R rerouted to 63rd St

rockdove

I went to the Queensbridge station on Saturday to see an R train pull in to the station. I boarded and passed Roosevelt Island and 63rd St, but the next stop was 57th St 7th Ave, not 6th Ave.

I overlooked this when I checked out the track map. It's marked like a cross over but it is actually three blocks..

detail-47-63.png

I thought this might have been a new connection opened for the future 2nd avenue line but I'm guessing this was built with the 63rd St line construction in the 80s.

Does anyone know where the R joined the F line, at 74th St or at 36th St?

I went to the Queensbridge station on Saturday to see an R train pull in to the station. I boarded and passed Roosevelt Island and 63rd St, but the next stop was 57th St 7th Ave, not 6th Ave.

I overlooked this when I checked out the track map. It's marked like a cross over but it is actually three blocks..

detail-47-63.png

I thought this might have been a new connection opened for the future 2nd avenue line but I'm guessing this was built with the 63rd St line construction in the 80s.

Does anyone know where the R joined the F line, at 74th St or at 36th St?

Yeah I was on the Bay Ridge 95th St bound R Saturday afternoon. The R switched over to 21st on the F then Roosevelt Island then Lexington 63rd St before returning to 5th Ave 57th St. There were notices posted up where it said the Bay Ridge bound R would skip Queens Plaza and Lexington 59th St.

Also....Wait. What were you doing over there in 21st Queensbridge?....... :eek:

Yeah I was on the Bay Ridge 95th St bound R Saturday afternoon. The R switched over to 21st on the F then Roosevelt Island then Lexington 63rd St before returning to 5th Ave 57th St. There were notices posted up where it said the Bay Ridge bound R would skip Queens Plaza and Lexington 59th St.

Also....Wait. What were you doing over there in 21st Queensbridge?....... :eek:

Lol, does that really even matter to you what he was doing there? Either way this service reroute isn't particularly new. The dead ends on the station of Lexington Ave on the (F) is what they are planning to use to Second Ave.

Strike that, it isn't a crossover between 60th and 63rd streets. Otherwise the R would have stopped at 5th Avenue /59th St. There are apparently four tracks under 63rd Street, two continuing past 6th avenue and turning south to join the express tracks at 57th St/7th avenue.

Archived