MTA to pull all funding on Long Island Bus (bye bye bus service?)

w8Hou

i drive for LIB and i cant seem to see it go private. there is no private company out there i think that can take the system on with raising fares to a much higher fare and passengers wont be able to ride the system because of it.

last time i check yes nassau needs to put more money in and there is a news report of them offering 10.5 million starting next year and increase its funding . which it needs to do.

MTA dont kid yourself the nassau system for its size makes money. what did i read its the 2nd largest suburban system.

i hope they can solve there problems.

NYBS and LL were fine. I think it's case by case for the other 5.

TBC and GL desperately needed to be taken over. It would really be great if the unions can agree to allow some routes to be swapped around so deadheading can be more efficient with buses ending their runs closer to the depots than to drive further to their respective depots.

Give LI Bus back to Nassau County, or to private companies. Hell, give MTA Bus back to the respective companies (if the owners are even still alive...I remember the owners of Queens Surface were quite old).

You're joking... those previous private operators enjoy lots and lots and lots and lots of money. They took the money and retired. BTW, the city gave MTA Bus blank checks anyway so they really dont care if MTA destroying MTA Bus Company division.

Give LI Bus back to Nassau County, or to private companies. Hell, give MTA Bus back to the respective companies (if the owners are even still alive...I remember the owners of Queens Surface were quite old).

I AGREE!!!!!!! 100% on that one.

You think thats the answer.

MTA has the worst management structure there is.there is a boss watching another boss. LIB never had superintendents. Now MTA comes in sends over superintendents and what do they do. they drive around watching dispatchers. when at LIB dispatchers used to do that work. to me thats a waste of 100+ k a year. when MTA came in at LIB they gave all new titles to everyone. look how much money they waste. see for youself http://www.seethroughny.net

i would never say i hope they close down mta bus or anything like that. MTA is the one that has the problem with how they handle money. everyone working weather you drive a bus or something has a family,bills kids etc and cant afford to lose there jobs because of a company thats waste's money.

The (MTA) should take control of the following:

N1,4,6,20,21,22,22A,24,31 and the 32 as apart of MTA Bus and NYCT

(NYCT) NYCT

N1/N6 as well as the 22 and N24 would have to come out of Queens Village,

(MTA) Bus

N4 and N22A would come out of Baisley Park, It would replace the QM21's place, send the QM21 to JFK, Jamaica is to full.

N20/21 would be out of College Point, its a CNG depot and it has room.

N31/32 would be out of Far Rockaway Depot.

N33 would be controled by Long Beach Bus inc, If they want.

This would ease those Normal Queens - Long Island passengers and it would be a smart move for the (MTA).

The rest of Leave it to Nassau County.

Sooo, the MTA should take all of the profitable runs and then you're going to try to privatize all of the runs which struggle. Yeah, good move. I see that working.:P

Sooo, the MTA should take all of the profitable runs and then you're going to try to privatize all of the runs which struggle. Yeah, good move. I see that working.:P

MTA has no control on which runs would get privatize if any. Nassau county owns LIB so MTA cant say which runs its wants..

All I know is that the people of Nassau County better hope that the lines do NOT get privatized, considering that the county doesn't want to put in its fair share already. A private company in a similar situation as the MTA will only resort to slashing service in order to maximize profit or curtail loss.

All I know is that the people of Nassau County better hope that the lines do NOT get privatized, considering that the county doesn't want to put in its fair share already. A private company in a similar situation as the MTA will only resort to slashing service in order to maximize profit or curtail loss.

i hope it dont go private either.

last read i saw nassau saying it will pay 10.5 million for next budget upping from the 9.1 million from last year.. so we will see what happens..

If a private company takes over the route, they can still be subsidized by the government.

Let's say the government uses union workers and pays $30/hr and a private company uses nonunion workers and pays $20/hr, the private company could run the bus lines at 2/3 the cost that the government does.

If a route costs $300,000 to run by a government agency and $200,000 to run by a private company, and $150,000 of that is made up in fares, it is cheaper for the government to pay $50,000 to the private company to run the route (plus some profit for the private company) than to pay $150,000 to run it by itself.

Archived