Long Island Bus RTS

RH6291

LIB's Mitchel Field depot is down the street from Nassau Community College, and Roosevelt Field is just around the corner from that - with the N16 originating from RF and going to Hempstead, maybe they should run a few more buses just to handle the loads of students getting on. It still goes by Nassau County's Health and Human Services building on Charles Lindbergh Boulevard, and even more people have to cram on the bus especially if the bus managed to make it to the final stop on campus by the student lounge just at the right time between class sessions.

I wish Nassau's streets could handle artics. That way, the B/O wouldn't get pissed at all the lazy idiots around me that sit in the handicapped spots and blare their crappy Top 40 music through their headphones, and they could handle the rush hour crowd.

Here's one of the old Orion Vs from the early 1990s, with a black grille.

http://gallery.bustalk.info/displayimage.php?pos=-7339

I knew Nassau wouldn't be able to handle it - a lot of suburban routes (N1, N2, N15, N16, etc.) run on narrow streets and can't make those tight turns the normal Orions can...

I can tell it was a long time ago - the last time I saw "NYNEX" printed on anything, the N64 was the hottest thing on the market and a little company called Rare released a game based on the newest James Bond movie, two years after it was even released in theaters.

Why does it say "N4" on that RTS' run plate? I thought those things only ran numbers or only had the letter "X" in them. I wouldn't know..

LIB's Mitchel Field depot is down the street from Nassau Community College, and Roosevelt Field is just around the corner from that - with the N16 originating from RF and going to Hempstead, maybe they should run a few more buses just to handle the loads of students getting on. It still goes by Nassau County's Health and Human Services building on Charles Lindbergh Boulevard, and even more people have to cram on the bus especially if the bus managed to make it to the final stop on campus by the student lounge just at the right time between class sessions.

I wish Nassau's streets could handle artics. That way, the B/O wouldn't get pissed at all the lazy idiots around me that sit in the handicapped spots and blare their crappy Top 40 music through their headphones, and they could handle the rush hour crowd.

Here's one of the old Orion Vs from the early 1990s, with a black grille.

http://gallery.bustalk.info/displayimage.php?pos=-7339

The (Nassau) streets can handle artics. Coming from someone who has driven an artic before, let me tell you that it's not much different from driving a 40'er at all. Their depot's can't handle the artics. Any line that uses 40 foot buses can use 60 foot buses. You just have to know what you are doing, and it's not that hard at all..... But for some it is.... I still can't figure out how though.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

They used to Run RTS along time ago.

:cry::cry::cry: You just had to remind me how old I am right?????

You just have to know what you are doing, and it's not that hard at all..... But for some it is.... I still can't figure out how though.

I think it is a mind game for some people. I was terrified of making the jump from a 35 foot RTS to a 45 foot MCI. Now I drive these bad boys around like I'm driving my car. My nevousness cost me some seniority but I guess I can live with that.

I know of the N16, 35, and 43 running through the back of Nassau and stopping behind the library (one of the primary stops, the other being by the Student Union building, which is the major one) and the roads running through campus are pretty narrow.

Still, if they can handle the city, they can handle the streets. Don't think NYCT would like having them operate over 10 miles away on unfamiliar soil.

The (Nassau) streets can handle artics. Coming from someone who has driven an artic before, let me tell you that it's not much different from driving a 40'er at all. Their depot's can't handle the artics. Any line that uses 40 foot buses can use 60 foot buses. You just have to know what you are doing, and it's not that hard at all..... But for some it is.... I still can't figure out how though.

:cry::cry::cry: You just had to remind me how old I am right?????

IINM, it's not the depots that can't handle artics; it's the terminals that cannot handle them, especially Hempstead Transit Center and 165 Street Terminal, and the only gate that could be modified to take them is Gate 14, which could be filled in and combined with Gate 13.

As for those old buses, I suspect that they are from the 1201-1658 batch, and the 1 was replaced with a 4. That was when LIB also had a handful of Gilligs on the roster (500-561). Those 1981 RTSs may or may not have run with New Looks transferred from NYCT, but were definitely gone (along with the Gilligs and most of the 579-599 batch) when the buses now numbered 1526-1632 came in.

I don't know anything about 165th Street, but I know about Hempstead - although it does have room for buses to be parked and in their respective bays, an artic would take up the entire damn bay and stick out to the divider that splits the pavement reserved for layovers from the terminal, and it wouldn't be able to back out - this is worse for the Main St. side, where there's just enough space for buses to get through...

I don't know anything about 165th Street, but I know about Hempstead - although it does have room for buses to be parked and in their respective bays, an artic would take up the entire damn bay and stick out to the divider that splits the pavement reserved for layovers from the terminal, and it wouldn't be able to back out - this is worse for the Main St. side, where there's just enough space for buses to get through...

Which is why Gates 12-14 should be filled in with concrete; N6 buses (articulated) could travel to this gate. Other gate assignments would be changed up as follows:

1. N40/1 to Mineola would move to Gates 22 and 23.

2. The N40 to Freeport would move to Gate 9, which was last used by the defunct N17. (Gate 11 would be needed to stack N6 artics two at a time).

2. The N48/49 would move to Gates 4 and 5.

3. The N27 would move to Gate 6.

Gates 12-14 would then be filled in to allow for artics to drop off and pick-up customers.

The MTA may need to consider operating the N6 out of Baisley Park in the future when everything can truly be consolidated (with a dedicated fleet of LIB buses housed at Baisley Park for the N6). Baisley Park can handle artics. The interline with the N16 would be ended as a result of transferring the N6 to BP.

(At BP, the Q112 would move to JFK Depot.)

Alternatively, Baisley Park could be designated a third Long Island Bus garage and BP's routes moved (BP currently has 100 buses). BP's routes would be the N1, N2, N4, N6, and N8...artics for the N4 (split with RVC) and N6.

Rockville Centre would be compensated by getting the N16 and the N19.

IINM, it's not the depots that can't handle artics; it's the terminals that cannot handle them, especially Hempstead Transit Center and 165 Street Terminal, and the only gate that could be modified to take them is Gate 14, which could be filled in and combined with Gate 13.

As for those old buses, I suspect that they are from the 1201-1658 batch, and the 1 was replaced with a 4. That was when LIB also had a handful of Gilligs on the roster (500-561). Those 1981 RTSs may or may not have run with New Looks transferred from NYCT, but were definitely gone (along with the Gilligs and most of the 579-599 batch) when the buses now numbered 1526-1632 came in.

165th St. can handle artics fine, if the B/Os get training for it.

http://gallery.bustalk.info/albums/ripta42/joec2/MSBA5508_Jun95JC.jpg

There's a good picture of the Columbia Street side of Hempstead - you can see all the buses on layover there. Check out that old-school Fishbowl diving into the bay for what I can assume to be the N6... well, one of them.

Running artics would help, as the N6 is LIB's BUSIEST route. You'd be hardpressed to find an N6 with seats empty.

165th St. can handle artics fine, if the B/Os get training for it.

No. Its been stated many times in this forum. There too many buses go in and out of 165 St, and then there is also safety, capacity, parking, space issues, etc. They have to demolished the entire 165 St terminal and build a brand new modern terminal that can easily accommodate articulated bus vehicle.

Archived