MTA to pull all funding on Long Island Bus (bye bye bus service?)

w8Hou

The (MTA) should take control of the following:

N1,4,6,20,21,22,22A,24,31 and the 32 as apart of MTA Bus and NYCT

(NYCT) NYCT

N1/N6 as well as the 22 and N24 would have to come out of Queens Village,

(MTA) Bus

N4 and N22A would come out of Baisley Park, It would replace the QM21's place, send the QM21 to JFK, Jamaica is to full.

N20/21 would be out of College Point, its a CNG depot and it has room.

N31/32 would be out of Far Rockaway Depot.

N33 would be controled by Long Beach Bus inc, If they want.

This would ease those Normal Queens - Long Island passengers and it would be a smart move for the (MTA).

The rest of Leave it to Nassau County.

If the MTA cut about 1/3 of express bus service in the city, that money could be re-directed to Nassau County for its bus operations---and not just as a one-time credit.

In the future, the MTA and Nassau County need to land on a deal of contracting the system out (but retaining MetroCard).

If the MTA cut about 1/3 of express bus service in the city, that money could be re-directed to Nassau County for its bus operations---and not just as a one-time credit.

Except the notion that the (MTA) should subsidize the responsibility of another entity is partially why they're losing money. It was bad enough the student metrocards were allowed to be kept, but cutting city service because Nassau County refuses to pay it's fair share is perpetuating a bad precedence. If Nassau County officials refuse to pay for Long Island bus, then the (MTA) should retain the right to cut funding.

Don't like it? Go to your elected officials and tell them to pay their fair share!

Except the notion that the (MTA) should subsidize the responsibility of another entity is partially why they're losing money. It was bad enough the student metrocards were allowed to be kept, but cutting city service because Nassau County refuses to pay it's fair share is perpetuating a bad precedence. If Nassau County officials refuse to pay for Long Island bus, then the (MTA) should retain the right to cut funding.

Don't like it? Go to your elected officials and tell them to pay their fair share!

If it were local buses being cut in the city, I would throw a fit. But it would be express buses being cut. Except for a few areas, the areas where express bus service would be cut would still have frequent local bus service.

The MTA needs to reduce the number of express bus schedules being operated anyhow.

If it were local buses being cut in the city, I would throw a fit. But it would be express buses being cut. Except for a few areas, the areas where express bus service would be cut would still have frequent local bus service.

The MTA needs to reduce the number of express bus schedules being operated anyhow.

Nothing should go to Nassau regardless of what gets cut.

What needs to be cut is Mangano's additude. He's getting a halfway decent operation for his county and is paying practicly pennies for it. He should ether man up (and pay a fair share) or shut up. What he has to budget for LIB in a year wouldn't buy the TA a train of 160Bs.

I actually agree with Mangano somewhat, however. The sysem can be done for cheaper if a private operator does it.

The MTA needs to be changed in terms of how it is run; let it have the subways, but the bus network should be operated by contractors who can exact more productivity (with the MTA acting as the purchasing agent for vehicles only). Perhaps the heavier local routes can be left under MTA owned-and-operated status, but lower routes existing primarily for "network coverage" and express routes should be contracted out. There is/was a discussion on this on BusChat that I will bring here that dealt with that topic.

There are many companies around here that could provide the service for less and utilize private contractors to that end...primarily the big school bus contractors and charter companies around here (i.e., Jofaz, Atlantic Express, First Student, Academy Bus, WE Transporation, Consolidated Bus Transit, and many others). A contracting bid would probably draw at least 4-5 bids per contract.

I heard somewhere that 90% of Nassau County residents have cars, and if they need to go to the city they use the LIRR, so wheres the incentive to put a lot of money into LIB? Its for the most part unusable unless you are really poor and cant afford a car, the headways are too large to make it functional, especially on weekends. Only a couple of routes actually have headways that can compare to the NYC buses, some only have a few runs per day. Most its hourly or half hourly.

Wheres the incentive for people who own cars to use it? Many times its faster to just drive somewhere than wait for the bus to make its way there. To compare Nassau County to New York City is like comparing apples to oranges, suburbs are laid out and set up differently to a city.

Long Island bus might be better served by private contractors, go back to diesel fuel if they cant get CNG outside of the two depots. If it were up to me id have the MTA let go of the former private routes and let new private companies grab those lines. A new Queens Surface, a new Triboro Coach, for example. Get rid of the restrictions that doomed these private services and let them fill the void where the MTA wants to cut.

I heard somewhere that 90% of Nassau County residents have cars, and if they need to go to the city they use the LIRR, so wheres the incentive to put a lot of money into LIB? Its for the most part unusable unless you are really poor and cant afford a car, the headways are too large to make it functional, especially on weekends. Only a couple of routes actually have headways that can compare to the NYC buses, some only have a few runs per day. Most its hourly or half hourly.

Wheres the incentive for people who own cars to use it? Many times its faster to just drive somewhere than wait for the bus to make its way there. To compare Nassau County to New York City is like comparing apples to oranges, suburbs are laid out and set up differently to a city.

Long Island bus might be better served by private contractors, go back to diesel fuel if they cant get CNG outside of the two depots. If it were up to me id have the MTA let go of the former private routes and let new private companies grab those lines. A new Queens Surface, a new Triboro Coach, for example. Get rid of the restrictions that doomed these private services and let them fill the void where the MTA wants to cut.

Reverse Commuters from NYC also use LI Bus

I Agree, A New Jamaica Buses Inc. Would be like Winning A Million Dollars.

On that, I disagree; Nassau County should fund some, but that battle should be done another day after the MTA gets its house in order first.

Some NYCT express buses (not MTA Bus) should be cut, but that savings should go to NYCT local / limited service. It could replace lost routes like the Parkchester portion of the Bx14 which only has the BxM6 left on the lower portion. Get rid of that bus and the crowded Bx22 is all thats left, and that only serves part of Parkchester, going out of the way to another train station, which may make walking to 177 St seem much quicker.

Belive me, bluefoxie, I've seen the other 10% that actually NEED Long Island Bus. I'm sort of a special case when it comes to why I ride the bus (leave it at "can't drive"), it's not like I can't afford it or am disabled... LIB serves the biggest mall in New York and the largest single-campus community college in the state, but it also serves several hospitals and medical centers, the biggie being Nassau County's Health & Human Service building right down the street from Nassau Community and Mitchel Field depot... hell, the only people I see on here other than the poor, disabled, or MTA employee (have only seen three in my 9 months of using LIB) are people that have bad driving records...

It runs through some of the poorest areas of LI, and if a bus DID run through a nice area of the county (say, Valley Stream or Lynbrook or Great Neck), it's gone or you don't see many people ride it (gone in the case of VS, not very busy in Lynbrook's case). Doesn't help that all the expletive-ing 17 year olds got licenses when all they do is dick around with all of their friends in their [American car from 1996-2001]. Does the MTA expect me to **** a license out of a body crevice and get a car, or is it punishing me for failing to adhere to society's "rule" of "get permit at 16, lessons/driver's ed until 17, pass that one road test or you can't drive?"

I'll stop here.

On that, I disagree; Nassau County should fund some, but that battle should be done another day after the MTA gets its house in order first.

Part of the (MTA) getting it's house in order involves the state giving them enough money to help support the system, and not telling them to take out another loan like a former governor did in 2001. Part of that also involves making other municipalities pay their fare share. If you're going to get rid of express bus service because of a lack of profit, that's fine. But to take away from one part to give to a less deserving party doesn't make any sense. If Nassau county refuses to pay their fair share for the service then they don't deserve to have the (MTA) fund them. Times are too tough for everyone not to chip in. If I don't want to pay my fare to ride the train or bus, then I just don't ride the train or bus. If Nassau County (and I know I'm reiterating myself) doesn't want to pay for the bus service, then as far as I'm concerned tough titties!

Difference: express buses are more of a luxury; local buses are more or a necessity. If necessary, create more Limited service on routes to and from the city, such as on the N22.

You're missing the point. That's like someone asking you to trade in your Mercedes Benz for a Pinto, because your neighbor refuses to pay for their Saturn.

They'll need a bunch of NGs or RTSs since they don't have a CNG facility. My guess would be they could send the CNGs to CP and SC and SC sends BP their hybrids.

I have a freind that's a bus driver at BP and Me and him were saying that SC might give BP their Hybirds when they get New Buses (CNG), That would make more sence, The (MTA) wanted BP to be an all Hybird depot but the changed their mind.

You're missing the point. That's like someone asking you to trade in your Mercedes Benz for a Pinto, because your neighbor refuses to pay for their Saturn.

Express service though is killing the MTA budget. Unless it's operated rush hours only with part-times, that's a lot of salary and fuel you're using that's unneeded.

The QM 24 is a luxury, the x90 was a big luxury. SI express service is not a luxury, it's a nessesity.

Agreed 100%.

Well yeah for lines like the X1 and X17 and any other ones filled to the brim. But surely there must be some room for trimming on SI.

IMO another one of the Hylan Boulevard routes should have been cut as well so an extra bus or two could be added to the other routes, which would come from the cut route. I'd renumber the routes X2-7, and the X12 and 42 would be renumbered X8 and X9 respectively.

Archived