop @ ENY or Nostrand av....

The trains that leave Flatbush station, either go to Hempstead or Far Rockaway... both of which have similar ridership levels IINM (which aren't all that high)... I think, large in part, this is the reason, why they're cutting trains to Brooklyn, late nights....

I don't see why they can't just run 2 or 3 trains b/w 12am-5am or w/e, b/w LIRR Jamaica & LIRR Flatbush av... why do those late night trains HAVE to come from Far Rockaway or Hempstead.....

Also B35, some of those LIRR riders live in Central Brooklyn and use the LIRR to get to work in Hosptials/Medical Centers and Nursing Homes in Eastern Queens and Nassau County. Those workers are Nurses, Home Health Attendants, etc and just another bad job by the (MTA) on their crappy research and study in planning these doomsday cuts.

I agree 100% B35 on your above statement as you could just have the Flatbush Bound trains skip and close the ENY and Nostrand stations, overnights as a compromise to save money. ENY riders do have the (J) train and Q24 as alternatives. If anything train service that should have been cut to save LIRR Flatbush it should be IMO be Far Rockaway late night service.

Riders on the LIRR Far Rock line, ie Inwood, etc. late night are either driving or using the (A) train at Mott Ave. The Far Rock cut would have been more fair imo then canning overnight LIRR Brooklyn service. And since Hempstead is Long Island largest town, i have no problem providing limited 90 minute-2 hour service between 1-5am as alternative to busy N6 service to Queens and the 'city.'

The Hempstead and Far Rock are still running as shuttle only late nights between Jamaica and those 2 branches so i am sure it would not cost that much money to keep them running overnights. I am suprised this LIRR cut has not gotten more media attention.

Why is everyone saying to take the (2) from Penn? Just save the Zone 1 fare and take the (J) to the (A).

Why?

Because the (A) doesn't take you to LIRR Flatbush av....

Matter fact, it doesn't connect to any of the trains that currently serve Atlantic av-Pacific st while in Brooklyn.... that's the problem....

during those hours, who's gonna walk around downtown brooklyn from Hoyt-Schermerhorn (which is the closest stop to LIRR Flatbush av), getting off the (A)

to Nevins for the (4)...

to Dekalb for the (D)(N)(Q)...

to Hoyt for the (2)...

I'm not even talking about w/e safety concerns ppl. have walking around all hours of the night... just on the notion that it's cumbersome & all out the way... When you're in the subway system, the average person does not want to leave the system, to have to enter it again to catch another train....

^^ this is exactly why ppl. frown upon OOS transfers, but that's a whole 'nother issue.

Taking the (J) to the (A) only helps if you're getting off at LIRR ENY or LIRR Nostrand av.

Why is everyone saying to take the (2) from Penn? Just save the Zone 1 fare and take the (J) to the (A).

Amtrak7 not everyone is going to Bed Stuvy or nearby:eek:. If you live anywhere in Brooklyn south of Eastern Parkway this cut hurts and adds at least 30 minutes or much more to your travel time. Riders also transfer to other subway lines at Atlantic/Flatbush such as the (D)(N)(Q) and (2)(4) routes as well far away from where the (A) train stops.

Again i agree with B35. You could close ENY and Nostrand stations between 1-5am as you could use the (J)train and the Q24 bus as alternatives to save $$. However the LIRR should keep Flatbush station open. The trains overnight still will run anyhow even as 'deadhead' trips along that line so why not just run at least 2 trips between 1-5am anyhow?:(

Why?

Because the (A) doesn't take you to LIRR Flatbush av....

Matter fact, it doesn't connect to any of the trains that currently serve Atlantic av-Pacific st while in Brooklyn.... that's the problem....

during those hours, who's gonna walk around downtown brooklyn from Hoyt-Schermerhorn (which is the closest stop to LIRR Flatbush av), getting off the (A)

to Nevins for the (4)...

to Dekalb for the (D)(N)(Q)...

to Hoyt for the (2)...

Actually, Lafayette Avenue on the (A) is closer than Hoyt.

Ever since the LIRR was taken over from PRR by (NYCT), they have been running from city zone service like it was a provoked hornet's nest. There are so many closed stations it's not even funny, this is just insult to injury.

- A

It would be nice if they could offer a late night (J) extended to Atlantic Ave as an alternate to Jamaica

And how do you plan to do that?

The exact hours of the cuts are 0000-0500 weekdays and 0000-0600 weekends.

The headway overnight to Brooklyn is every 30 minutes I think, as a combination of hourly Hempstead and FR.

Incorrect.Recently was at Atlantic and the overnight out of there consists of 2 trains to Long Beach 2 hours apart and two Hempstead trains.

Incorrect.Recently was at Atlantic and the overnight out of there consists of 2 trains to Long Beach 2 hours apart and two Hempstead trains.

See guys that my point. That basically already every hour-90 minute headways to/from Atlantic before the canning of overnight service.

Plus the Hempstead branch is already running to/from Jamaica as a shuttle in these cuts so how hard is it to run it to/from Brooklyn every 90 minute-2 hours? I am sure this cut is not saving the (MTA) alot of money at most $500,000 maybe.

While it stinks for anything to be cut, but IMO ending overnight service on the Far Rockaway or even closing East NY and Nostrand Stations late nights should have been done first before this cut. As i said working class people from Brooklyn who don't have cars ie Nurses, Home Health Attendants, etc. who work in Eastern Queens/Nassau and use the LIRR now have a much longer ride.

Bad job by the (MTA).:tdown::mad:

Archived